• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Iris And/Or Cilan Continue Travelling With Ash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about it: both Brock and Dawn left, did they not?
Yes, but Brock has traveled with Ash through four different regions; Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. So why couldn't they begin a new trend by having Cilan and/or Iris travel with Ash to more regions?

Yes, but Brock has traveled with Ash through four different regions; Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. So why couldn't they begin a new trend by having Cilan and/or Iris travel with Ash to more regions?

It's possible that Cilan could travel to Kalos to meet up with Ash, depending on if there's a character from the games that could take his role or not, but I still say that Iris has no chance of continuing on for another region. I see no reason as to why they would break the tradition of changing the female leads every season with Iris, especially when she doesn't offer much marketing wise for the new generation and the writing is on the wall regarding her departure.

I will remind you that if you watched the beginning of both AG and DP with no knowledge of what was going to happen, then you would think Ash is going to be by himself in both regions, barring the focus on Dawn in DP.

Yes, I know. I watched the whole entire series. So, I know that he goes on his own. My memory slipped for ten seconds when I posted that. Perhaps Cilan will meet up with Ash, but I still have my doubts that Iris will.

For me personally Cilan would be perfect for the Kalos Region. First is the fact that he strives to be one of the best Pokémon Connoisseurs around and we all know where the origins of the Connoisseur started in France which Kalos is based off of. Secondly he is only an A-Class Connoisseur so maybe they could create a story for him where he strives to become an S-Class Connoisseur and what better place than Kalos. Overall I feel like there is still some hope for Cilan to come back.

I bet their going to be new companions because that`s the way it always goes!
For once,They should spice up the story.I`m okay with Iris and Cilan but the Black and white story changed everything all the charas are great but some of them have changed...ALOT!! First up,In Black and White Team Rocket Isn`t Not the Team Rocket I used to Know.
ASH Has Totally changed,And there`s thousand things more I would say but I`ll just keep them to myself.The point is I really hope to see the Kalos Region improved.:spin:

Cilan has actually grown on me, I used to hate him. I hope there are 3 traveling companions this time so maybe cilan will be one.

I think Cilan will stay but not Iris. If Iris doesn't travel to the Kalos Region with Ash, I wonder who's going to be the third companion?

I see Cilan pulling a Brock on us and returning, but I'd say Iris is leaving due to XY being a separate series from BW. The only reason Misty stayed during Johto, is because the Johto arc was incorporated into the Original Series saga.

I hope they don't pull a Brock for Cilan because I'm pretty much bored with him. His pokemon is stale and most is underused and I don't think it's fair to give him needed attention in XY when they haven't in BW. There are so many characters they can use. If they cared about Cilan then they should have treated him better.

Well i do believe that Iris & Cilan will be travelling with Ash to the Kalos region, just because they weren't seen in the X&Y anime series preview trailer, doesn't mean they won't be seen again with Ash.

If i recalled the reason why Misty and Brock stayed for the Johto arc series was due too it being part of the Original series.

I hope they don't pull a Brock for Cilan because I'm pretty much bored with him. His pokemon is stale and most is underused and I don't think it's fair to give him needed attention in XY when they haven't in BW. There are so many characters they can use. If they cared about Cilan then they should have treated him better.

I like Cilan and I wouldn't mind if they went the Brock route with him, but I can understand why people wouldn't want to either. He could become stale and he hasn't really gotten much in BW.

Pikacuh said:
Well i do believe that Iris & Cilan will be travelling with Ash to the Kalos region, just because they weren't seen in the X&Y anime series preview trailer, doesn't mean they won't be seen again with Ash.

If i recalled the reason why Misty and Brock stayed for the Johto arc series was due too it being part of the Original series.

I see no reason why both Iris and Cilan would be traveling with Ash in the Kalos region. Like you said, the only reason why Misty and Brock stayed for Johto was due to how it was part of the original series. I also still think that they wanted to have the original trio as the main cast again after the Orange Islands. But XY is a separate series, so it wouldn't have an excuse like that to use the same cast as a previous arc. Besides that, I don't think that they would have two fifth generation characters in a series that promotes the sixth generation and the writing is on the wall regarding Iris leaving. I think that Cilan staying is possible, but it depends on if there's a character from the games that could take his role and maybe the popularity of his Japanese voice actor. Iris, on the other hand, doesn't have any chance to stay. She really has nothing to offer in terms of promoting the new generation, there's no story reason for her to travel through Kalos and unlike with Cilan, there are already characters from the games that could easily take Iris's role in the cast.

I like Cilan and I wouldn't mind if they went the Brock route with him, but I can understand why people wouldn't want to either. He could become stale and he hasn't really gotten much in BW.

Pikacuh said:

I see no reason why both Iris and Cilan would be traveling with Ash in the Kalos region. Like you said, the only reason why Misty and Brock stayed for Johto was due to how it was part of the original series. I also still think that they wanted to have the original trio as the main cast again after the Orange Islands. But XY is a separate series, so it wouldn't have an excuse like that to use the same cast as a previous arc. Besides that, I don't think that they would have two fifth generation characters in a series that promotes the sixth generation and the writing is on the wall regarding Iris leaving. I think that Cilan staying is possible, but it depends on if there's a character from the games that could take his role and maybe the popularity of his Japanese voice actor. Iris, on the other hand, doesn't have any chance to stay. She really has nothing to offer in terms of promoting the new generation, there's no story reason for her to travel through Kalos and unlike with Cilan, there are already characters from the games that could easily take Iris's role in the cast.

There's no way to tell what will happen until the final episodes air.

Your right, besides the Original trio is still popular this very day.

Last edited:
Maybe the Best Wishes series will include both Unova AND Kalos, so all the characters can stay :)

Maybe the Best Wishes series will include both Unova AND Kalos, so all the characters can stay :)

The XY series was confirmed to be its own separate series with the reveal of the logo as the Best Wishes! portion of the logo was absent.

But there's still a chance that Iris and Cilan will come. Cilan only has 3 pokémon and Iris only has 4. They need 6!

The XY series was confirmed to be its own separate series with the reveal of the logo as the Best Wishes! portion of the logo was absent.

But there's still a chance that Iris and Cilan will come. Cilan only has 3 Pokémon and Iris only has 4. They need 6!

Not necessarily. Don't forget that DP ended without Brock having a full team.
He only had Chansey, Sudowoodo, and Croagunk (for a grand total of 3 Pokémon). But Iris could have more Pokémon by the time when/if she makes a cameo in XY, so that's something to look forward to.

I still think Cilan could come back like Brock did in AG, but I think Iris is as good as gone for her reign as a main character. And on top of that, this is what was translated when the XY anime was announced:

"Ash and Pikachu arrive in Lumiose City at the center of Kalos region. There they encounter new Pokémon not seen before and new friends await!! The Kalos League is a new adventure to challenge Ash and Pikachu whose dream of becoming a Pokémon Master continues!!"

P.S.
Please don't take this as an insult or anything. I'm just explaining the probability of Iris and Cilan being in XY, that's all.

Last edited:
There's no way to tell what will happen until the final episodes air.

Your right, besides the Original trio is still popular this very day.

There's no reason for me to think that Iris has a chance of staying on the cast. There's no reason in-universe or marketing wise why she would travel to Kalos or why they would choose to keep her over a sixth generation character. So, I see no reason to just wait until the final episode when the writing is on the wall for Iris to leave for sure.

Weavile Warrior said:

Like Gen6fan mentioned, XY is already a separate series, so this wouldn't be like with the original series in that one series covers more than one generation.

Weavile Warrior said:
But there's still a chance that Iris and Cilan will come. Cilan only has 3 pokémon and Iris only has 4. They need 6!

No they don't. Why would they need a full team of six? They aren't active enough to where they would need a full team like Ash, May and Dawn. I don't think Brock ever had a full team, although I think he was close with five in Johto before he gave Vulpix back. Plus, he left when he only had three Pokemon. Misty did have a full team by a certain point in Kanto, but she honestly had too many Pokemon because she was a sidekick as opposed to a co-star and wasn't active enough to warrant a full team. It's the same with Cilan and Iris. Three to four Pokemon is a good amount for sidekick characters that aren't that active, so they don't need a full team.

Personally, I think there's strong evidence to support Cilan coming back.

- His rivalry with Burgundy was never settled.
- He can still move-up in his ranks, and he really didn't do anything with his connoisseur title.
- There doesn't seem to be a suitable male companion in XY
--- Of course there's the possibility he just hasn't been revealed yet, but out of the ones we got...
First off, the male companion has always been the Gym Leader of the first gym, but this time, the first leader is not male.
Second, Tierno and Trevor don't seem like the kind of people who can cook delicious meals. Maybe Tierno, but I don't think him and his goal would fit in well with Ash. Also, Trevor's goal is to complete the Pokedex, which would make me believe he'll probably be a battler, and if not, his goal just seems too boring to travel with Ash.

It's possible though that I'm completely wrong and Cilan won't ever be back after BW.

Iris is probably not going to be featured in the X and Y anime. Cilan will possibly, but his character isn't going anywhere in Best Wishes, so I doubt it will go somewhere in X and Y. Some new companions that actually affect the storyline somehow would really nice to see.

First off, the male companion has always been the Gym Leader of the first gym, but this time, the first leader is not male.
There were only three male companions that lasted at least a season- Tracey, Cilan, and Brock. Tracey isn't a Gym Leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom