• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Will the 20th Anniversary Bring A Pokémon Yellow Remake?

BlackButterfree

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
After Kalos and its Kanto-centric Pokédex (4/5 legendaries available, 5/5 starters available and 110+ out of the 151 available) I'm sure most Pokéfans are fed up with Kanto.

But with the 20th anniversary only 2 years away, it's almost a given that Generation 7 will have the 20th anniversary games and knowing GameFreak, it'll be Kanto-centric. So here's what I'd like to see; A Pokémon Yellow remake, another game based off of the anime.

But where the original Yellow was just Red/Green/Blue with a few tweaks and Jessie and James, Pokémon Bolt Yellow would be completely faithful to the anime. In fact, in my mind, it's a 3DS version of Pokémon AshGray, probably the most faithful anime hack, which encompasses both Kanto and the Orange Archipelago. But that's not all! It would also include the Sevii Islands and Johto, allowing you to experience the first five seasons of the anime first-hand.

For the first time in any Pokémon game, you have permanent traveling companions in the forms of Misty, Togepi, Tracey and Brock. Your starter is Pikachu, he follows you around, and while you can catch them all, you can also sit back and fill up your Pokédex like a boss. And experience all 5 movies in real time.

The ability to travel through and win the Orange and Johto leagues as well as Kanto's would not only lessen the "ugh!" factor of another Kanto adventure, but it would also successfully bring all the regions into the 3DS era (Sinnoh and Unova remakes, if they ever come to fruition, would also be on the 3DS or the next console, making the entire Pokémon world 3D!) and being based on the anime would provide a welcome twist on the old games.

What would you guys think about that? And even if GameFreak doesn't do this, I could totally see some amazing ROM hackers make that into its own game.

I'd be more happy with one where event-only pokemon from the past can be caught in-game.

I understand that there's a lot of people who are fans of the anime, and who would very much love to experience the Orange Islands in game form, but the mechanics of coding each different Orange League battle would be too much. BY that, I mean too many hours coding them, too much time spent testing the system, and too much time trying to explain it to the player. Young children who frequently button mash their way through the game wouldn't understand it, and the payoff is non-existent. All that time spent coding a pokemon-themed bobsled race could be better spent adding much more to the game. At most, all you'd get is a bunch of optional battles that have little to no fun/benefit to the player (sky battles, anyone?)

I do like the idea of being able to experience more than one region. That's why I loved gen 2 so much. After you beat the Elite 4, you had a lovely surprise of travelling to Kanto and kicking all sorts of Gen 1 ass there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, or diss your idea. In fact, something similar to this may indeed happen (you never know). All I'm trying to do is give my insight as to why I THINK this wouldn't work. Who knows? I may be the most incorrect person to ever speculate on a Gamefreak idea. On the other hand, I may be correct.

We will see.

I love this idea, some of it is a little ambitious (all 5 movies???)

but yeah I'd love a Pokemon PikaYellow, where all original 151 are catchable, yes even Mew, and the events are tied even closer to the cartoon.
I think the Orange/Sevii Islands could also be included as mini games, bob sled racing etc.

I'd be more happy with one where event-only pokemon from the past can be caught in-game.

I understand that there's a lot of people who are fans of the anime, and who would very much love to experience the Orange Islands in game form, but the mechanics of coding each different Orange League battle would be too much. BY that, I mean too many hours coding them, too much time spent testing the system, and too much time trying to explain it to the player. Young children who frequently button mash their way through the game wouldn't understand it, and the payoff is non-existent. All that time spent coding a pokemon-themed bobsled race could be better spent adding much more to the game. At most, all you'd get is a bunch of optional battles that have little to no fun/benefit to the player (sky battles, anyone?)

I do like the idea of being able to experience more than one region. That's why I loved gen 2 so much. After you beat the Elite 4, you had a lovely surprise of travelling to Kanto and kicking all sorts of Gen 1 ass there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, or diss your idea. In fact, something similar to this may indeed happen (you never know). All I'm trying to do is give my insight as to why I THINK this wouldn't work. Who knows? I may be the most incorrect person to ever speculate on a Gamefreak idea. On the other hand, I may be correct.

We will see.

I love this idea, some of it is a little ambitious (all 5 movies???)

but yeah I'd love a Pokemon PikaYellow, where all original 151 are catchable, yes even Mew, and the events are tied even closer to the cartoon.
I think the Orange/Sevii Islands could also be included as mini games, bob sled racing etc.

Well, I did mention Pokémon AshGray, and they have the first movie as a playable event (granted it's a little... underwhelming in places, but it's still freakin' amazing) and that's just a fanmade FireRed hack, so imagine what GameFreak themselves could do with it if they wanted to. And also in that game, the sled race (and the sea race) is akin to the Safari Zone's 500 step limit, you have to complete the race in as few steps as possible, as opposed to an actual race. Although there are definitely some aspects (like the Water Gun competition) where there could be issues, I still maintain that if a ROM hacker can do it, so can the actual developers.

And I can't wait for it to be completed (it's still missing the 2nd movie and about 20 episodes of the Orange League. I think it's still not to the point where you beat the Orange Champion). But yeah, IMO that would be a great way for them to bring back tons of old fans and shove more Kanto down our throats without long-term fans getting sick of it. Because the anime's plot is so different from the original games.

Hey guys just a mod note: Lets refrain from talking about ROM Hacks/Fan games please. Thank you.

I thought it was ok to talk about them as long as you don't post links to them. Sorry. And since this thread is similar to what I was talking about in the CoroCoro thread (the unfortunate possibility that we might get even more Kanto remakes on the 20th anniversary), I hope it's ok to bump it.

I'd like to see a future game of gen 1 but I don't want it to be another Red/Blue/Green remake as I don't see any reason to make remakes of remakes.
I do like what @BlackButterfree; suggested of a game based off of the anime.
But I don't know how likely that is for the 20th anniversary, if we don't get that we could get a sequel to Red/Blue/Yellow (even though that's basically Gold/Silver but in a different region).

(PPF, I love your avi and siggy) :)

I want a sequel to Red/Blue/Yellow. Where you see Ash come down off the mountain and find out what Gary does. Ash and Gary need Megastones for Mega Pikachu and Mega Umbreon xD

I wouldn't mind a remake of the Kanto region, the only thing I wouldn't be fond of is another remake of the RBY story.
Why not, to celebrate it's 20th anniversary, make a game based in Kanto but 20 years later. So not really a remake but just a revisit to the Kanto region. I put the 20 yeas in italic because 20 sounds a really long time, maybe to long. Damn those games are old!

I think Z will be released around that time, so I don't think a brand new game will be made that's set in Kanto. If games are involved I hope (I don't know how likely it is) Nintendo puts Red/Green/Blue or even FireRed/LeafGreen on the Virtual console for the 3DS.

I'd like to see a future game of gen 1 but I don't want it to be another Red/Blue/Green remake as I don't see any reason to make remakes of remakes.
I do like what @BlackButterfree; suggested of a game based off of the anime.
But I don't know how likely that is for the 20th anniversary, if we don't get that we could get a sequel to Red/Blue/Yellow (even though that's basically Gold/Silver but in a different region).

Yeah, I also wouldn't mind ACTUAL sequels that take place in Kanto. As long as it's not the same story as Red/Blue. Have us start out in... Cinnabar and have Team Rocket replaced by... Team Whatever or Something. But let the story be different.

(PPF, I love your avi and siggy) :)

I want a sequel to Red/Blue/Yellow. Where you see Ash come down off the mountain and find out what Gary does. Ash and Gary need Megastones for Mega Pikachu and Mega Umbreon xD
I think Mega Blastoise would be more appropriate, considering that was his first and it has a Mega right now. Mega Charizard Y would be appropriate for Ash, since Mega Pikachu would be a big middle finger to Raichu

I highly doubt it would be a Yellow remake. There's nothing really to gain from that and the starter distribution discourages trading.

IDK if they'd do this, but I'd like to see a legitimate sequel to RB that takes place after GSCHGSS and adds some constructive changes to the region. That includes Dex expansions including not just the cross gen evos, but actual new families to fix the sheer lack of variety in the Kanto Dex. You think the Hoenn Dex is imbalanced? Even if we add in cross gen evos and Mega Evolutions, we still have only 2 Dark types (Umbreon and Mega Gyarados), 3 Steel types (Magnezone, Steelix, and Scizor), 3 Dragon types (Mega Charizard X, Kingdra, and Dragonite) and a whopping 1 Ghost type (Gengar)! Fairy is also a little low, with only four of them (Clefable, Wigglytuff, Mr. Mime, and Sylveon). The lack of balance here is completely unacceptable, and the next time we go back to Kanto they need to fix this.

They could also take advantage of some of the changes GSCHGSS made to provide some constructive changes to the region. For instance, mainland Kanto has no volcano environment, but in GSCHGSS a volcano comes out of seemingly nowhere and destroys the Cinnibar Island. Why can't we explore this volcano? It would add variety to the region, make a good habitat for certain Pokemon (I can imagine finding stuff like Grimer, Koffing, Growlithe/Vulpix, Magmar, and Rhydon there). Furthermore, it would make a good permanent home for Moltres, who's been moved around in pretty much every iteration of Kanto its appeared in. In addition to this, they could make a third island off the coast of Rt. 19 that is Electric themed (I'm thinking like Mt. Layuda in Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs) that could make a good home for Zapdos and would have some Electric, Ground, and Steel types (Electabuzz, Magneton, Electrode, Marowak, Rhydon, Steelix). Then there's the House of Memories, which we couldn't explore in GSCHGSS but makes a perfect replacement for Pokemon Tower, and they could flesh it out with more Ghost types. Lastly, what about that building in Vermillion City that's been in development for an eternity? It would be a perfect place for a new battle facility or a region specific gimmick.

Since they're recreating the entire region with 3D graphics, it would be a good time to make some significant design changes. The region as a whole is really flat, short, and clustered. Lengthen some of the routes so that you can't just pass through them in 5 seconds (Rt. 5, Rt. 6, Rt, 7, Rt. 16, and Rt. 18 in particular could use lengthening), and make some of the mountainous routes like Rt. 3 and Rt. 9 more... mountainy. Like Rt. 208 for instance, where you actually progress uphill and have paths running at different levels. Also, spread out the gyms some, it's not really much of an adventure if all of the gyms are one short route away, and half of them are in that short, clustered central area.

Kanto could also stand to expand a bit with new areas, the region is a bit on the small side. The most obvious thing to do is add new areas to the north, starting with a new cliffside route (think Rt. 47 or Kalos Rt. 8) leading north from Rt. 25 and one or two new gyms in that area. And then maybe the new section could loop back around to Mt. Moon (which fits together nicely, because I think Mt. Moon would make a good location for the storyline's climax).

Storyline wise, I wouldn't mind them sticking with Team Rocket, but they need to make them more of a threat. Having them just show up in random areas for random petty crimes make them an utter joke and there's no actual storyline there. I want to see them go bigger and come up with some kind of coordinated and more threatening plan than anything they've done before. Maybe they could do something with Mega Evolution, like steal Pokemon, come up with a way to artificially Mega Evolve them, and use Mega Evolutions to take over Kanto. Now that would be a compelling story, it would be an overarching plot and you would have a compelling reason to stop them.

So yeah, that would be a great way to revisit Kanto, make it feel fresh, and truly modernize the region.

Last edited:
Maybe if the third XY game(s) are released during that time it could be expanded to include at least Kanto and Johto some how. Like having actual plains that can fly you from Kalos or the possible new region to the Kanto/Johto area.

Or maybe they'll release the third game backed with the 20th anniversary "sequel" game to the first two gens. Like have both of them happening at the same time and then somehow connecting themselves.

Maybe if the third XY game(s) are released during that time it could be expanded to include at least Kanto and Johto some how. Like having actual plains that can fly you from Kalos or the possible new region to the Kanto/Johto area.

Or maybe they'll release the third game backed with the 20th anniversary "sequel" game to the first two gens. Like have both of them happening at the same time and then somehow connecting themselves.

Dear God, I hope it's not a two region game. There's simply no way multiple regions can work without screwing up the pacing.

I would not buy a new Kanto game if it did not include Johto. FRLG's biggest crime besides forcing you to use only the original 151 was not including Johto. With 8 GB of space on a 3DS cartridge, there would be no excuse for not including Johto. The game would also have to be a sequel as I have no interest in playing through that awful storyline again. There's no need to revisit Red's story. It's time for another protagonist and to see how much Kanto/Johto have changed.

Dear God, I hope it's not a two region game. There's simply no way multiple regions can work without screwing up the pacing.

Techically if gone with the first option it would be a three region game (Kalos/unknown region >> Kanto >> Johto) and if gone with the second one it would still be three given that the Sevii Islands could make an appearance. Maybe they could expand upon them and give them more stuff to do or give them the aforementioned Orange Islands style unofficial puzzle-only gyms. You can even reverse it and have it go Kanto >> Johto >> Kalos/unknown region if it ends up connecting to the third game(s) in anyway.

Personally I liked G/S/C/HGSS because having more than one region gave you more stuff to do in the post game and prolonged the post-story fatigue.

They can just restrict you from visiting another region until you beat the pokemon league for the first time. Problem solved.

They can just restrict you from visiting another region until you beat the pokemon league for the first time. Problem solved.

No it's not. There's only three ways that multiple regions can even work:

1. Having the first region be underleveled
2. Having the second region be overleveled, most likely with you reaching Lv. 100 before you're even done.
3. Messing with the pacing so that you only level up half as fast.

And none of those options are particularly preferable really, it either makes the game too easy or too long.

There is also another option...

Start in Kanto. Go through. Beat the Elite 4 and Champion.
Decide what region to go through next.
You get to pick one Pokemon to take with you. It is "reset" to level 5, but stays fully evolved, and with the same moveset. All your other Pokemon are reset in the same way, but locked away in your PC until after, say, the 4th badge.
Go through. Beat the Elite 4 and Champion.
Go to the final region.
Pick one Pokemon. It's "reset" to level 5. Stays fully evolved. Same moves. All other Pokemon reset in the same way. Locked in your PC until 4th gym badge.
Beat Elite 4. Beat Champion. Everything unlocked.

Boom.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom