• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Will the 20th Anniversary Bring A Pokémon Yellow Remake?

They did celebrate the 10th anniverary by way of distributing the Generation I starters and launching a special website which commemorated the series' history as well as promoting Diamond and Pearl. In the US, there was a series of events called Pokémon 10th Anniversary Journey Across America. As for Diamond and Pearl themselves, they were the first entries of a new generation, so logically they were more about new things than the past. Game Freak had already remade Red and Green by that point, and it made sense that they didn't wait until the anniversary because the GBA was being rendered obsolete by then.

Yeah, but none of those things are games specifically designed as a celebration for Pokemon's anniversary.

The DS and 3DS didn't share the same wireless protocol; we don't know how the successor will be handled. I am not really advocating this possibility, but it's hardly impossible and it's something that Nintendo may want Game Freak to do.

New hardware also tends to bring with it changes in gameplay and features like the Roller Skates and the PSS. So putting a mid gen game on another console would either drastically change the gameplay or it would end up underutilizing the hardware. In the end, it makes a lot more sense for those gameplay features to coincide with a new generation.

TheTaking over the world or a region is pretty one-dimensional. Creating artificial Mega Evolutions isn't dramatically different than Team Rocket attempting to induce evolution via radio waves.

Too bad that in GSCHGSS' case, that plan was largely inconsequential. It didn't really affect the plot that much and had very little to do with their end goal, which has to try and get Giovanni to return to them (which is a pretty pathetic goal in the first place). That's the difference between Team Rocket and later evil teams, the other evil teams usually have a concrete goal that spans the entire game and ties in with most if not all of their actions, while Team Rocket's encounters are mainly a string of petty crimes loosely strung together by the ever vague "take over the world" goal. I would say it doesn't really matter as much that their goal of world domination is one dimensional, because other evil teams have been equally one dimensional (BW2 Team Plasma had that very same goal as a matter of fact), just that they have more specific plans for accomplishing them. The Mega Evolution plan I proposed would fix that, because it could tie the encounters together in an interesting way and add more depth to their plans, which would make them much more interesting villains.

Yeah, but none of those things are games specifically designed as a celebration for Pokemon's anniversary.
I've already explained why the timing wasn't right for an anniversary game back then, and why the 20th anniversary will probably be a different case.

New hardware also tends to bring with it changes in gameplay and features like the Roller Skates and the PSS. So putting a mid gen game on another console would either drastically change the gameplay or it would end up underutilizing the hardware. In the end, it makes a lot more sense for those gameplay features to coincide with a new generation.
Agreed. Continuing this generation via the successor would only benefit Nintendo, but it's still something that might happen.

because other evil teams have been equally one dimensional (BW2 Team Plasma had that very same goal as a matter of fact), just that they have more specific plans for accomplishing them. The Mega Evolution plan I proposed would fix that, because it could tie the encounters together in an interesting way and add more depth to their plans, which would make them much more interesting villains.
Clearly you're content with one-dimensional villains, but I am not. It is very easy to criticize all the villainous teams we've had (especially Magma, Aqua and Flare), but at least Black and White set a higher standard. I am just saying that your proposed idea isn't my idea of doing something interesting.

I wouldn't mind. As long as I get to dump Pikachu in a box and let it rot (or if I could release it) I would be a very happy person.

@Silktree; At this point, I don't think the 3DS' successor will be out so early, they're still trying to push the 3DS and Wii U right now and there are several games in development that have yet to see the light of day (for instance, Miyamoto mentioned another Zelda game for 3DS), and while the 3DS is failing to meet expectations, it's not doing badly by any means. In addition, Nintendo has been hinting that the next generation console and handheld are supposed to be "like brothers" (presumably this means more of a PS4/Vita relationship with similar hardware and more cross platform features like cross buy and cross play), so I think they'll try a simultaneous release for the new handheld and console. With that in mind, I think a 2017 release for both of them is looking more and more likely, which would give the 3DS and Wii U decent lifespans (6 and 5 years respectively) and enough time to release the games they're still working on, but not too long that they start to fade into irrelevancy.

In terms of how this would affect Pokemon, I'm guessing that Nintendo is probably going to pressure Game Freak into getting the next gen games out earlier than they did with 6th gen, so there probably won't be enough time for a filler generation like 5th gen. I'm guessing that the next gen games might release in either 2017 as launch titles or in 2018, depending on when they receive the devkit for the next handheld. If they can get them out in 2017, there won't be much of a problem because they can simply release Z/XY2 next year and leave 2016 as an off year and then there'd be no problem, but if it takes them until 2018, there's more of a problem because there'd be a 2 year gap in between Z/XY2 and 7th gen, and that's a little bit long. Unless they push Z/XY2 into 2016 and then 7th gen into 2018, they might have to make a 4th game for 6th gen to fill that time.
First off, if the next handheld is released in 2017, GF is likely going to have the devkit by 2016. They were the first ones to have the 3DS devkits way back in 2010, so they easily knew what they were doing when it comes to release gen 5 on the DS. Second off, the bolded is exactly what I'm saying. We're likely going to see 4 pairs or least 4 release periods for the series in this generation, having it a bit elongated.

It's a cool idea, but with the remakes of Hoenn and a possible third game for X and Y I don't see it happening

Because there is no way this Generation ends in 2015 with Z. 2016 will still likely be 3DS/Gen 6
First of all, Mitchman was discussing a total of four releases, with the last game being released in 2017. Why would you take four releases for granted when it's never happened before? Not to mention that it borders on stagnation and a lot of repetition. Secondly, do you have any evidence you want to share with us? Declaring that the 3DS' successor won't be released by the end of 2016 comes across as pure wishful thinking.

Silktree its simple. Anniversary game or not there is no reason to expect that GF will abandon the Kalos Region. Even with a new region mid generation*they aren't going to just up and forget the main focus, unless of course its included in said game.

Silktree its simple. Anniversary game or not there is no reason to expect that GF will abandon the Kalos Region. Even with a new region mid generation*they aren't going to just up and forget the main focus, unless of course its included in said game.
So you're combining two assumptions and arriving in an unlikely result that this generation will last five years; perhaps you should just stick to one assumption. I don't know how exactly the Kalos lore will be wrapped up (it really doesn't take much), but it simply doesn't have to warrant another main series Kalos game. And whatever they do about Zygarde, it should happen in 2015 or it will seem like an afterthought.

Because there is no way this Generation ends in 2015 with Z. 2016 will still likely be 3DS/Gen 6
First of all, Mitchman was discussing a total of four releases, with the last game being released in 2017. Why would you take four releases for granted when it's never happened before? Not to mention that it borders on stagnation and a lot of repetition. Secondly, do you have any evidence you want to share with us? Declaring that the 3DS' successor won't be released by the end of 2016 comes across as pure wishful thinking.

Yes 4 releases

2013-XY
2014-ORAS
2015-Z
2016-Gen 1 remake

Then we'd get 2017 Gen 7 start.

I don't know how exactly the Kalos lore will be wrapped up (it really doesn't take much), but it simply doesn't have to warrant another main series Kalos game.

Are you seriously suggesting there won't be another Kalos installment? I'm not sure whether it will be XZ YZ or plain old Z, but a 3d version(s) are definitely coming make no mistake

Last edited:
Yes 4 releases

2013-XY
2014-ORAS
2015-Z
2016-Gen 1 remake
This is a recipe for a very slippery slope. Say what you will about Game Freak, but they haven't gone that far with the repetiton yet. They've also demonstrated that they need a breather year in every generation; new games don't come out of thin air.

Are you seriously suggesting there won't be another Kalos installment? I'm not sure whether it will be XZ YZ or plain old Z, but a 3d version(s) are definitely coming make no mistake
That's what people told me when I predicted that Black and White wouldn't get a third version. Pattern-based thinking only goes so far, and Game Freak have already told us to look forward to a region that isn't Kalos or any of the older ones.

This is a recipe for a very slippery slope. Say what you will about Game Freak, but they haven't gone that far with the repetiton yet. They've also demonstrated that they need a breather year in every generation; new games don't come out of thin air.

That's what people told me when I predicted that Black and White wouldn't get a third version. Pattern-based thinking only goes so far, and Game Freak have already told us to look forward to a region that isn't Kalos or any of the older ones.

But B2W2 were still a main series game returning to Unova. I even said in my post its possible they could do sequels again in Gen 6.
I think it will be a 3rd version, but not ruling out sequels. What I think we can rule out though is your suggestion that that's it for Kalos. Kalos will definitely be featured in at least 1 more game this generation, there is no reason whatsoever to think otherwise.

Clearly you're content with one-dimensional villains, but I am not. It is very easy to criticize all the villainous teams we've had (especially Magma, Aqua and Flare), but at least Black and White set a higher standard. I am just saying that your proposed idea isn't my idea of doing something interesting.

All right, fair enough. I was simply pointing out that Team Rocket is even further below the norm than even Magma, Aqua, and Flare and how to fix that.

First of all, Mitchman was discussing a total of four releases, with the last game being released in 2017. Why would you take four releases for granted when it's never happened before? Not to mention that it borders on stagnation and a lot of repetition.

There's quite a few things they can do to keep 4 releases from being repetitive at this point, actually. To name a few, they could do a Kanto remake/sequel, a Hoenn sequel, or a new region like you've suggested. We've reached a point now where they can do just about anything they want, they could make a 4 game generation work now.

There's enough reasons to revisit Kalos, especially through a sequel. For one, there's Zygarde, who has new moves and presumably new forms to be shown off. Second, the storyline is still a bit open ended and could use expansion. It's a complete waste of potential with what they did with Malva in XY, having a character that is both a member of the evil team and an Elite 4 member is too interesting to pass up and could bring about some neat plot twists. They could also explore what happened to Lysandre and what became of his lab after the events of XY. And then they could show what has happened to other characters in the time since like AZ, Professor Sycamore, and Korrina. Lastly, like Unova was in its first game, Kalos is a little small and empty and could stand to be fleshed out a bit. What kinds of areas could we explore in the south? How about the northeast? Can we explore any other areas post game besides Kiloude City? So yeah, there's plenty they could do with this game that would warrant another visit.

I fail to see how much more stagnant it would be then 6 games across 3 gens released annually (in the west at least) or if going by japan's releasr schedule with a one year break between the two halves. And what I'm suggesting uses a break in between the first two gen 6 releases, and allows a break for the series in general. And an anniversary game if anything wouldn't be JUST a gen 6 game, so on a technical level its 3 releases.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom