• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will We Hear More Pre-BW Music as Best Wishes Progresses?

Kazamatsuri

GO FOR THE GOAL!
Reaction score
If you watched the latest episode that aired in Japan, you probably notice that Team Rocket's Sinnoh Theme music was used. It was obviously meant to symbolize the trio reverting back to their former comedic selves. But could it also mean that the Anime will start using tracks from from previous regions on a regular basis once again?

I certainly hope so. As much as I'm developing a fondness for BW music, it would be nice to get in a little variety.

The BW music sounds like something the dub created, so I certainly hope we start hearing the old stuff again soon. I don't think they can keep using the same few music cues for the next three years.

Only if BW starts having more continuity with older arcs and drops this, "psuedo-reboot" theme it had going.

If you rewatch early DP or early AG, there are TONS of references to old episodes. DP4 had Ash bringing up Ho-oh to Dawn for goodness sakes.

In BW we have not had Ash mention a single thing he did in an older arc. Hence the lack of old music.

The BW music sounds like something the dub created, so I certainly hope we start hearing the old stuff again soon. I don't think they can keep using the same few music cues for the next three years.

I like the opening, the rock BW theme when Meguroco and Pika were battling, and the music that played when Mijumaru beat Yanappu. It can get boring if played a lot.

What's so bad about the BW music that makes it sound like Dub music?

@Scott I'm tired of saying this Best Wishes! is not a reboot. Never was never will be. Hanako and Okido appearing. Haruka's Teddiursa charm, the twinleaf trophy, the soothe bell, Bibarel's headband, and the Summer school documents along with Okido saying he'd watch the other Pokemon and Pikachu's move set should be enough to prove that. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Only if BW starts having more continuity with older arcs and drops this, "psuedo-reboot" theme it had going.

If you rewatch early DP or early AG, there are TONS of references to old episodes. DP4 had Ash bringing up Ho-oh to Dawn for goodness sakes.

In BW we have not had Ash mention a single thing he did in an older arc. Hence the lack of old music.

His old Pokemon were mentioned, things he won in Sinnoh were on top of his dresser, TR, Prof. Oak, and Delia know who he is. I'd say the continuity is still there. BW is not a reboot, nor a "psuedo-reboot" or any sort of reboot. It's the same show.

Hopefully. As much as I enjoy the new tracks, the episodes are now lacking variety musically. Since they're not afraid to use older music as shown in this previous episodes and episodes with movie music (does that count?), I don't see why they'd be unwilling to use more.

His old Pokemon were mentioned, things he won in Sinnoh were on top of his dresser, TR, Prof. Oak, and Delia know who he is. I'd say the continuity is still there. BW is not a reboot, nor a "psuedo-reboot" or any sort of reboot. It's the same show.

You cannot deny that this gen moreso than the previous ones feels like more of a clean slate.

Hoenn on the other hand was treated as a direct sequel to the original seasons, with constant references and continuity, and Ash actually retained his knowledge and matured.

THAT was how you do a sequel series. BW doesn't feel like that at all.

Just because you feel that way, doesn't mean the series is a reboot.

So, I'm guessing all the music from Movie 12 and Movie 13 we've been hearing lately doesn't count? I know it's not the classics like the Kanto or Johto Champion themes but to say we've been hearing no old music before BW025 would be kind of... untrue. (Unless you're going by music made only for the TV Series, then I'd guess it'd be true.)

But then again I'm really fond of Movie 12's soundtrack, so maybe I'm just biased *shrugs*

EDIT: To answer the question, yes. I really doubt the producers plan on holding out all the old music we love for the entire series. I think that by the time the League rolls around (or hopefully a lot earlier) we'll be hearing a lot of old music just like in Advanced Generation and Diamond & Pearl.

Last edited:
So far the BW anime only played two "past" themes - the Pokemon theme that plays at the end of Episode 10, and Team Rocket's Sinnoh theme at the end of Episode 25.

We're assuming that TR's Sinnoh theme will be played as they become more prominent over the episodes. Also Team Rocket's Secret Strategy seems to be almost a given, assuming the anime is going back to the "get Pikachu and other pokemon" objective for TR.

I dunno, I hope so. I love the old music, especially ones from early on. Song like 'Friends' anniversary' and 'Tears after cloudy weather' are beautiful pieces of music which both played in DP191. They both have emotional value, and nothing in BW really has that. Apart from maybe that piece they keep on playing that sounds all magical.. I can't remember when they played it, I think when Snivy was lying down away from Ash in BW007.

Apart from maybe that piece they keep on playing that sounds all magical.. I can't remember when they played it, I think when Snivy was lying down away from Ash in BW007.

Sounds like the music that plays in Celestial Tower.

The BW music sounds like something the dub created

It's not. If you go on Bulbapedia, you'll find that the BW dub has kept most (if not all) of the original Japanese music intact.

I do miss some of the old music, especially this one Johto track that's played during climactic moments of some important battles (Ash v. Macey, Ash v. Gary Silver Conference). I wish I knew what it's called...

You cannot deny that this gen moreso than the previous ones feels like more of a clean slate.

Hoenn on the other hand was treated as a direct sequel to the original seasons, with constant references and continuity, and Ash actually retained his knowledge and matured.

THAT was how you do a sequel series. BW doesn't feel like that at all.
I really wish you would stop spamming the threads everyday with your baseless statement. You need PROOF.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm the only one who isn't too bothered by this. The show became saturated in way too much samey-sounding movie music in later years, and while it is a shame a lot of the nicer anime-only stuff/game remixes are gone for the moment, I can live with it. The majority weren't even used that much any more (or at all, in some cases) anyway. Take it or leave it, I think the new soundtrack does it's job well, and aids in giving the show the feeling that everything is 'new'. Perhaps not to the extent that the games accomplished, but it's definately there. In my eyes, that makes it one of the better points of what has been a pretty hit-and-miss 'toon thus far. As for variety, they've been gradually adding more pieces as the show plods on. Lots of people seemed to be pleasantly surprised with the recent Koaruhi episode, for example.

I'm confident they will go back to using older tracks, but I don't think it will be during the 'main bulk' of Best Wishes. If they do indeed pull an AG and introduce another little quest to prolong the series by a couple more years, that's when I could see them going back to using older stuff. If not that, then maybe around the show’s halfway point.

I'd like to hear some more pre-Best Wishes music, but I don't think the incredible lack of it is the problem. I think it is that they overplay some Best Wishes music while barely playing others that sort of irks me, mostly the battle music. Take the music they played for Pokabu vs Ishizumai and Kurumiru vs Ishizumai for instance; they're heard in roughly half of the battles while something like the Low HP music has only been played once or twice.

I think they just need to vary more with the music they are currently using, then maybe go back to adding the old pieces back.

I really like the BW anime music, both game-based and original tracks. They seem to be releasing more and more of them when the series goes on, and I like it. Plus, we'll have a bunch of new tracks after the Victini movie.

We were in the same situation in Kanto, where every music track was new and there was no stuff from previous generations. Did you guys think Kanto's music was dull, too?

We were in the same situation in Kanto, where every music track was new and there was no stuff from previous generations. Did you guys think Kanto's music was dull, too?

Different situation. In Kanto's case, there was nothing TO compare it to. That was literally the only music the show had at the time.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom