• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

Although I agree the use of old characters in new ways helps to estabilish a sense of world building and continuity the fans should have in mind you can only live out of the same characters for a certain time, even if you keep reworking them. Creating new characters is necessary because it is just a matter of time until people get bored of the same faces and demand diversity.
Of course, I would be more tolerant on Misty and Brock if the writers actually bothered to make use of their characters. Actually, I would be delightful, but it wouldn't last forever.
Pokémon is a cash cow anime with indefinite length, as long as the games sell there will be new regions. I can barely tolerate Ash and Team Rocket, imagine if the entire original cast were still there after over 17 years. That "going nowhere" atmosphere would be extended to everyone and I don't know if I could stand such a thing. In a franchise like Pokémon changes and rotations in the cast are necessary, but I would be way more satisfied to see the characters actually developed before they have to go.

Of course, it doesn't change the fact you can always bring them back once in a while, they don't need to be semi-permanent members of the main cast to still be in the show. A nice idea is to bring someone back and make he or she have a key role in a future arc or something like that.
But I have to add, in order to make a successful comeback the writers must firstly have in mind an actual idea on what to do with said character. Bringing someone back just for the sake of it or only because of fan demand is terrible if you don't have a clue on how to insert the character in the story. Such a thing would be just eye candy fanservice with no actual value behind it, in these cases my opinion would be a "no".

To answer this thread properly, I need to answer how to keep the show interesting as a whole.

Firstly, the central core of Pokemon's plot is inescapably progressive because its a journey. Therefore it is certain that fans will expect changes but also continuity, both of which must be preserved equally. The one thing that is certain there is no sign of ending the traveling to new regions, meeting new characters, and catching new Pokemon unless they stop being created altogether. Adventuring in the Pokemon world is what it is. Handling them is another. There needs to be more memorable experiences, special adventures to wondrous places and witnessing of unique human and Pokemon phenomena. This is often a high point of most every saga. There must always be an expectation that something exciting is just around the corner, even if the main story is the same as always.

Secondly, you can replace a character and lose continuity, or you can replace nobody and not get change. There are also varying levels of connection between characters, some are close friends, some are ok friends, some are simply acquainted. As friendship is the other central theme of Pokemon, these variations must also be preserved. The better they distribute varieties of relationships among the characters, the stronger their value and contribution to the show. We seek character changes because we seek relationship variety. We seek different perspectives and personalities and the exciting ways they meet. What if they...
Changed the Pokemon and keep the humans one season, then vice versa the next?

Had multiple traveling groups meet occasionally, comprised of varying relationships to each other and Ash?

Had every episode feature not only a new Pokemon and its development, but development for a main Pokemon and its trainer as well?

Created believable characters; ones who retain core lessons but need to relearn and be reminded of tougher ones, just as we in real life all forget things and need reminding. For example, why do people want Ash gone? For many, because his core retention is too narrow, because he's not believable and therefore, not interesting?

Or even to the extreme, used their vast wealth to run multiple anime series' simultaneously?

These are just a few ideas that could vastly improve Pokemon's quality by giving viewers the variety they expect.

In summary, repetition in some ways is inevitable, change in other ways is to be expected, and continuity must be preserved. The act of bringing back this and that, introducing so and so does not improve the show. Its when its done in order for Pokemon to use all its core elements to their fullest potential. For this reason, in my eyes old characters do not only improve the show, they are necessary to creating and maintaining a standard of quality.

it wouldn't improve if older characters were brought back necessarily, but it would benefit from not bringing new characters in so often - assuming the writing quality is good. The writing quality's effect on the show precedes the effect of any character, because a character can be written badly (DP Brock). They should vary it up more, not change the girl/possibly guy every season as they're doing now. Let Ash win a league and mentor someone else, maybe bring back an old character if it was relevant, like I always wanted to see Ash mentor Max when he grew old enough, but I guess time doesn't exist.

Brock always improves the series. The other characters, not so much.

Cha cha cha!

image.jpg

Although I agree the use of old characters in new ways helps to estabilish a sense of world building and continuity the fans should have in mind you can only live out of the same characters for a certain time, even if you keep reworking them. Creating new characters is necessary because it is just a matter of time until people get bored of the same faces and demand diversity.
Of course, I would be more tolerant on Misty and Brock if the writers actually bothered to make use of their characters. Actually, I would be delightful, but it wouldn't last forever.
Pokémon is a cash cow anime with indefinite length, as long as the games sell there will be new regions. I can barely tolerate Ash and Team Rocket, imagine if the entire original cast were still there after over 17 years. That "going nowhere" atmosphere would be extended to everyone and I don't know if I could stand such a thing. In a franchise like Pokémon changes and rotations in the cast are necessary, but I would be way more satisfied to see the characters actually developed before they have to go.

Of course, it doesn't change the fact you can always bring them back once in a while, they don't need to be semi-permanent members of the main cast to still be in the show. A nice idea is to bring someone back and make he or she have a key role in a future arc or something like that.
But I have to add, in order to make a successful comeback the writers must firstly have in mind an actual idea on what to do with said character. Bringing someone back just for the sake of it or only because of fan demand is terrible if you don't have a clue on how to insert the character in the story. Such a thing would be just eye candy fanservice with no actual value behind it, in these cases my opinion would be a "no".

To be fair this thread isn't advocating for original cast being kept until nowadays, but in questioning would return of replaced companions and in what way after long period of time improve series plot and overall quality. So arguably issue of long stay like its case with Ash wouldn't even be option in that case.

Although i do agree how sometime change is needed(though not always) in long on going show like pokemon series are to provide diversity and some new direction through which things would be taken, constant cast replacing pulls with itself exact same problem you would try avoiding by changing protagonists. Since in excessive doses such formula becomes just as repetitive, overused and predictable with nothing new to look forward to or be excited about. Following same old generic pattern leaving us with bunch of unfinished, never living to their full potential characters discouraging people from growing attached to them eroding continuity and impact they left on anime pretending like they never existed or had their own open plots and material to build upon contributing in anime losing on its identity and consistent on going story.

Which reflects negatively on Ash storyline due to no familiar face and established friendship, story between him and companion which transfers to next region which could create environment for more cohesive storytelling regarding protagonist in question getting carried over multiple regions through stability and continuity stable group allows .

While hindering creativity because writers aren't forced to innovate , make fresh directions through which pokemon series could become continuity based show which gradually develops characters since every individual they bring in anime leaves before he would even have chance for more meaningful growth.

Which is why im of belief how revival of popular fan favorites(especially very long absent ones like Misty, May or Max) for reasonable periods of time(like one season or even whole saga) would set up fopundation for development of characters and pokemon coming of in more believable way, making anime more continuity based filled with stable cast and solid story. Opening door toward more unique characterization and characters which stand out on their own going through more substantial growth, explore on different facets of personality, learn new things and develop forward in more complex way experiencing build up on his/her story by doing continuation of what has been established before.

Serving as injection to shake things up, bring unexpected twist to cast dynamic and overall plot being fresh and unpredictable gesture from writers side for a change. In sense of meeting up with Ash at some point traveling in company for awhile in same direction he is heading while showcasing newly acquired skills, forming new relationships and going on bigger, more challenging steps advancing career.

As loing its done in reasonable doses finding happy and balanced medium between addition of new companions and finding way through which previous ones could remain alive, promonent in some way receiving build up and way to infliuence new plots through their expertise, newly learned things and dreams in case they are compatible and allows to be infiltrated within main story.

Last edited:
The return of old characters is not necessarily going to be indicative of an increase of quality. While I would like to see Shinji and Reiji return--mostly to see Reiji challenge Jindai again and return to journeying--the series ought to be able to become better without leaning on previous characters. The games are constantly improving themselves through the introduction of new concepts and characters, the cartoon ought to, too.

That being said, I'd like to see Satoshi bring in Lizardon with a Mega Evolution to fight Hiroshi with his own Mega Lizardon. A few episodes with Hiroshi would be a neat idea.

Not at all. The anime would still have the same crappy writers and crappy dialogue, as well as being completely unprogressive story-wise with precious little character development and many of the same episode themes being reused again and again. Adding a character and claiming its "Misty" or "Brock" or whoever else would make no difference as the current writers wouldn't use them or develop them properly, aside from satisfying the nostalgic fans for a short time.

It would probably have a largely negative effect, as it would be seen as a futile attempt to pander to older fans. The character's mere existence isn't what made the original show great, it was how they were written and the roles they played. In my opinion, characters like Misty, Brock, Tracey, and others have already fulfilled their purpose. There's really no need to bring them back. It would just be pointless fan service.

Even if characters like Misty, Brock, May, Max, or Dawn returned, its not gonna make things any better if the writers don't use them in the right way. They could be around for a whole saga and if the writers neglect Dawn like they did in her Best Wishes 2 appearances, its not gonna make much of a difference. If they spend time trying to recreate group dynamics in the right way and make older characters actually do stuff and not stick to the background, then it would.

In the case of needing better development plans, I would say that it would be easier for the writers to improve using characters they are already well familiar with and then move on to more complex dynamics involving both old and new. They need a game plan, and I know I need to be careful what I wish for, but I'm willing to watch them take a risk with fan favorites more than anything. If and when they do however, my hope is we won't be too judgmental and start looking for ways in which they screw up to "prove" it didn't work. I kind of feel like that happened with Dawn in some areas.

I’ve seen Misty return for a two-parter in Advanced Generation, May return for the Wallace Cup arc in Diamond & Pearl, and Dawn return for the World Cup in Best Wishes. Frankly, I’d argue that the only one of these major returns that was actually good was May’s because she could actually add something to DP (her and Dawn both being Coordinators, which obviously wouldn’t apply in today’s anime). The others, who added nothing, ended up feeling like they were there just to be there (and I’ll just go ahead and predict now that when/if Iris makes her cameo in XY, it’ll be the same). In order for the return of an older character to improve anything, there needs to be something entertaining that they can contribute to the development of one of the current main characters (Ash, Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena) or to the larger story and I can’t think of a single character that could do either.

If the show were going to bring back older characters, I’d like it to be something like the usual “return to Pallet Town, go off a new journey” episode at the end of a region. After all, none of this is to say that it wouldn't be nice to see some old characters again. But I don’t really see any of them doing anything to improve the show’s quality overall. At best, it'd just be a nice nostalgia thing.

Well, i think it strongly depends on how these old characters are brougth back. If they start bringing back Ash's old "nemesis" and his former companions but still lack of character developement in terms of personality and skills, then i don't think it'll make much difference. I think that it would help a lot if the charcters presented were more complete in these aspects, wehether they are older ones or new ones (personally, i would love to see some old characters given the chance to fullfil their old goals and wishes, but even if the ones given this "chance" were not that old it would probably be good to the series too.)

Personally i don't view return of older characters necessarily as way to pander to older fans. Maybe partially which wouldn't seem like bad strategy since long term speaking more viewers means more customers which watch show and buy merchandize products, which leads to increase of ratings and more money.

But primarily i would consider revival of popular male and female leads as writers investing more in companions which showed to have requirements to bring necessary appeal and charisma to hook viewers on building on show continuity, more glued/cohesive storyline and better storytelling setting predispositions to create formula which could become appealing toward wider group of people.

Each of previous companions left in way which allows for sequel of his own development and story to be made. For instance May didn't became top coordinator and she still has room left to grow having unresolved issues with rivals, not finding her own style as coordinator with influence of Ash still showing to be present to degree, so in case of there appearing potential to contribute to current story and advertize new games(like RS remakes for example?)why not make good use of her?

Misty never became water pokemon master with writers leaving things unfinished and undefined with plots, dreams and motivations. Allowing to do logical progression from current position be it following Wallace footsteps to improve skills and come one step closer toward becoming renowned and wold class water expert, expand on what Whirl Cup introduced making step further in quest of becoming master. Trying to reach E4 position or becoming powerful water trainer apprentice would be logical and natural way of progression too tying her into current main storyline by looking for new ways to improve techniques and battle evaluators to determine if she is worthy for position.
Living up to E4 Lorelei making her both relevant to plot and influence Ash growth by giving him insight in how E4 works getting to know their strength and weakness revealing to him more about ways how to earn right to challenge and beat them.

Brock seems to be traveling again if last special was something to go by, so his story path could intertwine with Ash's again informing us more about his doctor career how far he progressed in his attempts of becoming doctor. Perhaps there could be held symposium for doctors in Kalos and ways to learn about mnore efficient, revolutionary ways of healing pokemon while helping Ash and pother pokemon in case they get injured or sick collecting valuable new knowledge in case of confronting new species reacting differently to potions than older ones would observing their anatomy.

Etc, etc.

Writers can and always will find reason to bring back previous character and make him important in storyline so thats not what i consider to be an issue, but more as would staff be able to keep up with pace and maintain steam reuse of older characters changing show structure and current formula would bring?

Dont get me wrong, in end whether quality would improve, decline or stay same in case of retuzrn older faces ultimately depends on writers and their idea how pokemon series should be written.

But at same time one of most important thing required to have stable story, strong continuity and endearing characterization which supports importance of friendship and consistent following lies in keeping links to roots of story you started in first place, characters which allowed that something gets developed and promoted on global basis making plot and tale your trying to told more believable, credible and filled with substance.
Which is something we all want and expect from anime we are watching.

And by return of popular older character this is possible to achieve being one step forward toward more quality based pokemon show, due to giving insight in past events which molded course of narrative, characters and plots which amounted to growth and hard work done prior to reaching point on which characters and story are standing right now.

Making it feel like you have story which is going somewhgere, how journey strong chemistry and friendship between characters, their dreams and all hard work they invested in accomplishing their aims was worth it, paying of in end. When you finally bring those from past back,explore on various quirks, fears and dimensions of their personality evolving on dynamic giving out feeling of inseparate commrades whose stories are intertwined depending on each other and doing build up on their story and development expanding on issues from past which may catch up on them whgen they reach certain point in development, go on next, higher level in their careers dealing with more demanding challenges, trainers and obstacles to overcome showuing that they came closer toward their ultimate destination.

Or even developing higher ambitions as result of growing and chamges through life which affected them continuing from where writers left things.

Which would without doubt in my mind be step toward more game changing formula by adding new innovations, and something untried before in pokemon helping in keeping ties with history strengthening continuity, have better developed cast and keep show fresh.

It might not automatically make it better, but it would give the show a fair chance.
Iris and Cilan are awful. Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena were even worse. Cilan kind of felt like a failed attempt to make a different Brock.
I want Brock and Dawn or Misty back!!!!!!!!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom