• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you consider yourself a happy person?

it depends. generally, no. there are times where i feel better than others, but for the past couple of months i've felt pretty bad and even worse than usual

without getting too into it here, i've had depression since i was sixteen. it makes it really hard for me to function. i'm also really bad in social situations because i lived a really sheltered home life to the point where i pretty much didn't interact with anyone outside of my family from the time i was nine to the time when i was fifteen or so. i'm not anxious, per se, but i'm definitely uncomfortable talking to people in situations if i'm not familiar with them [the situations]. worrying about job opportunities too, since i need to find a job by the end of the year at the latest.

i feel pretty isolated even among my friends, almost like i'm not a real person. usually i bug out a little and start thinking that they don't want me around and that they'd have a better time if i left. which probably isn't true. more likely—at least i hope—is that we're kind of confused about how to interact with each other
i keep trying to combat my suspicions of being unwanted or worthless or alien. it ain't easy

I am generally a very privileged person and I will always appreciate that. Still, all too often, I catch myself feeling depressed. I think part of it is just knowing about all of the evil shit going on in the world that I seem to have zero control over. Then there’s my personal goals that I feel are just stagnating, like getting my career rolling and learning how to drive so that I can be more self-reliant and have a relationship with someone. I’m still having some trouble getting over what’s pretty much the closest thing I’ve had to a romantic relationship, which only happened over the internet and just sort of slowly died. Today was even mostly a good day in terms of avoiding my depression, and I found myself randomly dwelling on it until I cried a little. Other days, I just feel like lying down and not doing anything I’m supposed to be doing. I’m hoping my mood will improve when my college quarter ends and I can focus more on the career stuff. We’ll see.

That's like asking if Daisy Ridley is awesome.

Yes I am happy. Devastatingly. I only realized it when I was about... fifteen? I suddenly became aware of a blistering joy which I had chosen to ignore, or perhaps had disregarded in my immaturity and desire to play martyr. I am anything but the latter. I'm privileged to the point of being disgusting, but not in the sense that most people recognize. Sure, I missed out on a few things. A lot, actually, but who cares? The bulk of my life has been brilliant. I can't even tell you how much. With every memory I get this intense vibe and its pretty wonderful stuff.

I am probably the happiest person anyone could ever hope to meet. This isn't a 'nya nya I'm happier than you' thing. This is serious stuff. Though admittedly I do like to give a rather contrary impression, but that's the theatrical side in me trying to come to live. I'm criminally self-aware, so it's like I'm always performing.

I'm hoping to make my future just as brilliant as my past. And with my Rey and Finn figurines, this is looking increasingly likely...

This is a somewhat complicated answer for this question for me, but on the whole, I would have to say: unfortunately, not really. I never really have been, I think, for a number of reasons (or potential reasons), a lot of which involve my upbringing as a shy and social anxious child in a world that didn’t care much for me, leading me to live a somewhat lonely and cynical childhood. Which in turn led me to simultaneously love and despise people, and to simultaneously want to be loved and to be left alone. I’m just kind of a mess emotionally, really. (And that’s before we even get into the “stuff” that I’ve been dealing with as of late…)

However, that doesn’t mean that I haven’t had any happy moments in my life, or that I don’t enjoy life in general. On the contrary, I do generally enjoy it, despite everything. That said, it would be a whole lot better without all of the less-than-great things that I’ve had to deal with over the years, many of which were completely unnecessary to have happened if not for the foolishness of some people. But then again, I guess that’s something that everyone who’s ever lived has felt to at least some degree, right? Such is life, I suppose. Still, I’m hoping for more consistently happy times ahead…

I am not as happy as I used to be, adulthood tends to do that to people :(

But I have also been through a worse phase a few years ago, so I am starting to feel a bit better about myself and my life compared to that period, for what it is worth.

On one hand yes, there is still a lot in life that makes me happy. But on the other hand I realize a lot of that is escapism at best and I'm perhaps not as happy as I could be.

That said I also know what it's like to be absolutely miserable since I've been terribly depressed in the past, and that's not how I feel now, at all. I've come to realize that as long as I have a roof above my head, hobbies to spend time on, and people who care about me, there is much to be happy about.

I've come to realize that as long as I have a roof above my head, hobbies to spend time on, and people who care about me, there is much to be happy about.
I can relate to all of that, but there are still a few times where I am searching for a "deeper meaning" to my life. I do not necessarily want success, a partner or children according to social norms or so, I just am not sure what my PASSION is and how that could also be somehow utilised to result in having a slightly better income to become more financially independent from parents and have the means to care for them too as they get older. That would be a step closer to "happiness".

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom