• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you name your kid after a Pokemon?

Some of the japanese names (such as Leafia and Glacia) could work as real names, but I think the only english names that could be plausible would be Aron or Roselia. Either way, I wouldn't name a kid after a Pokemon.

Some of the japanese names (such as Leafia and Glacia) could work as real names, but I think the only english names that could be plausible would be Aron or Roselia. Either way, I wouldn't name a kid after a Pokemon.

Leafia is not very common. Casey and Blacky are more common.

I posted here a long time ago and said "for a serious answer, no" but now that I think about it Chikorita sounds like a pretty cool name, and either Chiko or Rita could be used as a nickname so it sounds perfectly normal. lol or for Cyndaquil, you could use Cindy as a nickname.

I personally wouldn't mind my name being Chikorita seeing as to how my 'net handle has been Chika for over half a decade now. (And it's something I got from Chikorita.)

Although, as for naming another kid that, eh, there's a ton of trainer names you can use for naming someone that's a normal name instead of using the name of an actual 'mon.

I posted here a long time ago and said "for a serious answer, no" but now that I think about it Chikorita sounds like a pretty cool name, and either Chiko or Rita could be used as a nickname so it sounds perfectly normal. lol or for Cyndaquil, you could use Cindy as a nickname.

What about the Japanese names? Cyndaquil's Japanese name, Hinoarashi, contains arashi which means trolling, thus made solely a "trolling" name for Japanese internet community. This is same for Yukiwarashi (Snorunt).

And, some Japanese names (like Mijumaru and Hikozaru) can be weird-reading if translated to shinjitai or kyujitai. For example, "konnichiwa, watashiwa Mizugorou desu".

My name was actually legally Lugia for the first few minutes, because they mispelled my actual name when printing the birth certificate. Obviously that's not my name, but it'd be cool if it were.
In honesty, I probably would, but that's sort of child abuse, so in reality I won't. Human names like Ash or Erica would be acceptable, but stuff like Roselia is not.
lol, wouldn't it be funny if someone's last name were Dreavus or Magius? Like Ms. Dreavus or Ms. Magius? That'd be the coolest last name ever, if you're a girl.

My name was actually legally Lugia for the first few minutes, because they mispelled my actual name when printing the birth certificate. Obviously that's not my name, but it'd be cool if it were.

It would be awkward if someone's name was a Pokemon's:

Person 1 "Why hello there! What's your name?"
Person 2 "Lugia"
Person 1 "Oh hello Lu- wait a minute, that can't be your name because that's a Pokemon's name!"

It would also feel awkward referring/mailing to people named after Pokemon:

To: Lugia Silver (real last name)

------

For me I would not name my kid after a Pokemon, but I would do so for actual human names or names that sound real (e.g. Ritchie, Tracey, Delia, Giovanni).
Although I would name my kid with a name that very vaguely resembles the Pokemon's name... very vaguely.

I dont think any kid has the name Pikachu. Thats my choice.

In honesty, I probably would, but that's sort of child abuse, so in reality I won't. Human names like Ash or Erica would be acceptable, but stuff like Roselia is not.
lol, wouldn't it be funny if someone's last name were Dreavus or Magius? Like Ms. Dreavus or Ms. Magius? That'd be the coolest last name ever, if you're a girl.

There are girls with the name Rosalia, so Roselia could be pretty much acceptable..... maybe

Pft, of course. I totally want my two future sons to be named Darkrai Luke and Giratina Bryan or even...Arceus Kaleb! ;D
Just kidding, just kidding...No, I actually wouldn't. If it was a human character like....Sabrina, or Riley, then maybe. But after an actual Pokemon? Nah. I'd know my poor kid would probably get made fun of. People would be saying his/her parents are physco freaks with no lives. ;.;
So no. But I give props to whoever would, though. :3

Lol people, naming your kids after a Pokemon doesn't necessarily mean calling them Pikachu or Snorlax. It could simply be "Lily" afer Lilligant because you just love the Pokemon Lilligant like that. But then again when your daughter Lily asks you "Why is my name Lily" and you tell her the truth, she'll be like "WHAT?"

Well, I'm not having kids so the point's kinda moot, but I think Reggie Gig Gus would be a rockin' name.

I'm not planning on ever having kids, but if I did I would name them after a couple of my favorite Pokemon. Like Keldi for a son after Keldeo or Lucar for a son. Poli or Umbry for a daughter

According to one list of the top 7000 names used on babies (it was every name used on at least 5 babies), in 2011 eighteen girls were named Roselia. Although most of the parents probably didn't know it was a Pokemon (unless they were young enough). I was thinking they must have used it as a variant of the name Rosalia (which is a fairly common name in Italy and in Spanish-speaking countries - it's their form of Rosalie).

Actually, Roselia does sound kind of pretty as a name. And Aron is a legit name too - it's how you spell Aaron in some countries in Europe.

Few Pokemon names could be used to name people, as Roselia, Aron and Eevee , for example.

Other besides that only if you wanted to make your child suffer of bullying.

Like the above poster, I'd accept something that's a legitimate name for my child, like Aron and Roselia, but something like Pikachu or Bulbasaur? Definitely not. I'm not much of a fan of exotic names anyway, and I dislike the idea of possibly leading my child to be bullied. :c

Few Pokemon names could be used to name people, as Roselia, Aron and Eevee , for example.

Other besides that only if you wanted to make your child suffer of bullying.

How about Japanese names like Casey (Abra), Blacky (Umbreon) and Glacia (Glaceon)? Even Roselia's Japanese name and English name are same.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom