• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Wow, I was an IDIOT!" moments

There was a time I thought abilities were exclusive to genders. In DP I was trying to catch a male Shinx with intimidate (Because it's imo thematically appropriate and I like my party to be more gender balanced) but the only Shinx I could find with that ability were all female. I went through over a dozen of them so I caved and went with a female. I was pretty damn surprised to see a trainer with a male intimidate Luxio latter.

I was playing in a tournament and after most of the games I was placed 4th, needing to win my next game to place 3rd or something similar. I can't rememer the team I was running, but it had a Breloom with the old spore/focuspunch build. Unfortunatly, when I was supposed to spore I hit focus punch by accident and thus lost the match. To make matters worse, since it was such a close tornament I dropped down from 4th to about 10th.

Pabo Risa forgot that Pikachu can't be paralysed anymore in X. On more than one occasion. Ugh... wae? *facepalm* So stupid! (for the record I kept trying to use Stun Spore IIRC... aaah, stupid stupid stupid!)

Last edited:
when i was about seven i truly belived that the master ball could catch anything and so tried to catch lance's dragonite on pokemon red, i think i then turned the game off or it was a different game, but i then used my master ball on a poliwag... yeah i was pretty dumb back then

Not sneaking outside of the grass when a hidden Pokemon pops up in OR. I had no idea that if you did that, it would startle the blasted Pokemon. Crap. >.<

Wait, seriously? That happens? Well now I know for if/when I get either Gen 3 remake. (still undecided on whether I want Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire... OTL)

Anyway, another derpfail moment I had was not saving... I think after making it through the Goldenrod(?) underground tunnel thingy in SS. (It's been a while... I can't really remember orz) I thought I'd be fine... buuut then my DSi's battery died on me. -.- I've learned since then to save more often and keep my DSi/3DS charged.

a somewhat recent one of mine was in my FIRST play-through of Alpha Sapphire. I was at the part in the Delta Episode where you have to go to Meteor Falls, and I spent a WHOLE HOUR trying to figure out where Steven went, when I FINALLY noticed the cave above the Waterfall. after that, it only took me around 5 minutes to find him. I felt like a total moron.

Okay so I was 9 when I played through SoulSilver (I'm 14 btw). I used only my Typholsion, by the time I beat Red he was nearly lv. 90 (he's 90 now) and he had a terrible move set. Swift, Flamethrower, Rock Climb and Blast Burn.

Oh Arceus, save me.

This deserves a bump.

After hatching a good four figures of eggs in XY, I have only just realized that the Day Care Man turns to face the route if he has an egg, and that he doesn't if there isn't.

The best part? I knew I could tell if there was an egg just by paying attention when I moved towards the Day Care Man, but I couldn't figure out why...

Back when I first played Diamond, I had no idea how the daycare and breeding worked. I left a Kricketune and another Pokémon (don't remember what) there, then I was very surprised when the man outside kept giving me eggs. I was even more surprised when they hatched and they were all Kricketot! And this continued for a while, with me thinking 'he must give me something else eventually', since I hadn't made the connection with leaving Pokémon in the daycare and getting eggs.

When I first got pokerus..

I scared and though that my game is hacked. So I went to game store and asked them to repair my GB.

I remember when I knocked out Lugia in Silver and I saved after I did so. -_-

When I'd first gotten the original Silver back in 2000, it was only the second game I'd ever played after Yellow and so misunderstood the very different rival naming concept. I'd thought I was supposed to give the cop ??? so the poor bastard never got a name haha.

Then the first time I'd played Ruby I'd encountered a teal electrike but didn't realize it was shiny because it didn't have the sparkle animation I was used to from Gen II and thought the coloring was lighting or something. So not wanting an Electrike, I ran. XP

I forgot to give an item to my Blaziken for the Battle of Hoenn online competition. I realized when a Knock Off landed and did a ridiculous damage. I'm the luckiest idiot ever.

Not killing the Trick Room initiator first when facing a Trick Room team online. And it just had to be when I don't choose to bring Aggron on my team... everyone else got swept within two turns and poor Metagross was left all alone until I forfeited.

I got bored of using gyrados constantly so I decided to stop. At gen FOUR you know when it actually lived up to the hype instead of being a butter free for a slightly later point.

I wouldn't necessarily call this an idiot moment, but rather a forgetful moment since I know I'm not the only one who doesn't know every Pokemon's abilities.

-Not having my Swampert use Earthquake on Glacia's Frosslass because I thought they had Levitate.

Some of the ones I used to do in my earlier pokemon days
. train up my starter and legendary. and thats all. I fianlly realized my mistake near the end of Kanto while I was playing through Pokemon Crystal. My final battle against Red was annoying, but I beat him. I think my Typhlosion had the moves Fire Punch, ThunderPunch, Flamethrower, and something else.... but I managed to take out Red's whole team with it. I remember rock and ground types being a pain
. this one is horrible. I didn't understand that the cartridge could only save one file (because I didn't really play any pokemon as a kid, but I did play a couple games on the larger consoles (Gamecube) and those games could have more than one file). I can't tell you how many times I started a new Pokemon game, on my older brother's game, always ruined his progress. I am sorry big brother, but I was an idiot.

Idiot moments I have now
. misclicking. when playing through a fire red emulator I accidentally rushed through and forgot the only fire move I had on my growlithe. It was annoying trying to level her up after that because she didn't learn another fire move till level 49
. Masterball mishap. During my playthrough of Omega Ruby, I got the masterball and I usually use it in the signature legendary for the game, so I used it on groudon, bad mistake. Deoxys was a pain to try and catch and I ended up fainting it by accident. Stupid crit! Well I then learned that you could go through the elite 4 again and it would return to its spot at the Sky pillar. while ding so I was also watching a playthrough of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and the person was wondering where the masterball was, because they did not manage to catch Deoxys or something, i can't quite remember. They got it in a later video, and showed where it was. I had forgotten where I had gotten my masterball so I thought there was a second one in the game and I ran to that place only to realize there was only one, and i was a fool.
. trying to get tricks to work on my Mach bike for like 5 minutes, to realize I had to switch to the acro bike
. realizing that I can trade with the bike person between the mach and acro bike.
. entering Victory Road for the first time in HG/SS and forgot to bring repels. I got lost, and couldn't find my way out for 3 hours. I almost broke my DS that day.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom