• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

The question is: How would such a story work?
I was gonna keep going with the "Six Magikarp Guy" joke but I'll give a serious answer: It probably wouldn't be that different from a normal story. You could explore how and why that character had six of the same Pokémon so that's a thing you could do. And you could come up with cool combo moves.

Might have to give each Pokemon a hat to differentiate them though.

I was gonna keep going with the "Six Magikarp Guy" joke but I'll give a serious answer: It probably wouldn't be that different from a normal story. You could explore how and why that character had six of the same Pokémon so that's a thing you could do. And you could come up with cool combo moves.

Might have to give each Pokemon a hat to differentiate them though.
Yeah. I would have to give them each something to make them different from each other so that one can tell them apart. You would also have similar problems with Gym Leaders and Elite 4 members if you were doing a monotype run (or even a solo run), the issue being types that your team is weak to.

So I decided to start trying to write a Sonia centered fic. She always seemed like a bit of an oddball to me in terms of the regions professors, her being listed specifically studying "Galar's History" which didn't really scream "Pokemon Professor" :unsure: So I wanted to write something that hammered that out a little more to make sense of it (if only for my own self-satisfaction).

Plus after reading the manga, I feel like it shows a lot more of her character than what the games show and I really felt like she deserved more than just being Leon's "friend/romantic partner who didn't know what she wanted to do with her life" that I see in a lot of fics.

I actually sat down and figured out a lot of the Galar region's history and possible series of events for this too, so fingers crossed that it turns out well!

So I decided to start trying to write a Sonia centered fic. She always seemed like a bit of an oddball to me in terms of the regions professors, her being listed specifically studying "Galar's History" which didn't really scream "Pokemon Professor" :unsure: So I wanted to write something that hammered that out a little more to make sense of it (if only for my own self-satisfaction).

Plus after reading the manga, I feel like it shows a lot more of her character than what the games show and I really felt like she deserved more than just being Leon's "friend/romantic partner who didn't know what she wanted to do with her life" that I see in a lot of fics.

I actually sat down and figured out a lot of the Galar region's history and possible series of events for this too, so fingers crossed that it turns out well!
I really love Sonia. If you ever post it, let me know.

The title of "professor" is usually associated with science people (especially in Pokémon), but it refers to anyone in general who's high in the academic hierarchy, so it's not totally out of left field for Sonia's profession to be history.

Also we should share worldbuilding notes because I've been meaning to writing about Galar more especially with my sequel to BHWIB.

I really love Sonia. If you ever post it, let me know.

The title of "professor" is usually associated with science people (especially in Pokémon), but it refers to anyone in general who's high in the academic hierarchy, so it's not totally out of left field for Sonia's profession to be history.

Also we should share worldbuilding notes because I've been meaning to writing about Galar more especially with my sequel to BHWIB.
Will do! But gotta warn you though, I'm a slow writer, so don't expect it for a while lol

Ah, what I meant by oddball is that if you look at all the other Pokémon Professors they usually focus on things certain aspects of Pokémon or regional exclusive traits applied to Pokémon. Relationships, evolutions, mega evolutions, moves, dynamax, etc. Sonia however, is the only one from the core series that seems to focus on the region itself and not the Pokémon.

I can totally help you with that, researching Galar has been my life these past few days (y)

My mind's been too blank to write anything for the past few weeks. I think it's because of college; I constantly feel like I "should" be doing homework, even when I give myself a break.

Last edited:
My mind's been too blank to write anything for the past few weeks. I think it's because of college; I constantly feel like I "should" be doing homework, even when I give myself a break..

I've been there before, it was rough.

If' you're stuck in the "work" mindset then maybe try thinking of writing as a homework assignment? Like research a topic you want to write about, get all organized and gather all the facts you can and make theories on things you can't. Doesn't have to be a long writing project, could just be a oneshot. Might help you get through it.

I see you everywhere, BackSet. You're on Zelda Universe, TV Tropes, and you even commented on one of my videos once. Just an observation.

Back
Top Bottom