• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Gah, I wish someone would write a pokemon murder mystery or something. For some reason I suddenly want to read one.

bwuuff. I'm re-reading my oooold attempts at my fanfic to remember which general direction I took, as I want my rewrite to be somewhat similar (though with its own differences) up until Chapter 8ish...

I can certainly see why people didn't really read, review or give feedback on it. It's kinda hard to read; I do have linebreaks, but my paragraphs aren't properly spaced apart. The sentence structure is admittedly basic and the dialogue doesn't have much going for it. I feel like I did better with my Star Trek fic (based on the fact that I actually had a willing reader, rather than someone basically forced at knifepoint), but hopefully I can raise the bar even further.

(Hell, if I really wanted to punish myself, I could reread the crap I wrote in high school, jeeezus, that was bad.)

Anyone else look back at their old works, or even earlier chapters for long, established stories, and just been thoroughly embarrassed at how bad it looks?
We just moved house around a week ago, and during that time I found all these old notebooks of mine from back when I was around ten or perhaps younger. I ended up having quite a good laugh at my terrible writing (compared to now, at least) but at the same time I felt extremely disappointed with myself. I'd been praised by my teachers and other people (some of them even on the internet 'cos I actually had the nerve to post my first Pokemon fanfic back then xD) for that crap - it's very embarrassing to think about, really. I'm almost 14 now, and am hopefully a better and continuously-improving writer, but these old works still do mean quite a ton to me. I guess they show how much I've grown in the past few years, and I could probably learn something from those mistakes to produce better stories in the future; if anything else, they do serve as a nice getaway from stress and school work. XD

Oddly enough while I have seen a lot of RPs about murder mysteries I've never seen an actual fic about them @NoirGrimoir; though that is something interesting.
@Caitlin; I know how you feel, I swear to god I can't open the files containing my old Pokemon New Generations fic cause...well I just blush and close it while I bang my head against the desk, and now that I think about it I kinda do the same thing with earlier chapters of Dragon's Roar.

However, this has also a positive feel to it, because by reading your old work and being embarrassed about it you also realize how far you've come from when you first wrote that, so in a way you feel both embarrassment and pride.

I ended up having quite a good laugh at my terrible writing (compared to now, at least) but at the same time I felt extremely disappointed with myself. I'd been praised by my teachers and other people (some of them even on the internet 'cos I actually had the nerve to post my first Pokemon fanfic back then xD) for that crap - it's very embarrassing to think about, really.
That's also partly the reason I stopped caring about feedback. Any that I get is sunshine and rainbows no matter how terrible my writing (or hell, my acting performance during school plays) was. Nobody was willing to speak their mind, they just wanted to encourage me to never get better.

If I were to get any feedback, I'd want biting criticism and nasty reviews. It shows where I need to improve, and it shows that I mattered enough for someone to take the time out of their day to spew hatred and negativity at me. I did something to piss them off, which means I did something right.

Ha, I love looking through my old writing and laughing at it... I have a whole shelf full of stories from elementary school (they're all about dinosaurs, Neopets, Yoshi, unicorns, anthropomorphic dogs, or made-up creatures that totally weren't ripping off Neopets). I also have dozens of fics from a few years back on my computer, and I've recently begun posting them on my Tumblr. It's interesting to see how much my style has changed over time, especially during the past few years. I've never bothered to plan any of my stories before starting my current piece, and I've also never worked with any strong themes or symbolism. The plots of my older pieces generally involved childish, linear good versus evil conflicts in fantasy settings, which is quite different from the fanfic I'm working on (an emphasis on personal struggles alongside antagonists who aren't complete monsters, a cast of dynamic characters whose morals are varying shades of gray and frequent explorations of their values, enough plot twists to keep readers guessing, darker themes including protagonist deaths...).

That's also partly the reason I stopped caring about feedback. Any that I get is sunshine and rainbows no matter how terrible my writing (or hell, my acting performance during school plays) was. Nobody was willing to speak their mind, they just wanted to encourage me to never get better.

If I were to get any feedback, I'd want biting criticism and nasty reviews. It shows where I need to improve, and it shows that I mattered enough for someone to take the time out of their day to spew hatred and negativity at me. I did something to piss them off, which means I did something right.

I don't think people would bother posting a positive review on a website unless they genuinely thought your work was good - based on how rarely people ever seem to bother reviewing, you would think that they wouldn't waste their time giving false feedback. Clearly, they must have actually enjoyed your work :D

While we having an anti-flaming policy, people should still be able to give constructive criticism and point out flaws as long as they do so properly. It has to be a forum wide thing though as if one person wants to get very critical, nasty feedback, that does not mean that someone else would take it the same way if they got similar feedback.

Gah, I wish someone would write a pokemon murder mystery or something. For some reason I suddenly want to read one.

I swear I remember someone writing something of the sort a year or so ago. It might've been Aladar...

@NoirGrimoir: What do you mean specifically by murder mystery? A sort of Agatha Christie type thing? I have some Pokemon stories that involve a bit of unsolved murder, but I am not sure if they would be specific enough for you.

I'd be fine with writing one of those, but I got other fics to work on...lol.

Also, I saw Iron Man 3 today for my birthday and I LOVED IT. I saw some people on another site say it was disappointing, but screw them. This movie was as good as the first one and better than the second! The final battle was much better than the one against Whiplash in movie 2, and Colonel Rodes was awesome, as was Pepper. Pepper was badass in the end, actually. And of course, Tony Stark is as hilarious and sarcastic as ever. "And I stole a poncho from a wooden Indian." XD

My brother said though, that since Tony destroyed all his suits and found a way to live without his blue glowy heart thingy, he's not Iron Man anymore, but I don't believe that. Rodes doesn't have a blue glowy heart thingy and he's War Machine/Iron Patriot. Plus, this is Tony Stark we're talking about. That guy can build anything he wants, he can build another suit. Not to mention at the very end, he said "I am Iron Man" not "I was Iron Man."

I also loved how one of his suits was black and gold. Homage to Pittsburgh/Steelers, anyone? ^^

Now I'm waiting for Avengers 2 to be made!

Ooh, I saw Iron Man 3 yesterday. Despite what critics said, I thought it was awesome... probably my third favorite Marvel movie after The Avengers and the first Iron Man. Tony Stark is a wonderful character; it's hard to dislike anything with him in it. It also got me wanting to work on my fic, where I've made Genesect's method of flight resemble Iron Man's. Too bad I've still got a number of chapters to go before I can do anything with that...

Oh, and happy birthday. c: Today also happens to be my mom's birthday, which is why we went out to see the movie last night.

What did critics say? That it was bad? Screw them, they need to rewatch it. This Iron Man film was deep and full of awesome action scenes. We saw Tony learn to cope with his anxiety and become a changed man. And he went and did a bunch of awesome shit without any of his suits! Then all the funny scenes. lol

The whole thing was just brilliant!

Oh, and thanks! ^^

It hasn't gotten a lot of *bad* reviews, per se; just a bunch of average ones. I think it deserves better than that. It also got some scorn from longtime fans of the comic, who were upset with how the Mandarin was handled. Ah well, everyone I know (including myself) loved it, and that's what really counts.

I can't wait till my birthday... it's gonna be my sweet sixteen, and I'm going to meet up with one of my best online friends for about a week. It's only a little more than two months away, but it feels like forever.

Ah, I see. And I agree completely! I've seen a few people say it was disappointing, but others said it was really awesome. I think it was one of the best films I've seen to date.

And I turned 22 today. :)

I also just came back from seeing Iron Man and it was awesome. Also io9.com said it would be good, so I was pretty sure it would be. Io9 knows where it's at.

And by murder mystery, I was thinking something more like a cop drama, rather than a cozy mystery.

Man, someone is turning 16 and someone else is turning 22. Am I the oldest person here?

Pretty sure I'm the youngest. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. ;D

Back
Top Bottom