• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

But, just out of curiosity, is music and song necessary for fiction writing? Or, do you need it to incorporate into the fic?

In this case, it really is necessary for the scene. I've included scraps of poetry before, mostly as a little bit of self-indulgence. This is for a festival scene, however, so I at least need a couple of lines to get the point across.

Think of it as poetry.

Oh dear. I'm terrible at that as well xD

I've been listening to a lot of post-rock while writing, personally. This Will Destroy You, Sigur Ros, that sort of thing. I feel like it really fits the vibe of the stuff I've been working on.

WW mod is a great gig, and one I've often missed. I still remember my time in the position fondly; it was great to help the WW grow into the bustling community it is today. Hell, I might reapply, even if my writing focus is on my original fiction.

Last edited:
Music in fiction is a hell of a tricky thing to pull off, considering you obviously lack audio cues. I find it best to just skim over it unless you're someone like Tolkien, who had a rare gift for (and an annoying habit of) creating immensely long epic songs to support his narrative. I'd maybe keep it to the couple of lines you mentioned, unless the whole body of the song is really required. Verse can be a good way of adding flavour to a story, but it can also fall flat (heh) on its face. :S

I honestly love most of Tolkien's songs lol.

Tra la la lally, down in the valley; the Misty Mountains; the Goblin Town song; even Tom Bombadil's dumb song.

I don't recall the Earendil song though.

Oh, it goes: "Hey doll, derrydol, Tom Bombadillo" and so on. I find Tom Bombadil to be a rather dumb section of the book, but not necessarily a bad one lol.

Tom Bombadil was a really fun part of the books for me, and I was a little sad they cut him entirely from the movies until I realised he added literally nothing to an already cumbersome narrative. *shrug*

I think it would be fairer to say that he didn't add enough to the narrative. By himself, Bombadil is just weird for the sake of weird. Taken with the generally more complex ring-lore of the book, on the other hand ... he's a demonstration that Sauron's power, and the power of the Ring, isn't absolute. I love the irony that despite Bombadil's obvious power, he's of no strategic use to the Free Peoples whatsoever

So does anyone have any amusingly unrealistic expectations for the Pokemon Direct announcement on Friday? I'm gonna go big and say SINNOH REMAKES, though that's 98% wishful thinking, I'm afraid. Highly unlikely. Unfortunately, it's on at 4:00 am here in NZ, so I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to stay up for it. It is a Saturday morning, but . . .

It must be Z. They can't do two remakes in a row. A new Pokemon reveal in CoroCoro is always inevitably followed up with a new game announcement a few weeks later, and the anniversary is the perfect time for that.

I'd feel a little underwhelmed by Z to be honest, especially since they haven't done a third version since Platinum in 2008 - which is a tough act to follow. The sequel option they tried out in Gen V with BW2 was generally well received, so I'd almost expect them to go down that path again.

I know it won't be Sinnoh remakes, but I really really really want it to be Sinnoh remakes, because DPPt remain my favourite games in the series to this day.

But I feel like if they did Z, with new Pokemon, they would do a lot more than just go through Kalos again. Unova did a good job with adding completely new towns and islands: Kalos I feel will be an entirely new region as well.

It will be too early to have DPPt remake. It had not yet reaches 10 year history mark.

Additionally, I don't expect any Pokemon title on the NX console yet. Not only because NX is still rather new, but because it is a more of a home console not for on the go. Pokemon series was always undervaluing console titles, all the ones on home console are just spin-offs. If upcoming game is a main title, it must be on 3DS.

Z, X2Y2, XYZ, whatever it may call, I don't even mind about the calling. But I anticipate it must be Kalos related.

Why am I thinking Dragonball Z and Super Mario Bros Z whenever Pokémon Z is brought up? XD

Jokes aside, I expect Pokémon Z to be announced as the final huzzah for Gen VI, maybe as a third version or a sequel to X&Y.

What's 4 am in easter time @Misheard Whisper; ?

And if they do do Pokemon Z then I honestly have no idea what they might do, my thought is that they might go back to doing a third version like in Platinum but as mysterious as Zygarde is he's not as iconic as Giratina was and I doubt any new mechanics they add to it will actually be enough to make it a relevant.

My problem with them doing Z as a sequel is that least I hope they put just a bit more thought into it than B2W2 I mean that game was pretty good yes but it wasn't as good as the original BW in my opinion and while people don't really criticize it's not nearly as relevant in regards to what happens in it like BW is.

That being said I wouldn't mind getting a third version that's more like emerald there are some similarities between RS and XY in that they're both defined by the colors red and blue, both gens had a remake of another game that was defined by red and blue (or red and green) and they both introduced new mechanics to the overall game as opposed to Gen IV and V which focused more on the plot of the game (granted III had plot as well but it also introduced new mechanics)

Back
Top Bottom