• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

We need more male doctors and male attendants in the pokemon medical sector.

BTW, my doubt for the Nurse Joy family: Where are their husbands?

Could just do what I do, make all nurses independent people with no family connection outside of a couple who might happen to be brothers or sisters. It is kind of unreasonable to assume that there's a few similar-aged sisters out there pumping out daughters at a rate of a three per year to staff all of these hospitals and pokecenters.

Though considering a Joy is a central character of The Long Walk, that wouldn't work here

I’d take it to mean that family connections are important in TLW, so taking that out wouldn’t make much sense without serious tweaking.

Honestly surprised by how much family connections are used in fics on here these days. It’s a good thing, imo, can add character depth and it’s unrealistic for a 10 year old trainer to never think of their parents ever, I just don’t remember it being a theme until recent years.

The average cliché journeyfic beginning, if you like, certainly does involve the protagonist rushing out of door after a really delicious breakfast and a soppy goodbye, never to be referenced again. But then, that same protagonist cliché apparently has no life or personality other than really, really liking pokémon before starting their journey

Are trainer fics really done that way all the time in the fandom? I must not seem to know enough about it, then. Or haven't dug deeply enough, because most of what I've read doesn't fit that mold at all. *shrug*

Are trainer fics really done that way all the time in the fandom? I must not seem to know enough about it, then. Or haven't dug deeply enough, because most of what I've read doesn't fit that mold at all. *shrug*

The fandom's gotten more creative over the years. Not to say these clichés can't work, because they certainly can, but fic openings vary so often that you're more likely to find a unique one than not. At least, from what I've read. xD

unknown.png

this does remind me of the time i described my red to someone in a chatroom and they sent me something like this

unknown.png

(this was some months ago when the meme was still fresh)

can't say it isn't accurate tbh

just say "sure!" and show it to them and breathe heavily while they lay their eyes upon your extremely detailed professor oak x muk yaoi. don't forget to loudly ask "DID YOU LIKE IT" when they finish

TFW You're writing in public and some stranger is like, "Oh hey, can I read it?"

bitch tf
My mom once asked me what I was writing when I was doing some notes for Storm Island a couple years ago. I told her I was writing something erotic, as it was honestly less embarrassing than saying "yeah I'm 26 and I'm writing pokemon fanfiction"

Thankfully she didn't ask to see it. Not only would that have been weird, but my true shame would have been exposed.

lol holy crap, I'd be so embarrassed. The only time I had someone do that IRL, I was a kid and another kid just snatched it out of my hands. I've never screamed and whined so much in my life.

If anyone asked now, I'd say it's a rough draft and I wouldn't show even family/friends yet. Seems sensible enough.

I'm British - the "mind your own business" principle shields me from this.

I do sometimes wonder what goes through people's heads when I'm seen sitting reading in my usual coffee shop. You'd think no-one would care, but it's amazing how casually snide people get about things like this. As if reading is a hipster fad

Back
Top Bottom