• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I prefer Schola Gladiatoria (Matt Easton), because it's informative, Easton is very well informed, and most importantly doesn't succumb the usual Youtube thing of having a character. Skallagrim has often got something interesting to say, and I have to admit, he did surprise me. Lindybeige is amusing and his videos have got better, but a lot of what he says is based on speculation

Sorry to detract from the topic of conversation, but I have not heard from our banner maker for a while so I need to move on and find a replacement.Since we have a lot of wonderful new people about, I was wondering if any of them, or indeed any of the old familiars would be up for producing some awards banners please?

I'm a Photoshop pro. What sort of time investment are we looking at?

I never actually started nicknaming Pokemon until gen 6. :p And then I suddenly felt like nicknaming a bunch of Pokemon, namely the Eeveelutions and a shiny Lickitung I found in X. lol I named the Eeveelutions mostly after fictional fairy characters because I liked the Fairy type so much. So starting with Sylveon, I nicknamed all of them.

Sylveon - Fauna (from Disney's Sleeping Beauty)
Flareon - Flora (see above)
Vaporeon - Maryweather (see above)
Jolteon - Tinkerbell (from Disney's Peter Pan as well as her own movies)
Umbreon - Cornelius (from Thumbelina)
Espeon - Merlin (from Disney's the Sword in the Stone, though he's a wizard, not a fairy)
Glaceon - Elsa (from Disney's Frozen, though she isn't a fairy either, she's an ice queen)
Leafeon - I don't remember what I named this one. xP

I named that shiny Lickitung, which is now a Lickilicky, Banana because of the color. lol

Oh, and Regice needs a nickname in ORAS if you want to get Regigigas, so I gave it one too. Its name is Olaf, after the snowman from Disney's Frozen. Yes, I love Disney and I loved that movie. lol I was pleasantly unsurprised to see a lot of little girls dressed as Anna and Elsa over Halloween in 2014. ^^

I use Disney characters for some of my mons too--Ariel the Vaporeon (since Vaporeon looks somewhat like a mermaid), Flit the Taillow (Taillow reminded me of a hummingbird when I first saw it), and Meeko the Zigzagoon are my most memorable

Ooh, all my Pokemon on my SoulSilver cartridge are nicknamed with intentionally repeating syllables.

Gallade - Cassini
Milotic - Noccalula
Tyranitar - Clarisse
Latios - Apollo
Smeargle - Matisse
Lugia - Cassiopeia

In my games since... I think black 2, I always put Bro or Bra at the end of their names, Like for a Aipom, Ai-Bro or Ai-Bra. It seemed easier, though I intentionally used the beginning of the name for the pokemon for the stage of evolution they were in. Like for my Bagon, its a salamence now but still called Bag-Bra

I use Disney characters for some of my mons too--Ariel the Vaporeon (since Vaporeon looks somewhat like a mermaid), Flit the Taillow (Taillow reminded me of a hummingbird when I first saw it), and Meeko the Zigzagoon are my most memorable

Oh cool, lol, though I was never a fan of The Little Mermaid or Pocahontas (my mom said I liked the latter when I was a kid, but I don't remember that. xP). Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Tangled, and Frozen are my favorite Disney princess movies. Although I have yet to see The Princess and the Frog. :p

In my games since... I think black 2, I always put Bro or Bra at the end of their names, Like for a Aipom, Ai-Bro or Ai-Bra. It seemed easier, though I intentionally used the beginning of the name for the pokemon for the stage of evolution they were in. Like for my Bagon, its a salamence now but still called Bag-Bra

That seems like it'd be censored in XY/ORAS, considering what you can't get away with anymore. :(

Ugh... I've been without internet for the last couple of weeks because the cable in my area broke somehow and they had to replace it. I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

I have no New Year Resolution because I feel like being an asshole for another year.

FF.net is still as strange a place as ever.

You guys may discuss the use of cavalry weapons such as the bow and sword, but I'll stick with what I know, such as the 12,8 cm Pak 44 L/55 AT Cannon.

The nicknames of my team vary greatly. One may just be a name I pulled out of my butt like Conway, and then another will be an obscure reference that only I understand such as Jagdzilla or Bert the Avenger.

That seems like it'd be censored in XY/ORAS, considering what you can't get away with anymore. :(

The only way to get away with it is by adding an extra letter it seems. I tried this on Oddish before and named some "Fuuck King" and the game would allow it. I used it for my Bronzong also. Disappointed with how strict the censoring became after Gen IV.

The only way to get away with it is by adding an extra letter it seems. I tried this on Oddish before and named some "Fuuck King" and the game would allow it. I used it for my Bronzong also. Disappointed with how strict the censoring became after Gen IV.

Oh wow, I guess it wasn't black 2... I never traded pokemon in that if it counted but i know it was before xy... i think :0

Yeah. I can't even name a Pokémon Viola! Thanks, international censors... ;_;

I have been reading my own fic for the last 7 hours, fixing typos and spelling mistakes before I turn it into book form for me to keep. I'm about 60% through, I'm running on little sleep and I'm just yelling at myself every few sentences... Shut the *** up, you did NOT write that!

0/10 would not recommend this to anyone

I prefer Schola Gladiatoria (Matt Easton), because it's informative, Easton is very well informed, and most importantly doesn't succumb the usual Youtube thing of having a character. Skallagrim has often got something interesting to say, and I have to admit, he did surprise me. Lindybeige is amusing and his videos have got better, but a lot of what he says is based on speculation

I generally differ who I watch based on what I'm looking for, but generally Skallagrim's my favourite, since he's typically quite informative and also interesting and humorous. I agree Easton is definitely the go-to person if you actually just want to learn stuff, though, and I got a lot of my starting longsword techniques from his lesson videos as well. I generally only go to Lindybeige if I just want something to laugh at, but you can get some decent information from him at times. Usually though, if one of the others gets something wrong, Easton will just correct them anyway. Someone should count the number of his videos with 'A response to Lindybeige' in the title. Also there was that recent sword balance video, which was rather unsubtly responding to Skallagrim's comment on that cheap sabre he bought.

Anyone ever write a story involving like androids, or synthetic humans? It's quite tough to reach a balance in terms of voice---I don't want "HELLO I AM A ROBOT" voice, but I want something more logical and not entirely human, so I have to think carefully when describing how the character feels to make their emotions seem less authentic, and more calculated.

You know, I sort of wish Pokemon would move a bit into that sci-fi realm---it seems like it was actually Gen I that dealt the most with modern topics, but they've sort of regressed back into more mystical and religious elements since, besides Genesect. I'd like to see a return to more ideas like man-made Pokemon, clones, etc.

Anyone ever write a story involving like androids, or synthetic humans? It's quite tough to reach a balance in terms of voice---I don't want "HELLO I AM A ROBOT" voice, but I want something more logical and not entirely human, so I have to think carefully when describing how the character feels to make their emotions seem less authentic, and more calculated.

You know, I sort of wish Pokemon would move a bit into that sci-fi realm---it seems like it was actually Gen I that dealt the most with modern topics, but they've sort of regressed back into more mystical and religious elements since, besides Genesect. I'd like to see a return to more ideas like man-made Pokemon, clones, etc.

Personally I prefer the mysticism, but that's just me. Anyway, I would actually stay away from the Spock speak (In other words, using long words when short ones will do, misunderstanding or deliberately refusing to understand sarcasm/metaphors, and especially looking down on all the illogical humans) when comes to androids. It's the biggest "emotionless" cliché in the book, it's hard to keep up and if you're not careful it could descend into meaningless waffle. Instead I'd probably make their voice technically precise. No-one in real life speaks entirely with grammatically perfect, carefully pronounced English and everyone uses some kind of slang or colloquialism. Therefore someone who does is going to come across as odd and subtly inhuman

In fact, in a double-edit while I think about it - if you're dealing with androids, who built them, and what for? Both those questions inform what kind of constructs they are and therefore what kind of voice and personality they'd end up with

Last edited:
Yeah, at first I was subconsciously having them stray away from conjunctions, but then realized that was a bit too far. I think I've reached a decent balance where they have a bit abnormal voice, but more then voice it was mainly thinking about how to describe their actions to not just seem like humans with a high level of grammar. I did sort of play around with metaphors and sarcasm, but more like they understand the idea of sarcasm and humor, they just don't approve of it, so they get the jokes, they're just annoyed by them.

In fact, in a double-edit while I think about it - if you're dealing with androids, who built them, and what for? Both those questions inform what kind of constructs they are and therefore what kind of voice and personality they'd end up with

Well, part of the story is a vagueness to it, and there's a bit of mysticism involved...with them slowly coming into more human personalities over time, so another difficulty is pulling that progression off well to feel natural.

Uhh, Dr. Gero built them for revenge against Goku. Duh.

That's actually what sort of inspired me to tackle the idea of Androids (although technically only #16 (the big guy) and #19 (the doll guy) are Androids, #17 and #18 , the two main ones, are cyborgs since they're modified humans), although DBZ barely explores the idea of them being modified humanoids.

I wanted a story where Androids were the protagonists, and they sort of deal with discovering who they are, who built them, as well as coming to terms with their burgeoning humanity while their programming tries to keep them "in-line".

Back
Top Bottom