• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I interrupt this broadcast for a special news bulletin:

The rules for the Review Game have been updated! Please read them before posting.

A brief summary of the changes:

The five turn rule has been reduced to three in an effort to increase activity.

Previously, if two weeks had gone by since the last person had posted, the five turn rule could be ignored. Due to the reduction of turns to three, this exception has been removed. It may be added back in later if necessary.

There is now a limit on the amount that you can make a reviewer read. You can request a review of as much or as little of your story as you want, but if the word count exceeds 10,000, the reviewer will not be required to read past that. Feel free to give options.

There is now an explicitly stated rule that you may not solicit your post in the Review Game outside of your signature or blog, as this counts as advertising. This isn't targeted at anyone in particular, it's just come up several times. If you're concerned about how long you've been waiting, let me know. It's actually my job to keep the game running (even if I'm really bad at it sometimes).

You can be banned from the thread for not following these rules :O Go read them!

The currently active story is now in the first post. We'll try to keep it as up to date as possible. This is primarily to reduce confusion when someone violates the rules and we have to remove their Review Game post.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled general chatting.

Dp, did I hear that you write poetry!? POST IT! POST IT! (It's been far too long since I've updated my thread, gaahhhh)
On another note, I just started my first fic! I'll probably post once I get a few chapters in.

Since I've been writing more lately beyond my usual BMGF RPs, I figured it warranted me finally posting in here. So..... hi!

Dp, did I hear that you write poetry!? POST IT! POST IT! (It's been far too long since I've updated my thread, gaahhhh)
On another note, I just started my first fic! I'll probably post once I get a few chapters in.

Erm, maybe? I don't know? WHERE'D YOU HEAR SUCH LIES? Will work on it.

Also excited to see your fic.

Since I've been writing more lately beyond my usual BMGF RPs, I figured it warranted me finally posting in here. So..... hi!

Welcome! Are you writing pokemon fics, perhaps? Just a wild guess...

Actually lately I've been working on a different project. I'm working on writing my abstract to submit for the Anime Expo Anime and Manga Symposium. Last summer I got to present at the convention in Los Angeles and met some amazing people. As for my last paper, it was An Insight into the Pokemon Cosmology, which analyzed the canonical evidence to suggest the existence of a Pokemon-based faith within the Pokemon universe and then analyzed how this cosmology compared to real life faiths. This year, the idea I'm going with is an analysis of how Pokemon is a vivid representation of the conflicts between the natural world and the artificial world.

Actually lately I've been working on a different project. I'm working on writing my abstract to submit for the Anime Expo Anime and Manga Symposium. Last summer I got to present at the convention in Los Angeles and met some amazing people. As for my last paper, it was An Insight into the Pokemon Cosmology, which analyzed the canonical evidence to suggest the existence of a Pokemon-based faith within the Pokemon universe and then analyzed how this cosmology compared to real life faiths. This year, the idea I'm going with is an analysis of how Pokemon is a vivid representation of the conflicts between the natural world and the artificial world.

Slow clap

Pokemon research? Abstracts? Presentations? Amazing!

I would read that paper on pokemon cosmology. I've been developing various pokemon-based religions for my fic (which have ended up deviating from canon in some regards for the sake of being more fun), and I'd always love more insight into that.

I want to write up worldbuilding side things for my Lucky Egg-verse, but I can't decide if I should make blogs for them or if I should make a Google Doc or something and link to it in the story thread. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I would read that paper on pokemon cosmology. I've been developing various pokemon-based religions for my fic (which have ended up deviating from canon in some regards for the sake of being more fun), and I'd always love more insight into that.

I want to write up worldbuilding side things for my Lucky Egg-verse, but I can't decide if I should make blogs for them or if I should make a Google Doc or something and link to it in the story thread. Do you guys have any recommendations?

It's always been my personal opinion that any "world building" information the reader needs to know should be able to be integrated seamlessly into the story itself. The reader ought never to be required to read something beyond the story to have the intended experience. If it's mainly for your own benefit though, that could be helpful to keep the setting of your story straight in your head.

If they really are just a side thing, I'd put them in a blog. In fact that's precisely what I do for The Long Walk - well, for anything longer than maybe a paragraph of comment at the bottom of a chapter

It's always been my personal opinion that any "world building" information the reader needs to know should be able to be integrated seamlessly into the story itself. The reader ought never to be required to read something beyond the story to have the intended experience. If it's mainly for your own benefit though, that could be helpful to keep the setting of your story straight in your head.

I agree with you there, but this world building stuff I might put in a blog isn't necessary for understanding the story at all. It's just fun background information that could color the reader's view of various settings and events from my story if they bother to read the extra little articles, but they can get along fine without it. (Specifically, the one I'm writing now is about the location and average physical characteristics of various ethnic groups in the Lucky Egg-verse version of the pokemon world, especially Hoenn. It would just help people visualize how background characters in certain areas might look and give insight into some of the characters' heritages.)

Beth, I was thinking of stealing your idea of having a quick paragraph of extra world-building tidbits at the end of every chapter. Do you mind if I copy you? :p

I'd love to show the paper. I've made a bit more progress on the research and theory end of my analysis since I wrote this, but I still love any opportunity to receive feedback.

For Anime Expo, it's a fairly refined process. The entire purpose of the AX Anime and Manga Symposium is to shatter the assumption that manga and anime are just mindless entertainment for the masses. The Symposium starts accepting abstracts for pieces showing academic themes/elements mid-February and stops accepting them in May. If yours is accepted and chosen to present, you'll be invited to present at the conference in LA. You get a free industry pass (though since the Symposium is still a relatively small program, getting there was on me and my family), and one day during the convention you'll be able to present your work in a 15 minute presentation, with around 5 minutes afterwards left for Q & A. There were some amazing panels for the Symposium, my personal favorite being one that analyzed how The Legend of Zelda could be seen as a modern day epic.

There were some amazing panels for the Symposium, my personal favorite being one that analyzed how The Legend of Zelda could be seen as a modern day epic.

But isn't Zelda a video game?

Technically Pokemon is too, but the amine/manga that comes with it is far more prevalent than any complimentary media for the Legend of Zelda series.

Maybe it should be Anime, Manga and Video Games then?

There were some amazing panels for the Symposium, my personal favorite being one that analyzed how The Legend of Zelda could be seen as a modern day epic.

But isn't Zelda a video game?

Technically Pokemon is too, but the amine/manga that comes with it is far more prevalent than any complimentary media for the Legend of Zelda series.

Maybe it should be Anime, Manga and Video Games then?

I will agree that the complimentary media for Zelda is far less prevalent. However, the Zelda presentation was more based off of the appropriate sources, though I will admit I initially had the same concerns in terms of proper sources. Granted, the media for the Zelda franchise is far less numerous and relevant, but it does still exist as a canon source. I should have mentioned this before in all retrospect.

I actually initially had to revamp my original abstract to focus more on the anime and manga than the games. And read over 300 chapters of Pokemon Adventures in 2 days

Last edited:
Today was my first day at college. It was... Okay, I guess.

I'm also surrounded by people that are all older than me, whoooo~

Back
Top Bottom