• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Lately, the creative part of my brain has been dominated by a graphic novel about the end-Permian mass extinction, but with talking animals. I'm willing to go into more detail if anyone's interested, but the biggest hurdle isn't the writing; it's that I need to get better at drawing. Are there any guides out there about how to make it easier for yourself, good ways to lay out panels, etc?
This thread in the Art Gallery might be a good start. That subforum is also a good place to ask questions about the art part of graphic novels!

I've written a script for a short video debunking the forum rumour that Game Freak regrets Mega Evolution. Anyone want to have a look at it? Are we allowed to link to Google Docs?

Yeah, I’d say it’s the latter appearance that matters. Appearing usually applies on main/side characters, while being mentioned beforehand applies to also side characters - or actually important characters that play a bigger role on the later half of the story.

@Greninjaman

Consider:

--Both SV and Chrono Trigger involve time travel in their stories
--Both Chrono Trigger and Horizons begin with a magical pendant
--Both Chrono Trigger and SV involve a clash for the fate of all times (Lavos vs. the professor-droid)
--Both games also involve paradoxes (the paradox Pokemon vs. the whole sidequest to revive Crono)
--If you played Scarlet, Prof. Sada has more than a passing resemblance to Ayla

Last edited:
@LightningTopaz
This is a similar question to the one I had about Saving/Rescuing:
What is the difference between: Kidnapping, Capturing, and Abducting?
I know they mean essentially the same thing (taking someone against their will), but is there a difference?

Hey, I just finished a writing exercise over at Thousand Roads, and now I’m thinking, why not share my entries here? Just because, haha.

These aren’t Pokémon-themed pieces, mind. They’re stories featuring the original characters that I created here!

@Blanc
Perhaps this might be useful for RP-related stuff?

@lisianthus
Magical girls and the power of friendship; need I say more?

“All of it!? The entire album!?”

“We told you, Tsuchiya-san; we’re looking to avoid the sophomore slump. I know you kids like to experiment and all, but we’re looking for something a bit more… safe, you know?”

She could barely look her bosses in the eyes, as they all bore straight into hers.

“But I-I… e-everything I did, I-I…”

“Is there a problem, Tsuchiya-san?”

“I-I—”

Hell yeah, there’s a problem!

“N-Natsu-chan!?”

A certain tiny redhead just made her way into the room, shocking everyone.

“Hi, Kana-chan!” Natsu-chan greeted, as if they had just met in the middle of a classroom, not a boardroom. “I’m here to support you!”

“T-That’s, um, great, Natsu-chan, but—”

Kana-chan was ignored, just as Natsu-chan turned to the bosses.

“How dare you reject anything from Kana-chan!? Everything that she does is awesome! What do you old geezers know about good music anyway?”

“N-Natsu-chan…” Kana-chan couldn’t help but blush. The bosses, meanwhile, were speechless.

“She worked so hard on that album, you know! If you don’t let her release it, then I’ll… I’ll—”

“Tsuchiya-san?”

“Huh?”

She blinked, before swerving to her side. Natsu-chan was no longer there.

Tsuchiya-san.”

“U-Um, yes! I’ll do that. T-Thank you…”

She then took a hasty bow, before heading towards the exit without another word.

Prompt: “Wish you were here

Nadine!!!

She never thought she’d ever not want to hear Haruka’s voice.

Nadine, where are you!? Are you hurt!?

A slow, pained moan answered Haruka, one that she couldn’t hear. Not down here in this dark, miserable place, where Nadine ended up after fighting that… whatever it was…

Nadine, please answer me! Are you alright!?

No.

The gaping, bleeding wound on the left side of her torso accentuated the point.

Stupid thing. Some magical girl I am…

N-Nadine…?

Haruka’s voice was quiet now, but no less clear to Nadine. It almost made her sound louder…

N-Nadine… p-please don’t be…

Nadine was unsure if it was Haruka’s cries or her own that she could hear clearer now. She couldn’t take much more of this…

What the hell is wrong with me!?

Raising a hand to wipe away her tears, she then came across a certain dark, long line on the side of her arm, long since scarred. And then she remembered…

There; good as new! Doesn’t that feel so much better?

It was her own cries that she heard clearer now, no doubt.

It does. I’m so sorry, Haruka…

Nadine then closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

Haruka!!!

Prompt: “Making mistakes

Step 8. To solidify the strength of your relationships, call your friends by their first name.

The book slammed shut between Kumatani-san’s fingers, revealing its title: How to Succeed at Friendships.

“Finally, the good part!” she said with a grin. “Aren’t you excited, Haruka-san?”

The sullen look on Haruka-san’s face very quickly answered that question for her.

“Still nervous, huh? C’mon, we’ve gotten halfway through the book already! You’ve got this!”

“I got lucky…” Haruka-san said to the floor, rather than Kumatani-san next to her. “And you were always there, so…”

“Nah, that was all you!” Kumatani-san smiled back at her. “And remember Advice Column #30,” — she quickly shuffled to said column in the book — “If someone can’t accept you at their worst, then they probably won’t appreciate you at your best.

“I know that, but… I-I’m just afraid they’ll think that I’m this really cool girl when I’m really just a shy, awkward loser who can’t even talk to people without—”

Haruka-san!

“H-Huh?”

“I never, ever want to hear you say that again!” came Kumatani-san’s sharp reply. “You are not a loser!”

“B-But I—”

“Promise me!”

Haruka-san seemed almost struck silent by it all, before she finally found the words to speak.

“OK, N-Natsumi… o-oh no, I meant Kumatani-san! I-I’m sor—”

Hey.

She felt Kumatani-san’s hand touch hers; a light, gentle touch.

“We’ve been real buddies all along, right? Just Natsumi. Or Natsu-chan! Please.”

Another pause… and then a smile, ever-so-slight.

“Thank you… Natsumi.”

And in response, an even bigger smile from Natsumi.

“Go out there and kill it… Haruka-chan.”

Prompt: “You learn something new every day
Note: This piece was inspired by Episode 4 of Delicious Party♡Pretty Cure, where one of the main characters reads a similar book with similar advice.

Need some advice on how to write a certain scenario.

I'm working on mapping out a chapter in Dawn of Courage where the cast (plus a CotD) is tasked with dealing with an invasion of supposedly extinct monsters infesting a large well. The "boss monster" is a Scylla that not only has a lot of useful elemental spells under its belt, but also can use a sort of brainwashing ability to (try) take control of someone and turn them against their allies. I need some advice on how to perform such a ability to make it sound convincing. Plus, since during the fight Nova is forced to use Dare (effectively an attack-drawing spell) to have the Scylla use its brainwashing ability on him so the others can attack it safely, since even though he's gone through his mid-season upgrade (in the form of the Demon King Ring's upgrade), he's the least threatening to the gang if put under a control spell. Especially since the others will be using Shaman magic forms to bolster their power against this foe, which makes them more dangerous to each other if put under the control spell.

This will cause the unintentional side-effect of digging out old, traumatic memories in him that'll torment him, making it even more difficult for him to fight, and once the battle is over the CotD needs to temporarily seal Nova's bad memories that the control spell dug up so he can have a chance to recover from it. Thus I need some advice on how to both make the control spell seem threatening and convincing and also how to make Nova's trauma from the unearthed memories feel realistic. Especially since this is really the first time I've done such a form of mental trauma. Thanks in advance.

I have noticed that there are some stories that have like over 100 chapters. How are you guys able to come up with enough ideas to have that many chapters?
Note: I am not saying everyone does it, just a few that I have looked at.

Back
Top Bottom