• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Soo, I have found I write really bad stories (like when I actually write the story), but the ideas I come up with for the story is pretty good (in my head anyway). So that aside, can someone write a fanfic about like the personal life within Team Plasma, as a grunt. The grunt is torn between going with his friends who are in Team Plasma or going and living a quiet lonely life. But the more he gets entwined with Team Plasma the harder it is to leave, and then Team Plasma falls, and he is able to live a quiet life for a year (I don't remember how much time passed between bw1 and bw2) and even has a family. Then rumors start happening that Team Plasma is arising again as Neo Team Plasma, and he is yet again forced to choose his friends or his family. This story should be like and epic of being torn between what you feel and what you're told.
[EDIT: pls pm me the story thanks]
In all honesty, I urge you to try out writing more for yourself! No matter what the style of writing, even if it's for big things like movies or TV shows or whatever, the idea-makers are the ones doing the writing — you and you alone are going to have to create what's in your mind, because nobody else can look inside there! So let's not ask others to write stuff for you, maybe — you'll get better at writing if you just keep on going at it. (Trust me, I've been there before LOL.) We're a welcoming place, I'd like to think, so it's likely you'll get at least a few eyes on any given story you write? And even if you don't, it's really good practice, at least I'd like to think.

rant over; good luck!

In all honesty, I urge you to try out writing more for yourself! No matter what the style of writing, even if it's for big things like movies or TV shows or whatever, the idea-makers are the ones doing the writing — you and you alone are going to have to create what's in your mind, because nobody else can look inside there! So let's not ask others to write stuff for you, maybe — you'll get better at writing if you just keep on going at it. (Trust me, I've been there before LOL.) We're a welcoming place, I'd like to think, so it's likely you'll get at least a few eyes on any given story you write? And even if you don't, it's really good practice, at least I'd like to think.

rant over; good luck!
So yeah, I have thought about that, but the thing is, is that I write like a 4th grader. I try to write like someone who is serious about what they're writing, like a story/book that shows passion for what I'm writing, not a 4th grade incompetent story writer. (also I suck at structure and whatnot), but I will try in the future to try to write my own stories the way I write them. Thank you for the suggestion lisianthus. :) <3

I know I haven't contributed any stories to this area, I have quite a few ideas in my head for a series but find writing it down to post a lot harder than coming up with them

In my mind, the series would be slightly darker and a bit more realistic than the anime, the main character dealing with guilt at what happened to her little brother who suffered brain damage

writing it down to post a lot harder than coming up with them
100% agree with this.

I think no written work can be exactly as the author imagines - there will always be a difference between the story in one's head and the actual written story. I find it both disappointing and kind of exciting that you never know how the final story turns out - its first draft, at least!

I had a new fic idea recently! Decided focus on enjoying the writing process rather than "creating a perfect story" with this one... wonder how it'll turn out :hmm:

For the past few hours I've been brainstorming the final details on the "main antagonists" of Shooting Star Rider: Galvatron and Strika, and I want some advice/ideas on how to flesh them out more. I won't go into too many details so not to spoil things but these two are the main driving force behind the entire series, as it was their actions that snowballed into the series proper.

To start, Galvatron is basically the "final boss" of the series, and is largely similar to Duo from Battle Network, being an interplanetary missile/robot that sees himself as a god to judge any planet he wants. He's technically responsible for the destruction of numerous planets, including Constellatron, as it was him using his body/weapons to destroy whatever world he deems unworthy. Normally he would've left Constellatron alone since he knows they're basically intergalactic policemen, helping keep the peace and stopping more violent and dangerous races, like Virons, from causing trouble. But as explained below in Strika's "profile", he targeted Constellatron and destroyed it, opening the floodgates that starts the series proper.

As for Strika, she's the Man Behind the Man, as she influences Galvatron into destroying planets, and the "true" main antagonist. Her general character is basically a combo of Slur from NT Warrior Stream and Malty from Shield Hero (and is a massive hypocrite, to boot), and her personal goal is to cull the universe of all life that she deems inferior (aka: all life in existence outside of herself and Galvatron, her "master"). Like Galvatron she would normally leave Constellatron alone for the same reasons as him (begrudgingly), but she targets it in an act of spite toward Obsidian. She also targets Munoria, another completely innocent planet, so she can get her hands on the Sacred Treasures of the Five Clans (only for Munoria to outsmart her and the treasures end up in Obsidian's hands instead). She also allows the Virons to roam free after Constellatron is destroyed because they become unwitting pawns in her goal to destroy all "inferior" life, since their goal is to devour all life, and will "dispose" of the Viron planet when their usefulness expires. So, as you can see, she's the root cause of the entire series, and the one Obsidian has the biggest beef with.

Now, I need some advice and ideas how to flesh them out further. I'm open to suggestions on how to make them seem as threatening and hateable as possible (especially Strika), so it'll help properly motivate the heroes to defeat them for good. Thanks in advance.

Ok so there's a section of a Dragon Ball story I'm writing now that I'm a little unsure on. Let me set up the scene I'm writing before making my inquiry.

Layman's Context (for people not familiar with the series): The main protagonist is a superpowered individual who is going to public school for the first time and is trying to blend in. He uses a magical flying cloud to make his way just outside the school he's going to before walking the rest of the way, only to realize at the last minute that he miscalculated and arrived a few minutes early to where the school buses arrive shortly after he does. He tries his best to not look suspicious and blend in, but a girl notices how quickly he came knowing for a fact he isn't a local. The protag gives a lame vague excuse about his parents helping him, but the girl isn't buying it.

Context for Fans: I'm opening up my story with a retelling of the introductory segment of the Buu saga sometimes called the "Great Saiyaman arc". Gohan has arrived at Orange Star High School partially thanks to Flying Nimbus, but he miscalculated and arrived a few minutes early to where the school buses arrive after he does. He tries his best to not look suspicious and blend in, but Videl notices how quickly he came knowing for a fact he isn't a local. Gohan gives a lame vague excuse about his parents helping him, but Videl isn't buying it.

My question is as follows: Does it make sense for Videl to suspect something's odd about Gohan's arrival for the fact he slightly pre-empted the buses? Or is this a really silly leap in logic? If so, any suggestions for how to make Videl's suspicion more justified?

Now, I need some advice and ideas how to flesh them out further. I'm open to suggestions on how to make them seem as threatening and hateable as possible (especially Strika), so it'll help properly motivate the heroes to defeat them for good. Thanks in advance.
Strika is basically a huge Xenophobe? I would suggest having her rant about how horrible the hero's species is and why they deserve annihilation; and if those reasons don't actually have any weight, then lean in to her seething, hypocritic fury.

As for Galvatron, IDK, but you could just make him rudely interrupt someone's coronation, before shooting somebody. :bulbaLol:
My question is as follows: Does it make sense for Videl to suspect something's odd about Gohan's arrival for the fact he only slightly pre-empted the buses? Or is this a really silly leap in logic? If so, any suggestions for how to make Videl's suspicion more justified?
You could probably just sell her suspicion by having Gohan completely fumble trying to make a convincing lie.
Something like:

"I live about two hours away!"
"And when exactly did you set off?"
"About an hour ago."

This approach wouldn't just justify a character being suspicious, but could also be pretty funny, if you want that kind of tone. Although if your not careful you might end up making Gohan look extremely stupid, which might not be what you want.

So, I'm writing a plan for a short fic I want to write and so far I have these categories to detail:
  • Plot outline.
  • Themes I want to convey.
  • Characters.
  • Locations.
Anything else I should add? It's only going to be around five chapters long, so it doesn't really need to go into too much detail about the world.

Strika is basically a huge Xenophobe? I would suggest having her rant about how horrible the hero's species is and why they deserve annihilation; and if those reasons don't actually have any weight, then lean in to her seething, hypocritic fury.

As for Galvatron, IDK, but you could just make him rudely interrupt someone's coronation, before shooting somebody. :bulbaLol:

You could probably just sell her suspicion by having Gohan completely fumble trying to make a convincing lie.
Something like:

"I live about two hours away!"
"And when exactly did you set off?"
"About an hour ago."

This approach wouldn't just justify a character being suspicious, but could also be pretty funny, if you want that kind of tone. Although if your not careful you might end up making Gohan look extremely stupid, which might not be what you want.
I already did that, here's the dialogue I wrote for context:

“...But that still doesn’t explain how you got here so early - don’t try to convince me you’re a local, I know damn well that you aren’t. I got this part of town down inside and out.”

“Well, you know, I wanted to put my best foot forward and show extra dedication on my first day, and with a bit of help from my folks I was able to make it happen.”

Technically that last bit wasn’t a lie, but I wasn’t foolish enough to think it would convince her. It did suffice to make her reluctantly drop the subject, but not without leaving me with a warning of sorts.

“Name’s Videl Satan, and you better remember it. I’m keeping my eye on you.”

The main thing I wanted to know is if it made sense for Videl to question his earliness to begin with. Based on your response it seems you think that part is fine, unless I am mistaken.

The main thing I wanted to know is if it made sense for Videl to question his earliness to begin with. Based on your response it seems you think that part is fine, unless I am mistaken.
Well, is Videl the type of character to easily be suspicious about people? If she is, then you just have to make that clear to the reader and you should be golden.

If she isn't, then it might be harder to make the it work.
How early are we talking? Would it be unreasonable for people who don't live nearby to be there at that hour?

Well, is Videl the type of character to easily be suspicious about people? If she is, then you just have to make that clear to the reader and you should be golden.

If she isn't, then it might be harder to make the it work.
How early are we talking? Would it be unreasonable for people who don't live nearby to be there at that hour?
This is literally the first scene with her in my story. Gohan's just slightly early, and while the school's in a big city it's not deep in the metro since there's not a lot of traffic before the school buses come

i wanted to ask, does anyone have any tips or advice on worldbuilding re: making your own region+pokémon for it? it's something i've decided i want to do recently, but honestly the size of the task frightens me and i stress myself out when i try to start actively thinking about it, even though i do genuinely want to try. i think the root of my fears are something like i feel like there's no way i understand biology or ecology or environmental science or towns or governments or the world as a whole enough to try and make a whole region and new creatures (and also, i feel i'm not very creative). i'm definitely overthinking it, but i hate not having a full understanding of the entirety of what i'm trying to write, and there's no way i'll ever understand all of those things...

Come up with story idea I'm excited about
Diligently write first two or three chapters, come up with ideas for future characters and plot developments on the side
Interest in premise inexplicably vanishes into thin air
Get frustrated
2 weeks later, return to step 1

Every time without fail, I'm actually so sick of it. The one time I miraculously completed a fic it capped out below 50k words, meanwhile you got people on these sites that can pull out scripts surpassing the Lord of the Rings trilogy like it's nothing. Do I just need to force myself to hunker down and focus? I can't keep going like this it's seriously getting me down

Every time without fail, I'm actually so sick of it. The one time I miraculously completed a fic it capped out below 50k words, meanwhile you got people on these sites that can pull out scripts surpassing the Lord of the Rings trilogy like it's nothing. Do I just need to force myself to hunker down and focus? I can't keep going like this it's seriously getting me down
50k words isn't too bad. Don't worry about length though, length doesn't necessarily mean quality.

i wanted to ask, does anyone have any tips or advice on worldbuilding re: making your own region+pokémon for it? it's something i've decided i want to do recently, but honestly the size of the task frightens me and i stress myself out when i try to start actively thinking about it, even though i do genuinely want to try. i think the root of my fears are something like i feel like there's no way i understand biology or ecology or environmental science or towns or governments or the world as a whole enough to try and make a whole region and new creatures (and also, i feel i'm not very creative). i'm definitely overthinking it, but i hate not having a full understanding of the entirety of what i'm trying to write, and there's no way i'll ever understand all of those things...
i think what could help is finding something you want in that region, and then working backwards to find the in-fiction reasons why and make it make sense.

e.g. a scenario from my personal project: the space station my protagonist lives is run by a political group primarily representing members of this soap church (i just realized i forgot to name their religion…). but why? pretty easy: the station is infested with a self-replicating bioweapon. since the church’s tissue-obliterating soap-weapons are the only thing that can effectively destroy parts of it, they garnered reputation and power over tbe station’s citizens, eventually being able to make political power grabs. from there i could flesh out specific events, power structures, etc. it’s about building from general to specific, not the other way around.

i hope this helps!!

Don't I know that feeling all too well. Many series of mine tend to come out great in concept stages, but the actually writing the series sometimes runs headlong into a brick wall, causing me to either abandon the idea, try to fix it but get frustrated enough to give up, or the ambition level of the series creates a massive pitfall that traps me and ends up causing it to die because I can't keep it up. The first series I ever completed was my Chaos Rising series despite having been writing stories since 5th grade (and it taking a college course to actually get my writing skill, level, and style to an acceptable range). Plus there's the issue of going on unintentional hiatuses due to RL issues or lack of drive or because a different idea tickles my fancy and I chase after that. Just like the old saying, "he who chases after two hares catches neither", which sums up most of my writing headaches. So believe me when I say I know that feeling all too well, as I've run smack into that very problem time and time again. You'd think by now I would've learned to avoid that issue. Nope, as I still plow into it like Wil E. Coyote.

Which brings me to a more recent situation. Since I've managed to get Psychic Duelist Django back up and running again (we'll see how long that resolve lasts), I've been trying to map out some things that I wanted to include into it. However, to my great frustration, I ended up scrapping an entire arc for the final season. It was going to be a Capsule Monsters arc, where the gang (plus Noble, Django's grandpa) get sent to the Capsule Monsters World while on vacation, which would add in a bit of extra lore to the series. However, given how much more there is to write in this final season of PDD, and the "lore" in question might be contradictory to the main plot, I ended up scrapping it despite putting in a ton of work into the planning stages of it. It was quite frustrating to me, especially after all the work I put into it, but like @LightningTopaz said in some other threads, it's easier to put things in than take them out. And since I came to the realization that the Capsule Monsters Quest was just adding in too much into an already lore-heavy (and rather inconsistent) series I decided to give it the cutting room floor treatment to preserve my sanity and help keep my drive afloat. Besides, I'd rather not the final season of PDD end up as long as Season 3 (which capped off at a whopping 60 chapters, the longest season in any of my series to date sans Dawn of Courage, which isn't broken down into seasons like normally), and there's already the whole Dawn of the Duel-style bit needing to be done and the "final battles", so I accepted that the Capsule Monsters Quest had to be axed for the greater good. Wasn't happy about it because of all the work I put into it, but I deemed it a necessary evil if I'm to ever finish this series like I always planned to.

I haven't written fanfiction in over four years. I recently joined a Roleplay to see if I still have any writing talent after such a long break, and... I think I can do it again. So! Tonight I'm going to start writing a Pokemon short story. I'll post it once it's done. Wish me luck!
Remember, you don't need to write a fanfic that is the length and scope of something like Lord of the Rings. It can be a short story (under 10,000 words) if you want. Sure, 10,000 words is still a lot, but it is manageable if you know what you are doing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom