• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

X & Y Compatibility with B & W

Virbank Video

Reaction score
My head is about to explode. Let there be absolutely no misunderstanding... this is huge.

One of the many, many things darting around my head at the moment is the compatibility issue. Do you guys think there will be full compatibility with Gen V? Or, do you think those who strive to Catch 'Em All will be starting from square one again? Would that be too brave of GF to do?

I never thought I'd say this - considering how much time and effort I've spent collecting 646 of the current 649 (or should that be 654...?!) Pokemon, however, I really don't think it would bother me if there was no compatibility.

I'm not sure why... I think I'm just fond of the idea that I may have to start again and try to collect every Pokemon in its new, glorious form.

The compatibility will probably be treated the same way as the other main series games had been so far. It will probably end up that you can only send your BWB2W2 pokemon over the XY games. The DS and 3DS cartridges can be handled on both a DS (DS) and a 3DS (both), and there are no compatibility issues with those two systems linking up together.

If you can transfer Pokémon from previous generations by using Black, White, White 2 and Black 2 only I think Pokémon transfered from Generation III games won't have the information about having a long travel through time anymore because that would be too confusing if Ruby and Sapphire remakes are made in Generation VI. I'm thinking that the time of Generation VI will happen close to Generations I and III and will therefore happen before Generation V in the history of the Pokémon world.

Last edited:
As I said in the download thread, hopefully GF are smart and they add a feasible one console transfer system. Have a digital X? Pop in B2W2 or BW, have the game read the card, and transfer them over. How hard could it be?

Agreed. I HATE the minigame in Black and White, I refuse to play it. If I wanna send someone over, I just use Pokecheck, it's sooo much easier, even if I do wind up with two copies.

You should be able to port them to the newest generation just like they did with the Poké Transfer feature in BW2, although i think they might remove the minigame.

I just hope they don't make you wait 24 freaking hours before you can send another batch like DPPT did, that was awful!

If you can transfer Pokémon from previous generations by using Black, White, White 2 and Black 2 only I think Pokémon transfered from Generation III games won't have the information about having a long travel through time anymore because that would be too confusing if Ruby and Sapphire remakes are made in Generation VI. I'm thinking that the time of Generation VI will happen close to Generations I and III and therefore happening before Generation V in the history of the Pokémon world.

Disagree, I think Gen VI will be at the same time or after Gen V. And recently has come to my mind the idea that Hoenn won't return in the form of remakes exactly, but brand new storylines.

There's no reason for them not to have backwards compatibility. Between Gen II and Gen III the way a Pokémon's was data was stored was completely changed. The data structure we have now is pretty solid, so there's no need to change it.

I really hope X/Y will allow for trade with BW/BW2 (maybe with limitations like that of G/S/C with R/B/Yw where you couldn't send back pokemon with gen 2 moves/gen 2 pokemon?). No more of this pal park minigame nonsense please.

Long as it is not a 1 by 1 process I'll be happy dont fancy doing it hundreds of times.

Tbh if they firm up the codings and disable any easy haxs I'd be happy with a no cross over fresh start.

It will probably be a mechanism to transfer forward Pokemon permanently like they've done before between generations.

Now, if they could make it possible to do it all on one console, that would be great. Maybe something like first inserting BW/B2W2 into the 3DS and then let it write the Pokemon data into the system (could writing to SD card work?), turning off and then afterwards inserting XY to receive them through whatever in-game machine there is.

If you can transfer Pokémon from previous generations by using Black, White, White 2 and Black 2 only I think Pokémon transfered from Generation III games won't have the information about having a long travel through time anymore because that would be too confusing if Ruby and Sapphire remakes are made in Generation VI. I'm thinking that the time of Generation VI will happen close to Generations I and III and will therefore happen before Generation V in the history of the Pokémon world.

I disagree. I think think that if RS are remade this gen, the "long travel through time" note is essential. It would allow you to distinguish between Hoenn Gen VI and Hoenn Gen III Pokemon.

Pokemon hasn't done a prequel yet, so my bets are on that.

I never bother with transferring, I have two 3DS' so I just trade between myself, so as long as I can do that, I don't mind at all. I only ever bring a few Pokémon across anyway, I don't bring full teams.

DS to 3DS transfers?

Do you think there will be a way to get your pokemon over to x and y from your gen IV (D,P, PL, HG,SS) and gen V(B,W, B2, W2) DS games because i hope so or my female level 56 turtwig on platinum is going to get very lonely.

Re: DS to 3DS transfers?

There will most likely be a way. GameFreak know how fans hated not being able to send their Gen II Pokémon over to Gen III, so ever since they have maintained backwards compatibility.

In a way, I hope they do make that feature available... It would be awesome to travel around with my old Pokes from past games and battle in full 3D. But then again, if they had no compatibility it would be fun starting from scratch... It would cause somewhat of an uproar though...

I am hoping they find some way to do it by just using one 3DS console, for example, putting in Black and wanting to transfer 6 Pokes, you then save them onto the 3DS somehow, take Black out and then put X/Y in and you're able to transfer data? It would be so much easier than messing around with 2 consoles...

Of course there will they dont want another fanboy/girl meltdown people boycotting the gen and game cause they cant let go... some people still hate gen 3 cause they couldent transfer thier pokemon

Im more intresed in trasnfering pokemon OUT of the game and in to the DS i doubt this will happen but i will be annoyed if you cant.. well probably asuming i like the gen 6 pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom