• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

XY Won't Receive ORAS-Compatibility Patches

Probably will be addressed with the "third version" of X and Y. Two birds with one stone.

Probably will be addressed with the "third version" of X and Y. Two birds with one stone.
Not happening according to Masuda himself:

Masuda said:
"For example, if after Black and White we came out with a grey, people would have been expecting that," he said. "Same thing with X/Y and having a Z straight afterwards. So we're always just trying to surprise people."

"There's been a lot of demand from people to remake Ruby/Sapphire on social media, for example," he said. "Right now really felt like a good time to do it, and instead of doing a direct sequel to X/Y we're tying it together in some unique ways."
There won't be another Kalos game. The "unique ways" most likely pertains to DLC content, which is completely independent of a compatibility patch as I explained in the relevant thread.

Nah I get why, its because if the patch is downloaded then the game is played on a 3ds without the update, its missingno. material.
That may apply to the Weather trio's new moves, but the new Mega Stones could simply disappear or become ghost items. Failing that, they could have just released a compatibility patch for battles.

They say in the actual interview that they want "to have this separation" between XY and ORAS. Translation: They want ORAS to have exclusive content so that you can only experience the new Mega Evolutions by buying the remakes. This doesn't rule out a DLC expansion for XY as it wouldn't be about the ORAS content, anyway.

Nah I get why, its because if the patch is downloaded then the game is played on a 3ds without the update, its missingno. material.
That may apply to the Weather trio's new moves, but the new Mega Stones could simply disappear or become ghost items. Failing that, they could have just released a compatibility patch for battles.

They say in the actual interview that they want "to have this separation" between XY and ORAS. Translation: They want ORAS to have exclusive content so that you can only experience the new Mega Evolutions by buying the remakes. This doesn't rule out a DLC expansion for XY as it wouldn't be about the ORAS content, anyway.

The new moves will likely become like hms (in a sense) know how you can't trade pokemon that know hms? Thats what they'll do here. For battles it may show the mega cut scene but not the pokemon, like in black and white if you found someone using black or white kyrueem.

I still don't quite understand why it's not possible to make the ORAS Megas available in XY. Even if ORAS are intended to be the last games of Gen VI, it's not like Gen VII is going to appear overnight. I'll be honest, these comments from Masuda just sound like Nintendo-speak for "We don't want to tell you the real reason why not"

Wait, so does this mean they purposely cut off compatibility for battle reasons just for a money grab? That's cheap! Also, did they just imply that Zygarde's going to get the short end of the stick and be ignored? I honestly am starting to think that Nintendo is just rushing this generation just because it was released later in the 3DS's lifespan.

So, what will that mean for battles? Are you completely not able to, or are you just not able to use ORAS megas, or what? I feel like they are always telling only half of the story.

Masuda said:
"For example, if after Black and White we came out with a grey, people would have been expecting that," he said. "Same thing with X/Y and having a Z straight afterwards. So we're always just trying to surprise people."

"There's been a lot of demand from people to remake Ruby/Sapphire on social media, for example," he said. "Right now really felt like a good time to do it, and instead of doing a direct sequel to X/Y we're tying it together in some unique ways."
There won't be another Kalos game. The "unique ways" most likely pertains to DLC content, which is completely independent of a compatibility patch as I explained in the relevant thread.

Uh, sounds interesting, but honestly it might just be some crazy marketing scheme Nintendo and GF came up with. Let's hope that whatever it is doesn't extremely inconvenience the fans.

Masuda said:

Uh, sounds interesting, but honestly it might just be some crazy marketing scheme Nintendo and GF came up with. Let's hope that whatever it is doesn't extremely inconvenience the fans.

I agree. Nintendo probably wants Game Freak to forego DLC for more money. They don't care if we complain. They only care that we fill their wallets. That's business for you!

Masuda said:

DLC is unique? It's the most expected form of expansion after third versions/sequels and something every other developer does. If they want to surprise people, they'll have to do better than that.

DLC is unique? It's the most expected form of expansion after third versions/sequels and something every other developer does. If they want to surprise people, they'll have to do better than that.
Unique for the main series. Game Freak haven't done it before, and it's certainly a huge step up from third versions.

Masuda said:

Didn't they say back at the start of the XY prerelease that they didn't want to release addition DLC and that they wanted to release the games as a single out of the box package?

Yes, which is what makes this stranger. If they wanted the Megas to be an incentive to buy ORAS, then I don't see why a Mega patch couldn't be released six months down the line. After that span of time anyone who wants the Megas enough to pay for them, ever, will like as not already have done so

Unique for the main series. Game Freak haven't done it before, and it's certainly a huge step up from third versions.

Except people play other games than Pokemon, so they can't just call it a surprise because the series has never done it. And it might be a step up from third versions, but it'd be a step down from sequels, since they can design the game almost any way they want. A patch mostly limits them into tacking on new areas and content.

Except people play other games than Pokemon, so they can't just call it a surprise because the series has never done it.
They treated sequels as a surprise, even though they weren't completely unprecedented for the series itself and certainly not for the industry. What's the difference? DLC would be a surprise seeing as most fans clearly insist that there will be another Kalos game despite Game Freak strongly hinting otherwise.

And it might be a step up from third versions, but it'd be a step down from sequels, since they can design the game almost any way they want. A patch mostly limits them into tacking on new areas and content.
Deal with it. They have other priorities than releasing another Generation VI game, which would require making this generation last four years; they could always revisit Kalos years down the line in another generation. Let's at least give Game Freak's DLC a chance before we judge it.

That's weird. It would be easy to patch them in and trading and battling between games is one of the core Pokemon philosophies. They've never done anything to inhibit that, Gen 3 aside.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom