• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY003: Keromatsu VS Yayakoma! Aerial Battle Maneuvers!!

I doubt he will be the Gym Leader

He will. The official profile on the anime's cast page refers to him as such.

That kinda seriously annoys me just because of how the character is now, he is using a Bunnelby...
Yes, Ash has traveled with Gym Leaders before, but it was usually after the battle or close to it. Ash won't be battling Clemont until half the season is over.

I know this is getting in the realm of fantasy wrestling, but I think it would have been interesting if Ash challenged Clemont to a battle right off and lost, then Clemont asks to join him on his journey to watch Ash grow. So during the series Clemont is always the stronger trainer, but Ash continues to get stronger. Then as the two connect as friends they have the epic rematch.

I just have a feeling when they reveal Clemont to be the Gym Leader of Lumiose City it will really be anti-climactic. Part of me still thinks you will see Trevor be the Gym Leader over Clemont for several reasons. The first is Trevor also lives in Lumiose City, Trevor has a Pikachu in the game, and Trevor is about Clemont's age.

That's because it's a recently caught one. It's not his main Pokemon for the gym. In the previews of upcoming episodes it showed him training his Bunnelby with Heliolisk, one of his main Gym Pokemon.

I really liked this episode. omg that Pokedex voice.... So high and squeaky, I couldn't stop laughing about it for some reason. It was great to see Ash using a strategy with Froakie to battle Fletchling. I liked the animation of the two battles between Fletchling and Froakie.

Nice to see Fletchling feel bad afterwards about stealing the fruit thing from Dedenne.

My feeling re: Clemont is that he isn't actually the Gym Leader, and won't be until the end of the series. Maybe something he does over the course of the plot will get him that position, but the way he acted in Lumiose City (especially around the tower) just doesn't say "I'm a Gym Leader" to me. It says "I'm kind of a loser and I am aware of this but I am going to do better!" Even with the low self-esteem Clemont seems to have, it's kind of hard to imagine that he would think so lowly of himself after he put in all the effort to become a Gym Leader.

Besides, he seems too responsible as a person to just walk away from the Gym for three months or however long it takes Ash to run around half of Kalos. Maybe he left the AI in charge or something.

My feeling re: Clemont is that he isn't actually the Gym Leader, and won't be until the end of the series. Maybe something he does over the course of the plot will get him that position, but the way he acted in Lumiose City (especially around the tower) just doesn't say "I'm a Gym Leader" to me. It says "I'm kind of a loser and I am aware of this but I am going to do better!" Even with the low self-esteem Clemont seems to have, it's kind of hard to imagine that he would think so lowly of himself after he put in all the effort to become a Gym Leader.

Besides, he seems too responsible as a person to just walk away from the Gym for three months or however long it takes Ash to run around half of Kalos. Maybe he left the AI in charge or something.

Maybe Clemont thought he wasn't a good gym leader after experiencing a badly performed battle and wanted to start over as a new trainer? Which may be why he used a newly caught pokemon for battle. He might have temporarily left the gym to an anime-only relative (like how Koga's sister was also taking care of the gym?), and he wanted to train more to find his confidence?

Oh, that's another good possibility. In that case, I have to wonder who the stand-in Gym Leader must be; his parent, or another sibling, or just a really skilled Trainer in his Gym that he trusts with the job?

EDIT: If I'm remembering correctly, I think Brock and Misty did the same thing, leaving the Gyms to their siblings while they went to travel with Ash. Then again, it's been a very long time since I've watched the Kanto series, so I could be wrong. Have there been any other instances like this?

why is there so much discussion of clemont not being the gym leader.... he is. he's in the credits, and if you ignore those, we have footage of him battling in his gym against a fake opponent, a robot he himself created. he's the gym leader. let's set that aside now. the question is, why is he keeping it a secret? why did he walk away so easily? will the big reveal of his secret be handled well? why does he has the gym set up to murder innocent people? where the hell are his and bonnie's parents to tell him to stop putting his little sister into dangerous situations and send her back to elementary school?

looking at upcoming episodes, we won't find out for a while. but in the meantime, he is the gym leader, so let's put that one to rest at least.

why is there so much discussion of clemont not being the gym leader.... he is. he's in the credits, and if you ignore those, we have footage of him battling in his gym against a fake opponent, a robot he himself created. he's the gym leader. let's set that aside now. the question is, why is he keeping it a secret? why did he walk away so easily? will the big reveal of his secret be handled well? why does he has the gym set up to murder innocent people? where the hell are his and bonnie's parents to tell him to stop putting his little sister into dangerous situations and send her back to elementary school?

looking at upcoming episodes, we won't find out for a while. but in the meantime, he is the gym leader, so let's put that one to rest at least.

I didn't say he wasn't the gym leader. He IS the gym leader, but temporarily left for more training due to confidence issues - is my theory.

I didn't say he wasn't the gym leader. He IS the gym leader, but temporarily left for more training due to confidence issues - is my theory.

haha, it wasn't you i was talking to, or anyone specific, or i would have quoted someone :) it's just something i am seeing all over the forums, including in this episode's discussion. my friend and i have the working theories of it being confidence, his issues with strength (from the game), or his heliolisk or robot going on a rampage.

As I said, pretty much the only thing I based that theory off of was my intuition on the situation, and as I haven't seen the anime in a while it could have easily been wrong :p But it's clear that Clemont isn't the average Gym Leader, at the absolute least.

I know he doesn't always do it but I kind of want to see Citron in all keigo. I mean his speech patterns are waaay more formal than the other traveling companions. But I just have a weakness for adorable dorks using keigo n_n I noticed it when I rewatched this episode for like the fourth time omg

I liked this episode for showing off more of Froakie, and how its frubbles could be used in battle. They remind me of how Oshawott would use his scalchop. The animation was a lot better too, and the environment was gorgeous to look at. I'm also liking how excited Ash is being, I never knew he could get that impressed with technology. With Bonnie and Clemont being siblings they interacted a lot more together than the other companions in one episode, but that may change when Serena joins and they have somebody new to talk to. I'd also like seeing more of Clemont's inventions and what other cool things they could do. Fletchling seems like another generic bird with very little personality so far, but now that it will be a Fire/Flying type it will at least be more unique than the other Flying/Normal bird Pokemon Ash has, and competing in the first gym should be good in giving it screen time. Overall it was a nice episode to watch, and I have no complaints about how things were handled. I'm not that fussed with Serena not being with the group, but we've at least seen some more personality from her, and I liked how she interacted with her mother too.

I liked the ep much. Ashs strategy for battling was great and Froakies copy of itself was great too. The battle itself was awesome and I liked how Fletchling was not captured with the first Pokeball Ash threw.
Clemonts invention was good too especially Bonnies reaction too it. And then how wrong it worked was great too. This series does everything right it seems!
Lastly the TRio was great in this ep and pretty funny too(poor James did not get his food). The capture of Inkay was good too. James always catches his pokemon by giving them food. But the sandwiches also got into the pokeball. How does that work?

So the episode dubbed is now called "A Battle of Aerial Mobility!" Does that mean it's the series premiere of official XY DUB? It airs February 1, 2014.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom