• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY101: Dance, Eievui! Its TryPokaron Debut!!

After the last fiasco where she cut her hair in a fit of pique after losing a match on her first go, I was hoping this time she'd shave her head fully bald a la Britney 2007

Episode Highlights:
~Couriway Town's TriPokalon stadium is beautiful. What a strategic way to implement the town's natural landscape. I'm really glad the event was outside and that it consisted of both day & night.
~All of the main characters Poke Puffs were gorgeous. I really wanted to eat them. Also, Serena's little beat with Pancham was pretty fun. And lol at Jessie who thought the performance round was simply baking Poke Puffs, rather than baking Poke Puffs while performing.
~Gothita fits Nini perfectly. I wish her character was expanded more, she's just so herself.
~We got to hear Mariya Ise's "kuwaiiiii" again.
~Jessie wins her first Princess Key! Which means she now has potential to collect two more and compete against Serena on the final stage. A bit late in the game, but hey.
~Serena is remarkably calm about losing...(almost as if she doesn't care).

For the 100th XY episode, I felt that it was okay. We all knew Serena was going to lose this one, whether by Eevee screwing up or some other plot ex machina. Thankfully it was the former, and impressively Serena was able to calm it down to complete their Performance. A noticeable change from a very similar incident during her first Showcase. The fall itself was Jessie's saving grace, which is what ultimately allowed her to win. The anime reinforces this given the sudden stop in music and activity, the painful slo-mo of Eevee's fall and so on.

And this is what disappoints me. That Jessie, despite being arguably talented in her own right, won by a technicality. Serena's 1st portion of her performance literally had her spinning around in circles while Braixen wheeled around stage shooting embers. ...where is the talent, ability and awe in that? Not to mention, we, as the real audience, fortunately get a spinning camera angle to accentuate the performance. Ash & Co merely see a 10 year old girl spinning in circles, smiling to herself. Serena's second portion consists of an emulation of Aria's performance in Dreaming a Performer's Dream!, right down to the Fire Blast. Meanwhile, Jessie is flying through the air with her Pokemon, showcasing their strength through Counter/Mirror Coat combinations and even throws up some Jack and the Beanstalk action.

Jessie continues to crank out original material that remains impressive, creative and unique. Yet, she still can't win unless Serena isn't present or Serena fails due to some other plot device. And that needs to change. I'm not saying Serena is a poor Performer-of course not (even though she currently tends to be repetitive). It's just, in some cases, her competitors are better. This episode would have been eons more impressive and substantial had Eevee not fallen and Jessie still come out the competition as the victor. Serena and Eevee would still have gotten the necessary experience and confidence respectively, and Jessie (along with Jessie fans) would be pleased.

But I digress. Other than that, everything else was fine-especially visually,

Last edited:
As far as episodes go, like the other Showcase episodes, this was a good one. In comparison to those other Showcase episodes though, this was honestly my least favorite.

I do like how they showed Eevee being really shy and nervous upon arriving to the Showcase hall. I liked seeing Palermo again, but I really wish she would have done something aside from seeing the Serena in the beginning and just watching the showcase. She could have spoken to Serena at the end of the Showcase or something. This silence is rather annoying though. I have to say once again, I love that Pancham sleeps with his glasses on. That's just so cute. And I loved the scene of Serena and her other Pokemon comforting Eevee.

Ok, I don't fully understand the context of what TR were looking for in that building, but I'm 99% sure they were trying to cheat in someway for Jessie to win the Showcase more easily, which only makes me even more pissed that she ended up passing the first round. Trying to cheat shouldn't end in victory, it should end in failure. Especially since they were wrong in whatever they thought the picture was.

Thrilled to see Nini again and her Smoochum crushing on Pancham. Though to be honest, I was rather disappointed to see that her new Pokemon was a Gothita. Not only because I don't care all that much for the species, but because it's really similar in body style and design to Smoochum. Not to mention that they're both Psychic types. Heck, in both her Pokepuff performance and her freestyle performance, Smoochum and Gothita did pretty much the exact same thing as each other; with Gothia only using Psychic as a difference.

I was confused with the Pokepuff baking at first because I didn't understand what the audience was voting for. Now I'm pretty sure they were judging how they made the Pokepuff, rather than judging the taste like in the other Showcase. If that's the case, I think that's pretty interesting and a nice change from the last Pokepuff baking theme performance. Nini's was okay, but again it was mainly due to herself and Farfetch'd since Smoochum and Gothita were just doing the same thing. I like how she used 3 Pokemon, but I just wish the 3rd was something other than Gothita. Serena's was nice. Pancham was cute drumming on the pans and bottles, but I wish he would have done more actual baking since he was the only Pokemon Serena used. The only thing that interested me with Jessie's was the end where Meowth imprinted his charm on the Pokepuff.

2 minor things I just want to say. I like how Clemont put berries in Eevee's food to get her to eat and the Performer with the Leafeon and Glaeon had an amazing design.

Moving on, I'm glad we finally got to see Nini's Heartbreak Performance in an actual Showcase. Also Farfetch'd's outfit was amazing. But for the 3rd time, Smoochum and Gothita's similarities made the performance a bit lackluster. And I felt it was rather short. Jessie's was a bit better simply because her Pokemon had different body styles and because of Gourgeist. Otherwise it was pretty meh. Wobbufett did nothing but use Mirror Coat and Counter to bounce back Jessie's body and Gourgeist's attacks, while Gourgeist made everything happen. Heck, I think it would have been better had she also included Meowth. I already figured Serena would lose since she won her last 2 Showcases and because of Eevee's shyness. But as soon as Eevee fell, I was certain. Her performance was beautiful overall, and her comeback after Eevee's mishap was great, but that fall man. Also, even though she only used Pancham for the 1st round, I wish she would have used him in her freestyle. So far, Nini today is the only Freestyle Performance that's been seen using more than 2 Pokemon. The rules say Performers can use their entire team, but most only use up to 2. I hope we see a 6 Pokemon Freestlye performance at some point.

I'm really pissed that Jessie won. Not just because I hate her and because I thought both of her performances were pretty lame, but again because she tried to cheat (and imo shouldn't have even passed the first round) and because she's most likely not going to win the Masterclass. I really wish Nini would have won. Oh well, maybe next time. Also James annoyed the hell out of me this entire episode with his constant cheering.

Better luck next time Eevee and Nini. Overall an ok episode, but my least favorite Showcase. 7/10.

Let's all take a minute to appreciate Nyasu's train of thought:
XdxZ4Yb.jpg

It appears to be an Ekans devouring a Mamoswine. I can't tell you why Meowth's thinking about that but considering the Gio fantasies in ages past I'm not surprised this is where his mind takes him.

...this my first post in this section of the forum in about five years and I made it for this.

So they are indeed showing Jessie getting the Keys! I did like her performance overall better than Serena's.

I'm glad that they improved the Puff Baking contest from last time - they made the baking itself into a performance, so you had to entertain the audience while also creating a Puff. Personally, I liked Jessie's Puff this time - the last coin-shaped chocolate at the end was so cool :3

Also, Serena has really matured a lot ever since her first debut performance. She's more confident, knows how to take a loss like a boss and cheers up Eevee when it is feeling guilty about the loss. Serena is my favorite heroine so far and I love the character development she has been given.

Heck, a lot of the minor performers have interesting, appealing designs!

It's almost a shame their just space fillers, because they seem like an interesting bunch.
My favorite designs are Lily and the Mighty Girl's look! *sigh* I think it would be awesome if they became rivals (that actually know each other) and sometimes meet with each other instead of just Shauna and Nini all the time, they could even have a brawl or something to keep it interesting. Then maybe it would solve the problem with Serena not getting enough battles in this arc.

Ah well.

Musashi winning warmed my heart at first (Meowth and Kojiro were adorable) but then she started to act arrogant sigh...

Oh Musashi, my least favorite TR member for sure.

I like how more people on Bulbagarden cheer when Musashi wins a key than they do when Serena wins one :)
Eh this comment is so biased. I for one only cheered for Jessie because of her performance in this one. Nothing more or less. And to be fair there are other reasons as well, like we want Jessie in the Master Class competition, so her winning one is long overdue. (This is her first good performance... so...)

But to say that people want Jessie to win more than Serena? That is too much of a stretch.

I'm just glad that Jessie's won this for once. I was getting tired of her being the buttmonkey she was during the AG days.
Get her two more keys, reach the Master Class, then she can fail.

I'm so glad that Jessie won this time!Her performance was creative and quite impressive.You did it girl! 10/10. <3

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom