• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY119: Rival Showdown! Satoshi VS Shōta!!

Is it just me or Shouta became strong TOO fast? 50 episodes ago he still had a Kimori and now is being showed as a powerhouse... For me this pacing's way quick and rushed, like a weak character OLM wants to become a threat just after 50 or so episodes after his debut.

Other than that nice episode overall, first time in a long way Gekkouga has a legitimate defeat, and a win for Onvern!

Is it just me or Shouta became strong TOO fast? 50 episodes ago he still had a Kimori and now is being showed as a powerhouse... For me this pacing's way quick and rushed, like a weak character OLM wants to become a threat just after 50 or so episodes after his debut.

Finally, someone fucking agrees! This basically sums up all of my issues with the guy.

Alright, Sawyer finally gets a win!

Cool, starting off with a random battle against a Scizor. Ok. I really liked how Bonnie started singing to Squishy when she thought something was wrong with him. That was sweet. Also nice to see what Team Flare is up to and that Officer Jenny was actually investigating the area where they were.

Now on to the battle. I'm happy Ash used Noivern in this battle rather than Pikachu like he's done with every other battle against Sawyer, but I still with he would have used Talonflame instead of repeating Hawlucha for the 3rd time. Oh well. I'm glad Noivern beat the dual ugly sword, though I really didn't expect him too. I also didn't expect him to have dragon claw here, and to be honest, I'd been hoping he wouldn't get dragon-type move, but I suppose its fine. I'm glad that Clawitzer took out both Noivern and Hawlucha. Sawyer's been long due for some wins against Ash. As usual, Sceptile vs. Greninja was the best battle. I was really impressed with how well Sceptile did evading and countering Greninja. I loved how they started playing the intro music as if Greninja was about to transform, and then it just stopped when he didn't. That was hilarious. I'm glad Sceptile finally beat Greninja. Hopefully Ash and Greninja get this transforming stuff solved soon.

OMG, Bonnie was wearing Slurpuff. That is too cute. Perfect ending to the episode. I'd give it a 9/10.

I'm so glad Team Rocket never showed up this time. Congrats to that.

Honestly, the only thing I liked from the whole episode was Team Flare. I was expecting Officer Jenny to encounter Xerosic and his goons, but I guess it'll be saved for another time or so. I also expected Z2 to have an angry stare at Lysandre but oh well. How many times is Team Flare going to test out that weapon and when are they hunting down Z1 a.k.a. Squishy?

Okay, the battle between Sawyer and Ash was lackluster to me. We should've seen more battling from Doublade. Why was Hawlucha taken out in one strike? So Ash suddenly fails the Ash-Greninja transformation. I didn't really expect that at first. How was Sawyer able to beat Ash like that? Even though I have reason to believe Ash will beat him in the League, Sawyer's development is being rushed. He's gotten too strong now. Sawyer is joining the group for now? That's a surprise.

Anyway, I'll at least rate the episode a 6/10.

It took him 58 episodes and 5-6 appearences to suddenly start to get stronger. I think people here are overexaggerating this a bit when they say this was rushed. I don't think it was that rushed or anything honestly.Going off his first appearance, it took 10 episodes to learn he had 1 badge, 21 episodes later he had 5, and 26 episodes later he has earned 8. For a rival who was introduced semi-late, that isn't too bad, I'd say. Its far more plausible than if Alain were to suddenly earn 8 badges in a span of 15 episodes. Also, Sawyer built a great team and everything, plus he pays a lot of attention to how his battles and other trainers battles go. He takes notes on literally everything. I think it makes sense that he's finally shown some progress.

Last edited:
From my perspective why it failed is Ash got nervous or unsure and was worried that he might faint again, so while he's thinking this his head is not really in the game (and by association Greninja is not either) and when you add, trying to focus on trying to trigger this form that he has not mastered yet but sorta has come to rely on, plus the possibility that he might faint again it's enough to have anyone lose and his mind just was not on the battle really and he lost focus.

xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz

I'll be honest, if I had some rare form or gift that connected me to my Pokemon and it made me faint I wouldn't try it again in a hurry, so props to my Ash for having the courage and recklessness to try something like that over and over again. :cool:

As for the episode itself, It was a great episode. I was happy that Noivern had learned a new move and glad he won his battle; felt so bad for Hawlucha as he is one of my favorites. Wish Pikachu was battling more, I miss him; I don't mind that Ash lost, I just mind that he lost to Sawyer and that kid got all his badges before Ash (I know why too but I'll keep that to myself) which in my opinion is dumb, but whatever.

I like Sawyer but his win was luck and under the circumstances that in my opinion that I stated up above, had Ash's head been really all in that battle Ash would have beat Sawyer. but his loss to Sawyer now will only make it more satisfying when Ash stomps him at the league; I don't care how much Sawyer has improved Ash has way more experience then him but sometimes that isn't really enough when I think about it. :(

I loved Bonnie singing to Puni-Chan to calm it; whatever her future career is, she's going to be really good at it; and can I just say how much I adore her snow suit. only Bonnie can make Pokemon inspired PJ's and snow suits look good. :love::D

I feel so sorry for the blue Z core and Lysandre is just one creepy dude and so are his stooges. I can't even decided now who I dislike and find more creepy and crazy, Lysandre or Cyrus from Team Galactic :unsure:. I hope Blue Z core comes out safe after this is over with.

I'm not even going to be upset that Ash will probably lose his match against Wulfric next week because I know he will get his eighth badge.
:)
Indeed you cheer me up!:)

How long did the Flare subplot get in this episode? >30s?...

Exactly 26. I'm hoping they'll start wrapping it up soon.
How pathetic. These 30s cameos have really done nothing for me. This plot needs another episode, and fast, or I'm sure I'll not be the only one to start losing interest.

I find it amusing that people have serious issues with Shota's progress when people in real life beat main series Pokemon games, going from zero to Champion, in less than a day.
On Serebii, there's an 11 page debate and argument that's going in circles about Shota beating Ash for the first time.

On Serebii, there's an 11 page debate and argument that's going in circles about Shota beating Ash for the first time.

I personally found that to be perplexing to say the least. Especially since the alternative is Sawyer finally beats Ash in the Pokémon League due to underdog status. At least with this episode, Saywer could no longer be assured victory in the League by virtue of being underdog.

It took him 58 episodes and 5-6 appearences to suddenly start to get stronger. I think people here are overexaggerating this a bit when they say this was rushed. I don't think it was that rushed or anything honestly.Going off his first appearance, it took 10 episodes to learn he had 1 badge, 21 episodes later he had 5, and 26 episodes later he has earned 8. For a rival who was introduced semi-late, that isn't too bad, I'd say. Its far more plausible than if Alain were to suddenly earn 8 badges in a span of 15 episodes. Also, Sawyer built a great team and everything, plus he pays a lot of attention to how his battles and other trainers battles go. He takes notes on literally everything. I think it makes sense that he's finally shown some progress.
Sorry, I didn't know exactly how many episodes there was.
I'd feel it'd less rushed had Alan got 8 badges in less time than Shouta since he's a far more experienced trailer. What I meant about the former's that he was presented as a young and rookie trailer and 58 episodes later has 3 full evolved Pokemon on his team.

I realise he was introduced later, still it's no excuse for a fast unreal evolution by the anime standards (in my opinion of course)

I personally found that to be perplexing to say the least. Especially since the alternative is Sawyer finally beats Ash in the Pokémon League due to underdog status. At least with this episode, Saywer could no longer be assured victory in the League by virtue of being underdog.
Yeah, I guess that's the one scrap of hope I've been given from this episode...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom