• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY125: The Kalos League Begins! The Mega Lizardon Showdown: X VS Y!!

The episode was so-so. It did a decent job on having the League feeling but everything is so "XY-like" for me to actually like it, with all the overpoweredness of both Ash and Alain. Tierno and Trevor got decent focus, but this came at the expense of Sawyer being sidelined, it seems kinda out-of-character for me. I had low expectations about the Furfrou battle but at the end it wasn't that bad and I liked Ash's determination. I think I'll give it a fiv.....WHAT? THE ENDING IS THE SAME?

0/10

So what filler episode from XY&Z would you guys have sacrificed in order to give the league the extra episode it so obviously needed?

My vote is the lock-picking episode.
The recent Goodra episode.

So what filler episode from XY&Z would you guys have sacrificed in order to give the league the extra episode it so obviously needed?

This (mega evo is the boringest gimmick ever) and this are also contenders in my book.
Tbh, that's actually a great showing for XY&Z - 3 (or so) duds in 30-odd episodes is not at all bad!

Many episodes - The Mega Audino episode, Lock Picking, Rotom Episode, Ingenuity Festival episodes

I would also take out the entire Korrina arc as it is essentially pointless. We could have had 4 extra episodes instead, one dedicated to Master Class, one to League and two to important development episodes. Oh well.

I actually stopped watching the anime for a bit during that arc because I found it all so dull...
I don't blame you. The break in-between the arc didn't help as we ended up having to wait one extra week for it to end.

I would also take out the entire Korrina arc as it is essentially pointless. We could have had 4 extra episodes instead, one dedicated to Master Class, one to League and two to important development episodes. Oh well.

Her arc had many very well done chapters, mega lucario going berserk against pikachu was one easily one of the most chilling moments in the series, hell all of her battles against blaziken and other megas were epic. And made the arc well worth watching.

Like many others have mentioned, this was a pretty disappointing episode considering it is one of the most important events in a pokemon series: The League. There were animation errors, the pacing was bad, the battles were full of OHKO's, Ash almost got himself disqualified...

However, I do think that they meant to show what they wanted. They wanted to show that Alain was this impossibly powerful trainer, and that Trevor didn't stand a chance against him. It would have been the same had they had Alain sweep through another trainer, and it would have been the same had Trevor battled another person. The MegaZard battle was underwhelming, but if the point was that anyone battling Alain was destined to be offered as a sacrifice, then the episode has served its purpose. That, along with Ash being powerful as well.

My favorite scene from this episode was Malva interviewing and Team Rocket following her as the camera staff. It's sure to keep us on our tiptoes... imagine Team Rocket finding out this celebrity reporter, member of the Elite Four, actually to be part of Team Flare... AND her possible interactions with Alain. I was expecting them to sell something again at the league, but this is much better.

I can't wait for the next episode. They placed Tierno to battle Sawyer to probably showcase Mega Sceptile and introduce the change in ability (Lightning Rod, hence the opponent being Raichu), and Ash is going to have his revenge match against Astrid, which is interesting because the preview showed Hawlucha vs Mega Absol, which mirrors the movie.

Her arc had many very well done chapters, mega lucario going berserk against pikachu was one easily one of the most chilling moments in the series, hell all of her battles against blaziken and other megas were epic. And made the arc well worth watching.
Those were cool moments, but I simply wasn't invested into Korrina and quite frankly I was annoyed they were treating a random gym leader with more respect than the actual companions, esp. since at that point both Clemont and Serena were in great need of focus.

I don't think Dragon Tail switches out Pokemon in the anime. If I recall, Clemont's Heliolisk used it on Ash's Goodra and no switch out occured.
They could change/fix that already after this amount of time.
(or make the move have a 50% chance of activating it' switching effect, or say that in a gym battle the move works by the rule of the gym)
They could say that it works in regular battles normally.

(other thing - now I need to hope Alain or somebody else will have Shedinja in future gym or league battle... Slaking is also good for Sawyer and makes sense it was only in one gym.)

Last edited:
I knew these first 2 episodes were going to be rushed which is a real shame because the rules are fucking perfect. This episode had the necessary beats it just blazed through them.

I don't mind Trevor getting trounced he striked me as total scrub. Yeah I'm sad for the Yzard was treated but his moveset wasn't fit for a Yzard. I though Takeru was interesting but I can't refute the idea that he was unnessary because me was. But let's say he had to be put in the league. I'd say he was put in perfect place frankly. I like the way his battle was happening simultaneously with Trevor being curbstomped. If they just showed them back to back it would be a different story. If we saw Ash-Greninja quickly tear all three pokemon. I'd go as far to say the episode was good. Ash and Alain are really strong afterall. We don't know how much of the Florges fight we missed after all.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom