• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY140: The Endless Zero! Until the Day We Meet Again!!

At least there is hope we will see Greninja again same as Goodra
There isn't. Goodra can be called upon. Greninja is just released. We are not seeing it again which is terrible in my opinion. This episode is rubbish due to amorshipping reference. It wouldn't make up for the series anyway even without the kiss. In the end, the writers did more harm than good in my opinion.

At least Ash didn't win the league. If he won the league with Greninja and then released it, then that pretty much ruins the entire anime series for me because that is a bigger insult than just releasing it after the league loss.

There isn't. Goodra can be called upon. Greninja is just released. We are not seeing it again which is terrible in my opinion. This episode is rubbish due to amorshipping reference. It wouldn't make up for the series anyway even without the kiss. In the end, the writers did more harm than good in my opinion.

At least Ash didn't win the league. If he won the league with Greninja and then released it, then that pretty much ruins the entire anime series for me because that is a bigger insult than just releasing it after the league loss.

Greninja has the power of popularity like Ash's Charizard. In fact, he's the most popular thing to come out of the anime since Ash's Charizard. Most people would know little of Ash's ace Pokémon outside of Charizard. Sure, Sceptile and Infernape were popular, but not as iconic as Charizard and Pikachu. Greninja changes all of that. Especially Ash-Greninja. If people weren't aware before, they are aware now. Ash has a Greninja and it's a Greninja that looks like him. And officially named after him. And it's in the games.

Best Wishes can bring Charizard out of nowhere with little no reasons other than nostalgia reasons. They can do the same with Greninja and have the means to do it (Zygarde cells are everywhere).

Best Wishes can bring Charizard out of nowhere with little no reasons other than nostalgia reasons. They can do the same with Greninja and have the means to do it (Zygarde cells are everywhere).
No they can't. Charizard was in training. Greninja is not. It is gone for good and hoping for it to come back is pointless in my opinion.

No they can't. Charizard was in training. Greninja is not. It is gone for good and hoping for it to come back is pointless in my opinion.

Ash-Greninja finishes clearing out the red vines. He is no longer needed to protect the Kalos region anymore. Ash-Greninja wants to be back with Ash again. Squishy uses the Zygarde Cells to find Ash. Ash is in the Alola region. And Ash is fighting against Ultra Beasts. He needs aid. Ash-Greninja reaches the Alola region through some unspecified means (maybe Zygarde) and saves Ash just in time. Ash becomes overjoyed that Greninja returned. After a few adventures, Ash decides to put Greninja with Oak along with Charizard. Charizard and Greninja become fiercest and yet friendly rivals.

And that's the easy path I could have come up with Ash-Greninja returning. Mine would have been dedicated to a movie focusing Ash-Greninja's search for Ash Ketchum after cleaning up the vines. It would have involved reuniting with old friends and companions, both familiar and unfamiliar to Ash-Greninja, and the last scene would have Ash-Greninja finally meeting Ash on top of a mountain where the Ho-Oh finally lands before the trainer. Ash turns around and tearfully embraces Greninja. Think Luke Skywalker of The Force Awakens.

Never underestimate the power of popularity. The mighty Charizard made his return in BW after being completely absent in DP/BW Season 1 (which is about 5 years or more) and this time, stayed with Ash at Oak's Lab for good.

And if I recall correctly, Charizard was considered by many fans to be released back when Charizard's Burning Ambition aired... before the 3rd movie tells us that this is not the case at all.

Ash-Greninja finishes clearing out the red vines. He is no longer needed to protect the Kalos region anymore. Ash-Greninja wants to be back with Ash again. Squishy uses the Zygarde Cells to find Ash. Ash is in the Alola region. And Ash is fighting against Ultra Beasts. He needs aid. Ash-Greninja reaches the Alola region through some unspecified means (maybe Zygarde) and saves Ash just in time. Ash becomes overjoyed that Greninja returned. After a few adventures, Ash decides to put Greninja with Oak along with Charizard. Charizard and Greninja become fiercest and yet friendly rivals.

And that's the easy path I could have come up with Ash-Greninja returning. Mine would have been dedicated to a movie focusing Ash-Greninja's search for Ash Ketchum after cleaning up the vines. It would have involved reuniting with old friends and companions, both familiar and unfamiliar to Ash-Greninja, and the last scene would have Ash-Greninja finally meeting Ash on top of a mountain where the Ho-Oh finally lands before the trainer. Ash turns around and tearfully embraces Greninja. Think Luke Skywalker of The Force Awakens.

Never underestimate the power of popularity. The mighty Charizard made his return in BW after being completely absent in DP/BW Season 1 (which is about 5 years or more) and this time, stayed with Ash at Oak's Lab for good.

And if I recall correctly, Charizard was considered by many fans to be released back when Charizard's Burning Ambition aired... before the 3rd movie tells us that this is not the case at all.
Charizard was in the Charizard training area so it didn't count as released. Also that top bit is not going to happen. Greninja is gone forever. No good giving others false hope. This is one thing I won't forgive Ash or the writers for.

Charizard was in the Charizard training area so it didn't count as released. Also that top bit is not going to happen. Greninja is gone forever. No good giving others false hope. This is one thing I won't forgive Ash or the writers for.

If a writer can bring back Goodra with nothing more than an old man who happens to live nearby the swamps and one truck, I don't see what's the problem of a legendary Pokémon using its abilities to bring back good old Greninja. And if writers can resurrect a character that is long deceased by the voices of fans and young children (think Optimus Prime), there is no permanent bus for Greninja. You'll have to cancel the show to prevent an inevitable return as Ash-Greninja is something you cannot ignore (not after that little demo featuring a particular Greninja that Masuda admits was a means to draw in anime fans).

And yes, when I was young and saw that episode, I was convinced that Ash left Charizard forever. It's not like we had any Pokémon who left the group and later came back prior to Charizard. People need to remember what was it like for children back then to see Charizard leave.

If a writer can bring back Goodra with nothing more than an old man who happens to live nearby the swamps and one truck, I don't see what's the problem of a legendary Pokémon using its abilities to bring back good old Greninja. And if writers can resurrect a character that is long deceased by the voices of fans and young children (think Optimus Prime), there is no permanent bus for Greninja. You'll have to cancel the show to prevent an inevitable return as Ash-Greninja is something you cannot ignore (not after that little demo featuring a particular Greninja that Masuda admits was a means to draw in anime fans).

And yes, when I was young and saw that episode, I was convinced that Ash left Charizard forever. It's not like we had any Pokémon who left the group and later came back prior to Charizard. People need to remember what was it like for children back then to see Charizard leave.
Greninja is not Goodra. Goodra is a pokemon he can call upon. Greninja is not. It is permanently released. We never gonna see it again. Blame the writers for that. Demo doesn't confirm anything for anime.

Greninja is not Goodra. Goodra is a pokemon he can call upon. Greninja is not. It is permanently released. We never gonna see it again. Blame the writers for that. Demo doesn't confirm anything for anime.

Nothing is confirmed in the anime. If the writers want to bring back Greninja or to make him rejoin Ash's team, they will, regardless of the reason. As such, we can't say for sure that Greninja is gone forever, and his huge popularity significantly raise the chances of a cameo or even a return.

So don't take things for granted and consider the possibility of his return, for how slim or huge it can be.

Nothing is confirmed in the anime. If the writers want to bring back Greninja or to make him rejoin Ash's team, they will, regardless of the reason. As such, we can't say for sure that Greninja is gone forever, and his huge popularity significantly raise the chances of a cameo or even a return.

So don't take things for granted and consider the possibility of his return, for how slim or huge it can be.
His release pretty much confirms. Pidgeot never came back did it? Greninja had it's time in Kalos. There is no reason to be in Alola. Therefore it is a confirmed release.

His release pretty much confirms. Pidgeot never came back did it? Greninja had it's time in Kalos. There is no reason to be in Alola. Therefore it is a confirmed release.

Unlike Pidgeot, Greninja is a money-making Pokémon who happens to win Japan's Popularity Poll out of all 720 Pokémon available at the time. Ash-Greninja is said to be reason why Greninja became number one. Ash-Greninja also makes it clear that it belongs to only one person. Ash's Pidgeot on the other hand barely got any development, got pushed to the sidelines for the Kanto Starters (especially when Charmander finally evolves all the way to Charizard), and didn't do anything other than be Ash's scout as painful as that sound (I like that bird, moreso than the shiny Noctowl).

Plus, Ash's Charizard had absolutely no reason to appear in Best Wishes Season 2 other than provide fan service for old fans. I mean it's not like he was even brought to Kalos to test out Mega Evolution despite clearly having a golden opportunity to do so. If Charizard is brought back for fan service, Greninja can be brought back for the same reason considering it's Ash-Greninja.

I agree that Greninja=money. I would be surprised if they didn't do anymore marketing out of him when his popularity is unrivaled, aside from Charizard, of course. Heck, he's ranked the number one most popular. They'd bring him back at some point, even for a short cameo. The fact that they gave us specifically Ash's Greninja in the demo is proof.

Wow, what a marvellous ending for such a spectacular series. (The league fiasco and forced Greninja release aside) this has been such a wonderful series and my personal favourite out of all the series. Nice ending for Alain, the kiss, the montage, this ep had it all. While i'm still divided over Sun & Moon, I'l still give it a shot none the less and see what tricks S&M has up it's sleeve.

Last edited:
I don't think I've commented on here, but yeah, this episode was pretty great. I'm going to miss the XY series. ;_;

Unlike Pidgeot, Greninja is a money-making Pokémon who happens to win Japan's Popularity Poll out of all 720 Pokémon available at the time. Ash-Greninja is said to be reason why Greninja became number one. Ash-Greninja also makes it clear that it belongs to only one person. Ash's Pidgeot on the other hand barely got any development, got pushed to the sidelines for the Kanto Starters (especially when Charmander finally evolves all the way to Charizard), and didn't do anything other than be Ash's scout as painful as that sound (I like that bird, moreso than the shiny Noctowl).

Plus, Ash's Charizard had absolutely no reason to appear in Best Wishes Season 2 other than provide fan service for old fans. I mean it's not like he was even brought to Kalos to test out Mega Evolution despite clearly having a golden opportunity to do so. If Charizard is brought back for fan service, Greninja can be brought back for the same reason considering it's Ash-Greninja.
None of that matters. Greninja never went to training and therefore it is released for good. The fan service won't be able to bring it back in my opinion. The writers messed up big time on this. I am not going to have false hope of Greninja coming back. It is not coming back.

None of that matters. Greninja never went to training and therefore it is released for good. The fan service won't be able to bring it back in my opinion. The writers messed up big time on this. I am not going to have false hope of Greninja coming back. It is not coming back.

Goodra came back after you insisted he wouldn't. You claimed he was released therefore he couldn't come back. XYZ proved you wrong. Now, a Greninja that is named after Ash is something that GameFreak could not possibly ignore for long. A Charizard-like popularity means big cash and everyone knows that is true determination of a character's return. How else would Superman come back from the dead?

That's why Primeape never came back despite being "in-training" according to Bulbapedia. It wasn't popular enough. Serebii had the right idea of labeling it as "Used to have" instead of can be called upon.

Even if Greninja doesn't come back to Ash's side, we can guarantee that we'll see it again. Maybe in the far future, it'll get its own special.

Or maybe it will just appear for a cameo in Alola. I just can't see the writers throwing away money-making Greninja after literally putting it in the game version of the region Ash is going to, it's almost like a massive spoiler that will eventually come back.

Goodra came back after you insisted he wouldn't. You claimed he was released therefore he couldn't come back. XYZ proved you wrong. Now, a Greninja that is named after Ash is something that GameFreak could not possibly ignore for long. A Charizard-like popularity means big cash and everyone knows that is true determination of a character's return. How else would Superman come back from the dead?

That's why Primeape never came back despite being "in-training" according to Bulbapedia. It wasn't popular enough. Serebii had the right idea of labeling it as "Used to have" instead of can be called upon.
Goodra was one thing I was wrong about but that is because I believed it was fully released since the swamp wasn't a training area. Greninja is released for the whole of Kalos so it can't come back. It is not about popularity. It is about the chances of it returning and Greninja has zero chance of coming back. It has no purpose in Alola since it served it's purpose in Kalos. Ash-Greninja is just called that because it looks a bit like XY Ash. That is not enough to justify a possible return. So no, I do not believe it is coming back.

Goodra was one thing I was wrong about but that is because I believed it was fully released since the swamp wasn't a training area. Greninja is released for the whole of Kalos so it can't come back. It is not about popularity. It is about the chances of it returning and Greninja has zero chance of coming back. It has no purpose in Alola since it served it's purpose in Kalos. Ash-Greninja is just called that because it looks a bit like XY Ash. That is not enough to justify a possible return. So no, I do not believe it is coming back.

Charizard, Sceptile, and Lucario continue to be prominent in the anime and the franchise overall, long after they were introduced. They're hypemons that rake in money, and Greninja is the latest to reach that level of hype. Chances are they're going to bring him back sooner or later.

Story-wise he doesn't have to stay in Kalos after he takes out the remaining plants, whenever they want to bring him back they can say he finished that.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom