• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Yay! I'm the local loser! (<Sarcasm)

The only crap I've gotten was when people noticed I was on my computer alot, and the jerks made a joke that I was looking at Pokemon pron. It wasn't that bad, since the jerk leader watched Pokemon too 8D

I guess I'm in a rather unique position here, as I'm not a student nor officially working, but rather serving out my military conscription - it's policy in Singapore for all able-bodied 18-year old males to do it for two years (and I still have 9 months to go). And I guess you know what a military environment is like, even though I'm in an administrative department >< .

However, I'm still very open about my liking of Pokémon; I have three Pokémon keychains with me that I take everywhere as part of my wallet and handphone to show that. I know I'm regarded as the local joker in my military camp in part due to my past immaturity and in part because I'm a Pokémon fan; inadvertently and unknowingly I contributed to the stereotype that Pokémon fans are simplistic, immature, and childish, if not neurotic. Since then I have started to learn to be more particular and sophisticated about myself in the hopes that I can shake that image off. My superiors and colleagues know that I like Pokémon, and one of my colleagues who is in the same department as I admitted to liking it at least in the past (he even showed me his Pichu TCG card XD). I do get teased now and then for liking Pokémon, but I usually take it in my stride or just simply shake it off. Another one of my colleagues (who is in another department) has a Nintendo DS himself, and he once told me that he is waiting for the English version of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl too.

Yep, I've been bashed for liking Pokemon. One example would be; a boy in homeroom (last year in 7th grade) asked me if I liked Pokemon and the kids (not all of them though) started laughing and making me feel embaressed. The thing is the teacher didn't even know what they were talking about. There are other "incidents" though, but not as harsh as that one.

Well I'm 16, and no one has ever given me a hard time about it. Except on the bus, where they call me Pikachu girl (which I actually think is kewl). I met one of my best friends because I wore my Pokemon backpack to school.

He just flagged me over and asked me if I liked anime, then loaned me vol. 1 of Battle Royale.

I like Pokemon AND Digimon, but NOT Yu-Gi-Oh!, and everyone bashes me for it. I just pretend to ignore them, then say something like "F**K YOU!" or "GO TO HELL!" OR "YOU SUCK!" because I personally think Yu-Gi-Oh! is crap and Pokemon and Digimon are awesome! Why I dislike Yu-Gi-Oh!? Because when I was in like fifth grade, before Season 4 of Digimon and Pokemon R/S, Yu-Gi-Oh! Totally MURDERED both Pokemon AND Digimon! But any Pokemon or Digimon strong enough to rip a card to shreds can easily beat one of those Yu-Gi-Oh! things without getting hurt, even that Exodia thing. I hate beng bashed! I just never got into it for that reason. Hell, even my cute, little, psychotic, butt sniffing, mother's DOG can beat a Yu-Gi-Oh thing without any stress. I bet she also could make a better president than Bush, AKA Baka-Zaru (Idiotic Monkey) No offense to anyone about any of this, but that's merely my opinion.

I`m a freshman in highschool and am an open Pokemon addict. Yeah sure I get made fun of for it, but then point out the fact that they have at one point played the games in their lifetime. The usual reply is that they stopped playing because they got "too old for it." All that proves is that they can`t stick to a hobby.

My friends and I get together on weekends and battle our pokemon, me usually winning because I actually use stratigie, then at school we talk about the weekends tourny. Even in my german class I openly admitted I played Pokemon when we had to talk about ourselfs in front of the class.

I like Pokemon AND Digimon, but NOT Yu-Gi-Oh!, and everyone bashes me for it. I just pretend to ignore them, then say something like "F**K YOU!" or "GO TO HELL!" OR "YOU SUCK!" because I personally think Yu-Gi-Oh! is crap and Pokemon and Digimon are awesome! Why I dislike Yu-Gi-Oh!? Because when I was in like fifth grade, before Season 4 of Digimon and Pokemon R/S, Yu-Gi-Oh! Totally MURDERED both Pokemon AND Digimon! But any Pokemon or Digimon strong enough to rip a card to shreds can easily beat one of those Yu-Gi-Oh! things without getting hurt, even that Exodia thing. I hate beng bashed! I just never got into it for that reason. Hell, even my cute, little, psychotic, butt sniffing, mother's DOG can beat a Yu-Gi-Oh thing without any stress. I bet she also could make a better president than Bush, AKA Baka-Zaru (Idiotic Monkey) No offense to anyone about any of this, but that's merely my opinion.

I love how you claim you hate bashing, and yet you turn around and bash Yu-Gi-Oh! all in the same post. What do you call that? Oh, right. It's called being an hypocrite. Enjoy.

And may I just point out, that yelling "F**K YOU, YOU SUCK, or GO TO HELL" is bashing people for liking the things that they like, which is exactly what this thread opposes.

Pokemon pretty much was phazed out when i was in elementary skool by 3rd grade and replaced by Yugioh for 3 years until it made a brief comeback with Firered and Leafgreen

now i'm a freshman....

Pokemon has much more tolerance yet still a lot of opposition(Catholic high skool)

Pokemon fans have to go underground

I'm not an open Pokémon fanatic, but I don't hide it, either. I remember back when I got Ruby, most of my friends had it, too, and we'd spend hours on end talking about it and the other games. In fact, one person said it was cool that I was a girl and into Pokémon :3. Now that Diamond/Pearl is coming out, all of my friends are getting that, too, and we talk about that.
Nobody has a problem with the games at my school, it's the anime. Most of my friends liked the Kanto episodes, but they're always making fun of the more recent episodes.

Last edited:
I've been teased a little about liking Pokemon back in junior high, but ever since, no one's bothered me about liking it. (incidentally, junior high was around the time I faded away from liking Pokemon; upon hearing news about Diamond and Pearl, I got back into the hype) Now, I'm a freshman in high school, and it's still not a problem. Infact, the other day, my classmates brought up Pokemon for some reason I can't remember. I usually zone out instead of pay attention to other's conversations, but I piped in and mentioned that I still play the videogames, to which they responded in a friendly manner. Of course, I only have two classmates...but it's still nice to know there are people who respect the things you enjoy. However, while I'm still as addicted to the games as ever, I've moved away from the anime...

Yesterday I did an oral speech on why Pokemon is more complex than people generally believe. I got 92.5%. :D

Also, four of my friends at school are getting D/P, so we're going to go crazy >D

Yesterday I did an oral speech on why Pokemon is more complex than people generally believe. I got 92.5%. :D

Also, four of my friends at school are getting D/P, so we're going to go crazy >D

Good for you! Can you PM it to me? I wanna read it.

A lot of people in my school play pokemon, but they're more casual players if anything.(No I dont mean casual battlers, I mean people who just play through the adventure and nothing else). No one there seems to know anything about competitive battling. Oh well. Some people dont like pokemon, but they dont tease you for it. I only talk about pokemon when asked.

Everyone who plays the game seems to agree that the game is awsome, while the anime is horrible, and the people who dont like pokemon have never really touched the game

Heh. One of my friends, who is like the most popular kid at my school, carries his DS Lite around after school, walking the long way down the hallway to show it off. His friend, who I never really liked, did it as well. Maybe it was just to be "Out there" like they both are, (I.E. wearing tight girl pants and tight shirts, with long hair died black in the front and short spikes in the back. Oh, and my friend has a pink DS Lite. Heh.) but we've had some pretty cool discussions about who's the best fourth generation Pokemon, and stuff. He even helped me out with the 7th gym's puzzle.

Now, my best friend admitted to me that he liked it, after I told him. Quote: "I'm a super secret nerd." XD So now I'm actually considering bringing my DS to school and taking the walk with my friend and his friend.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom