• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your B/W Hero?

BlueNostalgia

Impossible is only a word
Reaction score
So I checked the first 5 pages and didn't see anything like this, but I've been mistaken before; sorry if this has already been done :S

What Pokemon was it that really pulled you through B/W? We all have our squads of six, but I know that, for me and my friends anyway, there's always one member of your party that just stands out.

This isn't a "What's your favourite Gen V Pokemon?" question, but rather which member of your team turned out to be the most helpful, most powerful, and generally, most awesome?

Galvantula is my favourite from Gen V, but for me the answer to this definitely has to be Chandelure for White. Her crazy high Special Attack, along with the move set of Sunny Day, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, and Solarbeam made her almost unbeatable. She almost carried me through Ghetsis (who I think we can all agree was easily the toughest fight in the game) single handedly.

I'm lucky enough to own both games, buying one myself and getting the other for my birthday, and in Black an extremely unexpected Pokemon proved to be very awesome. Despite her double weakness to the annoyingly common Fire type, Ferrothorn was easily the strongest member of my party in Black. Her only real weakness being fire, she took hits amazingly well, with very few Pokemon even five levels higher than her being able to take her down to less than half health in a single move. Her move set of Hone Claws, Power Whip, Iron Head, and Poison Jab made her a force to be reckoned with, and her Iron Barbs ability, in combination with the hold item Rocky Helmet, meant that using a contact attack on her cost my opponents pretty heavily.

So who was your hero in Black and / or White?

Excadrill was amazing. Its insane Attack never let me down and it almost always moved first. It's great, but didn't make it onto my super-awesome team. Chandelure is approaching a place in my super-awesome team, but I have sinned and refused to use it during the Black storyline.

Last edited:
Depends on what I needed to do. Galvantula was really a godsend as far as capturing was concerned. But for battles, a different Pokémon really excelled. My Litwick was admittedly pretty weak at first. He could take out one or two 'mon on his own most of the time, no more. But after he evolved into a Lampent, and a Chandelure some time after... my enemies didn't stand a chance. Ghosts, Psychics and Brycen all became non-issues. Not just easy - they weren't an issue at all. Shadow Ball and Flame Burst were taking out some things that they were normally effective on in one hit - not to mention that it moved from usually striking last to almost consistently attacking first after it evolved. I can't express how much I recommend that guy - I had to stop using him so much so that the rest of my team could keep up. Now, Laresta and Samurott were really solid Pokémon, and Galvantula definitely played his part. It just surprised me how much of a powerhouse Chandelure was.

I'm gonna have to absolutely say Watchog. I didn't use my starter this time around, and Watchog was just like an awesome saving grace, somehow beating almost everything.

Cytokinisa the Reuniclus. She dominated everything with Psyshock and Energy Ball while beating the crap out of gym leaders (read: "Skyla") and generally owning. Heck, she pulled through and beat Ghetsis at incredible odds.

I have two, actually. Sawk and Golurk.

When I caught my very first Sawk during one of my first resets, he was neutral Natured but took out nearly my whole slagging team. I used him in the battle versus Lenora and he's now on my current save file of Black as a "guest of honor". My current Sawk, Tremblor is Brave Natured and has a great Attack. I found myself relying on him more often than my starter. Early on, if my back was against the wall, I'd bring him out and he'd get the win. No one could stop him.

As for Golurk, I admit I have a huge soft spot for the big guy, but when I started working with him I completely fell in love. Riser has been a giant help and can take out slag near anything that comes at him. His Attack is great and with his Ability (Iron Fist), Shadow Punch is a killer. He is my hero, always helpful and one of the anchors to my team. I adore him.

A tie for me between Reuniclus and Mienshao. Both got me out of quite a few sticky situations.

As for Golurk, I admit I have a huge soft spot for the big guy, but when I started working with him I completely fell in love. Riser has been a giant help and can take out slag near anything that comes at him. His Attack is great and with his Ability (Iron Fist), Shadow Punch is a killer. He is my hero, always helpful and one of the anchors to my team. I adore him.

I also had a Golurk on Black, and I was actually a little disapointed with him. That is, until I got to the Elite Four and Post Credits trainers. Using the same Iron Fist and Shadow Punch Combo as you, along with Earthquake, Hammer Arm, and Fly (I had no-one else who colud learn it on my team, but it's actually been pretty handy), Titan was an absolute beast.

Cytokinisa the Reuniclus. She dominated everything with Psyshock and Energy Ball while beating the crap out of gym leaders (read: "Skyla") and generally owning. Heck, she pulled through and beat Ghetsis at incredible odds.
A tie for me between Reuniclus

Again, I also had a Reuniclus on my White team. Mine had a pretty meh nature, but after using Calm Mind just once, Flubber usually ended up one shot-ing everything that didn't resist Psychic or Gyro Ball, and even if someone did lay a hit on him, he could always pick himself up again with Recover.

In my Black game, Musharna. She stood up to Ghetsis's Pokemon and absorbed hits. She has at a much lower level compared to Hydreigon, and couldn't hit it because of its Dark typing, but she absorbed its hits like a beast and trolled with Recover.

But my Cryogonal was good. Throughout the whole game, we was frankly terrible. But then we went up against Hydreigon and pulled off a victory.

Musharna on White- it's Hypnosis and ability to take hits made up for it's rather weak attacking and helped me keep the others in shape.

For the Black I'm playing, it's Scraggy. He's just so versatile.

My Krookodile always seemed to pull through when it counted, although the rest of the time it was on par with the rest.

Still saying Krookodile though.

I'm proud of all the monsters but my Lilligant is the one who really deserves the party MVP. Despite being having a pool of nothing but grass attacks, she was powerhouse on the field and pretty much plowed through anything with her raw power/drain/status ailment enduing attacks.

Because of Own Tempo she resists confusion and became even more of a monster via Petal Dance. She was also second to Serperior & Excadrill when it came to tanking. Surprised me how well she could take a hit esp when the above two trumped her level wise. It was because of her (and ALOT of healing items and planning due to an initial loss) that my under leveled party was able to take Cynthia.

An honorable mention to Meinshao. Despite having a glass jaw her power was nothing short of impressive when still standing. Can't help but think of her as pretty gutsy because of that.

Last edited:
Definitely Seismitoad. I caught him early in the game as a Tympole, and to be honest, he was really, awefully bad. But I kept training him, because I liked the little guy for some reason. He wasn't so bad as a Palpitoad, but I guess he could've been better. When he evolved into Seismitoad, though, he became an unstoppable beast. He could easily take out a few trainer all by himself. He soloed Ghetsis' Hydreigon with ease.

Carracosta. Takes hits like a boss, so he was especially useful whenever I wanted to catch Pokemon or heal Pokemon.

Emboar. Emboar. Emboar.

Awesome starter (especially compared to Fugleaf), plus he's got a snazzy fire beard.

Carracosta. Takes hits like a boss, so he was especially useful whenever I wanted to catch Pokemon or heal Pokemon.

I had one in Black, although mine was a little more disapointing than yours apparently. He was still pretty awesome, though I didn't use mine as a tank, rather I taught him Shell Smash and gave him a varied physical and special move set, which was actually very handy sometimes. After Shell Smash though, he could barely take hits at all, so I had to use it only when desperate. Couldn't have beaten Ghetsis without him though.

Darmanitan. He got me out of a lot of tough spots and he's a heavy hitter in every way. He was just what I needed to boost my teams attacking power. The only time he let me down was against Ghetsis and in that instant my whole team was nearly slaughtered.

In the early to mid game, my hero would be my Sawk, as I practically abused that thing to no end, seeing that it rapes those Plasma dipshits like they're poor, defenseless women. BTW, if you take offense to this, I don't mean to do that...

Come the final fight with Ghetsis, Mienshao succeeded where others have failed; took out four of his six Pokémon.

Other possible candidates:
- Excadrill, as it's another anit-poison type.
- Galvantula, as it immensely helped with the capturing of most legendary Pokémon.
- Serperior. Always needs me a grass type for those Water/Ground Pokémon. All those Palpitoads & Seismitoads melt before her, even Ghetsis'.

Galvantula: High speed with thunder and volt change Galvantula had the highest body count ingame. It even beats those Boldores and Gigiaths by breaking sturdy with volt change into the next mvp.

Ferrothorn: This thing takes hits like a planet and hits pretty hard it was weak at first as Ferroseed but upon lv 40 with power whip and gyro ball it became a living blender that tore apart Haxorus, most plasma grunts and half of N's team by itself.

Mienshao: High speed, High attack + Jump kick and U-turn = the rest of team plasma and gym leaders gone. This thing cleans up the remainders Galvantula and Ferrothorn leave behind it also one shotted Ghetsis' Hydreigon in the end in a crowning moment of awesome.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom