• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Then don't expect me to care for the setting if the devs seemingly don't need to care about the rules and internal consistency.
Everything still makes sense if you treat each individual game as its own continuity. That's probably the best way to look at it.

Gen 4's theme and worldbuilding was entirely pointless if they weren't going to care about the lore. It heavily depended on them caring for it to have worked in any capacity. This was the generation they  needed to considering they brought in Pokémon who defined the very nature of the series and embodied it all.

Then don't expect me to care for the setting if the devs seemingly don't need to care about the rules and internal consistency.
This is a similar problem in the FNAF fandom and my take on it is creators can bend the rules and have consistency or not have it at all. A good story or an engaging one doesn't have to follow rules. Having creativity or interesting ideas follow subjective and arbitrary rules is stifling. Creators should be able to use tropes, ideas, plotpoints however they want to create something engaging. That's my definition of a "good story". As for ORAS, it's amazing and I do like the idea of two pokemon timelines existing with everything that is a 3d game being it's own timeline away from the 2d games due to the battle gimmicks/mega evolution. Worldbuilding can be a valid reason to play pokemon (it's one of mine :D)

A good story or an engaging one doesn't have to follow rules.
Kind of does if you want the audience to actually care. If are you changing the rules and the consistency of your world like setting up something to work in a specific way only to change not five minutes later, it's really hard to engage with the story. You need to setup the rules of your world, no matter how ficticious or ridiculous they are compared to the real world, and respect them.

Having creativity or interesting ideas follow subjective and arbitrary rules is stifling.
It's the exact opposite, it's far more creative. You have to actually be creative and make things that goes along with the rules you made up for your world because you have to respect those rules. Coming up with stuff that contradicts what you setup is what people usually call bad writing.

And this is why i don't care for the Pokemon worldbuilding and lore, because if Gamefreak doesn't care, the creators of the series, why should i care? People, never care for something more than the creator themselves.

Last edited:
If are you changing the rules and the consistency of your world like setting up something to work in a specific way only to change not five minutes later, it's really hard to engage with the story.
What specifically are you referring to here?

What specifically are you referring to here?
I already mentioned Mega Evolution's origin being changed a game after its introduction (and a remake on top of it), and then there's legendaries lore being changed between games for really no reason.

The removal of the national dex actually benefits the modern Pokémon games as having 1000+ Pokémon in 1 game would be a lot for the modern games and make competing the natdex virtually impossible to do
The national dex removal would have been much easier to swallow if it actually led to more polish and content. Yeah., graphics are better, i guess, but not by much, but the perfomance has clearly gotten much worse and the texture pop-in and draw distance are ridiculous (the amount of stuff that just pop out of nowhere with hardly any time to react).

Also, the people wanting every pokemon to be in the game don't literally mean to have every pokemon available in the wild or through other similar means, they just wanted the pokemon to be in the code so that they can be transfered from older games. Now pokemon are basically in a hostage facility and it's up to Gamefreak to randomly pick who comes and who doesn't and some people hate that.

Also, the people wanting every pokemon to be in the game don't literally mean to have every pokemon available in the wild or through other similar means, they just wanted the pokemon to be in the code so that they can be transfered from older games.
It would still be a lot of work to do so.

IGN was justified in saying omega ruby and alpha sapphire had too much water. They're wording wasn't as of they just didn't like water. They said it negatively affected the pacing. IGN has made a lot of strange review scores, but this isn't one of those times

It would still be a lot of work to do so.
Carrying over pokemon with unchanged animations and design would hardly take much work. Also, Gamefreak themselves told everybody that the 3D models of the 3DS games were meant to be future-proofed, so what's the excuse here?

National dex removal and just the removal of having every pokemon in the game has led to literally nothing positive here. Don't know what people are attempting to argue because the results of this change aren't there. If anything the games are getting worse and worse in polish and content.

And last, i don't think there's anything wrong with wanting this from the highest grossing franchise in the world. People are defending this like it's some indie company with like 20 employees.

Last edited:
IGN was justified in saying omega ruby and alpha sapphire had too much water. They're wording wasn't as of they just didn't like water. They said it negatively affected the pacing. IGN has made a lot of strange review scores, but this isn't one of those times
Also complaining about the water routes was always one of the biggest complaints people had about the Hoenn games?

To this day, I genuinely don't understand why 'Too much water' became a meme other than people just trying to find a reason to dunk on IGN.

I already mentioned Mega Evolution's origin being changed a game after its introduction (and a remake on top of it),
I don't see this as a problem. You can read it as Kalos and Hoenn each having their own Mega Evolution origin myths. There are plenty of examples of this IRL. (Just look at how many cities claim to be the "true" birthplace of blues music)

Carrying over pokemon with unchanged animations and design would hardly take much work. Also, Gamefreak themselves told everybody that the 3D models of the 3DS games were meant to be future-proofed, so what's the excuse here?

As near as I know, I don't think futureproofing 3D models is even possible. IDK why they said this, it seems like it would've been a lie from the start, but no one should've expected Game Freak to accomplish this (even if it was possible I don't think Game Freak is talented enough to pull it off). Every time they improve the resolution, poly count, color palette, shading, you need to pretty much redo them from scratch. You can't just plop old models in a new game, it'll stick out like a sore thumb like SwSh's trees.

You can't just plop old models in a new game, it'll stick out like a sore thumb like SwSh's trees.
It's not a problem for Gamefreak if they thought the tree was acceptable. And let's not pretend it wasn't just the tree that had bad textures, and also not pretend that a lot of the old pokemon textures aren't literally just mostly the old ones. You honestly believe that they go to each individual pokemon that is being brought into a new generation and update their textures? I doubt it.
I don't see this as a problem.
Well, i do. Specially when it wasn't a myth in Kalos, it was a factual thing that happened.

Last edited:
Honestly ORAS did a lot to minimize the issue of water routes, by making surf encounter rates significantly lower than in RSE, giving access to various ride Pokémon to make it more interesting, and removing the mandatory surf RSE had from Route 104 to Slateport City. Personally I never found the water to be an issue in ORAS specifically especially since water routes can be easily blown through within a few minutes if you want to avoid most of the complications. ORAS getting blamed for water was confusing considering RSE never had its scores dropped due to its water, despite it forcing you to traverse water more frequently, the water routes having much higher wild encounter rates in them, and even having a bigger water to land ratio due to the lack of mirage islands and some secret base areas. It was many times worse in the originals overall and never got punished for it.

and removing the mandatory surf RSE had from Route 104 to Slateport City.
what mandatory surf from Route 104 to Slateport? Seriously, Rusturf Tunnel is right there. If you don't want to fight through the trainers and wild mons on the water routes, just head to Rustboro and then east to get to Mauville.

Of course, i never do that, as i want the experience from all the trainers on the water routes. Which just makes it annoying when the game teleports you to Mauville without a chance to say no.

Back
Top Bottom