• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

There's no shame in using legendary Pokemon, in single or multi player. The game allows you to, so why not? I like having the game's mascot on my team because I feel that it makes sense from a storytelling perspective. The NPCs that own legendary Pokemon (N, Team Rainbow Rocket, Hop, Mustard) always use them in battle, because why wouldn't they? I suspect that if the protagonists were NPCs, they would do the same.

I’m not sure it’s ever been a matter of feeling shameful so much as people thinking that the games are already easy, and not wanting to compound on that.

At least, that’s the reason why I didn’t use to use them - but I’ve grown a lot less strict these days. Part of that is due to the games making Legendary encounters more interesting: “Building” Zygarde in SM is kind of like raising a pseudo-Legendary. Nebby and Tapu Koko both have prominent and memorable roles that make me willing to consider saving a spot for them. Type: Null evolves by happiness which actively encourages you to use it and bond with it. And I rather like using Necrozma during the Rainbow Rocket storyline; using Ultra Burst against the RR Legendaries feels fair, and Necrozma getting to help save Alola (from a problem it partially caused) feels like it’s earning its redemption.

SwSh take this even further - I feel very connected to Zacian, Kubfu, and Calyrex every time I play, and usually want to use all of them on my team at some point.

Why those two specifically? What about the other Ultra Beasts?

It’s not arbitrary. Hau actually catches one of those two during the post-game story in USUM, but hands it off to the Ultra Recon Squad for research purposes.

Last edited:
I don't think Flygon or Yanmega should be Bug/Dragon type. The former is made more interesting for not being Bug-type, while the latter isn't draconic apart from a pun that only works in English.

Considering what it’s based on, there’s probably a stronger argument to be made for changing Flygon into a Ground/Bug-type rather than a Bug/Dragon-type, really.

Which wouldn’t even that bad, statistically speaking. Plus there’s currently only two Bug/Ground-types and they’re uhh... Nincada and Wormadam.

Not that I think Flygon needs changing, of course.

People complain A LOT about Flygon not being a Bug, or Charizard and Gyarados not being Dragons and many others mons not being the ''''correct'''' typing, while I do think everybody is allowed to their own opinions, I really disagree. Why, you may ask?

From a design pov, if everything that was reptilian in appearance could only be a dragon, or if anything that flies or looks like a bird could only be a flying-type, or if anything that is small, cute and ''girlish'' could only be a fairy... I mean, that would be pretty boring, and even limitating, wouldn't it?

Like, take a look at Salazzle: It's Fire/Poison, and it's design and origins really works out with it's typing. But if it was Fire/Dragon, or Poison/Dragon, it could REALLY work too, wouldn't it? But it isn't, and still looks like a very cool pokemon nevertheless.

My point being: It's okay for mons to not be the types they ''appear'' to be, cuz if everything was exactly what it seems... what would even be the point of creating a creature out of any concept? You wouldn't have variety and interesting designs that way.

People should stop expecting Pokemon to become a more "mature" or "difficult" RPG. It's clear that isn't the direction TPC wants to take the mainline series in, and it's always been a kid's series anyway.
I agree with you. It's a series aimed at kids. If you were making a game for kids, you won't be making it Dark Souls hard. You would make it easy and simple for them.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people want a quote unquote "mature" game in the first place. What's wrong with bright and fun?
I think it's because they think fun and light = easy and boring (which can be true). A game does not need to be hard to be fun. Perhaps there are people who don't want to play a hard game (like Dark Souls) because they don't find them fun. I wouldn't play Dark Souls. Looks like I would not have a fun time with it.

We have seen mature pokemon in gray and brown before. Colosseum and XD.

Yeah, what they want is death, blood and gore. They may like it, but others don't. I doubt parents would want their 10-year old kids playing such a game even if it's pokemon.

For what it's worth in regards to the "mature" discussion, the Pokémon games have had some surprisingly adult moments in the past. One that always comes to mind is the Kagetora quest in the S/M post-game. A middle aged man desperately chasing after the shadow of six legendary trainers from his youth. But as you track them down one by one, you realise that reality is harsh and they gave up their goals for one sad reason or another. Eventually you report back to Kagetora and he learns the value of letting go or something like that. I need to replay S/M.

Anyways, I forget what point I was trying to make. Variety is always good, and whilst a "gory" or somesuch Pokémon game is out of the question, I do think it might be worth trying out a more adult (or at least teenage) targeted game at least once. Lord knows we have enough naff spin-off games to last a lifetime, one more wouldn't hurt methinks.

Anyways, I forget what point I was trying to make. Variety is always good, and whilst a "gory" or somesuch Pokémon game is out of the question, I do think it might be worth trying out a more adult (or at least teenage) targeted game at least once. Lord knows we have enough naff spin-off games to last a lifetime, one more wouldn't hurt methinks.
That's the thing, Pokémon can work as a Teen game, since that woud give it balance between dark and light moments. Otherwise, I feel a dark game would be, uhm, against how I feel about the franchise.

Colosseum and XD aren't as dark as people "want", and Brown and Gray don't count because they are hacks, not official games.
I'm pretty sure he means "in grey and brown colors", in response to your earlier post:
I feel the same thing with "realistic" games, although that's because most devs think "realistic = brown or gray".

I hate the fact that most people think that games have to always be this ''dark, gritty, gorey mess of gray and brown devoid of any color''. Especially if they wanna talk about darker themes, or tell more ''mature'' stories. It IS possible to do that. But they think colorful and fun -> childish, and not only is that bad cuz dismisses a lot of great work, why exactly is a more lighthearted game a bad thing??

Back
Top Bottom