• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

I think some people are ignoring one of the real problems about Dexit. Some critics on the Internet was not all about "abortion of some amount Pokémon," but instead the statements rather being conflicting, since the producers claimed that they made a room for Dexit in order to make more expressive graphics for each individual Pokémon, only for the fans to end up getting same motions/movements for the Pokémon in these games, except this time in HD. Even the movements of Hau and Hop are revealed to be identical in a comparison video. I think that is one of the fair criticisms that I see online.

Personally speaking, Dexit never bothered me, because I have an unwritten rule on my gameplays. I never use Pokémon from older generations on my walkthrough, only make a team of the Pokémon belonging to the generation of the region. So I never truly complained about Dexit itself. But what genuinely bothered me was the statements not meeting any true expectations in the end. Blastoise was still unable to use water moves using its bazookas, just one example. Other Pokémon never had any individual expressive movement for specific moves either. There was no single difference between Pokémon movements from XY/SunMoon to Sword/Shield. I still would have bought the game no matter what, but the game producers making fool of fans was not really cool in my opinion.

I think some people are ignoring one of the real problems about Dexit. Some critics on the Internet was not all about "abortion of some amount Pokémon," but instead the statements rather being conflicting, since the producers claimed that they made a room for Dexit in order to make more expressive graphics for each individual Pokémon, only for the fans to end up getting same motions/movements for the Pokémon in these games, except this time in HD.

See, but that's kinda what I'm getting at. We don't know what exactly it takes to get even the extant animations - which certainly had a lot of work put into them and could be considered "high-quality" - ported onto the Switch successfully. It's obviously not as simple as just copying them over. So we can't really envision what a hypothetical scenario in which GF prioritized total integration of all species over quality and polish looks like, meaning it's easy to get the idea that what we're seeing is the bare minimum, when that may not really be the case at all. In other words, how do we know that, in an alternate timeline in which SwSh's developers forewent standards of quality in favor of having a complete roster, the game doesn't look like a total car crash compared to the one we got in reality?

Even without adding new animations (which also aren't the only kind of improvements they can make; there's also changes to existing animations and work done on the texture maps, thus raising another point - it could be that some quality improvements may be subtle to the point that we don't notice them at just a glance, or without a comparison image, or maybe it's something that would stick out a lot more noticeably, in a bad way, if it weren't there), they may very well still have a daunting task ahead of them in order to import a substantial amount of Pokémon into the game. Plus, my understanding is that the difference between development for SD and HD is no trivial thing, so that's going to add to the workload as well. Which again, all means that if time is the core issue, then maybe they should think about ways in which they could adjust their schedule in order to provide themselves with less-restrictive deadlines. Of course, even that idea isn't guaranteed to solve the problem, and might only delay it at best, because the ever-growing number of Pokémon is almost inevitably going to reach a threshold where it becomes prohibitively large and therefore unmanageable.

Even the movements of Hau and Hop are revealed to be identical in a comparison video. I think that is one of the fair criticisms that I see online.

That's like the only major instance of a unique character animation being reused, though. Hop still has a whole suite of animations that are specifically tailored to him. Why did they take that shortcut in that one particular scene? Who can say. Maybe it was composed earlier on in development or something, before some of the more unique animation assets for Hop had been made. Maybe someone was given a task to do, but was having a slow Tuesday and just thought "whatever" and threw it in. (Lord knows I've been there.) But regardless of the why, it's not indicative of any sort of trend in the game's design - it's pretty much a one-off oddity, so I think people who cite that particular instance as some miserable consequence of Dexit are kind of missing the mark.

Last edited:
Now, the real question is: what is the controversial opinion? Wanting for a Kalosian upper version to have happened, or being willing to understand why it didn't?

By far, I think the former is not a controversial opinion at all. However, I also think that a lot of people who wish that an upgraded Kalos game had been made do understand why it wasn't, but that knowledge isn't enough to cancel out their disappointment.

Want to see something crazy controversial?
The ORAS games are better than HG/SS

I can only speak anecdotally, discerning from trends that I've seen in some other circles, but I kinda feel like this is becoming less "controversial" (to the extent that it even is to start with; ORAS was by any conventional definition a success) as time goes by, which kind of makes sense. People who maybe played ORAS as their first or second game at, say, age 7, would be 14 today and thus may be becoming more interactive online, and therefore may be lending more positive feelings toward that game to the fandom sphere. And I think HGSS could also be more difficult to get into for a player who started with one of the newer games.

Last edited:
People who maybe played ORAS as their first or second game at, say, age 7, would be 14 today and thus may be becoming more interactive online, and therefore may be lending more positive feelings toward that game into the fandom sphere. And I think HGSS could also be more difficult to get into for a player who started with one of the newer games.
I can’t really argue with any of these points. I simply enjoy ORAS more. HG/SS, while being quite good, are a little off-putting to play from a modern Pokémon perspective, due to weird instances of level jumping, grinding, and a smaller variety of Pokemon lines to use than most other titles.

I can only speak anecdotally, speaking from trends that I've seen in some circles, but I kinda feel like this is becoming less "controversial" (to the extent that it even is to start with; ORAS was by any conventional definition a success) as time goes by, which kind of makes sense. People who maybe played ORAS as their first or second game at, say, age 7, would be 14 today and thus may be becoming more interactive online, and therefore may be lending more positive feelings toward that game into the fandom sphere. And I think HGSS could also be more difficult to get into for a player who started with one of the newer games.
Honestly? I won't get surprised in the slightest in a few years when the scripts flips around for SWSH and we see people praising it. I'm already starting to see the ''Gen 6 Renaissence'', as I like to call it, getting stronger by the day.

I'm already starting to see the ''Gen 6 Renaissence'', as I like to call it, getting stronger by the day.
Every week or so on the Pokémon forums on Reddit, there’s a post about Gen 6 praising it. Additionally, I keep getting recommendations on YouTube defending Gen 6.
It might be a year or two until it comes into full motion, but the Renaissance of Gen 6 will happen, like Gens 5 and 4.

Every week or so on the Pokémon forums on Reddit, there’s a post about Gen 6 praising it. Additionally, I keep getting recommendations on YouTube defending Gen 6.
It might be a year or two until it comes into full motion, but the Renaissance of Gen 6 will happen, like Gens 5 and 4.
Once BDSP drops and the hype dies a bit down after like, 4-6 months, Gen 5 will become the new Gen 4 and Gen 6 will be the new Gen 5. As in:

• Unova fans will relentlessly push for Gen 5 remakes for years.
  • Kalos fans will praise it to Hell and back and deem it ''the best gen.''

Then with will continue in a chain reaction withe every other gen, including gen 8. And I'm not saying like it's a bad thing, jst that is pretty much dead set on it happening like that.

Honestly? I won't get surprised in the slightest in a few years when the scripts flips around for SWSH and we see people praising it.
The ones who dislike something are always the ones who are the most vocal about it. People who are satisfied with something usually don't feel the need to take a megaphone and yell about it, demeaning everyone who disagrees with them.
Furthermore, an ongoing video game series always suffers from a persistent plague: the most recent entries are disliked, regardless of their merits. If they build on an existing formula that was well received, the accusations are #ItsTheSameNowItSucks. If they shake up the standard for the series and try something new, the outburst is #TheyChangedItNowItSucks. If the game doesn't make you break your controller out of frustration, there's outcry of #ItsEasySoItSucks. If the game can't be completed while you're multitasking, the complaint is #ItsHardSoItSucks. If they lack major female characters, they're #ChromosomeCasting. If it has major female characters, it belongs in the #GirlShowGhetto. If the developers strive to get the game out on schedule, it's #ChristmasRushed. If the developers prioritize making the game good even at cost of delays, it's in #DevelopmentHell. Previous entries in the series are hailed as what was done right, and the complaints about them are nowhere to be found. And as soon as a new entry comes out, the cycle repeats itself.
Pokémon is no exception. Generation V had a completely self-contained regional Pokédex with no Pokémon from previous regions until the post-game, and people complained that it lacked the appeal of Generation IV. Generation VI had a very subdued number of new Pokémon in favour of including more old ones and giving them new appeal, and there was protest that they didn't continue the trend of Generation V. Generation VII had single-shot empowerment and saved the long-term transformations for the post-game, and accusations flew that there should have been more of the transformations introduced in Generation VI.
Nintendo is aware of this. They've acknowledged it in regards to The Legend of Zelda, there's no reason to believe they're ignorant about any of their other franchises. Nothing anyone does is going to change that. Some entries take longer to be #VindicatedByHistory, and for the Pokémon series, there's no reason to believe that's going to happen for anything but the best of each Generation (Alpha knows Platinum improved on Diamond and Pearl by a span and a half). But it's GOING to happen, and anyone denying that is ignorant to the pattern.

I'm pretty sure it's not that controversial nowdays, but...

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon might have the best story out of any Pokémon game, but the gameplay aspect kills it. It's boring, confusing and way too slow for my taste. If only the playability of the series didn't sucked....

(Honestly, I have the same opinion for Rnager too)

I've heard great things about the storytelling in Mystery Dungeon, but I've never got far enough to appreciate it because the gameplay is so repetitive and dull. I'd quite like to watch the Mystery Dungeon anime specials sometime, assuming they're as good as the games story-wise.

I was enjoying Ranger until I got to the really gruelling bit with the Grimer and Muk in the sewers. I haven't picked it up since (but I really should, I want to find out if there's still a Manaphy egg on the cartridge!). I might prefer the second and third Ranger games which apparently made Pokemon easier to catch. I did try Shadows of Almia but got stuck right at the beginning because there was an item I couldn't find!

Because I'm so used to playing the core series Pokemon games, I sometimes find it hard to adjust to other styles of gameplay.

Pokemon Sword and Shield were great games. Though I'll say the DLC should have probably been in game as post game stuff from the get go... I still had a lot of fun with Shield. I still haven't managed to go through a single play through of Platinum, Black (and by extension, the sequel), and X version. So in my eyes SWSH are at least better than those games in the regard of being able to hold my attention long enough for me to beat the game. For whatever reason I just can't stick with Platinum or Black even though I've restarted them many times. Even Nuzlockes haven't kept my attention fully. The overworld exploration is so much nicer in SWSH because of the 3D. Oh, speaking of that. THE GAMES ARE BEAUTIFUL AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT TREE STRUCTURE WISE.

Leave that tree alone she did nothing to you she's wonderful. Ocarina of Time's trees were square tubes. Stop comparing them. They just need a nicer texture that's all.

I am extremely salty this morning jeeze I think I'll go back to bed in a bit.

Sword and Shield's graphics really are beautiful! I'm always taking screenshots because the scenery is so stunning. They might not be the best-looking Switch games but they deserve a lot more credit.

I think people only made a fuss about the trees because Game Freak cited graphical improvements as a reason for cutting Pokemon. If you look closely at the trees in the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra, they actually improved the textures quite a bit.

Last edited:
I'd quite like to watch the Mystery Dungeon anime specials sometime, assuming they're as good as the games story-wise.
I'm honestly not sure if this would actually be satisfactory, though, because the MD specials didn't even cover much, just a few bits and pieces, namely the introduction and (at least for Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky) the first part of the climactic arc. But that's really it.

Last edited:
I'm honestly not sure if this would actually be satisfactory, though, because the MD specials didn't even cover amuch, just a few bits and pieces, namely the introduction and (at least for Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky) the first part of the climactic arc. But that's really it.

Oh that's a shame, I was hoping they might have adapted a whole storyline! There's also a six-part manga series, maybe that would be better.

I was enjoying Ranger until I got to the really gruelling bit with the Grimer and Muk in the sewers. I haven't picked it up since (but I really should, I want to find out if there's still a Manaphy egg on the cartridge!).
If you're talking about the original Ranger, I can almost guarantee there is still a Manaphy Egg on the cartridge. If you bought the game new and not second-hand, and you never got past the Grimer mission, the Manaphy Egg is there. It is on there until it is sent to Sinnoh. And in order for it to be sent to Sinnoh, Ranger Net has to be unlocked, and that menu item stays there even after you start a new game. If Ranger Net is unlocked, and a New Game was started, I think the mission listing should still be accessible. If the "Recover the Precious Egg" mission is not on the list, the Manaphy Egg is still there. If the "Recover the Precious Egg" mission IS on the list, then "Check on the Egg" will be on the main Ranger Net screen if the Manaphy Egg is there. If not, you can't know for sure until you have beaten the game and can play the missions. If the mission is playable, then the Manaphy Egg is still there. (And if the mission is not playable, you cannot play the mission again; sorry.)

And if the Manaphy Egg is still there: are you willing to part with that cartridge? I will pay you for it.

I would be fine if there was only a trickle of new Pokémon, if any. Yes, it's a bit rich coming from me now that I've gotten my Galar fanservice, but recent games have demonstrated that there's a huge range of vibes and experiences you can create by being clever with the existing roster and rearranging them. New Snap doesn't have a full 'dex but is brilliant, and Arceus has thus far demonstrated that GameFreak are willing to mix it up with a reconfigured starter selection.

Not gonna lie, if having a living world of pokemon where the wild over world mons did more than walk in circle, react to protagonist when they enter their vision cone I would be fine with a restricted dex roster.

Man like imagine having following pokemon, camping, AND pokemon amie/refresh with unique pokemon behaviors for the area/other pokemon present/their opinion of you as their trainer. On top of a being able to say sneak up on a wild pokemon while it has stopped to get a drink from a stream or something.

If you're talking about the original Ranger, I can almost guarantee there is still a Manaphy Egg on the cartridge. If you bought the game new and not second-hand, and you never got past the Grimer mission, the Manaphy Egg is there. It is on there until it is sent to Sinnoh. And in order for it to be sent to Sinnoh, Ranger Net has to be unlocked, and that menu item stays there even after you start a new game. If Ranger Net is unlocked, and a New Game was started, I think the mission listing should still be accessible. If the "Recover the Precious Egg" mission is not on the list, the Manaphy Egg is still there. If the "Recover the Precious Egg" mission IS on the list, then "Check on the Egg" will be on the main Ranger Net screen if the Manaphy Egg is there. If not, you can't know for sure until you have beaten the game and can play the missions. If the mission is playable, then the Manaphy Egg is still there. (And if the mission is not playable, you cannot play the mission again; sorry.)

And if the Manaphy Egg is still there: are you willing to part with that cartridge? I will pay you for it.

Thanks for the info! It's a second-hand cartridge but the previous owner's save file was only about half way through the game, which makes me hopeful. I'm not sure where my cartridge is at the minute (my room is such a mess!) but I'll check the menu next time I boot it up.

If there is still an egg I don't think I could bring myself to part with it, sorry!

I personally think Eevee doesn't need gender differences whenever it's a secondary mascot or not. Although it does match up to Pikachu's, I find gender differences unnecessary for Eevee, since its evolved forms, even Sylveon, doesn't have a gender difference and that addition doesn't match the design language for Eevee, unlike Pikachu's (and normal Raichu's) which has been established since Gen 4.

I can get that Game Freak is trying to push it, but they should leave Eevee alone on that. If they ever want to, do that to all of its Eeveelutions instead, or altogether.

And another side note, I think Gigantamax Pokemon could need some gender differences if their base-forms that already had. Imagine a female Gigantamax Pikachu with an iconic giant glowing heart-shaped tail crop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom