• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

I think someone else mentioned this, but I feel this is kinda cyclical... I feel I will be there when people say Gen [insert number here] is bad and that Gen VIII was the peak.

Of course, that's assuming I don't disappear from here.
I remember when it was 1, when it was 2, when it was 3, when it was 4, now it's 5...

The realization we'll soon be in the stage where 6 is considered the best makes me feel so ancient.

•Gen 8>Gen 1 (I think all the gens are good, though)
•There are SO many Pokémon that seem like they should have Thick Fat, but don't (Stoutland, Greedent, Numel, Camerupt, Primarina, Granbull, Tauros, Bouffalant, Eiscue, Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon, Skuntank, Beartic, Cubchoo, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Ursaluna, Floatzel, Gogoat, Indeedee, Bewear, Pancham, Pangoro, Emboar, etc.)
•Most of the Gen 5 and 6 spinoffs are bad, or at least pretty mediocre
•Part of me liked using HM moves with my own Pokémon. I don't know, something about it just felt more... personal, I guess?
•While I liked the Gen 5 games and the Pokémon introduced in them, I don't really understand the praise the story gets. The constant talk of abstract concepts like truth and ideals felt like they were trying to make Pokémon more like Metal Gear or SMT, and I don't think those types of plots mesh well with a game whose core premise is "teach superpowered creatures how to beat up other superpowered creatures more effectively." Also, I have no idea where the "dream" theme came from, with my best guess being that, since Unova is based on part of America, that it has something to do with "the American dream"
•I like Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing just as much as Megas and Z-Moves
•I don't see Chairman Rose as a villain as much as I see him as someone who was just misguided and impatient, and that caused him to do something stupid
•I have no problem with bipedal starters and think it doesn't matter whether or not a starter becomes bipedal.

Last edited:
- I don't think BDSP are as bad as they're made out to be but we can weep for what could have been. Though I wish we could have had DP remakes done similarly to HGSS and ORAS but with SWSH/PLA graphics, I ultimately really enjoyed the games. They play well and they're fun. Also, the chibis are surprisingly expressive and they'll grow on you after sometime. The only part truly disappointing to me is the lack of Platinum content. (My memories of Platinum are vague but I remember the stuff with Looker, Giratina, and the Distortion World being pretty cool so imagine my disappointment when I discovered Giratina has been "demoted" to a static encounter in Turnback Cave.)

- The main reason Gen4 is (probably) so fondly remembered as "the best gen" is because of the amount of great spin-offs during that gen. When playing BDSP, I came to realization that part of what made Gen4 so magical were the spin-off titles like the Ranger games, Pokemon Ranch, Battle Colosseum, and PMDE T/D/S. (It also hit me that the plot in DP is awkwardly handled? When playing BDSP I remember thinking "huh--I don't remember DP's story being so choppy and WHY is Cyrus monologuing his whole plan to some random kid in the middle of a cave?? XD)

- I don't care about the Battle Frontier but for goodness sake please give me something to do besides the Battle Tower/its other equivalents because I can only do the same types of battles for so long

- Competitive battling takes the fun out of battling in Pokemon (I wouldn't complain except its hard to find people online without competitively bred/raised teams. I'd rather me and my opponents take our favorite pokemon or mons we think would be fun and go toe-to-toe with each other)
(I think my main issue with "competitive" pokemon is that it just feels like the same battles over and over. I don't know how many times I can fight the same teams of Landorus T and other common mons before I just get bored. Spice it up a bit--run some really wild teams and just get crazy with it, ya dig?)
(Disclaimer: I mean no offense to anyone who likes using Landorus T teams--if you like it, you do you!)

The battle tower is stupid, and the battle frontier is the battle tower with gimmicks. The real highlight of the postgame is postgame stories like XY's, SS's, and USUM's.

Pokemon needs it's own version of Tri. and Last Evolution. By this, I mean in the sense that it needs at some point some kind of acknowledgement that the pokemon of years past is different than pokemon now, or how it will be in the future. Also, we need grown-up Red and Blue.

On that note, give us some humanoid legendaries. Pokemon and it's infamous rival are so different in art style that they'd still be distinguishable. I say what starts this trend should be pokemon's takes on Chernobog and Byelobog.

The fact that there's less new pokemon aside from regional variants forces us to get creative with the old ones, and that is good. A China Region could use Xerneas as a nine-colored deer, or a slavic region could use Gardevior as a Vila.

Pokemon does better with a constricted open world A La Dishonored than a wide open world like TES.

On that note, Immersive sim rather than Sandbox elements would be cool to see.

We need the multiple rivals and stat trainers back. And we also need bond levels and sidequests with them.

If the protagonist is ever going to get voice acted, they should be a Geralt or Master Chief level one-liner machine.

Somebody should die of old age at some point in the game, and you should have to witness it.

A generally more JRPG like direction (in the sense that it's closer to anime JRPG's) would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Pokemon needs it's own version of Tri. and Last Evolution. By this, I mean in the sense that it needs at some point some kind of acknowledgement that the pokemon of years past is different than pokemon now, or how it will be in the future. Also, we need grown-up Red and Blue.
Tri would be a big maybe for me, but Last Evolution? That would be a big no for me. Plus there's the whole "happy ending override" they did on 02 and the whole "you stop having magic when you grow up" trope that is sincerely cynical and cliché. (Sorry, I just hate both tropes they pulled on LE).

Also, there is already grown-up Red and Blue.

On that note, give us some humanoid legendaries. Pokemon and it's infamous rival are so different in art style that they'd still be distinguishable. I say what starts this trend should be pokemon's takes on Chernobog and Byelobog.
What about the kami trio?

EDIT: Okay, this sounded hostile. Not gonna remove this since this is more or less my opinion, but I feel I should apologize for being rude and posting while sleep-deprived.

Last edited:
- The main reason Gen4 is (probably) so fondly remembered as "the best gen" is because of the amount of great spin-offs during that gen. When playing BDSP, I came to realization that part of what made Gen4 so magical were the spin-off titles like the Ranger games, Pokemon Ranch, Battle Colosseum, and PMDE T/D/S.
For me is because Platinum is such a well made game, not because of the spin-offs. In fact, i don't care for Gen 4 spin-offs beyond the Explorer games since i never cared for Battle Revolution (i never cared for the Stadium games either) and the Ranger games get kind of monotonous and tiring after a while (the stylus gameplay makes this worse). Never played Pokemon Ranch.

Gens 3-5 fanatics seem to have replaced Genwunners, rather.
the worst part is only one of those generations is actually good to begin with. gen 5 is amazing, but gen 4 is alright (aside from DP being the worst entries in the series), and gen 3 certainly exists i guess

i get not being happy with LGPE, sword and shield and BDSP, but gen 6 was pretty solid (aside from XY's story and characters) and managed to turn friggin' RS into something i enjoyed, gen 7 is my favorite generation in the series overall, and i feel like legends arceus is already one of the GOAT pokemon games. 3D pokemon had a rough spot in the beginning of the Switch era but the 3DS era was pretty great

Never understood the backlash against GSC/HGSS's dual-region, or the idea of dual-regions in general. I actually like how Johto actually interacts with Kanto.

Yes, there's the problem of the level curve being set artificially low and then suddenly jumps up when you get to Red. But that shouldn't be difficult to address. Scale each gym leader so that you reach Johto E4 at Lv 50-55. The levels for the Kanto Trainers, Lt Surge, Sabrina, Erika, Koga, and Misty could be low 60s. Levels for Silver in Mt Moon, Brock, and Blaine could be at high 60s. Blue, Elite 4 rematches, Mt Silver, and Cerulean Cave could have Pokemon levels at the the low to mid 70s. Just scale all the trainers and wild Pokemon (or at least those in St Silver and Cerulean Cave) more evenly and actually use the 60s and 70s as actual levels, and the problem is more or less solved.

There's also the fact that with the exception of BW2's White Tree/Black Tower (not sure about SM), you only really battle opponents' Pokemon that are up to I think Levels of roughly high 60s (and that's at most) in single-region games, and are arguably set artificially low anyway. BW1 is particularly notorious, as the level curve is such that there are a few Pokemon you most likely haven't fully evolved...which one of Ghetsis Pokemon somehow did despite being below the required evolution levels by 10!

As for Johtomons not appearing in Johto, again simple. Move some of those mons over to Johto.

It's one thing if you think dual-region are bad because they tend to overshadow the new region. It's another to say that dual-regions are bad because of whatever gameplay issues there is that isn't (or shouldn't be) inherently dependent on the concept.

Last edited:
I'll be completely honest and say that I will take Gen 3-5 fanatics over genwunners any day.
At least those have valid reasons to dislike the recent generations, ranging from extremely linear route design, reduced difficulty because of forced Exp. Share and affection mechanics, removal of features like Battle Frontier, underwhelming graphics, really bad pacing with constant cutscenes and dialogue (Sun and Moon is guilty of this to the extreme) and some stuff. Not to mention basic remakes that hardly address any of the issues of the games they are remaking.

A lot of Generation 1 fans just say later generations suck because there's a garbage bag pokemon and a keychain pokemon and don't mention anything else. I don't think that's a valid reason to completely dismiss entire generations because they don't like three pokemon lines.

@henrymidfields Considering the original plans for Kanto... I'll take all those problems over that.

Kanto really was a mess in the Spaceworld demo, to the point I felt I visited three different cities when I was exploring the map, only to realize later that I never left...

Adaman is better than... the other one. I'm sorry, I haven't forgotten her name out of malice I swear.

I just can't resist making a public enemy out of myself so here we go again, I have a bunch of them

• Legendary Pokemon are boring as hell and the franchise would be better off without them. They skew the game unfairly. Instead, they should introduce uncatchable enemies which are so creepy you wouldn't want them on your team. Yeah, basically bosses like aliens from BW2 movie studio
  • Completely open world is not very fun. Bigger areas to explore are good but being disoriented takes me out of the story personally. It just feels lonely, like a MMOrpg (hate them) but without even the people. I don't want Pokemon to turn into the Sims - do what you want, etc, I like Pokemon because it's a cute game which makes you feel like you live in a retro anime not for it's open world elements
  • Breeding and IVs and EVs are boring and should be either oversimplified, quickened and maybe even rid of. The same applies to crafting pokeblocks and whatever. To be frank, I never did anything from above. I am only interested in the thrill of fight.
  • The game should become slightly harder but not via above cryptic means but via level adjusting challenges so you can't cheat via overleveling
  • Enclosed gyms and trials like in Alola are both boring. Gyms should be placed in unusual locations and require real effort to navigate. They also should have floor damage (poison, burn, freeze etc) or at least weather conditions that influence the fights. As it stands, normal fight in a desert storm is often harder than a gym fight because gyms are too close to pokecenters and weather conditions make the fight harder

It's completely valid to create a whole team of legendaries and use them in online battles.

Back
Top Bottom