• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

it is nonsensical to divide pokemon games into generations post-national dex. There is nothing that ties the various "Gen 8" games together, or that ties LGPE to the gen 7 games.
False. Game Freak consistently connects games in a Gen through mechanics or characters. For example, LGPE has Mina and Alolan forms while Arceus has the Galar-native Laventon.

You do realize that there are a lot of moves at this point, right? Some are very similar to each other.
I do. But many removed moves define a certain flavor for a Pokémon. For instance, Spidops learns Block, even though it makes perfect sense for it to be learning the removed Spider Web instead. A few moves like Lucky Chant would have been very useful in competitive battles too, to deal with Urshifu and Meowscarada, for example.

Plus, it is not that Game Freak is not adding repetitive moves. Lunar Blessing is just another Jungle Healing; Shelter is just another Iron Defense; Take Heart is just another Calm Mind. And, I don't mind, because as I said, these moves, though repetitive, are derived from the characteristics of the Pokémon in question, and that makes them unique in that sense.

False. Game Freak consistently connects games in a Gen through mechanics or characters. For example, LGPE has Mina and Alolan forms while Arceus has the Galar-native Laventon.
but BDSP does not have galarian forms. also, most of the alolan forms are in SwSh and galarian meowth is in SV.

as for the characters, we see characters from old regions appear in newer games all the time. It's usually Kanto, but i'm pretty confident we've seen characters from other old regions as well. for example, Valerie is from Johto.

I think age does matter in this context, as while most of the protagonists in the series are assumed to be teenaged, I think it is implied they are under 16, so options to remove clothes would be problematic, especially in a series targetted towards kids.
The anime and mangas do it all the time, why not the games?

The anime and mangas do it all the time, why not the games?
I might be misinterpreting your comment, but I have a few guesses. For comics, well, you didn’t specify one, so in general, I’m sure all the comics have different target audiences and not the same ‘everyone’ audience the game does.

And for the show I just can’t answer because I’m personally out of touch with half of the generation’s worth of the show’s seasons.

As for a new contribution, I don’t get why the lake trio are all pure Psychic. Just, why? At least all the genies have different typings! But the lake trio are all pure Psychic and have similar designs? I mean, they look fairy inspired, so why not make one of them part Fairy? Or maybe make one of them part Water or something? I… just don’t get it.

I might be misinterpreting your comment, but I have a few guesses. For comics, well, you didn’t specify one, so in general, I’m sure all the comics have different target audiences and not the same ‘everyone’ audience the game does.

And for the show I just can’t answer because I’m personally out of touch with half of the generation’s worth of the show’s seasons.

As for a new contribution, I don’t get why the lake trio are all pure Psychic. Just, why? At least all the genies have different typings! But the lake trio are all pure Psychic and have similar designs? I mean, they look fairy inspired, so why not make one of them part Fairy? Or maybe make one of them part Water or something? I… just don’t get it.
well, none of them are part fairy because they are gen 4 mons and the fairy type was added in gen 6 (though i guess it could have been tacked on later). they should have gotten secondary typings though.

well, none of them are part fairy because they are gen 4 mons and the fairy type was added in gen 6 (though i guess it could have been tacked on later). they should have gotten secondary typings though.
Yeah, I think I’ve accepted the fact that retyping legendaries is a thing that’s probably never gonna happen.

Retyping legendaries is still a possibility through a form change though.

Game Freak seems to always (or at least commonly) put a prototype of a feature that'll be expanded upon in the following generation. For example, in X and Y, there were a few cases where you could ride a certain Pokémon within a certain area, which could be seen as a prelude of ride Pokémon in Sun and Moon. Soaring in ORAS could also have been a prototype experiment for replacing HMs.

Another example is the Wild Area in Sword and Shield: Game Freak was using it as a learning experience for what would later be expanded upon in Legends: Arceus and eventually turned into a full-fledged open world in Scarlet and Violet. Who knows, we could already have a prototype of something they're planning to play a bigger role in the next generation in front of us and we just aren't aware of it yet.

Game Freak seems to always (or at least commonly) put a prototype of a feature that'll be expanded upon in the following generation. For example, in X and Y, there were a few cases where you could ride a certain Pokémon within a certain area, which could be seen as a prelude of ride Pokémon in Sun and Moon. Soaring in ORAS could also have been a prototype experiment for replacing HMs.

Another example is the Wild Area in Sword and Shield: Game Freak was using it as a learning experience for what would later be expanded upon in Legends: Arceus and eventually turned into a full-fledged open world in Scarlet and Violet. Who knows, we could already have a prototype of something they're planning to play a bigger role in the next generation in front of us and we just aren't aware of it yet.
So, could Paradox Pokemon be a prototype for form changes that also change the name of the Pokemon perhaps? That would be a cool idea to me, and it would remove a barrier regarding Pokemon-naming conventions.

As someone who is a fan of Gen 6 and 7 I don't really care about Pokémon Z or XZ/YZ not existing. (nor have I ever)

I think ORAS were not just remakes of Ruby and Sapphire but the effective upper versions of X and Y, set in a different region. They significantly expanded on Kalos for remakes set in Hoenn and finished off the main lore XY tried to explain. They also had every Pokémon not in XY bar mythicals.

Zygarde's role in particular was able to be showcased in Sun and Moon. Probably in a better and more unique way than it would have if it had its own game in Kalos. I also see Gen 7 as direct sequels to Gen 6 for the many connections they have.

Additionally I'm glad Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were made instead to portray as one big finale of everything in the 3DS era and a celebration of what Pokémon was for the first 20 years. If these games were never made, this would have been missing. Yes one could argue it could have just been Sun/Moon DLC, but every single upper version was like this. Most of them were more egregiously similar to their previous installment and the pair that weren't (B2W2) had more significantly more egregious marketing tactics.

tl;dr: Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and Sun/Moon fulfilled everything relevant that Pokémon Z would've realistically done so I don't really care that Pokémon Z was never made.

Edit: A return to Kalos in the future is still something I'd welcome, w/e that is.

Last edited:
Because of how polarized the fanbase is, the gen x/2026/30th anniversary pokemon main series titles will inevitably attract more controversy than SV.

I don't see that as controversial, but that's because I'm kinda expecting it because, like you said, this is a pretty polarized fandom. The only thing I hope is that people on insert amount of sides will be more civil considering I have seen reports of people being harassed elsewhere because they dared to want SwSh.

I think Scarlet and Violet are great Pokémon games. The technical issues exist, yes, but they do not dampen my enjoyment of the games, and they're also being fixed. The characters are enjoyable, the story is good and handles some pretty dark themes for a Pokémon game, the new gimmick is shared more equally amongst every available Pokémon than any previous gimmick (only select few Pokémon could Mega Evolve or Gigantamax, and some Pokémon had signature Z-Moves as opposed to just the regular ones), and the Pokémon designs are very solid across the board.

With the exception of the bolded point, this is more or less how I feel. And I while I feel like Violet is a superior game, I gotta admit I'm struggling trying to enjoy Arceus, to the point I think it will be the one mainline game with only one playthrough. Sorry, but, almost all the changes there were for the worst (Bagins is now tied with Rowena of FFXIV as my most hated character, to put an example).

I would have liked it if it went in the same direction as the Alola or Galar games, because, seriously, exploring is the least fun thing in these games. Maybe I was too harsh on Gen I's Kanto and Kalos...

That's fair--non-random encounters are the least problematic for me. But the thing with random encounters is that if you don't want them, you can just use a repel (although it might be hard to afford enough repels in the early game, and of course, the Pokemon at the head of your party has to be stronger than the wild Pokemon in the area). With non-random encounters, at least how it's played out in SV, you have to make sure not to come into contact with a Pokemon, and this can be tough when some actively chase you (Leave me ALONE, Tauros!) and when some of them are so small, they're easy to miss (Scatterbug) or they like to blend into the landscape (GREAVARD). And if you don't have any Poke Dolls, this can get downright embarrassing if you accidentally wander into high-level-Pokemon territory and get knocked out because you can't run.

If they make Pokemon Legends into a series and keep up the action RPG elements, I think I might have to forego it, even if it's billed as "part of the main series." PLA was hard enough; I don't need any more of that kind of "fun."

A weird pattern I noticed regarding regions

• Regions of generations that make great changes to the gameplay are set in Latin Europe. Kalos was 3D, and Paldea is an Open World
  • Regions that belong to generations that end an era display subtle slavic influence. In Unova, Hydregion is literally a Zmey, Kyurem's reawakening riffs from the Tunguska event, Cheren's name is Bulgarian for black, Bianca's Japanese name is Russian for white. In Alola, Tsareena's name is literally just Tsarina distorted.
Therefore, if the hot-cold pattern holds, Gen X/2026/30th anniversary region could possibly be in central or eastern Europe. Candidates include Germany, austria and the west slavic lands (popularity of pokemon in those areas and Japanese tourism) or Romania and Croatia (tourism only).

Back
Top Bottom