• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Country & Your Style of Writing

Kyuuketsuki

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was just curious, does where you're from affect your style of writing?
I recently found out that the interactions between my characters are very similar to the interactions between people in my country. And being in the UK studying, I find it very different than the way UK-ers interact with each other. The way I tell a story is also similar to the way I was told stories when I way younger. It's just an interesting observation, what about you? Do you feel as if your style reflects the way your people (that sounded weird) interact and speak?

I can't tell you how many times people assumed I was British from the way I wrote... well, no, sorry, I'm an American. But I have definitely been influenced by people like J. K. Rowling (first books I ever took an active interest in, pretty much), Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, that sort of thing. So no, I do not betray my country from my style of writing; I actually make everyone think of a different country. XD

I'm American, and my favorite authors are David Eddings, Kurt Vonnegut, and R.A. Salvatore; all Americans. That makes me write in an extremely American style. In America.

keith.gif

I'm Canadian, but also Chinese. I'm not sure what style I write in, actually, as I never really bothered to find out.

I'm Korean-American. I'm pretty immersed in the American culture, so I think my writing style, especially the dialogue in my fics, reflects that.

If my country truly influenced my style, I'd be writing magic realism.

Which I don't.

That much...

However, as we could see in the "I Write Like" topic, as well as my personal anecdotes of being asked whether or not I'm British, we can conclude that J.K. Rowling has influenced my style a lot more than anything or anyone else.

I'm Korean-American. I'm pretty immersed in the American culture, so I think my writing style, especially the dialogue in my fics, reflects that.

Korean? Really?

Didn't get that impression. XD (I don't think you could tell I'm Chinese either, unless I told you. So no blame ^_^)

However, as we could see in the "I Write Like" topic, as well as my personal anecdotes of being asked whether or not I'm British, we can conclude that J.K. Rowling has influenced my style a lot more than anything or anyone else.

Eheheheheheh... :sweatlol:

I am Generation II Chinese-American but my writing style is very American (probably because I am illiterate in Chinese).

Yeah, I am not the best at reading/writing Korean either. I definitely think being American influences our writing style though. Although, I'm not sure we can be entirely aware of all the ways without being very very familiar with a different culture.

Hhmm, I'm second generation Indian/Sri Lankan-Australian, though I'm not quite sure if it affects my writing style. I am influenced by authors such as Robert Jordan, Terry Pratchet, Matthew Reily, Suzanne Collins, Brandon Sanderson, and perhaps to a lesser extent Tolkein and other forms of literary work like manga; though again I haven't the faintest as to how I write. That said, I'm hardly fluent at my native tongue, so my disfluency certainly doesn't come into play either.

Hhmm, I'm second generation Indian/Sri Lankan-Australian, though I'm not quite sure if it affects my writing style.

I'm also an Indian Australian and I'm also not very fluent at my native tongue, just like you man! INDIAN PRIDE WORLDWIDE!!!!!!!!!
rockon.gif
rockon.gif
rockon.gif
rockon.gif
rockon.gif

Well, it seems that I'm pretty much the only person in the Workshop who is actually British =P

I'm not sure what constitutes a "British writing style" though.

I know when I ran Are We Heroes? through the "I Write Like" thing I got Chuck Palanhiuk (author of Fight Club), who is American - so, for whatever that's worth... Although I think Rival's Story got a British author.

Yes, It does, When I write fics I want too write them like their set in America but because I don't know everywhere there I'm forced too write about dull England :nono:

Yes, It does, When I write fics I want too write them like their set in America but because I don't know everywhere there I'm forced too write about dull England :nono:

Whereabouts in England do you live?

I actually enjoy setting most of my stories in and around London.

Is it American culture you like? Is it because it seems exotic to you and thus exciting in comparison to that which you are used to?

I live in Yorkshire but I come from London so I know most places, I'd love too write in USA because it seems more 'Youthy' I can't describe it.

I live in Yorkshire but I come from London so I know most places, I'd love too write in USA because it seems more 'Youthy' I can't describe it.

Same as me. o_O I'm currently based in Yorkshire but I'm from London...

I guess I can see what you mean and you're certainly not alone in that. I do write things set in the US sometimes because US culture and the way things are done there lend themselves a little better to a particular plot. (eg. There was one thing I did about a SWAT team and things like that - it was important that they weren't easily identifiable as government agents, which the British equivalent is so I set that particular story in NY)

I mean like, In the States you don't have people acting so civilised + It ain't long.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom