• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your LEAST favorite Pokemon game

None of the Pokemon at the beginning are really fun/interesting to use.
That's the kicker. I bemoan the lack of diversity, but you could have an interesting game with the same size pokédex - as, indeed, Red and Blue did.

I had a nice-ish team on Diamond. Torterra, Golduck, Rampardos, Bronzong and Skuntank. All nice, but no sixth member! Lots of slightly rubbish bugs, lots of well-worn pokemon like Kadabra and Gyarados who are cool but we've all used a thousand times before. Very little that's fun and new.

I love Rampardos. I love both the fossils, actually. Bastiodon is so cool - I wish it was slightly better.

Diamond and Pearl, for sure. If you didn't start out with Chimchar, your only fire-type option to catch in the whole game was Ponyta. Freakin' Ponyta. Not that I'm a huge fire-type fan, but the fact that Game Freak didn't bother to add more of them when the Pokedex allowed for it is disappointing.

I just started replaying my copy of Diamond yesterday, and I'm already incredibly bored. I just can't seem to get into the story aspect of the game, and none of the Pokemon at the beginning are really fun/interesting to use. I'm trying to power through since I've never finished Diamond, but it's a grind.

Why don't you rather play the improved Platinum instead?

My least favorite has got to be Diamond and Pearl. I mean the gameplay speed was too slow, the Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex was just so little. There wasn't any decent Pokemon in it, it's such a chore playing this game as the slowness, variety of Pokemon, and the Cynthia being OP with her Lv. 66 Garchomp, it's safe to say these games should be skipped. Platinum at least fixed all of these issues.

I find the Kanto and Johto games to be a bit boring, but I do like them. I also found DP to be abysmal, but at least Platinum fixed most of the problems.

It's all been said before, but I'll say it again: Diamond and Pearl. I started with Piplup, so I got stuck with ruddy Ponyta as a fire type. Not to mention the fact that the storyline was weak-at-best. It was a copy of R/S/E's story, with all the interesting bits taken out. And don't even get me started on the bugs....

Thankfully, Platinum was a massive improvement all-around. It's really the only thing that salvages the Sinnoh games.

Pokemon Black2White2.

While it had great story, my main problem was that breeding was a post-game-only feature and I detest having to walk through long periods of grass without access to Poke Balls.

SoulSilver.

It could have been epic but it was simply a rehash of the original game, only prettied up a bit. To this day, I haven't finished the game at all; it's just sitting in a game case in my bedroom, doing nothing.

SoulSilver.

It could have been epic but it was simply a rehash of the original game, only prettied up a bit. To this day, I haven't finished the game at all; it's just sitting in a game case in my bedroom, doing nothing.

That's the point! You don't know what you're missing, it's not that bad.

Any of the games from 5th gen on (BW1, BW2, and XY) I don't really like as much because of the linear region design, the lack of key features such as trainer rematches and regional gadget apps, and because they nerfed the difficulty to the point where even a braindead monkey would find it too easy. But out of those three games, BW1 takes the cake because the regional design is especially terrible (the regional design is literally a straight line from start to finish with no backtracking and all of the gyms are one city apart), because they limited the regional dex to new Pokemon only, and because there was nothing that made up for what they removed in that game, they just stripped everything down for the sake of a "fresh start" feel that was unwarranted and rebooted the wrong aspects of the series. The only aspect of the series that they actually improved in that game was the storyline, and they threw those improvements out the window soon afterwards anyway. Within the context of the series as a whole, it was a giant step backwards for no reason.

Last edited:
For me, Diamond and Pearl would be my least favorites, for more or less the same reasons people have mentioned above. I think for me, the main issue is really just how slow the games are. I swear, it feels like it takes 5 minutes to fight someone with a team of 3 semi-decent mons, and good luck going anywhere that has random encounters without any repels. The variety of mons (or lack thereof) is also a pretty big issue, as mentioned above. The only good Fire type is Infernape, there are only three real options for Flying types (Staraptor, Honchkrow (which is Diamond exclusive), and Crobat (which is annoying as hell to raise)), and it feels like every other route has the same few evolution lines, namely Starly, Bidoof, Budew, Geodude, and occasionally Ponyta. And that's only scratching the surface...

I was never really fond of Ruby and Sapphire, only because I thought these games were rebooting the series as a whole. When those games came out, I didn't frequent Pokemon sites, much less look up information about data hacking. I didn't know many of the Pokemon that didn't appear in RS were actually in the game's data all along. I thought they just did away with them. To this day I hold that resentment, which I realize is petty considering we are now in Generation VI and I really should be getting over it. Will I get over it? Probably not. That really freaked the flying hell out of me since I thought my most favorite Pokemon were gone forever. Then FireRed and LeafGreen came out and pretty much reassured me the opposite of what I was thinking.

I felt the same as well. I don't think going about it that way was the right way to go about doing it, it added insult to the injury of not being able to transfer your 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon by then pretending that they didn't exist (I can only imagine how much worse it would've been if they had done it like 5th gen at that point and made it so only 3rd gen Pokemon could've been caught in RS, then I imagine 99.9999999999% of the fanbase would've quit). I think if they wanted to assure people that their favorite Pokemon are not gone, they should've done it more like every other Pokemon game and have some older ones catchable in post game, that would've been more of a relief.

Well... If I go for the technologic developments, I would say the game I liked the least was the Red (the 1st one ever).
But, in the other hand, it was also the version that brought my 3 favourite Pokemon (Mewtwo, Rapidash and Dragonair), and I must say, the game developers where more creative at that time creating different pokemon, than they are now.

You know how I said that Ranger and PMD 3 were my least favourite Pokémon games? Well, I think I've changed my mind. My new least favourtie Pokémon game ir Pokémon Rumble U. Why, you ask? Well, let me tell you. Firstly, let's start with the positves. There's a certian joy I get from playing one of the Pokémon Rumble games that can't be replicated in any other Pokémon game (so far,) the fact that they recycled some of the tracks from the origonal and Super Pokémon Rumble is pretty cool, SOME of the new music was good and a few of the new items were cool... That's about it, unfortunately...

COMMENCE ANGRY VIDEO GAME GARDEVOIR RANT!!!!!

Be warned, I use a variation of the F and S words a lot here.

Anyway, now for the bad: firstly, remember what I said about the music? Well A: it would kinda be good to be able to hear it once in a while insted of constant attack sound effects and B: most of the new music is terrible. Second, the camera is, quite frankly, shite compared to previous entries. Third, and possibly the second most annoying thing about this game for me, is half the time you can't see where the fook you are between the swarms of enemies that are in (almost) EVERY SINGLE STAGE and all the flashy attack animations. Forth, the fact that, unless you have four players, you have to do Every SINGLE STAGE with some of the stupidest AI teamates I've ever seen. Forth, if you're playing alone (like I did) and you die then all your teamates go down (and you can't take control of another one like i SPR's Team Battles, which is also annoying.) Fortunately, however, there is a continue option. UNfortunately, however, it can only be used once and it revives you right where you fell, meaning if you were surrounded by enemies at the point of death, they will just keep on mercilessly beating the life out of you until you are forced to go back to the begining fo the stage. Also, there is no sence of progression, seeing as each level is basicly a giant arena (I know there is a progress bar at the top, but do you want to watch that or do you want to watch out for an enemy or ten thousand?) Another thing that bothers me is that you can actually make the game rediculusly easy from the start until near the end; all you have to do is use the Password feature and BOOM! 1000-1700 Power 'mons right off the bat. Also, part way through the game, there is this one level that, when I cleared it's challenges, gave me a Tornadus with 2200 Power-that's stronger then the 'mons you get from the FOOKING FINAL LEVEL! And speeking of the final level... IT'S PLAIN FOOKING CHEEP! It is a perfect example of all the things wrong with the game; the attack sound effects prevent you from hearing the music, which is some of my favourite music from Super Pokémon Rumble BTW, and you have to attack a lot because there are THOUSANDS of enemies in this stage, with hundreds on-screen at a time, which A: your dumb teamates constantly run into, meaning they get themslelves killed and B: makes it nearly impossible to see where you are, and it dosen't help that it's pretty dark in this particular stage. Also it has the one thing that I find more annoying than being covered in enemies: THOSE F***ING CRYOGONAL. THEY are the true reason why this stage is so fooking cheep and are probably why I don't like this game at all. Why, you ask? Well, because their Ice Beam attack that they get in the latter half of the stage makes you pause for a second when it hits you, which is devestating when in swarms but is absolutely torturous when there's just two of them, one charging up a beam while the other fires at you, meaning you can't do jack shite and your fooking stupid AI teamates are off fighting a large swarm of enemies that they won't be done with for what seems like a half hour... That's all I have to say really... Oh, wait, one more issue I have with it: the "story" is near non-existant and hard to follow; you need to visit the offical site to know what the fook is going on, and even then it's hard to peice anything together. NOW I have nothing else to say, over to you next poster.

In terms of the mainstream games, i have to say B/W were the worst. This game went by WAY too fast for me, and even though there are a few Pokemon from this generation i really liked(heck, Genesect is my favorite legendary Pokemon), most of them are pretty bad, and this game probably has the worst designed Pokemon in the whole franchise. An ice cream cone? a trash bag? This generation is the biggest example of gamefreak running out of ideas for Pokemon designs. This game also has the worst ensemble cast of characters in the whole series, and though i liked the idea that Team Plasma wasn't after world domination like the previous teams were, they just weren't utilized very well. and the music in this game is absolutely terrrible.

Out of all the games though, my least favorite is definitely PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure. The game did look great on the Wii, but the game is way too easy and casual, and most if not all the minigames were not interesting at all. And the story is pretty ridiculous and childish.

In terms of the mainstream games, i have to say B/W were the worst. This game went by WAY too fast for me, and even though there are a few Pokemon from this generation i really liked(heck, Genesect is my favorite legendary Pokemon), most of them are pretty bad, and this game probably has the worst designed Pokemon in the whole franchise. An ice cream cone? a trash bag? This generation is the biggest example of gamefreak running out of ideas for Pokemon designs. This game also has the worst ensemble cast of characters in the whole series, and though i liked the idea that Team Plasma wasn't after world domination like the previous teams were, they just weren't utilized very well. and the music in this game is absolutely terrrible.

Weird... I thought fast gameplay was what the majority prefers. Also I think you are exaggerating... Generation V introduced 156 new Pokemon, the MOST out of all generations. The ones with bad design are those you mentioned, that's 5 Pokemon, but I would also add the Klink line, that's 8, meaning 148 Pokemon still have good design, so what did you say again? ;)
And please explain how does it have bad characters. It has more characterization than other generations. Also the music is generally considered the best in the series.

Weird... I thought fast gameplay was what the majority prefers.

Depends on your definition of "fast". I think he's referring to the lack of content and the streamlined region design, there wasn't a whole lot to explore in Unova and what little there was was just an occasional cave or forest. Aside from that, it was just get to the next area, no exploring, no backtracking, you're being railroaded the entire game.

Also I think you are exaggerating... Generation V introduced 156 new Pokemon, the MOST out of all generations. The ones with bad design are those you mentioned, that's 5 Pokemon, but I would also add the Klink line, that's 8, meaning 148 Pokemon still have good design, so what did you say again? ;)

I don't agree with the complaints about Pokemon based on objects, after all, they've been doing that since the very beginning. But 5th gen has a lot of Pokemon that are too much like older Pokemon to the point where I have to question their existence. Like Woobat and Roggenrola for instance, do we really need these things when we already have Zubat and Geodude? They couldn't have come up with anything else for the caves besides the same old bats and rocks? I could think

Sadly, a lot of 5th gen Pokemon seem like they're either just there to fill in for older Pokemon that they left out of the game or are too close to existing Pokemon to feel like worthwhile inclusions (Patrat, Pidove, Munna, Audino, Woobat, Roggenrola, Timburr, Tympole, Sewaddle, Maractus, Emolga, Frillish, Foongus, Klink, Bouffalant, and there's a few others like Purrloin, Throh, Sawk, Venipede, Petilil, Dwebble, Ducklett, Alomomola, Deerling, Ferroseed, and Mienfoo that make me raise eyebrows, that's about a third of the dex right there). I mean, if they wanted to do a fresh start, this is the wrong way to do it, it'd be fresh if they had lots of Pokemon that weren't like past gen Pokemon. Like, what if we had an earthworm Pokemon in the caves or a dolphin Pokemon in the sea routes? I don't buy that they're that low on ideas that they have to resort to recycling species for new Pokemon.

Last edited:
Aside from that, it was just get to the next area, no exploring, no backtracking, you're being railroaded the entire game.

Really? REALLY?! There is backtracking! Admittedly, there isn't much, but it's still there!

Aside from that, it was just get to the next area, no exploring, no backtracking, you're being railroaded the entire game.

Really? REALLY?! There is backtracking! Admittedly, there isn't much, but it's still there!

Oh right, there was that ONE part where you had to go back to Relic Castle after Dragonspiral Tower, but it's so brief and forgettable that I well... forgot it.

Regardless, the region design is nowhere near what it was in past regions, especially the good ones like Hoenn and Sinnoh.

I in fact enjoyed the linearity of Unova for a change, no more getting lost and annoying HMs

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom