• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Review?

rbogey

Typhlosion!
Reaction score
For those of you who have played Black and White, what would your review of it be? They have gotten 40/40 before, would you score it the same?

EDIT: Now that the international release is getting very close, this is no longer just for the Japanese games. Though, I guess I didn't specify just Japanese games in the first place... whatever. Put your review here.

Last edited:
Indeed I would. This game was Pokemon, yet it was fresh and added things the games haven't really ever done. It was a nice change.

There are genuine problems, such as how small Isshu is, how short and easy the adventure is, and the general lack of post-game content, but anything beyond that is merely nitpicks. Meanwhile, the Pokemon are amazing for the most part, the story is excellent, and the graphics are some of the best on the DS. Ultimately, I'd give these games a 9 out of 10.

These games gave the maturity Pokemon DESPERATELY needed. Not to mention the music is very different and less-Pokemon sounding and takes on the style of other popular video game series, such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Mother, The Legend of Zelda, and Final Fantasy. Some examples would be the Tower of the Heavens and N's Castle Bridge. I mean all this in a good way. :) 10 out of 10!

This game was amazing. It exceeded my expectations by far.

As of now, I'm more than sure that this might turn out be my favorite generation by these games alone. There are problems, as Life Alert mentioned, yes. The adventure is short. But despite that, I enjoyed every second of it, and I'm sure it'll be the same when I play the English version. So yes, I agree very much with Famitsu's 40/40.

I'm only part way through, but so far it has been incredible, and it sounds like I'm not even up to the best parts yet.

Pro
- the new pokes, lots of good ones to choose form.
- triple battle, more strategy is needed
- no more zubats and geodude

con
- new exp system
- no good place to grind pre-victory road.
- koromori is the new zubat
- the starter suck

I wouldn't have given it a 40/40 like in Japan. I'm sorry to say that although the games are fun to play, there are some annoying things that I cannot overlook. The lack of a VS Seeker or similar device automatically lowers their score IMO. The giant leap in the levels of trainer Pokemon post-Elite Four is also annoying and without a decent place to train, it's very difficult. The music isn't "moving", it's just decent. The thing I hate the most; not being able to find Pokemon by diving. What the heck was the point in giving us Dive again then? Quite confusing. I'd give them a 37/40 at best.

Dive was too allow us access to certain other items, give us backstory, and to clue us into RS3DS.

Also, you scored it down for being challenging? That hardly seems fair.

I love the new Exp point system too. Made me enjoy training especially Pokemon I just want to train to evolve. I have so many Pokemon in my dex as a result now.=)

Only complaint I have is mainly the Pokemon musical. It's very short lived compared to contests and pokeathlon and very limited. The music is okay and I like the extra music download (suspect there'll be more eventually to download) but other than that I wish I could do more in them.

Other than that the main game has been great.

I'm not in the mood to write a professional style review, so I'll just list my good points and bad points.

To work out an overall score, I'm going to start off with a base of 50, and add 10 for every good point, and deduct 5 for every bad point.

Good Points:
- The fresh feeling, like Generation I.
- GameFreak admitted that they made these games with the older fans in mind, and it really shows. Sure, the region was designed to be easier for younger fans to navigate, but the Pokémon designs are definitely for a more mature audience.
- The storyline. It is far more focused, and unlike other games, you get a sense of achievement when you see the credits roll.
- The music. Undeniably the best of the franchise. The credit music is so amazing, you have to be playing your DS and see them to truly see its beauty. Another piece that gets my kudos is the White Soryu City theme.
- The graphics. Have you been on the Royal Isshu?!
- Hints that GameFreak care about the metagame. Examples include the removal of TM Stealth Rock (Need I say more?) and TM Dragon Pulse (At the London Gamerbase Tournament on Saturday, it was spammed by everything dragon-type). However, we now have Blaziken with Speed Boost, which will help it get a one-up over Infernape.
- Rotation Battles. They are incredibly fun. Triple Battles are a nice touch too, although, they are too similar to Double Battles.
- The vast Post-game. People say there isn't enough, but there's a whole new half of Isshu to explore, and there's the Elite 4 rematch, which is really difficult!. Also, Battle Subway?
- Far less water routes than previous generations. This was seriously a great thing, as the region was no longer flooded with water Pokémon.
- The new EXP system. This made it really easy to add a new team member Post-E4 (Sazandra =3), and helps levelling the younger ones. However, it hinders levelling the older one.

Bad Points:
- The Gyms and Elite 4 (first time) are far too easy.
- Inability to transfer items from previous generations.
- The countless Global Link problems, and the dependency on Wi-Fi to use it (Especially as those without it will lose out on things like Speed Boost Blaziken).
- The Isshu Region is far too small. I remember PokéBeach saying that Huin City is huge, when in actually, it's very small - it just takes up more map space due to being 3D, than say, Jubliffe.
- Not that many seasonal differences in Spring, Summer and Autumn (are there any between Summer and Autumn, apart from the aesthetic?)
- A THIRD Fire/Fighting starter. I love all the starter designs, but that typing really annoyed me.

Overall, I give the game a score of 120, out of a potential 150 (The sum of 50 + 10 for each good point was 150), which gives a percentage of 80%.

This may not look astounding from first glance, but these games are probably the best Pokémon games yet. The biggest let down though, has to be Isshu itself. The 3D effects are lovely, but the region feels so...small.

How is that a con? I love the new exp system!

because it is a hassel to train the high lvl pokes. It is especially difficult to train them after lvl 40.

if you don't believed me try leveling a Monozu into a Sazandra before facing the E4.

Why would you? Then your incredibly overpowered. It evolves at 69 remember?

Hmm...well, I don't understand all the stuff I've seen about "deconstructing" the series and stuff, nor do I understand exactly how the new Pokemon are somehow made for older fans in mind, all that seems like stuff people have been throwing around without actually explaining what they mean, and I'm kind of disappointed by the lack of a solid "mini-game", like Contests or Pokeathalon, safari zone, cycle road, game corner, as well as an interesting "bottom screen application" that doesn't depend on connecting with other players...so, yeah, I kind of feel the game plays too straight-forward for my liking but, I have to say, it does a pretty good job at having an interesting straight-forward story mode at least.

I also like most of the new Pokemon and the fact they brought back all the old evolution methods such as happiness, trading, and the Elemental Stones (even the new DP ones!), the idea to have only new ones available turned out to be pretty neat and there is decent variety, although I wouldn't mind the 3rd game expanding the Dex with a few old ones who don't have any exact counterparts (mainly so we can have more Ice Pokemon and Poison Pokemon!). The characters also seem interesting, from what I know of them, and the graphics, music, and feel of the game sometimes is a bit unexpected for the series, such as the way the E4 area is set up, but in a good surprising way.

The new sprites are really cool...for the Isshu Pokemon. None of the old ones have really stood out, but the Isshu Pokemon, on the other hand, are bursting out with life. Zuruggu and Dageki are two of my favorites so far.

The new EXP system also encouraged me to go through the game without focusing on grinding, and I found they pace out the main game quite well. Even with the huge jump in levels post-E4, my team was strong enough they could take on the higher level Pokemon and get a large EXP increase so training doesn't seem that difficult.

On the note of Isshu, I also feel that it seems very random and disorganized...like the region doesn't seem to mash that well, as it seems like they focused mostly on Hiun and spent less time on the other towns, and it's a very weird region to travel. Like, forest, big city, desert, forest, moor, giant castle...I don't know, I felt the previous regions could exist in the real world, and I liked how they were based off real world locations and were pretty accurate in some regards, but really, I don't get that out of Isshu. It just seems like a mish-mash of locations and I can't say I'm that thrilled with it, as a whole, even though I like the individual locations, especially as they could've done a bit more using New York as a base. The only NY-stuff I really get out of it is Hiun and Raimon. They don't have to be perfectly accurate, but it probably is behind Johto = Sinnoh, and Hoenn for me, maybe a bit over Kanto as it has more variety.

So, yeah, probably an 8/10. Oddly enough, I want to feel disappointed by how lacking it seems at times, yet it definitely has charm. I'll probably find it better when the English version comes out.

Why would you? Then your incredibly overpowered. It evolves at 69 remember?

thats the point :ksmile:

i didn't manage to evovle a sazandra, i got it as far as jihedra. Althought when i face Geechisu and his Sazandra a voice in my head was telling me, you should grind it to a Sazandra.

and it evolve at 64.

when the eng ver is rls i plan to start a all dragon team :p

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom