• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your thoughts so far on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2?

My thoughts:

* The story is stellar. 500% better than the first game. The monster plot twist actually surprised me. That doesn't happen very often. Also, don't forget to talk to all the townspeople and shopkeepers after every chapter. If you don't, you're missing a lot of content!

* Looks like Pokemon don't get individual lines of text anymore, but they're seperated into "attitude" categories which draw random quotes from a pool. I can't say I have any complaints.

* The recruitment enhancements are awesome. "Recruit with 4 Members" is a huge improvement. The only thing still missing, I think, is an option to send home someone in your party in place of someone you just recruited. Also, I like how you can have a party of 4 from the beginning, instead of having almost every dungeon limiting you to 3.

* The "Sliding" visual anomoly wasn't fixed. Unfortunate. :(

* Inventory improvements were very nice, although I still want a "Store All" button.

* Absol has a very high catch rate... a reference to the first game, perhaps?

* Best music in the game so far is Blizzard Island. :)

My least favorite part of the first game was, after an emotional seperation and reunion of the main character and partner, the partner promptly becomes nothing more than just another team member and even stops following you everywhere. I'm glad they "fixed" that in this game. :D

* Wonder Mail still rules. (BTW, if anyone finds a WM for recruiting Scyther or a Bullet Seed TM, let me know... Those things are just about impossible to get.)

... I wish PMD 2 will be nicer than PMD 1, although I finish Red (got Celebi too). I drastically want it, and can someone help me in how to get other games in R4DS?

I love to be Piplup.

Gah! I hate Brine Cave! Stupid Kabutops and Omastar...poor me being a Fire-Type...stupid Staryu for causing me to use my only Reviver Seed before the boss fight...

I think I might end up pulling out and teach myself Dig...it might give me a fighting chance.

I have Pikachu as my partner. A couple well placed Discharges took them out really fast. One Discharge took took out Omastar.

I have Pikachu as my partner. A couple well placed Discharges took them out really fast. One Discharge took took out Omastar.

It's too bad you can't bring along other Pokemon the first time, otherwise I'd pull out Pachirisu or Budew and see if they could help.

My poor Piplup partner...he tries, but his attacks do hardly any damage against those three.

this game gives me a 6/10 satisfaction. My biggest annoyance is the small font, pressing "A" all the time just for stories, and lastly not being able to skip through the reocurring parts such as eating, and waking up.

Quick question on the wonder mail. When can you start doing the mission involving the musical recruitment items? I'm trying to do the Groudon Terra cymbol one, but it says I'm not ready yet, even though the clouds have cleared over the area and i'm at chapter 12.

Special Missions and How To Evolve Starters (spoilers)

Quick question on the wonder mail. When can you start doing the mission involving the musical recruitment items? I'm trying to do the Groudon Terra cymbol one, but it says I'm not ready yet, even though the clouds have cleared over the area and i'm at chapter 12.

Then you're way too early for it. You pretty much have to beat the main storyline. I'll tell you what you have to do, but I'm going to spoiler it in case people don't want anything revealed:

After the main story, you should eventually come across a Mr. Mime in Treasure Town near the Kecleon Shop. He'll tell you about a legendary explorer that went missing a decade ago. A new dungeon will become available to you at this point.

At the end of it all, you'll find him, but you'll have to fight a Pokemon before you can release him. Back at Treasure Town, he'll thank you and give you a Secret Rank mark (a star beside your regular rank) which will allow you to take on those special missions.

If you're only at Chapter 12, you'd probably have a tough time with the Pokemon on those missions, anyways. They are kind of tough. Make sure you're leveled up before taking them on so it'll be easy (or easier).

Also, some people seem to be curious as to when your starters can evolve. I've seen some answers, but they don't give all of the information. ;) I'll give a spoiler for that, too.

Even after unlocking Luminous Spring, you can't evolve, right? After beating Darkrai, it even says that you still can't evolve (although your other teammates still can). Why is this?

You must go back to Spacial Rift and Temporal Tower and recruit Palkia and Dialga. Do a few missions, and Manaphy should come back. Manaphy wants to join your team! After joining, Manaphy will tell you about a dungeon, which will unlock Marine Resort. After completing this dungeon, you and your partner will be allowed to evolve at Luminous Spring.

Last edited:
I only got it recently but I'm so far enjoying it.

My only complaint is:

1.) Saving time is freakishly long

I've had it for a little more than a week, and I've already become addicted to it. Being a Meowth sucks, there aren't enough non-Normal type moves it car learn. I'm currently on Temporal Tower, right in the middle. I love Reviver Seeds, and I don't think I could go though the game without them. I HATE, though, Monster Houses. The only move I've got that can damage entire rooms is Vacuum Cut, which is terribly weak. Also, there are WAY too many rock/steel type Pokemon, although I"ve probably only noticed this because I'm a Meowth.
The plot is nice, and it almost surprised me, but I suspected Dusknoir, ans supported Grovyle, fromt he beginning.

I still hate those monster houses, but I love those spurn orbs. You can warp them all away and take them on one at a time later.

Just wondering, what kind of special items, besides species-exclusive, have you got in treasure chests. Right now I've got some lost loot, a sun stone, and a golden seed (5-level boost!(=D) from those chests. Sorry if i'm being a little too curious about this.

I just got this on Friday. It's basically restored my love for Pokemon entirely. I realized what I hate about Pokemon. THE FRAKKING HUMANS.
Sure, there are odd kinks in Mystery Dungeon, like the item system, FRAKKING MONSTER HOUSES, and ridiculously long save times. But I love the plot, and that most of my recruited Pokemon are NOT crappy, especially my badarse Wooper.
I started as Totodile with Cyndaquil as my partner. Ice Fang is godly.

I started as Totodile with Cyndaquil as my partner. Ice Fang is godly.

Giving Totodile the moves they gave it for 4th gen was one of their waaaay better ideas, with such a variety of moves without TM need. Slash, Aqua tail, Ice fang, Crunch, and Superpower just to name a few. God, Totodile makes, and is, one great partner/character.

On the Wonder Mail password entry, it doesn't let me select any of the letters/numbers in red. How do you get them to be useable?

I beat the game last Wednesday...oh, man. The ending is so much more emotional that the ending from the first game.

Just finished the Miracle Sea mission, and prepping for the Aegis Cave mission.

Does anyone have the Wondermail Passwords for these dungeons?:

Serenity River
Landslide Cave
Lush Prairie
Tiny Meadow
Oran Forest

I get jobs for the post-game ??? dungeons, but not the ones I mentioned above. If anyone can tell me what they are, I'd be very grateful.

Last edited:
How do you use the Enigma part to make the legendaries appear? Do you have to hold it or just have it in your bag? Also, will it be like the 3 beings with their own battle or will they roam the floor?

Okay, I just got through the main story line (just a bit past the credits) and have to say the story was great.

I tried playing with several different pokemon and have to agree Monster Houses are annoying with most characters. I found it to not be that bad as a Cyndaquil, spamming Lava Plume seems to work fairly well unless most of the stuff resists it. (The combination of linked Smokescreen + Lava Plume, Quick Attack, and Flamethrower has made me like Cyndaquil the best of the ones I've tried)

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom