• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your unpopular music/film/tv opinons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get Mark Wahlberg's appeal, and I don't think he's a good actor.

Frozen is the lamest thing crapped out in this age so far and I don't see the appeal, nor do I want to hear anymore references to that one song.

Even buying Frozen stuff for my two year-old was horribly painful.

Some others:
- Moe is disgusting garbage. (Hopefully no one finds it weird that a male anime fan would hate moe so much.)
- Johnny Test isn't the worst cartoon ever. (Not that I'm defending it...it's mediocre, but there's much worse out there.)
- Band Aid 30 is not sincere and it's just an excuse for Bob Geldof make more money. I have a deep-seated hatred for Band Aid in general.
- Posh British male characters are bland and unappealing - especially Benedict Cumberbatch. (No offence to anyone from the UK!)
- Lorde is not talented. (And no, I don't hate her just because she's popular.)
- Twilight haters are more annoying than Twilight fans.
- The Lion King is one of Disney's more boring films.
- Planes wasn't that bad. (It wasn't great, but at least I liked it better than Tangled.)
- Rita Ora is a no-talent clown.

Here's some I just thought of.

I don't find all of the later Spongebob seasons nearly as bad as most people claim. I'm not saying all of them are fabulous, but I think there's some good in all of them. I honestly feel like season 9 is where it's just starting to have a majority of crappy episodes.
I'm not on the Frozen hype train. Never saw the appeal and still don't.
I used to watch Family Guy a lot, but recently stopped. A majority of their so called "jokes" are ridiculously offensive and stupid and I can't stand Peter and especially Brian for the life of me anymore.
I don't care much for modern rap.
A majority of Dreamworks movies are pretty lame.
Not sure how popular or unpopular this is, but I think Green Acres is one of the best shows ever made.

Shipping wars are a complete waste of time and ruins everything for everyone.

Lady Gaga and Britney stans ruined Christina Aguilera's album sales. Bionic was epic.

Battle Royale is better than The Hunger Games.

Black Eyed Peas' first album was great, but everything after that wasn't half was good. Karma is their greatest track.

Calvin Harris has far too much of an impact on pop - every song churned out by your favourite mega pop sensation is a clone of Rihanna & Calvin's We Found Love. That song is actually pretty great, but the problem is that every top 40 producer latched on to the style of it and now all we hear is WFL clones.

- I wish for the day when classical music makes a huge and permanent comeback and we all go see the [insert city name] Symphony.
- I also wish for the day when we all start swinging to Jazz like our grandparents did.
- Justin Bieber fails to entertain me. Similarly, Taylor Swift.
- I absolutely hate "My Heart Will Go On". Thank goodness they're not as frequently played.
- I like Oliver and Company and Mulan more than Beauty and the Beast, or Lion King.

- I think most of J-Pop is either just as bad, or even worse than American pop.
- Japanese Enka, on the other hand, I'm happy to listen to.
- Most of Chibi-maruko-chan and Sazae-san are boring.
- Crayon-Shin-chan may be vulgar, but every now and then, there are some deep stories that make me wonder if they are ripped off from the original manga author's life.
- Never got around to Naruto and/or Dragon Ball.

- I wish for the day when classical music makes a huge and permanent comeback and we all go see the [insert city name] Symphony.
- I also wish for the day when we all start swinging to Jazz like our grandparents did.

You know those still exist right?

The Beatles aren't as amazing as everyone claims they are. Some of the songs are okay (particularly the ones that sound like they were written when they were high), but they aren't exceptional.

The original Star Wars trilogy is not superior in every way to the sequel trilogy. I'll admire the remarkable special effects of IV (especially considering its budget) and the overall charm of the original trilogy, but the sequels had some beautiful fight scenes and worlds (and sneaky villain plot) that the originals did not have. So stop bashing them.

Mainstream rap makes my ears bleed. I can hardly make out any intelligible words in that noise, and what I can understand usually is a load of filthy language and boasting.

You know those still exist right?

I meant a massive popularity comeback. I don't remember classics music being much celebrity news material as much. Heck, there was even one time during last year when the Australian Chamber Orchestra won the Grammy in their classics music CD, and most of the Australian media were mourning that none of their country's artists won the Grammy - completely oblivious to the ACO winning! Even the Prime Minister ignored it!

The problem with modern classical is that far too much of it is unlistenable, seemingly random sounds and it just doesn't sound interesting to many people. How many 18 year olds are dying to see La Monte Young perform a 6 hour atonal piece? Not many. Classical is very much a genre that's closed to off to much of the public because the public are put off by its antiquity, or up-their-own-arse attitude of fans. Or maybe people have moved from orchestrated sounds, and just simply prefer whatever the radio offers.

Classical music will never die, there will always be the passion, but its time has moved on. Its no longer representative of what the general public considers proper music. We can't expect a generation brought up on mass-appeal pop to want to go out and purchase some Wagner. It's alien.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Do you really want every concert to just play recognisable pop hits in a classical context? It's fine now and then, but if the greater public demanded it, that need would be met.

Wall E was fantastic.
Yes. Yes it was. And quite possibly the most romantic movie I've seen since... EVER.

A couple more:

-The current Simpsons is not all that bad. I've seen a couple of eps and honestly, the writing seems the same to me.
-I like Lisa Simpson. She's my favorite character on the show. I despise Bart and Homer with a passion.
-I hate country music. Always have and always will. I can only stomach Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson (and Johnny Cash but I have no idea if he counts or not). If the song isn't from any of them, I will turn off the radio.

Mainstream rap makes my ears bleed. I can hardly make out any intelligible words in that noise, and what I can understand usually is a load of filthy language and boasting.

Generalize and stereotype much? A lot of rap music have decent messages, it is generally a story about their lives and not really fair to assume it is a load of dribble and unintelligent music. I mean you could assume that of any vocalized music.

Generalize and stereotype much? A lot of rap music have decent messages, it is generally a story about their lives and not really fair to assume it is a load of dribble and unintelligent music. I mean you could assume that of any vocalized music.

Absolutely. Hip Hop gets a bad rap (lol) from naysayers about the lyrical content, tarring all rappers with same brush.

Here's an example of fantastic lyrics by Cannibal Ox in the song Iron Galaxy:

And if there's crack in a basement
Crack heads stand adjacent
Anger displacement
Two step arangements
You were a still born baby
Mother didn't want you, but you were still born
Boy meets world, of course his pops is gone
What you figga
That chalky outline on the ground is a father figure
So he steps to the next stencil, that's a hustler
Infested with money and diamond cluster
Lets talk in laymen terms
Rotten apples and big worms
Early birds and poachers
New York is evil at it's core, so those who have more than them
Prepare to be vic-tims
Ate up by vultures, the politicians
In a dog eat dog culture, that'll sick 'em

-Newer South Park seasons don't suck
-Newer Pokemon seasons don't suck
-The Walking Dead is boring

I posted this in the movie review thread, but I think Guardians of the Galaxy is a bad movie. (I don't know how much more unpopular you could get).

The problem with modern classical is that far too much of it is unlistenable, seemingly random sounds and it just doesn't sound interesting to many people. How many 18 year olds are dying to see La Monte Young perform a 6 hour atonal piece? Not many. Classical is very much a genre that's closed to off to much of the public because the public are put off by its antiquity, or up-their-own-arse attitude of fans. Or maybe people have moved from orchestrated sounds, and just simply prefer whatever the radio offers.

Classical music will never die, there will always be the passion, but its time has moved on. Its no longer representative of what the general public considers proper music. We can't expect a generation brought up on mass-appeal pop to want to go out and purchase some Wagner. It's alien.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Do you really want every concert to just play recognisable pop hits in a classical context? It's fine now and then, but if the greater public demanded it, that need would be met.

You should check out this great little blog post I found a while ago. It's basically a musing on the nature of modern classical music and why it'll probably never be popular because it's competing against the 'greats' as contemporaries.
Should we stop playing Beethoven? « Simon Bielman | Pianist, Composer Blog

The Beatles aren't as amazing as everyone claims they are. Some of the songs are okay (particularly the ones that sound like they were written when they were high), but they aren't exceptional.

That's pretty much my opinion on them, word for word!

- I don't like Harry Potter, Twilight, or The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings.

- I also don't like horror/occult stuff.

- To me, heavy metal/punk rock, anything that most "emos" listen to is really depressing. I've been through depression myself, and it ain't fun. And I also don't like any songs with vulgar/rude stuff in them. Why do people find depressing/morbid/vulgar stuff fascinating?

- Not a fan of Quentin Tarantino or Seth McFarlane. I'm sorry, but I don't find gory violence and making fun of people's race, ethnicity, political views, and religion the least bit funny.

- Also, not a fan of adult cartoons(Simpsons, South Park, ect.) or most anime.

- I don't like reading the comics, but I like to watch cartoons and tv shows based on DC and Marvel properties. Even though I don't read the comics, I still do my research to at least understand some things that I may be either curious or confused about.

- I like the Star Wars prequels just as much as the original three. I think the only reason people don't like the prequels is because the "hardcore fanboys" don't want any romance to go along with their lightsaber fights. Do I think how it's done was a little cheesy? Yes, it could have been done a little better... but, I don't flat-out abhor it like what the majority of the fanbase does.

- There is nothing wrong with country music as a whole. There is plenty of good country music out there, but I can understand why a lot of people seem to hate it. Trust me, I'm not a fan of the "beer-drinking-bar hopping-overly patriotic America is better than everybody else-hot girls in short-shorts" type of songs either. That's why I'm strictly 50's-early 2000's country.

- The best natural disaster movie when it comes to realism is Dante's Peak. Sure, there are some unrealistic things that does happen in it, but they're almost at a minimum. I'm an amateur geologist, take my word for it. ;) (No but seriously, take my word for it. There have been numerous real-life geologist/volcanologists that agree). And also, James Bond VS a volcano pwns all.

Last edited:
- I don't like reading the comics, but I like to watch cartoons and tv shows based on DC and Marvel properties. Even though I don't read the comics, I still do my research to at least understand some things that I may be either curious or confused about.
Ditto.

I love comic book movies but most times, I won't go anywhere near the actual comic. Every writer wants to make their mark and everything gets changed for a year, then the reset button is pressed and we're back to day one. It feels like the "big huge epic event you've been waiting for these fifty years" in said comic usually ends up being retconned, making it moot. And that annoys me.

Also, I'm not a fan of any of the Transformer comics series. Never have been and probably never will be. Why? I'm a Bumblebee fan. Guess who keeps getting injured/blown to smithereens/killed/abused? If you said Bumblebee, you'd be right.

Spectacular Spider-man is just as good as the 90s Spider-man cartoon. Ultimate Spider-man is horrible though.

Avengers Assemble isn't as bad as most people say it is. It's okay on it's own but Earth's Mightiest Heroes is still better.

X-men Evolution is a good X-men show and it should have gotten another season.

Walking Dead is boring. Zombies make for a better video game and movie than a TV series.

The Flash is way better than Arrow. People at least have fun on The Flash and it's not afraid to delve into the crazier things from comic books. So can't wait for Gorilla Grodd to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom