• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Much like Kris, Xane should be in FE Heroes. Make him a dragon unit that doesn't transform, like Sothis.

Subaki isn't that bad of a unit as some people make him out to be in FE Fates. Sure he may not see endgame but at least he isn't trash like some characters are and end up mediocre at best (Wendy/Gwendolyn). Also in terms of personality, Subaki >>> Cordelia, I'd rather have a character that flat out brags about themselves over a character that talks about how it sucks to be naturally talented whenever they're praised for something.

I actually liked Gregor's Russian accent in Awakening.

Tellius' dragon designs >>>>> Awakening's dragon designs.

Dimitri is best boy.
Great taste. I also think Claude is great too after playing the Golden Deer route, but Dimitri managed to top him after playing most of the Blue Lions route.

My most controversial one.
For a game like Fire Emblem where marriage is involved, the best kind of representation is to have 1/3 of the cast straight, another third bi, and the final third exclusive to one gender (split fifty/fifty). That's how I would do it, anyway.
For example, out of a cast of 42, 14 people are straight, 14 people are bi, 7 are gay, and 7 are lesbian.
I really don't care if Nintendo/IS ever wants to do this or not in future FE games, but is this unpopular? I've seen a lot of support for something like this on the FE subreddit and Serenes Forest as well. Not to mention the backlash Three Houses got after more confirmed info on same-sex pairings was released.

I really don't care if Nintendo/IS ever wants to do this or not in future FE games, but is this unpopular? I've seen a lot of support for something like this on the FE subreddit and Serenes Forest as well. Not to mention the backlash Three Houses got after more confirmed info on same-sex pairings was released.
I think this is a pretty much common complain about any game that includes marriage/relationships, like Harvest Moon, Tomodachi Life and others. My take on this is that should they be allowed, they should do something like Stardew Valley's bouquets to prevent accidentally romancing someone you don't want. I remember reading that a certain hated YouTuber accidentally romanced Anders in Dragon Age 2, causing everyone to laugh at his horrified expression.

I think this is a pretty much common complain about any game that includes marriage/relationships, like Harvest Moon, Tomodachi Life and others. My take on this is that should they be allowed, they should do something like Stardew Valley's bouquets to prevent accidentally romancing someone you don't want. I remember reading that a certain hated YouTuber accidentally romanced Anders in Dragon Age 2, causing everyone to laugh at his horrified expression.
That's true, I just find it odd to call it unpopular when in most of the FE community at least, it's not.

Personally if future FE games add them again, then they shouldn't pull a Fates/Three Houses situation with it. I did mention once before how dumb it was that Male!Byleth got 3 same-sex pairings, with two being bait (not ending in romance, both guys have a wife and kids), compared to Fem!Byleth's 5 pairings (not sure if any are baity though, would be dumb too if some were). Either do it right or not at all then, imo.

Last edited:
Much like Kris, Xane should be in FE Heroes. Make him a dragon unit that doesn't transform, like Sothis.

Subaki isn't that bad of a unit as some people make him out to be in FE Fates. Sure he may not see endgame but at least he isn't trash like some characters are and end up mediocre at best (Wendy/Gwendolyn). Also in terms of personality, Subaki >>> Cordelia, I'd rather have a character that flat out brags about themselves over a character that talks about how it sucks to be naturally talented whenever they're praised for something.

I actually liked Gregor's Russian accent in Awakening.

Tellius' dragon designs >>>>> Awakening's dragon designs.

Great taste. I also think Claude is great too after playing the Golden Deer route, but Dimitri managed to top him after playing most of the Blue Lions route.

I agree with basically all of this.

Subaki is awesome. I like him better than Hinoka actually. Though both suffer from being Pegasus knights since Pegasus knights just don’t seem to stand up as well in the end game of fates. And Cordelia while a good unit, isn’t that great personality wise since her Chrom crush is too big a part of her character and overshadows all her other traits. Subaki s personality while eye rolling at times is actually entertaining.

I’m worried for Golden Deer if Dimitri is more likeable. Currently edelgard is my fav of the lords. Dimitri has been a bit too angsty on the side of idiocy for my liking. But the blue lions are a great cast.
That's true, I just find it odd to call it unpopular when in most of the FE community at least, it's not.

Personally if future FE games add them again, then they shouldn't pull a Fates/Three Houses situation with it. I did mention once before how dumb it was that Male!Byleth got 3 same-sex pairings, with two being bait (not ending in romance, both guys have a wife and kids), compared to Fem!Byleth's 5 pairings (not sure if any are baity though, would be dumb too if some were). Either do it right or not at all then, imo.
I just found that out that those were baity which is pretty screwed up. What’s the point of platonic s supports period?

I’m in the opinion where I don’t honestly care about the amount of same sex supports but I do believe that if they’re going to be done then they should be done right. At least there are some non avatar same sex relationships.

For me it’s Majoras Mask. I’m not far in it at all and am finding it more tedious than anything.

Breath of the wild i think is a little overrated too. If you like wasting hours walking across nothingness then it’s great, but That’s the majority of the game and walking across nothingness isn’t always fun.

On Majora's Mask, I get it. When I think of what makes Majora's Mask outstanding, it's never its gameplay, dungeons, mechanics (although the transformations are neat), etc. Instead I'm always thinking about the great attention to detail put into building up the world and its characters (as in showing us their lives/routines). The game also has amazing atmosphere going for it, which combines with the aforementioned details to create quite an emotional experience of a game. It's nothing like I'd ever experienced in a game before. Heck, I've never experienced anything quite like that in a game since, either.

Breath of the Wild - I love getting lost in the wilderness. A game where you're just walking through small, limited, set pathways does not feel like an authentic adventure. I love getting to take in the adventure going in between places. It makes the whole thing so much more immersive, IMO.

My problem with both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask is that both of them have weird pacing issues. With Ocarina of Time using the "three dungeons as normal, rest of dungeons only accessible through unusual traveling" formula used in A Link To The Past, which should've been retired before Zelda went to 3D. Majora's Mask, on the other hand, forces you to keep going back in time constantly. This not only devalues any positive change you did in an NPC's life, but it also made the game too tedious for my liking.

I didn't see anyone mention that kind of system on Reddit or Serenes, but it could just be that I started going there a while after 3H released rather than during the pre-release. Well, if it gets popular, hopefully IntSys would take notice :p

Subaki is awesome. I like him better than Hinoka actually. Though both suffer from being Pegasus knights since Pegasus knights just don’t seem to stand up as well in the end game of fates. And Cordelia while a good unit, isn’t that great personality wise since her Chrom crush is too big a part of her character and overshadows all her other traits. Subaki s personality while eye rolling at times is actually entertaining.

Agreed! I actually married him in my playthrough. I did find him a little very obnoxious at times, though, and I didn't find many supports of his which showed him getting past his perfectionism and superiority complex, which was disappointing.

Agreed! I actually married him in my playthrough. I did find him a little very obnoxious at times, though, and I didn't find many supports of his which showed him getting past his perfectionism and superiority complex, which was disappointing.
But even then it’s not that bad.

Fates had too many supports. Every guy could support with every girl and it was just too much and then they shoehorned in children for even more.

Not sure how unpopular this is, but I hate characters having tons of supports. The avatar makes sense, but I don’t think they should s support everyone. And supports should make sense. Like Jakob and Takumi? Really. Yet no Jakob and Kaze which would be interesting.

Three Houses has fixed this some which I’m glad about. Not as much of a pain for supporting. But Fates has it so bad. Also characters being able to only support the carat and not even c support anyone else.

@Midorikawa
To be fair, past games have odd supports as well, such as Eirika/Saleh in FE8. I'm of the opinion that the number of supports/who the supports are between isn't an issue as long as they're written well. I do think some characters, such as the sibling characters in Fates, shouldn't be marriageable. God, Fates was a train wreck.

All right; time to get this topic back on track. Another unpopular opinion. The Wii U was actually OK - a lot of games on it were pretty good, you know? Such as Mario Kart and notably Splatoon.

/casually hides my opinion that the only good Pokemon rivals are the ones that are jerks, with Blue and especially Silver being the best ones and how I hate Hau and Bianca so much as rivals lol

I haven't even finished my first route of Fire Emblem: Three Houses (I play really, REALLY slowly), but I will say that Marianne is the best girl of the game and it's a shame I don't see her get mentioned practically anywhere when people are discussing this game on various sites. Even in battle, she became a better mage than Lysithea for me. She's a monster in combat.

Here's a definite unpopular opinion for Three Houses, though: I VASTLY prefer the way Byleth is a mostly silent protagonist over the way past avatar characters were handled. I know a lot of people have said it takes them out of the experience having Byleth not talk in voice acting while everyone else does, but it makes them much less offensive and distracting than Robin and especially Corrin were, and I like that their dialogue is almost entirely either implicit or player-chosen. Mark was my favorite avatar character before for similar reasons (not exactly a high bar to pass, but still lmao), but I find myself actually enjoying playing as Byleth and just choosing unspoken dialogue from time to time.

Byleth is amazing. He would be my first choice for marriage, honestly.

On the other hand, I think avatars like Mark are incredibly dull. They barely affect the story, and Mark is barely customisable, so what's the point of including them...?

Mark had little aspects like their reaction to Serra. Robin wasn’t bad but Corrin at times made some annoying decisions. Awesome in warriors though. I agree Byleth is the best. They don’t have too much of a personality so it doesn’t make you feel detached but they’re not lacking one either so you can feel attached.

Despite that I actually like Corrin when they’re not making dumb decisions. They just should have been made more as a character than an avatar. Same with Robin. Robin is great as their own character.

/casually hides my opinion that the only good Pokemon rivals are the ones that are jerks, with Blue and especially Silver being the best ones and how I hate Hau and Bianca so much as rivals lol

I actually like both friendly and jerk rivals, though Silver is indeed my favorite among Pokémon rivals as well. It's also why I like Bede a lot more compared to Marnie for the new rivals revealed in SwSh. I guess my unpopular opinion, at least around here so far, is that I like Bede's design and his apparent prideful personality over Marnie's (who tbh, I kind of find dull and boring, also her hair doesn't do it for me).

I haven't even finished my first route of Fire Emblem: Three Houses (I play really, REALLY slowly), but I will say that Marianne is the best girl of the game and it's a shame I don't see her get mentioned practically anywhere when people are discussing this game on various sites. Even in battle, she became a better mage than Lysithea for me. She's a monster in combat.
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen too much talk of Marianne either outside of the Heroes subreddit (which I see people want her over Mercedes due to her being outclassed by other healers). Usually for female mage characters in this game, Lysithea gets more discussion topics. Personally I like Marianne the most out of the girls in Golden Deer, her design is great, I like her shy/reserved personality, and her opinion on her Crest is interesting.

Here's a definite unpopular opinion for Three Houses, though: I VASTLY prefer the way Byleth is a mostly silent protagonist over the way past avatar characters were handled. I know a lot of people have said it takes them out of the experience having Byleth not talk in voice acting while everyone else does, but it makes them much less offensive and distracting than Robin and especially Corrin were, and I like that their dialogue is almost entirely either implicit or player-chosen. Mark was my favorite avatar character before for similar reasons (not exactly a high bar to pass, but still lmao), but I find myself actually enjoying playing as Byleth and just choosing unspoken dialogue from time to time.
I agree with this. It makes me mad that they removed the silent option in the English release of Awakening (I can't remember if Fates had this option in the Japanese version).

I also find it hard to connect/insert myself into Kris', Robin's, Corrin's, and Byleth's shoes so to speak, in fact they already have a personality vastly different from my own, tbh I connect with other non-avatar characters in the series more than the "my units" lol. I never saw Kris, Robin, Corrin, and Byleth as a true insert for the player anyway, they all have their own personalities and place in the world. I like them as their own characters.

My opinion is that I want the next FE game to not have a avatar. Let's take a break from that please, people don't need an "avatar" to feel connected to the other characters.

On the other hand, I think avatars like Mark are incredibly dull. They barely affect the story, and Mark is barely customisable, so what's the point of including them...?
I mean, Mark is just the faceless tactician and he's also mostly notable for Lyn's story, otherwise he's detached from the rest of the plot and the story pretty much progresses like he's not there; so it's understandable to easily forget about him or consider him pointless. Actually, an FE YouTuber did a video on this here for those interested.

Speaking of avatars, I've said it before and I'll say it again but Kris is my favorite of all avatars still, with Byleth in second. I actually don't mind Corrin, and I still think Male!Corrin's default design is better than Fem!Corrin's.

Despite that I actually like Corrin when they’re not making dumb decisions. They just should have been made more as a character than an avatar. Same with Robin. Robin is great as their own character.
Speaking of avatars, I've said it before and I'll say it again but Kris is my favorite of all avatars still, with Byleth in second. I actually don't mind Corrin, and I still think Male!Corrin's default design is better than Fem!Corrin's.
Both of these I agree with. I'm fine with Corrin in material outside of Fates proper. It's when they are meant to be an avatar that I have an issue with, especially in Revelation where Corrin is just... doing things I would never do and it infuriates me as a player expected to sympathize lol. Being an avatar bottlenecked their potential, I feel. And male!Corrin is definitely more aesthetically pleasing to me. His default hair is nice, and he doesn't have that goofy thigh window that the girl Corrin has. It also helps that m!Corrin has way better art in Fire Emblem Heroes (that Adrift alt is amazing, and the New Year one is cute) than his female counterpart (I honestly do not like Sencha's art at all, which is an unpopular opinion itself on /r/fireemblemheroes).

My problem with Blue is not that he's a jerk, since I do like Silver. My problem is that being a jerk is his only trait, making him annoying to me.

Oof yeah I am not a big fan of Corrin at all. Both because of what FinalArcadia said and...well...unfortunately I'm biased because my favorite character is Takumi, and I'm sick to death of both players and the canon berating him for having a hard time trusting poor Corrin when if you ask me he was well within his rights not to. Forgive me, I'm bitter.

I think my biggest gripe(s) with Ocarina boil down to:
  • Not liking Hyrule Field as a massive central hub ... with extremely little to do except tediously travel across it. Even Majora's Mask did it better.
  • I didn't like how the story ended. Epilogues are forever, and if you feel the ending was unsatisfactory, you will never be able to forget it (just compare Mass Effect 3).
  • Inverting the boss battle design. In Link to the Past bosses were primarily action-based affairs with light puzzle elements, but starting with Ocarina (and persisting through every game before Breath of the Wild) bosses were primarily puzzle-based affairs with light action elements. Y'know, basically just dodge their attacks, use your newest gimmick to immobilize/stun/etc. them, then land a few hits while they're down. Repeat three times (more often than not EXACTLY three times) and you win!

While we're on the subject of FE supports - unless I'm just a hair too late to join that bandwagon - am I the only one who dislikes the idea of those taking place on the battlefield, instead of at a camp or any other time? It really doesn't make much sense to me for characters to be catching up with each other to chat about whatever when there are enemy soldiers and undead trying to hack them apart. More importantly, I, as the player, am too focused on setting up the team into positions for the enemy than to think about improving supports through conversations between characters. In no other RPG series that I've played can party banter be initiated, or triggered randomly in many cases, in the middle of combat, and I think that's for the better. I feel this is one thing that Awakening did right, IMO. I will, however, say that, as I've noticed while playing Shadows of Valentia, at least there are pop-ups that indicate when characters can talk, instead of forcing me to guess to increase supports... even if I'd still rather just keep my attention on engaging the enemy instead of chit-chat.

I haven't played Three Houses myself yet - and have, admittedly, been a tad skeptical when I learned more about some of its... school features - but the fact that all of Byleth's dialogue is made through player-input sounds intriguing, and I can agree with you on this point. Dialogue through player-input is how a lot of non-Japanese RPGs handle silent, custom-made protags (see Bioware, Obsidian, Bethesda, Larian, etc.), just sometimes with more consequences that can affect the story. Having the PC speak for the player is the best method I've seen for allowing true self-inserts, if the PC is intended to be an avatar at all... or dare I say role-play the character. ;)

I also agree with the above statement. I'm okay with friendly rivals myself, but I prefer the rivals that give me incentive to want to be a better Trainer. (There's a reason Paul in the anime series is my favorite rival; not just for Ash, but in general.)

Both of these I agree with. I'm fine with Corrin in material outside of Fates proper. It's when they are meant to be an avatar that I have an issue with, especially in Revelation where Corrin is just... doing things I would never do and it infuriates me as a player expected to sympathize lol. Being an avatar bottlenecked their potential, I feel. And male!Corrin is definitely more aesthetically pleasing to me. His default hair is nice, and he doesn't have that goofy thigh window that the girl Corrin has. It also helps that m!Corrin has way better art in Fire Emblem Heroes (that Adrift alt is amazing, and the New Year one is cute) than his female counterpart (I honestly do not like Sencha's art at all, which is an unpopular opinion itself on /r/fireemblemheroes).
I hardly remember revelations actually lol. I hate male corrin designs. There are like no good ones and he looks so weird. I much prefer female. But that heroes one of male corrin with the long hair. I was so mad I couldn’t recreate him in fates.

On the subject of fates. I hate the awakening characters. I wish they did original retainers not just characters we’ve had in a previous game. It’s just lazy. And magic sucks in fates so far in my experience, but maybe it’s because I don’t bother raising them since they suck so bad early game, which makes me use Odin even less.
My problem with Blue is not that he's a jerk, since I do like Silver. My problem is that being a jerk is his only trait, making him annoying to me.
Exactly. Silver had some reasoning, and he grows through it. It’s why I like the BW rivals. Cherry and Bianca grown just in the first one alone. And while High doesn’t really change, at least he tries to challenge you. Even Hai was good because yes he was friendly, but he challenged you, and there was a drive and reasoning there. But blue is a jerk because...well there is no reason. He’s just a bully. Nothing more or less. And I don’t find it satisfying to beat him. It’s annoying to battle him because my team is always half dead.

While we're on the subject of FE supports - unless I'm just a hair too late to join that bandwagon - am I the only one who dislikes the idea of those taking place on the battlefield, instead of at a camp or any other time? I

I actually don’t mind this. Especially since some supports comment on this so it makes them funny. Though it would be nice to have both. Three houses is doing better with them since you’ll have like two B supports with one person. It would be cool to have battle supports and downtime ones, just to see the differences in how they behave. You could have them nice and sweet off the field. And then on it they could be going “Kill every last one of them!”

In the end I think it’s about how they handle them.

Back
Top Bottom