• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Sora should've been in Smash 4, not Shulk.
Nah, Shulk's from a popular Nintendo franchise. However, Sora really shoulda gotten in over Corrin. They're a good character, but we really didn't need another FE character. I'd say gettin' the license to Sora would have been a pain since Disney owns him and not Square, but considerin' they let Wreck-It Ralph be in Sonic All-Stars Racing, they probably woulda been okay with it. Really, they shoulda done a "top three" thing with the fan vote.

Anyway, here's an opinion that's not so much unpopular as it is uncommon. Monster Rancher 4 is my favorite entry in the franchise. Granted, it's actually rather popular in the Monster Rancher fandom, but most fans say that Monster Rancher 2 is the best. They still like 4, though!

There are so many things about MR4 that make it my favorite. You get to raise up to five monsters, the dungeon-crawling adventures are fun, and your monsters don't die - they just get to a point where they can't battle or be trained, so you retire them and fuse them into new monsters. It also had a decent story... By virtue of being the only one in the series with an actual story. I also really liked the monster designs, but I wish there were more sub-breeds of the Joker and Henger species.

Last edited:
I don't see what was so bad about Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. To me it played rather similarly to the classic era Mega Drive games. Sure it did switching characters in an extremely stupid manner, but I actually found it to be a rather passable experience. Not incredible, but not as bad as a lot of people seem to think.

I know people say Harvest Moon 64 is considered one of the best games in Harvest Moon, but I honestly can't see why. You pretty much have zero time to do what you want, time itself goes by WAY too fast, there are too many requirements to get certain endings, and the graphics and controls are really clunky. Granted, I've never played an N64 before (I tried playing on an emulator. Couldn't figure it out), but still. Personally, I think Story of Seasons deserves the title of best HM game, and Friends of Mineral Town's popularity feels more justified.

I know people say Harvest Moon 64 is considered one of the best games in Harvest Moon, but I honestly can't see why. You pretty much have zero time to do what you want, time itself goes by WAY too fast, there are too many requirements to get certain endings, and the graphics and controls are really clunky. Granted, I've never played an N64 before (I tried playing on an emulator. Couldn't figure it out), but still. Personally, I think Story of Seasons deserves the title of best HM game, and Friends of Mineral Town's popularity feels more justified.

Harvest Moon 64 wasn't even the best Harvest Moon game of that console generation. Back to Nature for the original PlayStation was far better IMO. I used to spend countless hours playing both games, but 64 had significantly less things to do and discover, and as a result it became boring much faster. Both games had the problem of time elapsing too quickly though.

Everyone's all into the Xenoblades, you know? The original and X. But I can't stand to play either of them and have a LOT of trouble grasping what I find to be an awkward battle system. I don't like these games gameplay-wise. One of them is really grindy and repetitive (first one), and the other one has an interface that is extremely confusing and overly complex gameplay. (Xenoblade X)

I find the story of the original Xenoblade to be very lackluster in comparison to previous entries in the Xeno series; two little talked about games by the names of Xenogears for PS1 and Xenosaga (actually itself a trilogy, but I digress) for PS2. Made by the same people, under different companies. (Squaresoft and Namco respectively) Xenoblade's story has very similar themes to both, repeated again, but in a more watered-down fashion. Which I assume is to focus on the gameplay, whilst Xenosaga had a very heavy cutscene focus that I understand wouldn't appeal to most people. Xenogears had a good balance of both until disc 2. I still prefer it though because I just prefer old-school JRPGs as opposed to... whatever it is they're becoming today. (Honestly, I find modern JRPGs to be almost unrecognizable from how they used to be, the Xenoblades are one example of this) It was still fun, simple, and I could actually play it, adding a unique spin to turn-based JRPGs without straying too far. Plus, what Xenosaga lacked in gameplay, it made more than up for in story. That story hit me very hard emotionally and is my favorite of anything that ever existed. Better than any TV show or movie I've ever seen, due to well-written complex characters. After those two games, it was admittedly very hard for Xenoblade to compete at all.

For a more typical opinion: I thought Undertale's gameplay was better than its story. Its story was mildly interesting at points, but mostly had a lot of cliche barely-fleshed out characters and too much of that self-referential millennial internet humor that is all the rage nowadays. Also, the spritework was very badly drawn.

Last edited:
I don't know if this opinion is unpopular so much as just not mentioned, but I actually liked Crash and Aku Aku's Titans redesigns. Don't get me wrong, most of them (especially crunch) were total garbage, but Crash and Aku Aku's just feel strangely right, like this is how Crash should've looked if the hardware could've done it back then.

I have absolutely zero interest in Yo-Kai Watch, as it looks like a Pokémon ripoff to me (minus the freedom of choosing which attacks to use, since the demo for the first game told me that your creatures do all the attacking by themselves).

I had to leave Derpibooru because of a few...passionate fans. And by "passionate" I mean "annoying, and constantly mentioning the game every single post they make".

I never got the appeal of Pokémon Go. I tried it but it was not my thing.
I'm sure it could eventually get to the point where it's enjoyable, but where it is now? No. Without real multiplayer communications, an improvement to the battles (namely change it to pretty much anything that isn't a massive tap-fest), less comm-mons everywhere, and personally for me updated to at least Gen IV, It's really not for me either.

On an extension to one of my previous posts a long time ago: One of the people working in Galaxy 1 secretly gave Shigeru Miyamoto the middle finger by adding Rosalina's backstory and a generally more engaged story than any Mario series that came before or after. And indeed, rightly so. Because Shigeru Miyamoto is nothing more than the video game industry version of ultraconservatives like Eugene Deloncle, Francisco Franco, or closer to home, Shinzo Abe/Hideki Tojo; who insists on the status quo of a lack of a good, serious story like the 1980s - the sooner he resigns the better. I may miss Eiji Aonuma, or Junichi Masuda, and I sometimes wish Shozo Kaga is still at IS, but I am sure as hell won't miss the dinosaur, even if he tenure at Nintendo ends up like how Satoru Iwata did.

......I seriously couldn't understand the fandom rivalry between Yo-kai Watch and Pokemon. Seriously, there's already a ton of mons series out there that I feel it's completely unfair to suddenly jump up and point at Yo-kai Watch and call it a ripoff of Pokemon. Pokemon didn't even create the mons genre, the Megami Tensei franchise did.

Last edited:
......I seriously couldn't understand the fandom rivalry between Yo-kai Watch and Pokemon. Seriously, there's already a ton of mons series out there that I feel it's completely unfair to suddenly jump up and point at Yo-kai Watch and call it a ripoff of Pokemon. Pokemon didn't even create the mons genre, the Megami Tensei franchise did.
Not to mention dragon quest monsters GOT an english release 4 years before pokemon, and was the first true english moms game.

Anyways, I find halo 5 to have a good story, albiet flawed, especially compared to 4.
And over half of rares post microsoft buyout games are decent, the only one that sucked was perfect dark zero and even then...

never found the appeal of the batman arkham games, if I wanted a good superhero game, I'd play spider man 2 for ps2.
nintendo NEEDED censorship in FE fates and XCX.
edgeworth is not the best ace attorney character, he's second tier, even in investigations
tony hawk 5 was okay...
VR is just motion controls 2.0, as it even incorporates motion controls into many of it's games and is already selling poorly.
the xbox one kinect is AWESOME
and the only bad microsoft era rare games are the first two kinect sports games.

As much as I am looking forward to the first representative for the Celtic Pantheon being added to SMITE next month, I also want Polynesian gods at some point. And no, I have not seen Disney's Moana yet, but I got the idea after reading about that movie.

I really feel virtual reality is a gimmick and don't see it taking off. That being said, it's still a cool gimmick.

Gears of War 4 was a massive letdown and barely deserves even a 7/10.

I honestly feel that Mass Effect 2 is the weakest game in the trilogy, even with ME3's terrible ending. I still love it but it just has the worst pacing, the least engaging skill system and it's the one that stripped out several of the mechanics I really liked from the first game.

Resident Evil 5 was a really good game. What it lacked in any real horror atmosphere and scares, it made up for by being just a great game. It was greatly replayable, a blast to play with a friend, collecting the emblems and treasures was actually a lot of fun because they actually had a reason to be collected. Also, RE5 had Lost in Nightmares, which is, to date, one of my favourite DLCs ever released.

Back
Top Bottom