• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V

Episode 28 aired in Australia.
I am not fond of Ally's dad's voice. At least it's not as bad as Skip Boyle or Frederick.
I noticed Reira is now called Riley. I kind of okay with his voice.
Did the dub just add dialog to Henritta. "Do not disappoint me". What the hell, 4Kids. Sure, her mouth moved but no audio is heard for a reason. Plus, it takes two mouth flaps to say "Do not", not one.
Like usual, Yuya is a bit more arrogant than originally. -_-
More Japanese text removed.

For episode 30.
Since I skipped most of episode 25 and all of 26, this is the first time I heard young Gong's voice. I don't like it, especially the Elvis accent. Speaking of which, while I don't mind his father's voice, I dislike the use of the accent on him.
I kind of like the line where Sora wonders why they bring Frederick around. I always disliked Frederick, even more so in the dub because of his awful German accent, the fact it is a steriotype and terrible voice acting.
As for Yuya, while I'm happy the "Ladies and Gentlemen" was kept, I am not happy how it is done. "Grizzle Piketlemen"? Is this the best you can say or is Yuya being a jackass again.

Last edited:
I applaud your dedication.

The dub was so bad I struggled through the first 2 episodes and then I just couldn't bear to watch anymore

Three upcoming episodes have new information now.
Episode 86: Serena pretty much lost to Yugo since she will be sent underground, attacked by Security and Reira saves her.
Episode 87: Yuya will duel Crow. Crow apologises to Yuya for believing he's a Top (good thing that will be resolved) and they both vow to help each other achieve their motives. Apparently, Yuya will be either mind controlled, berserk mode or both maybe, around the start of the duel.
Episode 88: Yuya, (I guess either mind controlled, berserk mode or both) summons Odd Eyes Rebellion Dragon. Sora begs Crow to help Yuya, worrying about his well being and seeing that he is clearly not himself.

Speaking of Crow, since Tom Wayland is no longer going to voice anyone anymore (Skip Boyle is now voiced by Billy Bob Thompson), I wonder who will voice him. I do remember Christopher C Adams used to voice Crow. I still don't know who voices Yuto since Marc Thompson denied voicing him. I found out Riley is voiced by Bella Hudson.
Anyway, speaking of the dub, thank god Rin will keep her name (in Italy at least). Half of the Dimensional girls kept their names (I don't know if Serena counts), while the other half had dumb name changes (Zuzu, while I'm less pissed about it now than when it first aired in English, I still hate the name change; and Lulu, which I think is a bit worse, some may disagree).
I still not sure how they're going to approach episode 39 since that episode contains a lot of violence (Isao/Iggy beating up Yuya). Although they kept a scene where Sawatari nearly got stabbed by a spear, left Aura's nosebleeds in and Yuya's accidental immundo, I still feel a lot of edits will happen in that episode.

I thought that the previous episode was pretty good. Despite the week break, it took me awhile to rewatched the episode subbed, but that might have been good due to said break. I felt pretty bad for Yuya being stuck in that cell. At least he was trying to be hopeful with saying that he and Yuzu would go back home with everyone.

I liked that Yugo was determined to win for both Rin and Yuzu. I wonder how he'd react upon finding out that Yuzu is still alive. Yugo's reaction to seeing Serena was so hilariously adorable and sad at the same time. He was just so happy about possibly seeing Rin again, but because it wasn't Rin, it was kind of sad in a way since he got so happy. Serena punching Yugo was so funny and fitting for her character. I didn't expect them to do the gag longer, but it was still pretty funny.

The duel had a pretty decent start. Yugo seeing Rin through Serena was kind of sweet. It showed how much he cared for her and how much he valued their dream of dueling together in a stadium by constantly seeing Rin through Serena. It did cause Yugo to have a pretty bad opening move, but that was reasonable given how he got too caught up in imagining having a duel against Rin. Serena was able to make use of that poor start with her Moonlight Cat Dancer. I liked the flashbacks to Yugo and Rin's interactions. Considering that he got too caught up in a fantasy image of Rin, it made sense that his memories of the actual Rin would shake Yugo out of it and get back into dueling like usual. It also showed more of their relationship and their dynamics in general.

I really didn't like Jean cheating for Serena though. It seemed pretty unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Yeah, Yugo would have destroyed Moonlight Cat Dancer with his Synchro monster if the duel lanes hadn't changed and Jean does have plans for Serena, but it didn't seem like she was in a bad enough spot to where he really needed to interfere. She wasn't in danger of losing at that point. Plus, it just makes it more obvious that she's going to lose. Granted, the match itself makes it obvious who the winner is going to be, but they wouldn't want Serena to win due to Jean cheating for her, even if she isn't aware of what's going on. Serena would be seriously angry if she knew what Jean was doing too. She has a warrior kind of pride, so she wouldn't want to win due to someone else pulling some strings. She'd want an honorable and fair duel. It also was a bit excessive to potentially endanger Yugo's life just to make sure Serena wins. If Jean really thinks that Serena is that strong, then she wouldn't need his help in the first place.

Yugo switching into manual to avoid a crash was pretty cool, especially when I don't think most D-Wheels can do that. Not losing Moonlight Cat Dancer definitely helped Serena, but as I said before, it still felt a bit excessive. It did put Yugo in a tighter spot and being unable to grab an Action Card to save him definitely didn't help. I liked seeing more of his moments with Rin and it seemed like she was able to push Yugo into a corner during their duel during that flashback, but it seemed a bit odd that he needed that flashback to remember that he doesn't give up. I still liked the moment and I liked the flashbacks showcasing his relationship with Rin, but it seemed weird that he needed to do that in order to activate that Trap card. He was still emotionally out of the duel due to being so focused on his feelings for Rin and the idea of dueling along side her, but I felt that worked better with the first flashback instead of there. I was still generally fine with the flashback itself, but it just felt a bit weird.

Yugo was pretty lucky his Trap card worked since it was a pretty big gamble. The light from Yuya's Odd-Eyes was stronger than it was the previous time they mentally synchronized. For a moment, I thought that Yuya and Yugo had actually switched mind. Yuya seemed to see things from Yugo's perspective and was reacting his environment as himself, which would have been an interesting development, but that could have made things trickier with the mind control chip. Ending it with the Yuya and Yugo saying Yuya's catchphrase was a pretty nice cliffhanger. The preview also looked pretty good with Serena smiling and Yugo getting a Clear Wing Synchro Dragon upgrade. That should be interesting to see.

Ugh, what was even the point of Yuya and Yugo syncing with each other when Yugo seemed fully capable of summoning Crystal Wing without Yuya's help.

Episode 85.
Roger continues to rig the duel by switching lanes. Apparently, nobody other than Serena, Yugo and Crow seems to care (and even more reason why I hate this dimension so much).
Serena decides not to pick up the action card
Yuri appears in this episode.
Yugo defeats Serena.
Yugo then thought Serena is Rin once again and as a result, being punched in the face.
He notices Yuri.

Anyway, it took me a while to find episode 31 of the dub. Anyway, the interlacing still bothers me but it's the channel, not the dub. Time for episode 31.
When Yuya was introduced to the audience, two people had doubts that he legitimately Pendulum Summoned and beat Ishijima. In the dub, Sledgehammer was never mentioned and the last person is less doubtful of Yuya (all she said was "And find out if Yuya is the next big thing or a big phony").
There was no Neo New Sawatari in the dub.
Also, is it really necessary to have Nico scream. UGH.
Even Sawatari is a victim of dub edits. His fingers, like everyone else, is edited just because 4Kids is worried about people being flipped off seeing a middle finger while holding cards.

Episode 32
The audience is still obsessed with "the next big thing".
The girl in the far right sounds like she has a head cold or something.
Lastly, I kind of noticed Yuya's red hair appears too saturated in the dub (red appearing more orangish). I know this isn't a dub edit since they have no reason to change a color anyway and it has more to do with the way its processed but it still bothers me a bit.

Episode 33
At least they kept Heartland City as the name.
More bear puns from Sora.
Matt Shipman continues to be excellent at voicing Shay.

Come to think of it, next week, Yugo will finally get s speaking role. I wonder how good his voice will be and how they would handle the Fusion thing (I still think they should've called Yugo, Yusion, for the safe route but it is still good to see his name remain unchanged either way).

Last edited:
I've heard some of dub yuto and it is baaaaaad. Yugo's reasoning for chasing him to standard can be to kill him so no one else has to suffer the sound of that any longer.

Episode 34.
Shay's voice continues to be excellent.
Good thing is that most of the script is stuck to the original, especially the part where Shay wants to take back his comrades.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this. I sometimes question why Shay is allowed to keep most of his lines unaltered but edit most of Yuya's script.

Last edited:
Ugh, what was even the point of Yuya and Yugo syncing with each other when Yugo seemed fully capable of summoning Crystal Wing without Yuya's help.

They most likely want them the synchronize during each of Yugo's duels to tie into the connection Yuya has with his counterparts, as well as possibly lead up to their eventual duel. Although, I was disappointed that Crystal Wing seemingly didn't result from their mental connection like I thought it would too.

I've heard some of dub yuto and it is baaaaaad. Yugo's reasoning for chasing him to standard can be to kill him so no one else has to suffer the sound of that any longer.

Yeah, Yuto's dub voice after his debut almost sounded okay, but now he just sounds like a gruff and angry version of dub Yuya. Yuya's dub voice is still pretty shaky for me, as in sometimes it's okay, other times it really doesn't work and it still isn't a fitting voice for him in general, so a gruff and angry version of that voice for Yuto is not going to work in the slightest. Shun's dub voice is surprisingly fantastic though.

Anyway, I thought that last week's episode was pretty good. I liked seeing Yuya being happier while he was mentally connected with Yugo. When it happened the first time, Yuya looked more serious and angry, possibly to make it clearer that he was possessed, but he looked more relaxed, happy and generally like himself. It was refreshing and nice after everything he's been through lately to see Yuya being happy and having fun. That might have been due to how they were emphasizing the fun of the duel for Serena or possibly because the connection with Yugo was stronger this time around. Yuya was seemingly able to see things from Yugo's perspective at first before they mentally synchronized and he did seem aware that he dueled after the connection wore off, so Yuya's expressions could have reflected the differences in their connection.

I liked that Yugo seemed to realize that the duel was rigged in Serena's favor. Jean constantly changing the course whenever Serena was in trouble so that she could get an Action Card, regardless of whether or not she really needed the help, made it pretty obvious. Maybe he could have gotten away with doing that a couple of times without making it look suspicious, but he did it every time she was facing off against Yugo's attack, so it would make it seem like someone wanted her to win. Serena refusing to take the Action Card was a really great moment. It was quite fitting with her character. Serena has a prideful warrior kind of attitude towards dueling, so she wouldn't want to accept any handouts or unfair help from anyone. Plus, it was a great way to slap Jean in the face by not accepting his help. It also helped to put the duel back on a more equal playing field, which was especially nice given how Jean cheating for Serena bothered me in the first half of the duel. I didn't even mind that the Action Card she ignored helped Yugo to win. It did tie in with what he was trying to say about always taking the chances you can get.

I liked how Serena was slowly getting more into enjoying the duel. It felt like a nice and gradual progress for her character. It was also just really nice to see her go full out against a strong opponent and have fun for the first time doing so. She grew up in Academia and was taught to see dueling as a form of battle, so she hadn't experienced a fun duel before. Hearing her use one of Yuya's catchphrase was especially nice. I didn't expect Serena to have Pendulum cards, but I was fine with that. They had nice designs, good effects and give her deck more support. I like Serena's deck, but they desperately need to show more of it. The fact that it took us until the Friendship Cup for Serena just to get a second Fusion monster was just plain sad. This duel helped a lot with that and having Pendulum cards should also help to get more of her cards released, as well as possibly being showcased further in the show. Serena's Lion Dancer also had a really cool design and was definitely the strongest Fusion monster in her deck thus far. Yugo was pretty lucky to survive through its attacks.

Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon had a really cool design. I think it works better in the anime than it does in the official card artwork since it gives off more of a Shooting Star Dragon vibe, especially with its wing. Unfortunately, I thought it was lackluster in a sense. As I mentioned before, I was disappointed that Crystal Wing seemingly didn't look like the result of Yuya and Yugo's mental connection. It seemed pretty ordinary to me. It was as if Yugo had Crystal Wing this whole time and was just never pushed to where he needed it up until now. Yugo didn't seem confused about Crystal Wing after the duel when the connection wore off. I was expecting it to be something like what has happened to Yuya where Crystal Wing calls out to both of them or at least some kind of sign that it came from their connection. To be fair, maybe they didn't want Crystal Wing to call out to both of them if they wanted the whole monster calling out to be summoned detail to be something specific to Yuya, which could work. It has happened to him multiple times and that could be due to Yuya's importance among his dimensional counterparts. It just seemed disappointing that there was seemingly nothing supernatural on Crystal Wing's summoning or creation. It was still pretty awesome to see it attack and defeat Lion Dancer though.

It was nice to see Serena accept her loss so well. She was just happy about having fun while dueling. She even could see more of Yuya in Yugo and could understand more about what Yuya was talking about regarding making people smile through dueling. It was nice to see another duel in the Friendship Cup actually end with a new friendship again. That really doesn't happen too often in spite of the name of the tournament. I didn't think that Yugo would see Rin through Serena again, but seeing Serena punch Yugo right in the face was hilarious.

I really wasn't expecting Yuri to show up. That was a big surprise. I thought he wouldn't show up until the invasion started. Maybe he came early to find Yuzu. Yuzu is important to their plans, so they might want to find her before the Synchro dimension is invaded. It's also possible that his dragon responded to Clear Wing/Crystal Wing. Yuri was holding a glowing card during the duel. I wonder if he could sense the connection Yuya and Yugo had. Yugo wasn't able to sense him until after the connection wore off though. Yuri looked quite unhappy during and after the duel too.

Yugo chasing after Yuri should be quite interesting. I'm sure that Yugo will be fine. If Yuri was going do something bad to Yugo, it would most likely be the main focus of an episode instead of the side plot. Reira saving Serena should be good. It will be really good for his character development to help Serena. I do hope Serena gets some payback for the Security guards seemingly beating and tossing her on the ground though. Reira taking charge is good for his character, but I hope that Serena isn't just the damsel in distress.

Episode 35
They cut a scene where in the original, Yuzu reveals that Yuto was the one who attacked Sawatari, Gong accuses Yuzu for not believing in Yuya at the time.
Strangely, nothing is altered in a scene where Sora punches two security guards.
Yep, after watching this episode, I can confirm Yuto's voice still sucks. Seriously, at first, Yuto's voice is okay but I can't describe how it is now.
Now, Frightfur Bear's summoning sequence is left as-is in the dub. 4Kids, care to explain why the previous episodes have them cut off but not this one.
The name Resistance is left as-is.
Hold on, now the scene where Frightfur Bear eats Break Sword is unedited? Okay, I'll stop there in this episode.

Episode 36
Wow, dub Yuya is quick to accuse Yuto for Sora disappearing. In the original, Yuya asks what is going on, not blaming it on Yuto.
They also slipped this in to Yuya: "And what ever you do, don't say you already have." Of course, Yuto said "I have", angering Yuya. Yuya in the original asked Yuto about worlds other than this one, Yuto replied yes, which Yuya thinks it's a load of bull.
I think Leo's voice is good. Speaking of voices, Yugo's voice seems a little bit too deep. I wonder if it is because he rides a motorbike that they decide to give him an older sounding voice. He didn't complain about the lampost.

I'm still worried about how they will handle the Yugo and Fusion thing (Yugo's name is not changed) and episode 39 (Iggy beats Yuya up a lot).

Last edited:
Episode 86.
We now know Yuri's main card. Unfortunately, there is no image background of the card but we know know it is a Level 8 DARK Fusion (the fusion part is obvious). It's called Starve Venom Fusion Dragon.
It's great to see Reira duel and beat the crap out of the 3 Security members.
I also can't help but love seeing Roger mad when his plans fail.
Also, they changed the time of the duel to tonight.

EDIT: I am bothered with how they're going to plant the chip on Yuya if they're moving the duel to tonight. We know that Roger wants the chip to be planted by tomorrow morning according to 3 episodes ago (83rd episode). We also know by the preview that the chip is infact planted. How are they able to do this in a short amount of time without screwing up? Also, even if Yuya was brainwashed, I still think he would win since Protagonists always win (well, not always but still).

EDIT 2: As for the dub, I am hearing rumors that the name "Selena" in the English version (Selena was used in the Italian version) will not be used but Celina is instead. Strangely, the French version uses Céline. However, Celina is an okayish name I guess. It's not retarded unlike "Zuzu" or "Lulu".

Last edited:
Episode 37
Since they kept Yugo's name as-is, they decide Yuto and Shay to call him Nogo. Are they using these names as insults?
Yuto also calls him "Slowgo" and then "Lame-o". WTF. Did they keep Yugo's name in favor of these puns? This is why I didn't feel comfortable with keeping Yugo's name as-is.
Yep, I definately think Yugo's voice is too deep.
While I am glad they didn't ruin the scene where Yuto gives Yuya Dark Rebellion, I still miss the music used in the Japanese version.
Also, at least Yuri's name is kept in the English version.

At this point, the dub overtook the abridged series, not counting the preview which came out today.

Episode 38
Ugh, Tsukikage is now Moon Shadow. They love puns, do they.
Ha, they forgot to change LDS to LID in one shot.
They kind of cut a scene where Yuya tells Frederick he can beat Riley next time, only to remember Sora says that there are no second chances.
My jaw dropped in this scene. You know the scene where Iggy beats up Kit. Him being beat up is left as-is (except for some shots). No star impacts replaces punches. They did cut a scene where they put Kit in a stretcher but he was still beat up. They had to add dialog to Iggy.

Episode 39
I guess Iggy's voice is alright.
Nico Smiley mentions Kuriboh hair.
Wow, they changed some of Iggy's backstory. When Yuya is chasing for the last action card, Iggy claims that he lost everything. In the original, he just said he just followed the dark path.
Yep, I can confirm no scenes are altered in the dub. They're not shortened, deleted or redrawn. All of Iggy beating up Yuya, including shoving, kicking, punching and stepping on Yuya's wrist is kept as-is.
At least they didn't make Yuya too talkative when he fuses with Yuto. Yuya sounds pissed when beserk rather than cold and deep. Unfortunately, they changed the Pendulum chant to the chant he regularly does in the dub. The original Japanese is still miles better. While I kind of see the approach of making Yuya angry (Michael Liscio did a good job in my opinion) but I don't approve with the idea either way.
I noticed they changed a line where originally, Iggy thought all Xyz monsters are Level 0 since they don't have levels. This is dropped in the dub since Iggy is shocked that he cannot do anything to stop the attack.

EDIT: I looked more into the Serena name change and found out it isn't really a name change since Celina is another translation of Serena, similar to Dipper from Hokuto. I think that more or less explains why Italy and France uses different translations from Serena. Italy uses Selena, France uses Céline and the US uses Celina. I can also add that they're pronounced the same either way so I am perfectly fine with Serena being called Celina.

EDIT 2: I also found out Moon Shadow is also a direct translation. I still don't approve the name, especially since he's a ninja.

Last edited:
Time for Episode 87.
Last time, I was wondering how Roger was able to plant a chip in Yuya before the match. It turns out he planted it in his helmet.
I kind of like Crow's apology to Yuya for believing he's a Top after dueling Shun.
Sora jumps to a moving helicopter and holds on to it.
Okay, according to Roger, the chip send electric shocks to his brain. AKA, torturing him by electrocution.
Not knowing this is happening and Yuya aggressively attacking Crow, Crow is convinced that Yuya was actually a Top.
Yugo and Yuri are also affected. I wonder how a citizen would react seeing Yugo or Yuri screaming and acting crazy.

According to the preview, Sora tells Crow that there really is something wrong with Yuya and requests him to save him.

Last edited:
I find it funny that Yuya would put a card that kills his entire field for draws into his deck before Roger turned him evil

I watch until episode 85, I like, we stuck in the middle of Arc-V? How many episodes we have?
As of January 3, 2016; there are currently 87 episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V.
Can I just say I feel really really bad for Yuya? his life is just freaking depressing with all the things that have happened to him lately, and it's like every time he picks himself back up he gets pushed back down.
This is the one thing that does always bother me. To summrise Yuya's life: Yusho disappears, he was bullied for it, accused for cheating (which was cleared up offscreen), mocked by Grizzlepike, realizes there are people who look like him and that Sora is the enemy, becomes beserk during a duel with Isao, sees people carded, becomes out of control again, realizes Yuzu was missing, Crow upsets Yuya in episode 62, treated like crap by nearly everyone in the Synchro Dimension for not only losing to Jack but for not agreeing with Yuya's idea of underground labor as being wrong, mocked for using Tuning Magician, accused for being a Top for the most retarded reasons (beating Shinji does not make someone a Top, Shinji spent time with him for half a seasons worth of episodes and the idea that everyone listened to him, including Sam and Crow, still pisses me off), Roger planted a chip that tortures him through electrocution and Crow for the second time, believes Yuya is a Top and didn't hear Yuya scream in pain.

The electrocution was enough to finally get him to use odd eyes rebellion dragon. That's a win in my book. Besides remember one of the first interactions between Crow and Yuya was him tastelessly telling him that food is less important than smiling. Only a tops in that dimension could possibly be in a position to say those words and considering all the suffering Crow has endured at their hands it makes sense for him not to care about a potential tops suffering a bit.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom