• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY058: Hiyoku Gym Battle! Gekogashira VS Gogoat!!

I thought that's what Gurkinn was upset about (or at least one of the things...). Now I'm not sure...
I checked the dub despite the warnings, and it really, really hurt.

In any case, Gurkinn in fact scold Lucario for being overconfident about its power, attacking excessively without commands, and told Korrina that, as she allowed that to happen, it meant she didn't truly understand it. It might sound like he believes Lucario anticipating attacks is wrong, but he's actually saying that Lucario's overconfidence is the problem, and that it happened due to lack of training, as they both assumed they understood each other when they really didn't. This explains why Lucario still anticipated Korrina's commands during the Gym Battle (that Power-Up Punch comes to mind), yet they were capable of putting up a fight without any problems, as they already trained and understood each other by that time.

It doesn't seem very realistic that Ash and Frogadier are capable of doing that at this point, but it only ocurred once, so it's possible they both were prepared for it. That or Frogadier knows how Ash just loves shoehorning the "type matchups don't really matter" so he knew Ash would want to finish off a Grass-type with a Water move, I guess... Or what if Frogadier just ignored Ash and secretly used a Wind Rasengan instead, passing it of as a Water Pulse? That'd count as Flying-type move, right? ...Okay, I'll stop.

Last edited:
Wait, seriously, I thought it only used cut, I honestly thought that the writers conveniently forgot about aerial ace. This is what happens when I don't pay much attention to the dialogue.

I'm a little miffed that Frogadier beat Weepinbell, but I realize this might be its last gym for awhile, probably Olympia will be the next.

Ash really disappointed me with Fletchinder in this battle. I mean he literally just spammed Nitro Charge the whole time. Also I'm now convinced that Fletchinder has forgotten Peck cuz two gyms in a row with an advantage and no use at all.

While I too am disappointed that Ash's Fletchinder only used flame charge and steel wing, I'd have to say it makes sense given the context of Jumpluff using speed to defend against Fletchinder, so Ash had to use his speed boosting attack.

Even if that was the case, why Steel Wing which isn't very effective and not Peck or Razor Wind?? Razor Wind would of made sense since Jumpluff was raising his defense so it's Special Defense would of been a great place to hit. I think it was more so the writers/animators cutting costs by forgetting moves 2 gyms in a row.

Wait, seriously, I thought it only used cut, I honestly thought that the writers conveniently forgot about aerial ace. This is what happens when I don't pay much attention to the dialogue.

I'm a little miffed that Frogadier beat Weepinbell, but I realize this might be its last gym for awhile, probably Olympia will be the next.

Ash really disappointed me with Fletchinder in this battle. I mean he literally just spammed Nitro Charge the whole time. Also I'm now convinced that Fletchinder has forgotten Peck cuz two gyms in a row with an advantage and no use at all.

While I too am disappointed that Ash's Fletchinder only used flame charge and steel wing, I'd have to say it makes sense given the context of Jumpluff using speed to defend against Fletchinder, so Ash had to use his speed boosting attack.

Even if that was the case, why Steel Wing which isn't very effective and not Peck or Razor Wind?? Razor Wind would of made sense since Jumpluff was raising his defense so it's Special Defense would of been a great place to hit. I think it was more so the writers/animators cutting costs by forgetting moves 2 gyms in a row.

Dramatic effects. Trying to give some good spotlight to Ramos. It's been a long time since the writers last cared about type advantages.

At least the ninja action was cool. Kids love ninjas.

The XY gym matches actually haven't failed to impress me yet. I love the way the action flows and how there's actual strategy used. I would've preferred to see Ash not spam the hell out of Flame Charge, but it kinda was smart since Ramos set him up for it with that Sunny Day. I don't get though how Weepinbell was THAT much faster even after the Flame Charge spam. I'm glad Frogadier got to star here and his battles especially were cool. It was nice that Ash was using strategy from something he remembered from Ramos. Very happy with how this gym match went. Now lets see if the trend of great Kalos gym matches will continue with Clemont.

Great gym battle, poor Hawlucha though, hope it'll get more love on another gym battle.

Did anyone notice that Ramos' Gogoat had 5 moves?(Razor Leaf, Vine Whip, Grass Knot, Leech Seed, and Horn Leech)

Dramatic effects. Trying to give some good spotlight to Ramos. It's been a long time since the writers last cared about type advantages.

Forgetting a pokemon's moves doesn't make the gym leader look better, it makes Ash look worse.

Forgetting a pokemon's moves doesn't make the gym leader look better, it makes Ash look worse.

They could have just not used it for unknown circumstances for all we know.

I understand not using one move. They didn't use TWO of it's moves. Seriously Peck or Razor Wind would of really helped him out in that battle, especially against Weepinbell.

I understand not using one move. They didn't use TWO of it's moves. Seriously Peck or Razor Wind would of really helped him out in that battle, especially against Weepinbell.

I don't understand why you're so upset. In battles, Trainers are not obligated to use every one of their Pokemons' moves. And with that said, it doesn't mean the writers have forgotten the move (it just used Razor Wind four episodes ago).

With reasons pointed out already, Flame Charge was Fletchinders best move for the job, because, ya know, Ash is trying to win this Gym Battle. Thus to the contrary, it actually was a smart move on Ash's part. Peck, while super effective, was weaker and didn't possess the speed boost and power increase Flame Charge had at the time, rendering its usage pointless. As far as I'm concerned, Razor Wind is in the same boat; it isn't super effective and long distance means nothing when you have a Chlorophyll boosted Weepinbell flying through the arena like Tarzan Slamming you down into the ground (and if you want to get technical, Fletchinder has a much higher Attack stat than Special Attack) .

I don't know why he used Steel Wing (maybe for a possible Defense increase?), but he did and that's that.

I don't understand why you're so upset. In battles, Trainers are not obligated to use every one of their Pokemons' moves. And with that said, it doesn't mean the writers have forgotten the move (it just used Razor Wind four episodes ago).

With reasons pointed out already, Flame Charge was Fletchinders best move for the job, because, ya know, Ash is trying to win this Gym Battle. Thus to the contrary, it actually was a smart move on Ash's part. Peck, while super effective, was weaker and didn't possess the speed boost and power increase Flame Charge had at the time, rendering its usage pointless. As far as I'm concerned, Razor Wind is in the same boat; it isn't super effective and long distance means nothing when you have a Chlorophyll boosted Weepinbell flying through the arena like Tarzan Slamming you down into the ground (and if you want to get technical, Fletchinder has a much higher Attack stat than Special Attack) .

I don't know why he used Steel Wing (maybe for a possible Defense increase?), but he did and that's that.

Peck hasn't been used two gyms in a row where it's super effective, that's my problem. Also Peck and Razor Wind would of gotten the same exact Speed Boost that Steel Wing would of gotten because the speed boost applies to all his moves. Against Jumpluff, the spam kind of made sense since it never attacked, however, Razor Wind would of been pretty helpful against Weepinbell as the only reason he was poisoned was because he got in close.

Peck hasn't been used two gyms in a row where it's super effective, that's my problem. Also Peck and Razor Wind would of gotten the same exact Speed Boost that Steel Wing would of gotten because the speed boost applies to all his moves. Against Jumpluff, the spam kind of made sense since it never attacked, however, Razor Wind would of been pretty helpful against Weepinbell as the only reason he was poisoned was because he got in close.

That's a good idea and all, but it's kinda too late now that the episode has aired and everything... Hopefully the writers take the type chart seriously at the Luminose gym battle.

That's a good idea and all, but it's kinda too late now that the episode has aired and everything... Hopefully the writers take the type chart seriously at the Luminose gym battle.

Considering it's a three on three which we all know Pikachu's gonna dominate again, that's probably not gonna happen.

Considering it's a three on three which we all know Pikachu's gonna dominate again, that's probably not gonna happen.
Well why are people complaining that that writers didn't take the type chart seriously when Weepobel used ACTUAL strategy to beat Fletchinder and Hawlcuha didn't have a super effective move. Remember that Frogadier spammed the hell out of Aerial Ace while also using Double Team and Cut to confuse the opponent.

Also weren't you one of those people who said that you were fine if Pikachu was used in the Lumiose Gym as long as it is a Bunnelby rematch which is what is happening.

Well why are people complaining that that writers didn't take the type chart seriously when Weepobel used ACTUAL strategy to beat Fletchinder and Hawlcuha didn't have a super effective move. Remember that Frogadier spammed the hell out of Aerial Ace while also using Double Team and Cut to confuse the opponent.

Also weren't you one of those people who said that you were fine if Pikachu was used in the Lumiose Gym as long as it is a Bunnelby rematch which is what is happening.

Who was complaining about the type chart?? I was complaining about the fact that Fletchinder's battle was not handled that great.

And I would be fine with that rematch if Pikachu lost and the battle went on, but we all know that isn't happening. That also means that it's gonna be the Pikachu show again with another pokemon being the fall guy so he get more glory he doesn't need.

Who was complaining about the type chart?? I was complaining about the fact that Fletchinder's battle was not handled that great.

And I would be fine with that rematch if Pikachu lost and the battle went on, but we all know that isn't happening. That also means that it's gonna be the Pikachu show again with another pokemon being the fall guy so he get more glory he doesn't need.
Well then if that's the case then you're right. Pikachu is THE one reason why I'm not looking forward to the Lumiose Gym.

Well then if that's the case then you're right. Pikachu is THE one reason why I'm not looking forward to the Lumiose Gym.

Really?? Cuz most of your posts recently seem to suggest that you want Pikachu to be in every gym.

Anyways, I am happy that Frogadier got a good showing and didn't go the Monferno route and not do anything before evolution.

I really don't understand the animation choice they went with for Aerial Ace though.

Really?? Cuz most of your posts recently seem to suggest that you want Pikachu to be in every gym.

Anyways, I am happy that Frogadier got a good showing and didn't go the Monferno route and not do anything before evolution.

I really don't understand the animation choice they went with for Aerial Ace though.
You do realise that they were troll/sceptical posts right.

Yeah after this showing I think that we can safely say that Frogadier can be Ash's greatest water type yet especially since its improved a lot from a Froakie.

I think the reason they changed the Aerial Ace animation is because that the original animation was way too drawn out and Frogadier uses Aerial Ace multiple types in this episode so it was more feasible for the animators.

Peck is weaker than Flame Charge and not boosted by intense sunlight. And Ash didn't know about the posionpowder beforehand, so again it doesn't/didn't matter.

But as explained, it was handled fine. If you've got a Pokemon with multiple SE moves, and you know one does tonnes more damage than the other, what are you doing to do? Obviously spam the hell out of it.

Also, by saying "but we all know that isn't happening. That also means that it's gonna be the Pikachu show again" that means you've obviously seen the episode, months before a release date has even been announced, and know for a fact that he wins. In that case, please share with us everything you know about this episode which you've apparantly had the great privilege of seeing months before anyone else....

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom