• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY058: Hiyoku Gym Battle! Gekogashira VS Gogoat!!

Well then if that's the case then you're right. Pikachu is THE one reason why I'm not looking forward to the Lumiose Gym.

Really?? Cuz most of your posts recently seem to suggest that you want Pikachu to be in every gym.

Anyways, I am happy that Frogadier got a good showing and didn't go the Monferno route and not do anything before evolution.

I really don't understand the animation choice they went with for Aerial Ace though.
You do realise that they were troll/sceptical posts right.

Yeah after this showing I think that we can safely say that Frogadier can be Ash's greatest water type yet especially since its improved a lot from a Froakie.

I think the reason they changed the Aerial Ace animation is because that the original animation was way too drawn out and Frogadier uses Aerial Ace multiple types in this episode so it was more feasible for the animators.

I figured but I never heard it from your mouth before.

But it was just his hand and feet glowing and him striking. I'm not talking about the OG animation with the white streaks, I'm talking about Frogadier animation specifically.

Peck hasn't been used two gyms in a row where it's super effective, that's my problem. Also Peck and Razor Wind would of gotten the same exact Speed Boost that Steel Wing would of gotten because the speed boost applies to all his moves. Against Jumpluff, the spam kind of made sense since it never attacked, however, Razor Wind would of been pretty helpful against Weepinbell as the only reason he was poisoned was because he got in close.

Peck is weaker than Flame Charge and not boosted by intense sunlight. And Ash didn't know about the posionpowder beforehand, so again it doesn't/didn't matter.

Weaker doesn't really matter when it's still super effective. And as Swellow proved, weaker can still be hella strong.

Who was complaining about the type chart?? I was complaining about the fact that Fletchinder's battle was not handled that great.

And I would be fine with that rematch if Pikachu lost and the battle went on, but we all know that isn't happening. That also means that it's gonna be the Pikachu show again with another pokemon being the fall guy so he get more glory he doesn't need.

But as explained, it was handled fine. If you've got a Pokemon with multiple SE moves, and you know one does tonnes more damage than the other, what are you doing to do? Obviously spam the hell out of it.

Also, by saying "but we all know that isn't happening. That also means that it's gonna be the Pikachu show again" that means you've obviously seen the episode, months before a release date has even been announced, and know for a fact that he wins. In that case, please share with us everything you know about this episode which you've apparently had the great privilege of seeing months before anyone else....

Um no. Ash did exactly what Ramos wanted him to do. That's why Weepinbell beat him so easily is because he knew Ash's strategy already. Spamming only makes people aware of your moves and predictable.

I've watched every other Electric gym battle and all the other gyms this region to know that Pikachu isn't going down in the first battle. As much as I would love for the writers to actually put effort into writing the electric gym for once(barring Surge), they've proven that they're not gonna mess with the status quo. And before you say Volkner, that battle wasn't handled any better and he still jacked Torterra's win.

I think I know the reason why Frogadier got two wins in the gym. It probably has to do with the fact that Goomy was watching and it was to show Goomy that you can win anything despite having a disadvantage or big hurdle. It was probably to build up Goomy's self confidence which explains why Goomy was impressed at Frogadier. It also explains why Goomy voluntarily goes and tests its skills out in XY061.

Um no. Ash did exactly what Ramos wanted him to do. That's why Weepinbell beat him so easily is because he knew Ash's strategy already. Spamming only makes people aware of your moves and predictable.

I've watched every other Electric gym battle and all the other gyms this region to know that Pikachu isn't going down in the first battle. As much as I would love for the writers to actually put effort into writing the electric gym for once(barring Surge), they've proven that they're not gonna mess with the status quo. And before you say Volkner, that battle wasn't handled any better and he still jacked Torterra's win.

Then how come whenever I play Pokemon, I can spam one move and beat virtually the entire gym leaders' with it? They never catch on. And before you say "it's due to the AI", well, yes and no, the difference is that the main game isn't geared towards competitive play, and the anime tries to take this light-heartedness into consideration. You're taking this way too seriously.

And, again, the only way you can say for certain that Pikachu will "carry" the Electric Gym battle is for you to have actually WATCHED it, which, unless you have sneak-previews to the animation studios (or, at the very least, know the title), is impossible. And I wasn't going to say Volkner, because I've never watched that battle. I don't assume based on what I haven't seen.

Then how come whenever I play Pokemon, I can spam one move and beat virtually the entire gym leaders' with it? They never catch on. And before you say "it's due to the AI", well, yes and no, the difference is that the main game isn't geared towards competitive play, and the anime tries to take this light-heartedness into consideration. You're taking this way too seriously.

And, again, the only way you can say for certain that Pikachu will "carry" the Electric Gym battle is for you to have actually WATCHED it, which, unless you have sneak-previews to the animation studios (or, at the very least, know the title), is impossible. And I wasn't going to say Volkner, because I've never watched that battle. I don't assume based on what I haven't seen.

Because you can one shot pokemon in the games?? In the games, one pokemon can take out 6 pokemon each with only one move. I would love to see someone do that in the anime but the closest Ash has come to it is that dumb battle with Casey where Ash one shotted 3 pokemon.

In the anime, there is no turn based system which would make Ash's life a lot easier...there's no HP bar. That's the reason why game logic doesn't apply.

Ya well the Kalos gyms have made me cynical. I'll believe Pikachu won't star when we see footage of the other battles and Pikachu is only shown fighting Bunnelby.

Because you can one shot pokemon in the games?? In the games, one pokemon can take out 6 pokemon each with only one move. I would love to see someone do that in the anime but the closest Ash has come to it is that dumb battle with Casey where Ash one shotted 3 pokemon.

In the anime, there is no turn based system which would make Ash's life a lot easier...there's no HP bar. That's the reason why game logic doesn't apply.

Ya well the Kalos gyms have made me cynical. I'll believe Pikachu won't star when we see footage of the other battles and Pikachu is only shown fighting Bunnelby.
You know what, I am starting to think that the reason Pikachu was completely absent from the Coumarine Gym was so that it could do a complete sweep of the Lumiose Gym.

Well then if that's the case then you're right. Pikachu is THE one reason why I'm not looking forward to the Lumiose Gym.

Really?? Cuz most of your posts recently seem to suggest that you want Pikachu to be in every gym.

Anyways, I am happy that Frogadier got a good showing and didn't go the Monferno route and not do anything before evolution.

I really don't understand the animation choice they went with for Aerial Ace though.
You do realise that they were troll/sceptical posts right.

Yeah after this showing I think that we can safely say that Frogadier can be Ash's greatest water type yet especially since its improved a lot from a Froakie.

I think the reason they changed the Aerial Ace animation is because that the original animation was way too drawn out and Frogadier uses Aerial Ace multiple types in this episode so it was more feasible for the animators.

I figured but I never heard it from your mouth before.

But it was just his hand and feet glowing and him striking. I'm not talking about the OG animation with the white streaks, I'm talking about Frogadier animation specifically.

Peck hasn't been used two gyms in a row where it's super effective, that's my problem. Also Peck and Razor Wind would of gotten the same exact Speed Boost that Steel Wing would of gotten because the speed boost applies to all his moves. Against Jumpluff, the spam kind of made sense since it never attacked, however, Razor Wind would of been pretty helpful against Weepinbell as the only reason he was poisoned was because he got in close.

Peck is weaker than Flame Charge and not boosted by intense sunlight. And Ash didn't know about the posionpowder beforehand, so again it doesn't/didn't matter.

Weaker doesn't really matter when it's still super effective. And as Swellow proved, weaker can still be hella strong.

Because move Base Powers don't exist, right? And Swellow utilized Aerial Ace and Wing Attack far more than Peck.

Won't a title do? Since that's pretty much been the pattern so far?

Sure, But they might try to troll us and use Pikachu vs Bunnelby as the title with the way they are hyping that match.

Because move Base Powers don't exist, right? And Swellow utilized Aerial Ace and Wing Attack far more than Peck.

In the anime?? Not really. This was proven by how they made Fire Spin all powerful in the anime when it doesn't do squat in the game.

It doesn't matter if Peck was used less, the point is that when Swellow used it, it looked pretty bad ass and it did damage. Look at Swellow vs Venomoth for example.

Sure, But they might try to troll us and use Pikachu vs Bunnelby as the title with the way they are hyping that match.
But Pikachu vs Bunnelby is confirmed to be the first matchup and they only put the final match up in the episode title so it would be Pikachu vs Heliolisk/Luxray.

In the anime?? Not really. This was proven by how they made Fire Spin all powerful in the anime when it doesn't do squat in the game.

It doesn't matter if Peck was used less, the point is that when Swellow used it, it looked pretty bad ass and it did damage. Look at Swellow vs Venomoth for example.

That is literally the only example, along with Whirlpool (and it was only done to give said Pokemon more moves to utilize besides the standard Flamethrower, etc).

Anyway, Fletchinder isn't Swellow. The end result was a lot of Flame Charge usage and that's that.

That is literally the only example, along with Whirlpool (and it was only done to give said Pokemon more moves to utilize besides the standard Flamethrower, etc).

Anyway, Fletchinder isn't Swellow. The end result was a lot of Flame Charge usage and that's that.

Oh really?? Only one example?? How about Quick Attack then, or Pin Missile?? Vine Whip?? I could go on as there are plenty of weaker in game attacks which are a lot stronger in the anime then the game.

The point is it's not about the attack, it's about how the pokemon uses said attack.

OK, OK guys, so a Pokemon didn't use ONE move in a Gym Battle....it really isn't that big of a deal. ^^; It almost feels like this is all this is going to.

1rkhachatryan said:

The Japanese name for Aerial Ace is Tsubame Gaeshi and the attack is based on a sword technique of the same name developed by the samurai Sasaki Kojirou. Gekogashira's movements are a callback to the origin of this technique.

And I would be fine with that if they didn't already use a different animation and then also give him Cut. If this is the animation they are gonna stick with, then Cut is pretty much useless and should be replaced.

I am glad that Fletchinder didn't get the spotlight here (such a boring Pokémon), but Frogadier's victory over Gogoat was absurd. Ideally it would have lost to Weepinbell instead of Hawlucha losing, with the luchador winning against Gogoat. But oh well, when it isn't Pikachu, it is a starter getting most of the focus. Still, the battle was great and it was nice seeing someone from the Bellsprout family kicking butts again (I will never forget that Bellsprout from the Indigo League :p).

Lastly, I officially dislike the extremely overused opening song.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom