• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theory: Gen Seven's Third Game

Maybe instead of remakes for Sinnoh, we get sequels to them instead because some say remakes are too early. However, sequels to DP would be different to remakes and could be possible. Sequels of DP would be a good way to bring Sinnoh back and have the starters get mega evolutions without complaints of it being too early since they be sequels and not remakes. But this is just a guess and nothing more.

People suggested sequels for R/S instead of remakes and I never quite understood that logic. Much like the original R/S games, D/P have been long out of print and it would probably be difficult for kids to find good working copies of the game. The main difference from the R/S situation is that the 3DS could play DS games, so that isn't another problem.

Plus, I wouldn't say its too early in regards to the length of time. They came out ten years ago. That's long enough to where I don't think it would be too early for remakes. It's an interesting idea, but after they've already remade the first three generation, it's pretty likely that they'll go for D/P remakes. If D/P got sequels instead, then people could get upset over the special treatment they get compared to the other remakes. Not to mention it still involves making a sequel to a game for kids that most of them wouldn't have played through before. Besides that, we'll still get Mega Evolutions most likely in a D/P remake. I'm still not sure about it happening in this generation, but I don't think that they'll go for sequels for the same reason why I don't think that R/S sequels were ever a possibility.

The first two generations have already been remade and at least the first one is now accessible to young players via the Virtual Console. I think it's fair to say that if Game Freak want to give an old region the sequel treatment, they'll start from Kanto and possibly Johto.

I don't think that Sinnoh should have sequels. I have a strong feeling that it could possibly never have remakes despite my earlier thoughts. But that's just a hunch backed with some strong possible evidence.

With that same train of thought, I believe that Sun and Moon will be the only trains leaving the station. There won't be any other upgraded or different trains like the ones in Unova.

Pokémon Eclipse, single sequel, the legendary will be the strange souvenir Pokémon

I can understand being disappointed with X/Y, but I never really understood considering them incomplete and dismissing them as tech demos is going way too far too.

Honestly, if Game Freak really does want to get away from traditional third version games, that's for the best in my opinion. Third version games are outdated and they can do some interesting ideas with brand new games instead. I do like the idea of a single sequel game though. I don't know if they'd actually do that instead of making two sequels like they did for B2/W2, but that's probably the only way I could see them returning to some kind of single version game in the future.

The reason I call it a tech demo is because it was severely lacking in post-game, there were 70 new Pokémon, and I don't think the features lived up to their potential at all.
It was like they did the minimum they could possibly get away with and just put it out, which would have been fine if we'd had a third version.
Heck, BW, had more post-game than XY. I just think if you're not going to follow something up, make it as huge and complete as you possibly can. Past games had barely anything, and the third versions made up for it with extras that satisfied the feeling of needing more from the previous games. XY, to me, were basically just "it'll be time to remake Ruby/Sapphire soon, but we need a new Pokémon game on this console to excuse it. Let's just bang one out"
Hopefully Game Freak learned from this giant flaw in their logic (I still can't figure out why they put out such an empty mess) and gave Sun/Moon content.

The reason I call it a tech demo is because it was severely lacking in post-game, there were 70 new Pokémon, and I don't think the features lived up to their potential at all.
It was like they did the minimum they could possibly get away with and just put it out, which would have been fine if we'd had a third version.
Heck, BW, had more post-game than XY. I just think if you're not going to follow something up, make it as huge and complete as you possibly can. Past games had barely anything, and the third versions made up for it with extras that satisfied the feeling of needing more from the previous games. XY, to me, were basically just "it'll be time to remake Ruby/Sapphire soon, but we need a new Pokémon game on this console to excuse it. Let's just bang one out"
Hopefully Game Freak learned from this giant flaw in their logic (I still can't figure out why they put out such an empty mess) and gave Sun/Moon content.

That still doesn't make X/Y akin to a tech demo though. I can understand feeling like it didn't live up to its potential and I'd agree that it was rather lackluster with its storyline and characters, but calling the generation unfinished, a tech demo or even the bare minimum of what they could do seems to go too far. The games weren't anywhere near that bad for me. Even the shorter amount of new Pokemon didn't bother me too much after awhile because most of the designs were good.

I wouldn't say that third versions always did that or that the past games barely had anything themselves. Yellow is basically R/B with only a few bits of anime influences in it. Crystal ad a bit more with the Suicune plot, a female character for players to choose and the Battle Tower, but that wasn't a huge difference from G/S either in terms of overall content. That really didn't happen with third versions until either Emerald or Platinum. And I really don't recall people calling some of the older generations like D/P and B/W incomplete before Platinum and B2/W2 came out either. That seems to be pretty specific complaint for X/Y. I can understand being disappointed with the games or feeling lackluster about them, but that's different from considering them incomplete or just a demo. I think that really undermines a lot of the work they put in for the games, especially the technical aspects.

I do hope that Sun/Moon has more content or at the very least has better storylines and characters, but I mainly want to just enjoy them and see what the new region has to offer in general.

I feel that the reason games come out in pairs, is that they make more money. They are a business after all. So a single sequel game is something I don't see happening ever.

I feel that the reason games come out in pairs, is that they make more money. They are a business after all. So a single sequel game is something I don't see happening ever.
i doubt it. they've been doing pairs ever since the OG pair, likely even before they were even thinking about a bottom line (which i doubt they spend much time thinking about either). furthermore, we don't really know how many people actually buy both games. i would say it really just boils down to Game Freak pushing that "Pokemon bringing people together" thing that they always do.

That still doesn't make X/Y akin to a tech demo though. I can understand feeling like it didn't live up to its potential and I'd agree that it was rather lackluster with its storyline and characters, but calling the generation unfinished, a tech demo or even the bare minimum of what they could do seems to go too far. The games weren't anywhere near that bad for me. Even the shorter amount of new Pokemon didn't bother me too much after awhile because most of the designs were good.

I wouldn't say that third versions always did that or that the past games barely had anything themselves. Yellow is basically R/B with only a few bits of anime influences in it. Crystal ad a bit more with the Suicune plot, a female character for players to choose and the Battle Tower, but that wasn't a huge difference from G/S either in terms of overall content. That really didn't happen with third versions until either Emerald or Platinum. And I really don't recall people calling some of the older generations like D/P and B/W incomplete before Platinum and B2/W2 came out either. That seems to be pretty specific complaint for X/Y. I can understand being disappointed with the games or feeling lackluster about them, but that's different from considering them incomplete or just a demo. I think that really undermines a lot of the work they put in for the games, especially the technical aspects.

I do hope that Sun/Moon has more content or at the very least has better storylines and characters, but I mainly want to just enjoy them and see what the new region has to offer in general.
That's a fair point. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine to be honest. If I'm creating something and can add more to it then I will, I can't put out something unless it's as complete and full as it can possibly be.
And I also hate Ruby/Sapphire because of how empty the post-game is. But it at least had 135 new Pokémon so it didn't feel as lazy creatively. I have the opposite problem with D/P, I like the amount of post-game content, but it's as lazy as XY in terms of new Pokémon (imagine the evolved forms introduced as megas and you've got, what, 60 new and original Pokémon?), and personally I found the maps really generic with forgettable music.
I really think Black and White should be the example to follow now, except for how linear they were.

I'm not sure if I would want the new games to have a ton of new Pokemon. There are already 723 or so Pokemon not counting what has been revealed for Gen VII. Searching the Mega Evolution stones wouldn't have been as bad if Nintendo didn't leave the stones for ME's I actually wanted for postgame/post mega ring "upgrade" and making them a pain in the ass to track down.

I don't want there to be a third game, or a sequel. I'd like to see something unique, like maybe some new islands for Alola and a story that would be a side companion for the main Gen VII games.

I don't want there to be a third game, or a sequel. I'd like to see something unique, like maybe some new islands for Alola and a story that would be a side companion for the main Gen VII games.
New islands for Alola suggests sequels or a third version though. A whole new group of islands that is considered a new region might work though and Alola might be post game.

What about the same games as Sun and Moon, but you play from someone else's viewpoint? Maybe even the main villian?

What about the same games as Sun and Moon, but you play from someone else's viewpoint? Maybe even the main villian?
Don't know about that. Game Freak has never let players play a villain role in pokemon main series games. They can create new hero characters like they did for BW2 but I don't think we be playing as villains any time soon.

It sounds interesting, but I think it would probably be a bit too drastic change for a Pokemon game. We've always started out as a rookie trainer that are our silent avatars. Plus, I'm not sure if people would really be interested in playing a Pokemon game from a different person point of view. It would be a different experience, but it would still be playing through the same game again. Not to mention it would be kind of difficult to collect badges or challenge the Elite 4 if we're supposed to be a villain. I think that there are some series that could pull off that concept, but I don't think Pokemon is one of them.

Plus, how would the game know what the events of your playthrough of SM looked like? I'm no expert, but I would think that would probably be a bit too much information for something like the Memory Link.

If it has to assume a "true canon" version of events, then it would really just be a third version with new protagonists.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom