• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

No too sure how controversial these are or not, but...

-All the Gen 2 games are boring and slow. The level curve is atrocious, and the weirdest thing ever: It's a JOHTO game, after all, but it doesn't FELLS like the region is the focus. It's pretty weird to explain, but somehow Johto feels overshadowed and incomplete in t's own game. No wonder they gave Johto mons so many evolutions in Gen 4. And HGSS did little to nothing to fix these issues. Still think that being too close to Kanto was the main problem.

- ORAS was a MAJOR step up from RSE and it's one of the best the franchise has to offer imo.

-Which brings me to next point: I hated the Battle Frontier. Never had the patience to play through it and just felt like an sort of ''Elite 4 Strikes Back'' to me. Did not even blinked when they removed it from ORAS. I get that a lot of people liked it, but that could never be me tbh.

-Gen 4 is not that bad, since it did ''rounded up'' (don't know the best wording here sorry) the first 3 gens. But by the Lord was it slow. It felt like it dragged on itself. And it did not even felt like there was a rhythm either, somehow. When there were moments where it was supposed to have some high tension, but the slow pacing killed it. Like in the endgame, when you have to get up Mt. Coronet to stop Cyrus: there was meant to be a tense moment, but the fact that you have a long, slow and painful walk ALL the way up there was tiring and to be frank, in my first playthrough, I even forgot what I had to do up there. And the fact that Platinum barely fixed up some of it (like it only really did fixed the mon pool, but even that was poorly), and it was still too slow made it a snore.

-The post-game of BW2 was very good, one of the best of the franchise with lots of areas to explore, but the lack of a ''proper'' mission and/or older characters showing up besides the Genies does brings it down a lil to me. There should be more to do in that post-game story-wise imo.

-Gen 6 ain't that bad. But it did felt incomplete tho. I still think a Z game could've saved Kalos if they had done a proper sequel and actually fixed the mistakes they did.

-Megas are not a bad idea per se, but I hated how they used it. Giving it only to old, highly popular mons (and guess what? most being KANTO mons, just more of the same old) was a mistake. I get the marketing thing, but gen 1 starters and legendaries shouldn't haven gotten Mega Forms. There is no excuse to give neither Charizard and Mewtwo two megas. Instead of giving it to say, Granbull, Mismagius, Stoutland, Purugly, Jynx, Unfezant, Aromatisse, Florges, etc. And the fact that they deada** gave you ANOTHER starter in Kalos (guess form WHICH region) that could Mega Evolve isntead of giving you,,, you know,,, Mega Forms of the Kalos starters is always gonna be dumb. And my personal theory is that they saw how much people whined about not playing with their older mons and how much they hated the newer ones in gen 5 and decided to bring them back full force in gen 6.

(Sorta of unrelated but this is why Mega Lopunny is the best Mega to me: it used an unpopular mon, who had pretty bad stats, and gave it not only a good design who served as an upgrade from the OG without being too over the top (like Mega Sharped oopsss...) and following some logic, and gave it the stat boost it so longed hoped for.)

There should be more but I got tired lol

Granbull, Mismagius, Stoutland, Purugly, Jynx, Unfezant, Aromatisse, Florges, etc
Would anyone actually be excited about any of these? I mean, I get your point but would you or me or anyone actually be excited about Mega Granbull or Mega Purugly (I'll give you Mismagius, though. It sounds like it might have a damn cool Mega).

I'll give you the Charizard and Mewtwo having too Megas things too. Nobody even pays attention to Mega Charizard Y anyways (even though I think Ash should have gotten a Charizard Y Mega Stone and had a Charizard v Charizard battle with Alain). Likewise with Mewtwo X (though at least Pokken gave it recognition).

and the weirdest thing ever: It's a JOHTO game, after all, but it doesn't FELLS like the region is the focus. It's pretty weird to explain, but somehow Johto feels overshadowed and incomplete in t's own game.

In its historical context, I don't think this really is that strange. Gold & Silver were literally only the second entry in the series, made before the director torch was passed to Masuda, who held onto it for 13 years - which is a long time to codify, foster, and stabilize a "standard practice," if you will. The development process of the games is pretty formalized and steady now, but before 2000, it was kind of the Wild West. And what's more is that, the longer the series has gone on, the more the scope of the setting has increased. There is a far more concrete idea of "the Pokémon world" as a larger world unto itself that contains many different regions with their own cultures and customs than there was in the early days of the franchise, and that's something that is going to heavily inform creative development. The idea of "regions" as wholly distinct "nations" from one another simply didn't exist in the same way back then. Kanto and Johto were just slices of local Japan, and were approached in a less fictionalized manner - after all, just look at the terminology. The name "Kanto" and the term "region" are ripped straight from reality. Whereas referring to places like France, Hawaii, and the U.K. with the same terminology that is applied to Kanto, Kansai, Chubu, etc. doesn't really make sense from a real-world perspective, but the series has since fleshed out its setting and internal logic of it.

Giving each region an "identity" of its own really just wasn't something that had occurred to them as firmly back when they were working on Gold & Silver. The scope of the series wasn't as large, and the ways that things like new Pokémon and new locations would be justified weren't quite as nailed down. Hence the scarcity of the new, post-151 Pokémon in GSC, for instance - the logic there was that they were very newly discovered species, so they're only just starting to be noticed and observed. Ergo, the species that have already been discovered in the previous games are still going to be more common, as the rarity of the new ones is why we didn't see them back then.

Certainly I think that the way it all works now is better, but I can't fault them for not knowing the best way forward right from the start. Really, with all of that in mind, I think it's appreciable that Johto still has as much of its own culture as it does. I think it definitely feels more rural than Kanto, and there's an emphasis on both material and mythological history that was absent in Kanto.

Would anyone actually be excited about any of these? I mean, I get your point but would you or me or anyone actually be excited about Mega Granbull or Mega Purugly (I'll give you Mismagius, though. It sounds like it might have a damn cool Mega).

I'll give you the Charizard and Mewtwo having too Megas things too. Nobody even pays attention to Mega Charizard Y anyways (even though I think Ash should have gotten a Charizard Y Mega Stone and had a Charizard v Charizard battle with Alain). Likewise with Mewtwo X (though at least Pokken gave it recognition).
Yeah I get what you are saying but I do wish these Pokemon (and a lot of others too) could get it, cuz they would really benefit from having Megas, kinda like Mawile. Would that nescessarily mean that they would all go OU or Ubers? I don't think so. But they could've gave us some popular Pokemon AND give us some for the ones that REALLY need it. They could've done both, but decide to go pretty much solo on the latter.

Giving it only to old, highly popular mons (and guess what? most being KANTO mons, just more of the same old) was a mistake.
I agree with the Kanto pandering for megas, but several outside of those that are clearly not very popular got a mega. Are Audino, Abomasnow, Banette, Medicham, Aggron, Steelix, Glalie really popular? Sure, they have fans, but they are obscure in comparison to some of the most popular pokemon in the series and they are probably about as popular as the ones you mention that should have gotten a mega. And even some arguably not very popular Kanto mons like Beedrill, Pinsir, Kangaskahn and Aerodactyl got one as well.

I have complained about Kanto pandering for years now, but that pandering is inevitable. Marketing matters a lot in promotion pre-release, and of course they're gonna capitalize on popularity to try and sell copies. I do agree that sometimes they go way too far with that like giving Charizard and Mewtwo two megas, which was completely unnecessary, and people should give GF crap for that.

A lot more of the less popular pokemon should have gotten megas, that i definitely agree.

Last edited:
Granbull, Mismagius, Stoutland, Purugly, Jynx, Unfezant, Aromatisse, Florges, etc.
Umm I Don't Think Any Of These Deserve Megas, They Are Some Of The Worst Pokemon In My Opinion. (Other Than Florges and Mismagius) I'll Give You Another Underratted Mon, Seismitoad Who I Like And Deserved A Mega. Mega Aromatisse? Mega Unpleasant? Mega JYNX? Those Sound Lame.

Umm I Don't Think Any Of These Deserve Megas, They Are Some Of The Worst Pokemon In My Opinion. (Other Than Florges and Mismagius)
This is the Unpopular Opinions thread. You know what the phrase "unpopular opinions" implies, right? If saying that any of these Pokemon getting Megas is undeserved because "they suck", then I'd say that post belongs here :p

Anyway, my unpopular opinion is that I would like Megas and Z-Moves to come back with Dynamax for future games. I know the former two were retired because balancing would be hell, but I admit a sadistic part of me would like to see that chaos.

Also Mega Jynx and Mega Mr. Mime are if anything a chance to fix some of their design problems, would it not? I don't see why it'd be so terrible for them to get Megas. Jynx is admittedly very unlikely due to GameFreak being understandably reluctant to re-stir the controversy around her, since even a "fix" to her design would only draw attention to how thoughtless the base form was. As for Mr. Mime getting a Mega, I'm honestly not sure. It got a regional variant, and Slowbro is an indication that it is possible to have both, but that obviously doesn't mean anything with Megas will get regional variants or vice-versa.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion is that I would like Megas and Z-Moves to come back with Dynamax for future games. I know the former two were retired because balancing would be hell, but I admit a sadistic part of me would like to see that chaos.
I Doubt Gamefreak Will Make All 3 Return Probably The Reason They Didn't Remove Megaz In Gen 7 Is You Can Only Have Mega or Z-Moves On A Pokemon

Umm I Don't Think Any Of These Deserve Megas, They Are Some Of The Worst Pokemon In My Opinion. (Other Than Florges and Mismagius) I'll Give You Another Underratted Mon, Seismitoad Who I Like And Deserved A Mega. Mega Aromatisse? Mega Unpleasant? Mega JYNX? Those Sound Lame.

You do realize the point is that these Pokemon are just EXAMPLES of mons who could potentially be better competitively-wise due to receing a Mega, correct? You know, like an IDEA? And maybe since they are ''the worst'' as you said, why not give them a chance to be better?

And what's up with always calling Unfezant ''Unpleasant'' every time you post about it no matter which thread you are on? Dang man, we get it already.

And what's up with always calling Unfezant ''Unpleasant'' every time you post about it no matter which thread you are on? Dang man, we get it already.
I Liek To Call It Unpleasant
You do realize the point is that these Pokemon are just EXAMPLES of mons who could potentially be better competitively-wise due to receing a Mega, correct? You know, like an IDEA? And maybe since they are ''the worst'' as you said, why not give them a chance to be better?
I Don't Think They Deserve Megas

Back
Top Bottom