• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want more or less New Pokémon Species in Generation 7 and beyond?

As for the whole dolphin Pokémon thing that's been brought up, we do technically have one: Kyogre. Before anyone gets on my case about that, yes, I have read every comment in this thread and did see the post about Kyogre being based on an orca. Here's the thing: orcas are also known as killer whales, which are not actually whales but, get this, dolphins. And there you go, Kyogre is the first (and currently only) dolphin-based Pokémon. If you don't believe my reasoning, look it up for yourself, and you'll see that I'm right in this.

I thought Kygore was based on Leviathan.

As for the whole dolphin Pokémon thing that's been brought up, we do technically have one: Kyogre.
Yeah, but Moltres in Gen 1 didn't mean we couldn't have Ho-Oh in Gen 2. And Raikou in Gen 2 did not stop us from getting Manectric in Gen 3.

So yes, we could really use a Pokemon based on some kind of playful dolphin at some point.

I'd prefer more than were introduced in Gen VI - maybe 90-100. Not too many, but not too few either. Old Pokemon dominated XY because so few new Pokemon were introduced, and it took a bit away from the whole experience.

Yeah, but Moltres in Gen 1 didn't mean we couldn't have Ho-Oh in Gen 2. And Raikou in Gen 2 did not stop us from getting Manectric in Gen 3.

So yes, we could really use a Pokemon based on some kind of playful dolphin at some point.

Speaking of Raikou, I'm still holding out hope for (Legendary) Pokemon specifically based on the Azure Dragon, Vermillion Bird, White Tiger and Black Tortoise respectively.

My opinion on this topic: Yeah, I'd like more, but don't care too much. Maybe this amount next gen, and the 100 multiplier will match the gen number, and starting in Gen VIII, we get 100 Pokémon each gen to keep consistent. You know, how it was before Gen V screwed it up.

As for the whole dolphin Pokémon thing that's been brought up, we do technically have one: Kyogre. Before anyone gets on my case about that, yes, I have read every comment in this thread and did see the post about Kyogre being based on an orca. Here's the thing: orcas are also known as killer whales, which are not actually whales but, get this, dolphins. And there you go, Kyogre is the first (and currently only) dolphin-based Pokémon. If you don't believe my reasoning, look it up for yourself, and you'll see that I'm right in this.
Kyogre is based on the Leviathan with similarities with an orca, so it's not literally an orca based pokemon, what i want is a pokemon based DIRECTLY on a dolphin. Orcas are part of the oceanic dolphin family but they are not literally dolphins, what you are basically saying is that we already have a wolf pokemon because we have a bunch of pokemon based on different species of dogs since dogs and wolfs are part of the same family.

Last edited:
I'm actually happy they introduced only 69. I'm one of those few people who initially found filling the National Dex really daunting. Thankfully, trading online really helps to the point that I no longer find the Dex daunting. Unfortunately, accessing 3DS-compatible Wi-Fi is difficult in Sydney, due to the relative lack of compatible Wi-Fi spots themselves and the lack of information. (Off-topic, why the heck didn't Nintendo let us access Wi-Fi that requires passwords/user consent? And why the even bigger heck wouldn't Nintendo Australia inform us on the locations of accessible Wi-Fi spots, like Nintendo of America does??)

In other words, Nintendo really should work on streamlining Wi-Fi, and provide better info for additional 100+ mons/Gen to properly work. Also, GameFreak needs to cut down on legendaries like what they did for Gen 6.

Well, now the Kanto evolution families bump up the total to around 183 with Sylveon and the Johto/Sinnoh relatives. IDK if it makes it more balanced, but it's been really expanded.

If we include all of the evolutions and Mega Evolutions, then we get this:

Ghost: Gengar
Dragon: Mega Charizard X, Kingdra, Dragonite
Dark: Umbreon, Mega Gyarados
Steel: Magnezone, Steelix, Scizor
Fairy: Clefable, Wigglytuff, Mr. Mime, Sylveon

So if we consider 4 families to be the minimum requirement for a decent balance, it still isn't balanced. We need 3 Ghost, 1 Dragon, 2 Dark, and 1 Steel type families to round things out, which would put the total around 200ish.

Well hopefully future Mega Evolutions, regular Evolutions and Eeveelutions will help balance that out. We still need a Dragon, Steel and Ghost Eeveelution. That would balance out both Dragon and Steel.

And giving Marowak a Ground-Ghost [Mega] Evolution (which would reference the Lavender Town plotline) as well as Jynx getting an Ice/Ghost [Mega] Evolution (referencing its shared origins with Froslass in the yuki-onna) would finish balancing Ghost.

For Dark, Hypno could [mega] evolve into some Psychic/Dark Pied Piper-style child kidnapper. It already did kidnap a child in the Generation 1 remakes. And the final Dark type could be Raticate, [Mega] evolving into a Normal/Dark type. Since it's an early rodent, I'd doubt that. But since Ninetales is always described as having supernatural powers and the anime has always shown it as sort of a dark figure, I could see it Mega Evolving into a Dark type.

Ghost - Eevee, Marowak, Jynx
Dragon - Eevee
Steel - Eevee
Dark - Hypno, Raticate or Ninetales

Giving these Pokémon Evolutions or Mega Evolutions would definitely balance out Generation 1's families. But it'd be completely balanced if you just lumped all Kanto and Johto families, too. :)

I'm pretty sure GF is not running out of ideas for pokemon, there are still dozen, probably hundred of species of animals and plants they still haven't based a pokemon off of and the fact they haven't done a pokemon based on a dolphin, wich is one of the most common and well known species, is baffling to me.
^ There are actually far more than just hundreds of animal and plant species not yet seen in Pokémon. What you might be describing is one-word common names, which vary between languages (for instance, English has the broad term lobster to cover what other languages would divide into clawed lobsters/clawless lobsters using completely different words).

Anyhoo there are innumerable species/types/whatever of animals, plants, fungi, other life-forms, viruses, minerals, objects, pop-culture references, abstractions, legendary things, combinations of the aforementioned, etc. etc. And GF have probably used the same thing before with success - cf. Latios and Latias and Garchomp as "jet-dragons", but with the latter having a bit of shark in there too.

This. There are so many species on Earth, we haven't even met them all yet... Safe to say GF won't ever run out of ideas... We haven't even gotten a proper Kangaroo! Kangaskhan seems more like an ape than a marsupial. Where's our Koala? Our Dolphin? We JUST got Squids and Lions this Gen, something you'd think they have done in first Gen. I don't think we've gotten a clownfish, or warthog. We've yet to get so many of the most obvious plants and animals that there's no way they're done. I'd like more fruit-based Pokémon like Cherrim and Cherubi.

Speaking of Raikou, I'm still holding out hope for (Legendary) Pokemon specifically based on the Azure Dragon, Vermillion Bird, White Tiger and Black Tortoise respectively.

Never heard of them. Link?

I will admit that I was disappointed to discover that there were only 70 (72, with Hoopa and Vocarion (?)) new Pokemon this Gen. I was hoping for a number closer to what the other Gens introduced (not Gen V though). Even if it wasn't that much... even 90 would have been good. Though I love pretty much all of the new Pokemon, I feel like we're missing something. Like how we're missing a Water/Flying-type this Gen, or more than one Bug-type..

Well, now the Kanto evolution families bump up the total to around 183 with Sylveon and the Johto/Sinnoh relatives. IDK if it makes it more balanced, but it's been really expanded.

If we include all of the evolutions and Mega Evolutions, then we get this:

Ghost: Gengar
Dragon: Mega Charizard X, Kingdra, Dragonite
Dark: Umbreon, Mega Gyarados
Steel: Magnezone, Steelix, Scizor
Fairy: Clefable, Wigglytuff, Mr. Mime, Sylveon

So if we consider 4 families to be the minimum requirement for a decent balance, it still isn't balanced. We need 3 Ghost, 1 Dragon, 2 Dark, and 1 Steel type families to round things out, which would put the total around 200ish.

Well hopefully future Mega Evolutions, regular Evolutions and Eeveelutions will help balance that out. We still need a Dragon, Steel and Ghost Eeveelution. That would balance out both Dragon and Steel.

And giving Marowak a Ground-Ghost [Mega] Evolution (which would reference the Lavender Town plotline) as well as Jynx getting an Ice/Ghost [Mega] Evolution (referencing its shared origins with Froslass in the yuki-onna) would finish balancing Ghost.

For Dark, Hypno could [mega] evolve into some Psychic/Dark Pied Piper-style child kidnapper. It already did kidnap a child in the Generation 1 remakes. And the final Dark type could be Raticate, [Mega] evolving into a Normal/Dark type. Since it's an early rodent, I'd doubt that. But since Ninetales is always described as having supernatural powers and the anime has always shown it as sort of a dark figure, I could see it Mega Evolving into a Dark type.

Ghost - Eevee, Marowak, Jynx
Dragon - Eevee
Steel - Eevee
Dark - Hypno, Raticate or Ninetales

Giving these Pokémon Evolutions or Mega Evolutions would definitely balance out Generation 1's families. But it'd be completely balanced if you just lumped all Kanto and Johto families, too. :)

I highly doubt all of that would happen, and definitely not anytime soon. It'd be much easier to just add families from other generations into the Kanto Dex. And not just Johto Pokemon, but Pokemon from Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos as well (which at this point, you'd need to anyway to have enough Ghost types in the Dex).

Last edited:
I would like 100 Pokémon per gen. This time around we got pretty charismatic Pokémon but I wanted more than 69 for sure. The disappointment when I found out... THE HORROR! THE TRAGEDY!

However, IF they do less than 100 Pokémon, I feel like the regional Dex should only be 120 or so. Like what was the deal with 454 Pokémon, only 69 of which were new? Horrible IMO.

454 was a little much, yeah, but 120 would be the opposite extreme. If you make the regional dex too small, the game starts to lack variety and you start to get situations like DP's where you only had a handful of options for each type (remember how the only Fire types in the Sinnoh Dex were Infernape and Rapidash? Stuff like that). IMO, the ideal Dex size is around 200-300.

And Magmortar.
magmortar wasn't in the d/p regional dex.

I would like 100 Pokémon per gen. This time around we got pretty charismatic Pokémon but I wanted more than 69 for sure. The disappointment when I found out... THE HORROR! THE TRAGEDY!

However, IF they do less than 100 Pokémon, I feel like the regional Dex should only be 120 or so. Like what was the deal with 454 Pokémon, only 69 of which were new? Horrible IMO.

454 was a little much, yeah, but 120 would be the opposite extreme. If you make the regional dex too small, the game starts to lack variety and you start to get situations like DP's where you only had a handful of options for each type (remember how the only Fire types in the Sinnoh Dex were Infernape and Rapidash? Stuff like that). IMO, the ideal Dex size is around 200-300.

And Magmortar.

Oh and what about Magby and Magmar?

And Magmortar.

again, not in the d/p pokedex

And Magmortar.

All three were in the Platinum Dex, dear.

And Magmortar.

The only fire types in D/P dex were the Rapidash line and the Infernape line. And yes the Magmortar line was in Platinum dex.

Last edited:
@Royal_Qeca; None of the Pokemon from 152-210 were in DP's Sinnoh Dex, they were only in Platinum. So no Magmortar, no Flareon, and no Houndoom, the only two fire types were Infernape and Rapidash.

And Magmortar.

Platinum fixed it. I only said D/P.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom