• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want more or less New Pokémon Species in Generation 7 and beyond?

I didn't really use Fire types in my D/P/Pt playthroughs so I actually never noticed the lack of fire types. #Oops

But both Kanto and Unova had a fairly good balance of types and they both had 150-ish Dexes. I think 210 would be a good size for a Regional Dex. 10 choices for each Pokémon type, plus 30 extra Pokémon just for kicks.

As long as there's a good variety of types in the pool of Pokémon, it shouldn't really matter how big or small the pool is. Kanto brought us the vast majority of Poison types, and yet we still had a decent balance of every other type (except Dark and Steel. Even fairy has a large stake in the original 151 now!) so who knows?

I still want future designs to have as much thought and care put into them as this one did. If we get the first ever batch of 200 Pokémon in Generation 7, I won't mind if they all have the Generation 6 feel lol

Kanto's actually wasn't balanced at all. Even if you ignore the types that were introduced in future generations, there's only one Ghost type and one Dragon type (two if you count Mega Charizard X). Kanto is going to need like, at least 20-30 more Pokemon before it becomes more balanced. Unova barely worked, but I think they intentionally gave us a varied set of new Pokemon because they wanted to have a Pokedex solely comprising of new Pokemon. No other generation works out that nicely, there's always some kind of balance missing. Which is where older Pokemon come in, they fill in the gaps that the new ones can't fill. Anyway, I don't think the "10 Pokemon per type" system would work out nicely either, they should just increase it to whatever number it takes for it to be balanced.

Well, now the Kanto evolution families bump up the total to around 183 with Sylveon and the Johto/Sinnoh relatives. IDK if it makes it more balanced, but it's been really expanded.

I certainly want less. We already have almost 800 Pokémon, that is A LOT. Plus, even for the most hardcore fans, it is already hard to remember the names of every Pokémon, not to mention types, abilities, etc. More isn't always better. If they keep introducing 100 or more Pokémon in every new generation, I can see my interest in the franchise finally dying and I don't want that to happen, since Pokémon accompanied me for most of my lifetime and I still love the franchise. Pokémon X & Y had a lot of flaws and they are some of the "less good" Pokémon games out there, but the amount of Pokémon wasn't one of those flaws IMO.

I really don't care how much there are as long as they're actually good, and not useless gimmicks (I'm looking at you Luvdisc, Plusle, Minun, and the baby Pokémon)

I like baby pokemon...
But yes about the gimmicks, unless of course the gimmicky pokemon are actually useful OR evolutions of previously gimmicky pokemon (look, Luvdisc, PLusle and minun all need to have SOMETHING to improve them!)

I'd like too see more, but I have a feeling game freak is running out of ideas... I mean, just look at some of them! [glares at aromatisse and barbacle]

While I'd rather see more Mega Evolution explored and absolutely no new legendaries added there are a few Pokemon that come to mind.

They at least need new legendaries to use as mascots, which is what happened this gen. So I don't think they could do any less.

Yeah I definitely don't see Game Freak giving Legendary Pokémon the shaft anytime soon. I really wanted a Fairy quartet this generation based on the four elements...

1) Water - Water/Fairy
2) Fire - Fire/Fairy
3) Earth - Ground/Fairy
4) Air - Flying/Fairy

Also on the subject of mascots I will say that it could perhaps be nice if they shook things up next generation and went a different route with the box arts.

Oh my. That does sound like an interesting concept indeed! *___* And for the first time, instead of a trio we will have a Legendary Quartet!

actually, the musketerrs were a quartet. Keldeo, Virizion, Cobalion, and Terriakon.

I think the Kalos approach was the right idea, especially considering how many pokemon we already have. They should give us small numbers of (generally) good quality pokemon at a time, and also hold back on legendaries, since they just aren't special when there're so many. I remember first playing black when there was a large new generation and no old pokemon. I had some nice surprises, but largely, I felt a tad lost or even unwelcome. I never did catch very many things, and even at the end I was using a team of five. It's far better to ease things in than force them at us.

One thing that's definitely looking up is the lack of new evolutions or prevolutions. Since gen 5, the only one of these is sylveon, and even that was justified because it introduced the fairy type to us. I can remember really liking some old pokemon like magmar and electabuzz, and then seeing them butchered by the creation of magmortar and electivire. I say, 'no more'. Not even more eeveelutions. We have enough of those little darlings as it is.

I think one thing they got very badly wrong in gen 6 was the amount of megas introduced. There are too many megas, I feel, for a first appearance. We could easily have managed with only about half as many, maybe less, especially since (correct me if I'm wrong) only 4 actually appeared in the story. It also doesn't help that most of them are for already-overpowered pokemon like scizor and alakazam. They had the right idea with mawile and absol. There're so many already that I can't see they actually can make that many more. And I really don't want them to.

One thing that's definitely looking up is the lack of new evolutions or prevolutions. Since gen 5, the only one of these is sylveon, and even that was justified because it introduced the fairy type to us. I can remember really liking some old pokemon like magmar and electabuzz, and then seeing them butchered by the creation of magmortar and electivire. I say, 'no more'. Not even more eeveelutions. We have enough of those little darlings as it is.

I think one thing they got very badly wrong in gen 6 was the amount of megas introduced. There are too many megas, I feel, for a first appearance. We could easily have managed with only about half as many, maybe less, especially since (correct me if I'm wrong) only 4 actually appeared in the story. It also doesn't help that most of them are for already-overpowered pokemon like scizor and alakazam. They had the right idea with mawile and absol. There're so many already that I can't see they actually can make that many more. And I really don't want them to.
There are "good" and "bad" cross-generational evolutions just like Mega Evolutions, but I think that the good far outweighs the bad for the former (with the opposite being the case for the latter). To say that there should be no cross-generational evolutions whatsoever sounds unreasonable to me. There are still Pokémon with particularly mediocre stats with flexible designs, so what could possibly be the harm in giving them well-designed evolutions? Game Freak are more likely to go overboard with Mega Evolutions than with regular evolutions. By the way, they've actually said in an interview that Sylveon isn't meant to be the last Eeveelution, although I agree that we already have enough of those.

That said, I think that most Pokémon that are lacking competitively, would be better off with reasonable stat upgrades (not just new moves or abilities) than with any kind of evolution. Oddly enough, XY are the first games to revise base stats, but Game Freak merely added 10 points to a single stat for a handful of three-stage evolutions (the exception being Pikachu, which got additions to two stats). There is no reason not to make more significant changes to Pokémon that actually need them, and this would remove the need for altering their designs.

Last edited:
Since the pokemon species are supposed to reflect the the organisms of the world ( and some inanimate objects to a degree), I believe that there are so many things that have not yet been turned into pokemon and thus GF still has so many ideas to work with. That said, the diversity of planet Earth on every level makes it only logical that GF would try to create more mons to cover as much things as possible. Heck some of the most popular animals have yet to be done. I still want a wolf, a tiger, a Chinese dragon and a cherry blossom pokemons to name a few.

While I'd rather see more Mega Evolution explored and absolutely no new legendaries added there are a few Pokemon that come to mind.

They at least need new legendaries to use as mascots, which is what happened this gen. So I don't think they could do any less.

Yeah I definitely don't see Game Freak giving Legendary Pokémon the shaft anytime soon. I really wanted a Fairy quartet this generation based on the four elements...

1) Water - Water/Fairy
2) Fire - Fire/Fairy
3) Earth - Ground/Fairy
4) Air - Flying/Fairy

Also on the subject of mascots I will say that it could perhaps be nice if they shook things up next generation and went a different route with the box arts.

Oh my. That does sound like an interesting concept indeed! *___* And for the first time, instead of a trio we will have a Legendary Quartet!

actually, the musketerrs were a quartet. Keldeo, Virizion, Cobalion, and Terriakon.

This has already been addressed by another Forum User, to which I responded with:

"Okay second. But a quartet that are all readily available in-game instead of the last member through an event."

:p

There are "good" and "bad" cross-generational evolutions just like Mega Evolutions, but I think that the good far outweighs the bad for the former (with the opposite being the case for the latter). To say that there should be no cross-generational evolutions whatsoever sounds unreasonable to me. There are still Pokémon with particularly mediocre stats with flexible designs, so what could possibly be the harm in giving them well-designed evolutions? Game Freak are more likely to go overboard with Mega Evolutions than with regular evolutions. By the way, they've actually said in an interview that Sylveon isn't meant to be the last Eeveelution, although I agree that we already have enough of those.

Hmm, maybe I phrased that badly. I'm not completely and utterly against cross-generational evolutions, I just dislike quite a lot of them. I'm rather picky as it is, so that could just be my tastes, rather than the cross-generational thing. I appreciate some, typically the branch-off evolutions, like froslass, gallade, etc, and also the 'optional' ones like scizor which aren't wholly improvements to the originals. There are some more which I like, like weavile, but generally I don't like splitting them between generations, partly because it messes up the pokedex. True, I generally don't appreciate them (probopass, electivire, lickilicky, tangrowth, etc, etc.) but that's just my opinion. Oh, and technically speaking, my favourite pokemon, umbreon, is admittedly cross-generational. So I don't hate them all.

I think in many cases, they were a necessary evil, since when gamefreak made the early generations, they clearly were lacking the experience they have now with designing pokemon. A lot of the designs were good, but a lot weren't, and a lot should have evolved but didn't. This leads us to our new evolutions. I still don't like prevolutions, though, but that's a technicality. Anyway, my point is now that gamefreak has more experience making pokemon, they're capable of giving pokemon all the evolutions they need from the start, in their own generation. I get the idea this may have been what they were doing, what with rounding off a lot of new evolutions in gen 4, then having none in gen 5 and only sylveon in gen 6, but I may be mistaken. Especially with what you said about sylveon maybe not being the last of the eeveelutions. Although it might be interesting if they brought out a counterpart to eevee, which also has a set of split evolutions, hopefully not as many, but it could still be interesting.

I agree that the megas are more what we need to worry about. I think they were quite careless with how many they put into XY, which means that they'll either have to seriously slow down on putting them in, or continue to overload us. I'm praying to Arceus they do the former. I can't actually think of anything else I think should get a mega, in the immediate future at any rate. Except dunsparce.

That said, I think that most Pokémon that are lacking competitively, would be better off with reasonable stat upgrades (not just new moves or abilities) than with any kind of evolution. Oddly enough, XY are the first games to revise base stats, but Game Freak merely added 10 points to a single stat for a handful of three-stage evolutions (the exception being Pikachu, which got additions to two stats). There is no reason not to make more significant changes to Pokémon that actually need them, and this would remove the need for altering their designs.

Agreed. They definitely need to do some of this. Not just stats, but more moves as well. XY had lots more moves than BW, especially with the introduction of the fairy type, but (correct me if I'm wrong) only 5 more TMs and no move tutors. Tragic. If they make Z or XY2, we'll need our move tutors back, that's one thing for sure. Then in gen 7, I think we'll need a fair load of extra TMs. But anyway, I'm getting off topic, and I can't find a clear way back on topic, so I'll end.

Well, now the Kanto evolution families bump up the total to around 183 with Sylveon and the Johto/Sinnoh relatives. IDK if it makes it more balanced, but it's been really expanded.

If we include all of the evolutions and Mega Evolutions, then we get this:

Ghost: Gengar
Dragon: Mega Charizard X, Kingdra, Dragonite
Dark: Umbreon, Mega Gyarados
Steel: Magnezone, Steelix, Scizor
Fairy: Clefable, Wigglytuff, Mr. Mime, Sylveon

So if we consider 4 families to be the minimum requirement for a decent balance, it still isn't balanced. We need 3 Ghost, 1 Dragon, 2 Dark, and 1 Steel type families to round things out, which would put the total around 200ish.

I'd like too see more, but I have a feeling game freak is running out of ideas... I mean, just look at some of them! [glares at aromatisse and barbacle]
I'm pretty sure GF is not running out of ideas for pokemon, there are still dozen, probably hundred of species of animals and plants they still haven't based a pokemon off of and the fact they haven't done a pokemon based on a dolphin, wich is one of the most common and well known species, is baffling to me.

^ There are actually far more than just hundreds of animal and plant species not yet seen in Pokémon. What you might be describing is one-word common names, which vary between languages (for instance, English has the broad term lobster to cover what other languages would divide into clawed lobsters/clawless lobsters using completely different words).

Anyhoo there are innumerable species/types/whatever of animals, plants, fungi, other life-forms, viruses, minerals, objects, pop-culture references, abstractions, legendary things, combinations of the aforementioned, etc. etc. And GF have probably used the same thing before with success - cf. Latios and Latias and Garchomp as "jet-dragons", but with the latter having a bit of shark in there too.

I don't buy the "it's either quality or quantity" argument, because it assumes the same labour-hours in each generation's production cycle (character design teams have varied over the years), and I'm not seeing any compelling difference between a generation's Pokémon and another's.

E: So I'd say I'd like more rather than fewer, if only because there's a greater chance of me finding new favourites. I'm somewhat more interested in the number of items though, which I definitely want to see increase drastically.

Last edited:
It really depends on how well they're done IMO. Like, gen 5 introduced a ton of Pokémon that were bad. Gen 6 got by on fewer mons cause they were cool.

I can't believe it took them as long as it did to make a t-Rex.

I'm not asking for like 150+ every gen or anything but I... just want more than 69. How about around 90/95?

I would like 100 Pokémon per gen. This time around we got pretty charismatic Pokémon but I wanted more than 69 for sure. The disappointment when I found out... THE HORROR! THE TRAGEDY!

However, IF they do less than 100 Pokémon, I feel like the regional Dex should only be 120 or so. Like what was the deal with 454 Pokémon, only 69 of which were new? Horrible IMO.

454 was a little much, yeah, but 120 would be the opposite extreme. If you make the regional dex too small, the game starts to lack variety and you start to get situations like DP's where you only had a handful of options for each type (remember how the only Fire types in the Sinnoh Dex were Infernape and Rapidash? Stuff like that). IMO, the ideal Dex size is around 200-300.

And Magmortar.

Last edited:
My opinion on this topic: Yeah, I'd like more, but don't care too much. Maybe this amount next gen, and the 100 multiplier will match the gen number, and starting in Gen VIII, we get 100 Pokémon each gen to keep consistent. You know, how it was before Gen V screwed it up.

As for the whole dolphin Pokémon thing that's been brought up, we do technically have one: Kyogre. Before anyone gets on my case about that, yes, I have read every comment in this thread and did see the post about Kyogre being based on an orca. Here's the thing: orcas are also known as killer whales, which are not actually whales but, get this, dolphins. And there you go, Kyogre is the first (and currently only) dolphin-based Pokémon. If you don't believe my reasoning, look it up for yourself, and you'll see that I'm right in this.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom