• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was expecting this behavior from Trump so no surprise there, but as naive of me as it was I thought that Republicans at least had enough sense to know when it's time to quit and stop following the man down the hole he's digging. They're all just making themselves look more and more pathetic at this point.

The Republican base is the Trump base. This is why almost all Republican politicians are silent on Biden's victory. They can't admit Trump lost, since there's genuine fear that Trump will then blame other GOP politicians for "backstabbing" him and the Trump voter base will then sit out the runoff election in Georgia leading to Dems taking the senate.

It's becoming obvious that the whole US government will remain in limbo until January.

And I'd say that every single Republican in power that is supporting this nonsense also needs to be kicked out.

Sometimes I worry that there hasn't been enough of an effort to turn Trump into a millstone around the neck of the GOP, and that they'll be able to cut him loose and say that he was the problem all along, not the party itself. When in reality, none of the last four years would have happened if any of them had at any point developed a spine and stood up to him. It would have only taken four Republican Senators to turn around and caucus with the Democrats to break McConnell's iron grip on the Senate, but of course that never happened. None of them (not even those faux-"principled" charlatans McCain and Romney) had any problem with Mitch's willful negligence in holding Trump to accountability, so they're all complicit. Tsk-tsking Trump in the media doesn't mean jack if you don't take any tangible steps to reprimand him.

But other times, I'm a little more optimistic, because the Republican party has pretty much committed itself to outright fascism and open bigotry, and they can't really walk away from that now. Trump himself is a distillation of the cruel, malignant ogre that the party truly is underneath its pressed suits and "traditional values," and while I think having that out in the open is somewhat useful in terms of being able to point to a clear example of what the GOP truly represents, I also think (hope?) that there's maybe just a fundamental ceiling on the percentage of the country that they expect to be on their side without like, going around and actively silencing dissent. I think it would be hard to win most people over to what the GOP stands for at this point. Obviously they made a few gains in the recent election, but right now I think I'm more inclined to believe that was more indicative of poor coordination on the Democrats' part than of any significant appeal of right-wing ideology. Or maybe I'm a fool. But I hope not.

Oh, and if you're wondering how all these lawsuits are going...

View: https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1326345253360635904

Ugh. I know that pointing out Republican hypocrisy by now is like saying, "Wow, the sky's pretty blue today!", but this just irritates me. The party of fIsCaL rEsPoNsIbIlItY and lAw & oRdEr is now wasting valuable time and money just to troll the judiciary. Sycophantic scumbags. If nothing else, at least they're obviously panicking and scrambling for whatever they can get a hold of instead of launching a strong, coordinated resolution to subvert the election.

Worth remembering: Trump can't pull off a coup without near-total support from the military, which, by all indications, he doesn't have right now.
The military leadership hates Trump for the most part, and among the rank and file he has pockets of support, but they're louder than they are numerous.

With that said, however, he has the near-unanimous support of the police, so there is a danger in that.

With that said, however, he has the near-unanimous support of the police, so there is a danger in that.
But do they like him enough to commit treason? That’s the all-important question.

It pisses me off that the democrats haven't been able to get control of the senate in years. Mitch McConnel should not have any power.

Yes, absolutely. Cops tend to fly the blue lives matter flag before the american one nowadays.
Also I wanna point out how much I hate that blue lives matter flag. Blue lives matter is nothing more than a racist counter protest to BLM.

I'm expecting two back to back red waves.
I have a hard time seeing that. The only 2022 Senators I’d be worried about are Kelly (AZ) and Hassan (NH). Everyone else should be in good shape.

I have a hard time seeing that. The only 2022 Senators I’d be worried about are Kelly (AZ) and Hassan (NH). Everyone else should be in good shape.
Midterms usually favor the party not in the White House. Had Trump won in 2020 then we would have had a massive blue tsunami in 2022.

Democrats don't have a good Senate map in 2022.
Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Florida are all extremely doable pickups. If they play their cards right, I'd extend that to Indiana, Missouri, and Kentucky. If this election has proven anything, it's that if you put in the work, you can reap dividends. Georgia and Arizona didn't flip on their own.

I'd say that running Nina Turner in Ohio, John Fetterman in Pennsylvania, and Charles Booker in Kentucky immediately puts those states in striking distance. Fetterman in particular would win in a cakewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom