• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW058 - Dent and Pod, The Brothers Battle! Baoppu VS Yanappu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the TV Tokyo Program, these are the people/Pokemon appearing.

Team Rocket is here, yet again.

Oshawott, Tepig, Pansage and Pansear appear as well.

(Oi, people are going to complain about Tepig and Oshawott are here aren't they?)

Chili AND Cress are here, unless it's a flashback.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/program/detail/21304_201112081900.html

Last edited:
Oh yes and on the off screen training; If you can point out that Pod is obviously training his Pokémon off screen - and not just through various Gym Battles - then why can't you point out the same for Dent (and Satoshi and Iris)? Sure they all may not be constantly training their Pokémon (like, say, Shooty obviously is) but there must be some training going on. No nitpicking with this.

Anyway, back on topic, a summary-

Quick and dirty:
"While Satoshi is training for his gym battle with Yacon, Pod suddenly shows up and challenges Dent to a battle, claiming he wants to see how far Dent has come as a trainer. Dent wins easily despite Pod's type advantage, and Pod starts fighting with his Baoppu, blaming it for the loss. It turns out Pod's gym leader career has fallen into a slump, and he has run away from the gym after a fight with Corn."
Aw poor Pod, this is sounding rather upsetting. How could you not feel for the guy with all these problems he's having?

I said it once and I'll say it again- As Dent is most likely going to be involved in all this (Pod is his brother after all) I'm so glad there's finally going to be an episode were Dent is part of the focus of an emotional and serious situation. I love Dent's fun side and all, but at the same time I enjoy it when characters I like are involved in some kind of problem whenever it's theirs or someone else's. Some brotherly bonding between all three brothers and a flashback of the Sanyou triplets past, preferably in their younger days (as well as the flashback to Pod and Corn quarrelling) and I will be completely satisfied. And I hope to see Dent helping Pod to solve his problems.

Last edited:
Aren't you contrdicting yourself here? A deus ex machina is a previously unintroduced outside force that solves an unsolvable problem in an extremely unlikely way, but you say that Yanappu could have battled Baoppu on its own with its own skills because he had other options and the elements introduced in the story point to Yanappu and Dent to be the stronger team. If Yanappu had never won a single battle, was consistently portrayed as extremely weak and unable to battle, but then magically learn a super powerful grass move that totally obliterates its opponent in the semifinals of a tournament for example, then I would see your point. Yanappu, much like Buizel as AK pointed out, was able to battle and had strenghtened itself to the point were learning a new move is just an organic next logical step. Ultimately, the move isn't used to circumvent development or magically wrap up plots, so it's not a dem.
The fact Yanappu has been struggling all match and learn a new move and wipes the floor with Baoppu is a deus ex machina. Since Baoppu clearly would have won, since Pod trained him and taught him Nitro Charge. But, *poof* just like that, Yanappu wins and learns a new move in the midst of the battle despite have attacks that should be able to handle Baoppu already, I could understand if Yanappu was out of options. But, no just an attempt to give Yanappu another great move, despite having not any training and only beating a Mebujika and Mijumaru(offscreen).

The win is a mean, not an end. The writers didn't want Dent to win, they wanted to explore the dynamics between him and his brother. The battle and Chili's loss is a pretext to that. I'm kinda psyched to see Dent helping out Pod and Baoppu reconcile and be more in synch and a better team. Hopefully, they can both grow and develop from this. as it's a good opportunity to showcase Dent's sommeliering skills, but even if the writersdon't, I'm just glad we're getting some more interactions between them, cause they look entertaining and even compelling.
I respectively disagree. Seems like another shot for Dento to once again come in and save the day, while Pod develops. Pod runs away, and obviously Dento through 17 mins or so of screen time fixes his problem.

The fact Yanappu has been struggling all match

The summary says that Dent wins their initial match easily, the preview shows that Yanappu is dodging Baoppu's attacks quite easily and Pod has consistantly been portrayed as not being the best trainer, there's really no evidence whatsoever pointing out to a struggle. The writers are just building on the characterization they've done already of the characters and their pokémon, being actually consequent with that initial battle.

But for all we know, the images in the preview of the clash of Nitro Charge and Seed Bomb/Rock Tomb might be from a rematch, whose outcome is not yet known.

I could understand if Yanappu was out of options.

That would be the textbook definition of a deus ex machina. Outside force, insurmountable problem, unlikely way. But here, Yanappu isn't facing a problem it can't solve, since Dent and Yanappu are apparantly winning easily and Yanappu had other options and some quality battles under its belt, so it's completely believable that it would learn a new move, especially when the new move isn't being used to get it out of a pinch it was completely unprepared for and lacked the skills to get out of.

only beating a Mebujika and Mijumaru(offscreen)

and Bel's Chaobu... and a Bassrao... and Team Rocket's pokémon... and several wild pokémon... as well as being more than able to hold its own against Satoshi's Mijumaru and the Subway Masters.

Pod runs away, and obviously Dento through 17 mins or so of screen time fixes his problem.

I think Dent will help Pod fix his own problems rather than fix them for him, since it's not a problem that can be solved by someone else. Pod must come to the realization of what he did wrong on his own and work on his confidence and skill has a trainer. That's not something Dent can do for him, he can only accompany him through that. Though, time will tell what route the writers go with this, but I'm confident I'll be entertained and moved by the final result. I can't wait for this episode.

I've been wondering for a while whether all three triplets were Sommeliers, and from what I can gather about the episode, it seems to me that maybe Dento is the only Sommelier triplet, or at least, it's pretty apparent to me that Pod is not one. I don't see a Sommelier behaving like that toward their own Pokémon, blaming it for his own shortcomings. Even Cabernet, who acts somewhat immaturely, treats her Pokémon with respect.

I'm really looking forward to this episode, and (as always) I hope for some good character development, this time for both Pod and Dento.

Following the bandwagon: Tepig and Oshawott? ......No comment. orz
I hope the TR scene isn't too obtrusive at least.

'Dat Summery. Poor Chili. ;_; It's really nice to see Cilan having an emotional episode that centers around him, rather than an episode where he's a "_____ Sommeilier!". Pleeeeeease writers, don't let this be a disappointing ep.

I've been wondering for a while whether all three triplets were Sommeliers, and from what I can gather about the episode, it seems to me that maybe Dento is the only Sommelier triplet, or at least, it's pretty apparent to me that Pod is not one. I don't see a Sommelier behaving like that toward their own Pokémon, blaming it for his own shortcomings.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who was wondering about this. I mean, considering Chili and Cress both dress like Cilan does and we saw that Burgundy had a similar change of clothes compared to what she wore before she became a Conoisseusse (is that... even the right way to spell it? I may have to make another exception to my dub consistency rule and just use "Sommelier" like everyone else because I can never spell Connossieur right without a spellcheck to bail me out. And I don't have that here at work so I probably spelled it wrong here...), so I assumed people who are in that line of work dress exactly like waiters/waitresses/bartenders.

You're right about Chili's attitude not being suited for the profession... though I have a feeling Cress would be a natural. I hope there are flashbacks to be seen for sure. I'd like to see the triplet dynamics and maybe we'll learn who's the real mediator of the triplets.

I'd actually love for the resolution to be Cress coming in at the end to settle the Cilan/Chili dispute. Sibling squabbles are almost guaranteed entertainment.

Woah, Cress is involved in this mess too? Poor Chili...I just want to give him a big hug :( He may have developed a huge inferiority complex with all these losses...and if you're in a group of siblings, it can often get really stressful. Really glad that Dento will get a chance to showcase his Sommeliering abilities in a practical way for once...

Tepig? :D
Oh wait, that's right, he doesn't have a soul anymore.

Tepig? :D
Oh wait, that's right, he doesn't have a soul anymore.

He had a soul to begin with? D:

Hey, maybe we'll get some silly trivia, like learning who's the oldest triplet and who's the youngest!

Though I'm sure Chili is either the youngest (self-entitled brat complex!) or in the middle (middle child syndrome~).

He had a soul to begin with? D:

Hey, maybe we'll get some silly trivia, like learning who's the oldest triplet and who's the youngest!

Though I'm sure Chili is either the youngest (self-entitled brat complex!) or in the middle (middle child syndrome~).

It had a soul of bacon, but it was eaten away by pests due to uneven focus and neglect.

I would REALLY love to learn that trivia the most to be honest XD But, in my family, the middle child is the most successful, while the oldest (lol, me) suffers more of the "middle child syndrome" XD So, I can see Cilan as being the middle child, Cress being the oldest (since he seems refined and posh and shit) and Chili being the youngest (fot the reasons you listed).

Then again, they're triplets, and they couldn't have been separated for more than a few minutes to an hour apart, so yeah XD

Which is why this episode would be peeeerrfect for flashbacks, that's all I'm saying for like the billionth time

I'm really looking forward to this episode, and (as always) I hope for some good character development, this time for both Pod and Dento.

Character development...in Best Wishes? Is that even remotely possible at this point.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who was wondering about this. I mean, considering Chili and Cress both dress like Cilan does and we saw that Burgundy had a similar change of clothes compared to what she wore before she became a Conoisseusse (is that... even the right way to spell it? I may have to make another exception to my dub consistency rule and just use "Sommelier" like everyone else because I can never spell Connossieur right without a spellcheck to bail me out. And I don't have that here at work so I probably spelled it wrong here...), so I assumed people who are in that line of work dress exactly like waiters/waitresses/bartenders.
That's what I was thinking too; even in Cabernet's flashback to when she was getting qualified to be a Sommelier, weren't there others in the background dressed like that too? (And don't worry; I can't spell the word either. I've come to use Sommelier instead because it's just way easier on me.)

You're right about Chili's attitude not being suited for the profession... though I have a feeling Cress would be a natural. I hope there are flashbacks to be seen for sure. I'd like to see the triplet dynamics and maybe we'll learn who's the real mediator of the triplets.
You know, if Corn were a Sommelier and Pod (pretty apparently) isn't, maybe that could be a contributing factor in his current state of mind. "Both my brothers are better at battling than me," "my brothers are both Sommeliers and I'm not" - could account for why he feels it's necessary to run away from it. My brother often talks of leaving because he doesn't feel like he "fits in" with the rest of the family; maybe Pod feels the same.

/probably stretching it

I'd actually love for the resolution to be Cress coming in at the end to settle the Cilan/Chili dispute. Sibling squabbles are almost guaranteed entertainment.
That would make my day. Corn coming in, reuniting the three of them for the first time in 50-some episodes, and Pod being mad at both of them... would be awesome.

Character development...in Best Wishes? Is that even remotely possible at this point.
Doesn't mean I can't hold out the hope for it... Futile though it may be.

very, very futile

I've seen a few shows that emphasize which twin/triplet/what-have-you was born first, usually when there's a dispute, so even if the difference is only a few minutes or so, I'll bet they'll treat it as if it's a difference of years anyway. XD And I agree, I think Cress definitely has to be the oldest. He seemed to be the most suave and collected guy of the three, and he's the only one who actually defeated Ash (with a type disadvantage!!1), so it would make sense. I really hope he does appear in some capacity for the present-day scenes to make this feel more complete. Who would've guessed that the writers were actually foreshadowing something every time a character said they defeated Chili? God, I'm actually feeling DP vibes; what is this shit? It's so foreign... alien...

... I'm actually looking forward to this episode! Then again, it's Cilan-focused and Cilan's one of the few things about BW that prevents me from hating the series completely, so it's not a total surprise. I'm also a sucker for sibling drama (even though I'm an only child, hurr), so that's a bonus. Referencing past events is also great. It's almost as if the writing got... good again.

I wonder who's writing this episode? Not that I'm familiar with who's who, other than me remebering that Takeda is the bane of Team Rocket episodes or something along those lines. And Tomioka, of course. Genius of DP storylines, failure with BW if the Trubbish episode is any indication. Not sure if there's been an established pattern of who's good with Cilan episodes and who's not-so-good..

I love the theory of Chili being the only non-Sommelier of his triplets and dressing up as one just to hide his shame, though. XD Character development... I have hope, again! Please please please don't kill it again... but it's a Cilan episode. I'm not too worried.

Seriously, I have a set of twins as nephews and the older one (who is older by a danged minute) is still definitively the older brother. He bullies his little brother and the little brother is always "GEGE LOVE ME ;_________;"

Pod definitely seems like he'd be the youngest, and I love how he runs away because of an argument with Corn, who always struck me as the most mellow brother. This episode seems like there is some delicious room for sibling bonding and you know how i am when it comes to symmetry <3

This conversation has a good taste to it XD

Who would've guessed that the writers were actually foreshadowing something every time a character said they defeated Chili? God, I'm actually feeling DP vibes; what is this shit? It's so foreign... alien....

OMG, I know, right? I don't know if this episode came up from the realization that they unintentionally made Pod the punching bag, or if they had planned this from the very beginning...I habe a feeling it may be the former, haha.

You know, if Corn were a Sommelier and Pod (pretty apparently) isn't, maybe that could be a contributing factor in his current state of mind. "Both my brothers are better at battling than me," "my brothers are both Sommeliers and I'm not" - could account for why he feels it's necessary to run away from it. My brother often talks of leaving because he doesn't feel like he "fits in" with the rest of the family; maybe Pod feels the same.

/probably stretching it
As interesting as this theory is, I kinda like that Dento is the only confirmed sommelier of the group. I mean, they each must have their own accomplishments, right? Maybe Pod feels like his bro's accomplishments outshine his own, and thus feels left out...either way, the ostracized sibling plots are interesting and often heartbreaking, so I hope the writers realize how much potential they have going for them XD

A thought occurred to me...what if on top of everything that happened to him, Chili lost all his fangirls? D: except for that one creepy one that always stays loyal

except for that one creepy one that always stays loyal

You? :p

Like quite a few others, I'm also really excited for this one. It's a bit disappointing to see Nitro Charge again, but I think the dynamics between Dent and Pod will be able to keep me entertained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom