• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Chess Mafia (2023) - ENDGAME - TOWN + INDEPT WIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
its also still possible there are just two blocks in the game. Minish could have blocked me, and scum could have blocked you. (or you're lying). If other people's actions succeeded that seems like the likely outcome to me. Some sort of game-wide block also seems possible though, and if its the case it should be apparent soon.

its also still possible there are just two blocks in the game. Minish could have blocked me, and scum could have blocked you. (or you're lying). If other people's actions succeeded that seems like the likely outcome to me. Some sort of game-wide block also seems possible though, and if its the case it should be apparent soon.
There was a scum Jailer, flipped.
Minish is blocker indeed, but also is Vigi, and did Vigi Dawning. Also she claimed idling her action, which makes sense tbh as with a bus driver and someone who could arbitrarily pick tracker or watcher on a whim, scum would be on their eggshells about any kill being trackable, watchable, bus driven to someone whose flip will reduce the PoE beyond any chance they can make it to f3, or maybe even bus drive kill to self.

For all we knew before the flips, the only thing a town blocker could do is stop a Janitor who may not have even been available that night. Minish would never willingly use town block: unfortunately, it is still possible scum has a redirector and could use this block to stop us, something that Jamie in particular wanted us to think, even though it came a bit out of nowhere? But in that universe the last scum (definitely promoted Jamie lol) needs to have started as a Neighbor Janitor Pawn who also regained Framer Jailer and somehow has a Redirector on top of it? Doubt it.

Even if you assume I am lying, I would have to be a Janitor who also either regained toast's Framer Jailer or Redirected Minish to block you (and you did not redirect Minish yourself, else my attempt to redirect would be redirected by your redirect... Yeah no). Not to mention only Jabberwockies are promotable, and we have two flipped ones (Mido and Raven) plus two obvious ones (neighbors). So you need to assume the 9 town are : 5 Jabberwockies, a King and a Rook (confirmed, that's 7)... Then 2 left among you, Minish and Zinn. Something is missing.

Whose others' actions? Mine failed, yours failed, Minish claimed idled, helperman and Potato supposedly never had one, and both @JamieIsBored and @beryllium claimed Bodyguard (we really need to learn the exact timeline of those claims and how they became so convinced of one another being town).

Final scenario, game-wide block... That is actually possible I guess, but how will it become apparent soon? I have no ability left atm (Pawn and King ones don't count), and you should be a Nexus tonight, which is passive... Although Minish will be a Vigi, so yeah whether a Vigi shot will happen or not kinda clears up everything: if the scum has toast's role inherited, they can just stop Minish: if they rely on redirecting Minish's role, they cannot block but if they can control the vig we are screwed... That seems too broken setup wise.

Another scenario, which you did not mention (conveniently), you are scum (also promoted Pawn) and used toast's role to Jailer me, or redirected Minish's role on me. All the flavor makes perfect sense. Honestly this is the other likely scenario if it is not Jamie.

OK I guess there is a beryl scum scenario too, but I find it way less likely than Jamie, if only because he brought up the redirector part our of nowhere, to maybe explain what happened tonight if he could manage to mislynch either of us and still needs one more lynch.

In any case, this game is STACKED. Wtf Ex?

I idled last night.
Not sure if I'll be of too much help here theory wise because I still haven't been able to keep up with too much.
Unfortunately for you, the final decision should be yours and Potato's. This is a tough game to have to town lead in.

For all we knew before the flips, the only thing a town blocker could do is stop a Janitor who may not have even been available that night. Minish would never willingly use town block:
Where I come from roleblockers can usually stop the kill. I gather that isn't the case here?
But in that universe the last scum (definitely promoted Jamie lol) needs to have started as a Neighbor Janitor Pawn who also regained Framer Jailer and somehow has a Redirector on top of it? Doubt it.
They would have started as a janitor/redirector/neighbour and then gained the ability to activate their dead ally's abilities, which seems roughly in line wiht the power level for this game. I'm not sure i understand how a redirector/jailer could have create the double block scenario though. If we're both town, then scum must have the ability to roleblock at least two players.
Even if you assume I am lying, I would have to be a Janitor who also either regained toast's Framer Jailer or Redirected Minish to block you

In the event that you're lying, you would have to be a janitor and also have access to some roleblocking ability. Minish holstered so you couldn't have blocked me by redirecting her. Either you would have just had a roleblock of your own (meaning scum would have two roleblockers, not unreasonable considering how stacked town seems) or you have or gained the ability to use your dead ally's abilities, which makes sense given your "promotion evens out swingy games" theory and also sort of makes sense in the context of shogi, where defeated pieces can be used.

Not to mention only Jabberwockies are promotable, and we have two flipped ones (Mido and Raven) plus two obvious ones (neighbors). So you need to assume the 9 town are : 5 Jabberwockies, a King and a Rook (confirmed, that's 7)... Then 2 left among you, Minish and Zinn. Something is missing.

Why 5? I'd rather guess we have 4 pawns and 1 of each non-pawn piece in the town. If you were scum, the pawns would be Mido, Raven, Beryl, and Jamie, and the other five pieces would be me(queen/knight/bishop), minish(queen/knight/bishop), human (rook), potato (king), and zinn (queen/knight/bishop)

Final scenario, game-wide block... That is actually possible I guess, but how will it become apparent soon?

Is bodyguard a passive ability in this meta? I'm used to it being "target a player, if that player would die instead you do". If this is the case, the bodyguards should get notifications that their ability failed, I think? Maybe i'm wrong though. In any case, minish+scum is ruled out, so if both of us are town scum would have had to block both of us, and if one of us is lying scum would have had to block one of us. I'd guess this is good basis to lynch within the two of us today, though there's certainly still a lot to be worked through.
Another scenario, which you did not mention (conveniently), you are scum (also promoted Pawn) and used toast's role to Jailer me, or redirected Minish's role on me. All the flavor makes perfect sense. Honestly this is the other likely scenario if it is not Jamie.

This is seemingly the same scenario you called infeasible when referring to yourself? It is of course possible, although I'd guess the last shogi piece is king or general rather than pawn. I also don't have to be able to use toast's role though, if I started with a roleblocking role, and wouldn't have been able to redirect minish, because she holstered last night.

Where I come from roleblockers can usually stop the kill. I gather that isn't the case here?
Yeah, a blocker is not a killstopper, it would only stop the Janitor modifier on the kill.
They would have started as a janitor/redirector/neighbour and then gained the ability to activate their dead ally's abilities, which seems roughly in line wiht the power level for this game. I'm not sure i understand how a redirector/jailer could have create the double block scenario though. If we're both town, then scum must have the ability to roleblock at least two players.
I doubt scum would start with more than 2 roles, one was Framer Jailer and one was Strongman 2x Rolecop. Last one probably started as Janitor Neighbor or Janitor Redirector. Jamie could still get a 3rd ability on promotion tho.

A Redirector + Framer Jailer could Jail one of us for a block, then Redirect Minish block to the other one.
Minish holstered so you couldn't have blocked me by redirecting her.
All Redirector variants that I know of basically mind control person A to target person B, whether person A holstered or targetted a C does not matter.
Either you would have just had a roleblock of your own (meaning scum would have two roleblockers, not unreasonable considering how stacked town seems) or you have or gained the ability to use your dead ally's abilities, which makes sense given your "promotion evens out swingy games" theory and also sort of makes sense in the context of shogi, where defeated pieces can be used.
I doubt there are three roleblockers all potentially active at Night 1 in the same game. I also had no idea about that mechanic of shogi, gotta look it up.
Why 5? I'd rather guess we have 4 pawns and 1 of each non-pawn piece in the town. If you were scum, the pawns would be Mido, Raven, Beryl, and Jamie, and the other five pieces would be me(queen/knight/bishop), minish(queen/knight/bishop), human (rook), potato (king), and zinn (queen/knight/bishop)
That is a "from your POV" thing and obviously wrong from my POV. I agree it is very unlikely there are 5 Pawns this game, and scum promotion needs to account for that, which is why I am not so sure about you being scum anymore.
Is bodyguard a passive ability in this meta? I'm used to it being "target a player, if that player would die instead you do". If this is the case, the bodyguards should get notifications that their ability failed, I think? Maybe i'm wrong though.
The first part is how it works yeah. However, protectives are usually not informed when their actions failed, only investigatives who expect a result do. Yet you claim to be bus driver who was told they failed, so Ex might be processing it differently than hosting standard here for this game. No way to know since I have not gained a shot of a non-investigative ability yet. Also for the record, both Jamie and beryl claimed that after Night 2 all their shots were used up. Did not clarify if 1x or 2x, or who they targetted to check for drivings and blockings.
if both of us are town scum would have had to block both of us, and if one of us is lying scum would have had to block one of us. I'd guess this is good basis to lynch within the two of us today, though there's certainly still a lot to be worked through.
It would be a good basis if scum had Jailer still alive, as things are this could not have happened without promotion.
This is seemingly the same scenario you called infeasible when referring to yourself?
Again I was taking from my POV, our POV cannot be the same when it comes to flavor, nothing more can be said on the matter.
I also don't have to be able to use toast's role though, if I started with a roleblocking role
Do you really believe the game started with Minish, toast, Raven and yet another blocking role? Then what did scum exactly gain at promotion, the redirection? Still checks out with only Jamie, no one else was talking about redirection before Strongman flipped (confirming it exists) and you claimed. I did not even think of it until you claimed blocked too, hence the mindblown.

I doubt there are three roleblockers all potentially active at Night 1 in the same game.
Why? This game has an excess of power roles. If zinn was a cop that means we had a tracker/watcher, a cop, a UB, and four more players that could have become investigative roles at N5. Thats an absurd amount of invesitgative power, so it makes sense that scum might have two roleblockers to help counteract it.
Yet you claim to be bus driver who was told they failed, so Ex might be processing it differently than hosting standard here for this game.
I was also told i succeeded N2. What have your night actions been this game and what kind of results did you get from them?
All Redirector variants that I know of basically mind control person A to target person B, whether person A holstered or targetted a C does not matter.
Ah, I'm not familiar with redirectors working like that. If thats the standard here I can see how thats a real possibility then.
It would be a good basis if scum had Jailer still alive, as things are this could not have happened without promotion.
We don't know what promotion does for scum aside from upgrade their role in some way, but the third scum player would have to have had a pretty stacked role in order for the events to add up. They would need to be able to doubleblock in one night while being able to janitor sometimes as well. I wonder if raven's body being released is related to the doubleblock. Maybe its they can capture some of the players who die and then use them to power up their own abilities for a night or gain one-shot abilities based on the player's role? In that case releasing raven could have given them an extra block and a regular block/redirect could have been their second one. It still doesn't feel as likely as one of us lying about being blocked though.

Then what did scum exactly gain at promotion, the redirection?

could have gained anything in theory. In shogi i think promoted pieces are just upgraded versions of their old movement patterns, so I'd expect something similar to their role but better. As an example maybe the lance would gain unlimited strongman charges and also the ability to rolecop in addition to performing the hit? It doesn't seem too fruitful to speculate on though.

Too tired to continue this atm, sorry. I will think it through and reply after I rest a bit, though.

Sorry I haven't been able to really keep up.
Haven't seen, so could y'all update me on how Potato is clear?
And all claims so far.

everyone else to my knowledge has claimed, and becuase nobody claimed emperor that makes potato the emperor by process of elimination, and emperor is a town role.

roleclaims/flips from memory:

A. Zexy - universal backup. hasn't claimed targets before last night i believed. Tried to track me last night and was blocked.
2. Potato-6 - No claim, emperor by process of elimination.
3. JamieIsBored - Neighbour with beryl / Bodyguard, Pawn
4. RavenRaziel98 - Pawn, rolestopper/vengeful roleblocker
5. Minish - Odd Night roleblocker, Even Night vig
6. Beryl - Neighbour with Jamie / Bodyguard, Pawn
7. DawningWinds - 2x Strongman + Rolecop, Lance
8. ZinnLav - Presumably Beloved. No flip, people speculate they were softing cop.
9. Helperman - Checkers piece. Hops over two people every day. wins when some percentage of players has been hopped. Self-aligned, non-threat.
10. toastghost - Silver General. Can't remember what their role did atm but they were scum.
J. Rag - Prime Night Bus Driver, Non-Prime Night Nexus. Targeted Jamie and Zexy night 2. targeted Mint and Minish night 3 but was blocked.
Q. Mint Elv - Pawn. Vote value is equal to the number of other living pawns.
K. HumanDawn - Rook. Evolving tracker/watcher.

On what basis?
PoE.
My action failed too btw, the "no result" was the soft. Also the "my night action" hinted that my action was not really a watch on Potato, it was a track on ragnarokio, I just had to lie because of the WIFOM caused by phase not ending... In fact I tried to confuse ppl in general when saying there was no interaction that could solve this all night, of course tracking ragnarokio and getting two players back as a result would be a clear. But nope, everyone got blocked, and the wording is such that I was not even sure if I got redirected too before it.
Scum used rolestopper? Also, if scum!Raganarokio had two abilities you would still them visiting two people.
and both @JamieIsBored and @beryllium claimed Bodyguard (we really need to learn the exact timeline of those claims and how they became so convinced of one another being town).
Alright, we both claimed to eachother day 0. I was then further convinced by the host after I set up a little trap to confirm us both.
amie, if only because he brought up the redirector part our of nowhere, to maybe explain what happened tonight if he could manage to mislynch either of us and still needs one more lynch.
I brought up a redirect because 1) that is a role that can counter me and Beryllium, I specifically asked about strongman interaction and was told that it did not affect the fact that we were bodyguarding. 2) If a town roleblocker comes out and says “hey I didn’t tile block the person being roleblocked” and no one else claims roleblocked, it’s common sense to realise there’s a redirector.
@JamieIsBored why did you think zinn was knight and not queen?
Zexy’s role fits better as the Queen. Knights are beloved by the people, Knights were like cops in the medieval times.
Also for the record, both Jamie and beryl claimed that after Night 2 all their shots were used up. Did not clarify if 1x or 2x, or who they targetted to check for drivings and blockings.
2x, but we could protect two people on the first shot.
Maybe it’s they can capture some of the players who die and then use them to power up their own abilities for a night or gain one-shot abilities based on the player's role?
That actually sounds pretty likely, they can place a role stopper on you and roleblock Zexy.

I am waiting for Beryllium to come back, maybe losing all the shots was a little bit of a lie. We’ll see what happened to her last night.

Oh yeah, I protected Potato and Beryllium N1, Beryllium protected Zexy and myself N2, I protected Potato N2.
I 100% believe both jamie and bery are town they have done nothing hut try to help town all game and now they are being sussed just because jamie mentioned there might be a redirector

mafia will also generally try to help the town, so being helpful is usually close to NAI. I think zexy is the better target for today than either of them though, so its a moot point.
Care to explain why everyone else is less likely scum than me? In particular, zexy's claims are also unconfirmed and NKing zinn N2 makes a lot more sense if the scumteam was him+dawning than if it was me+dawning.
Zexy’s role fits better as the Queen. Knights are beloved by the people, Knights were like cops in the medieval times.
Why does queen make sense as backup? Pawn makes a lot of sense, but not in this game because promotion is already a game mechanic. I don't really feel like backup fits any of the other chess pieces, and is rather a better match for a shogi piece considering the game actively utilizes captured (dead) pieces. I don't really understand your softing meta well but would it be unusual for a scum player who rolled universal backup to start softing it from the beginning of the game?
That actually sounds pretty likely, they can place a role stopper on you and roleblock Zexy.

I assume you mean they both rolestopped and roleblocked me. That does seem like a viable possibility.

Care to explain why everyone else is less likely scum than me? In particular, zexy's claims are also unconfirmed and NKing zinn N2 makes a lot more sense if the scumteam was him+dawning than if it was me+dawning.
Minish and Potato confirmed, I trust Milk. Would you consider yourself a counter claim to Zexy?
Why does queen make sense as backup? Pawn makes a lot of sense, but not in this game because promotion is already a game mechanic. I don't really feel like backup fits any of the other chess pieces, and is rather a better match for a shogi piece considering the game actively utilizes captured (dead) pieces. I don't really understand your softing meta well but would it be unusual for a scum player who rolled universal backup to start softing it from the beginning of the game?
A Queen has the movement capabilities of every piece, and no not really. The softing meta is quite wild after last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom