• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP189: Shin'ō League Semi-Finals! Enter Darkrai!!

Torkoal got the shortest end of the stick on that one. It got KO'd in less than ten seconds after being sent out. It was even more astonishing since Torkoal pulled off an impressive fight against Brandon's Registeel back at the end of AG.

Disappointed that Swellow ended up as "mystery pokemon no. 6." Four out of the six, it felt like a rehash of the Hoenn League. Don't get me wrong, Swellow had amazing battles in its run. However, all we saw of its theatrics is what we have seen of it for so long.

Sceptile's Leaf Storm was to show off a new attack, regardless Leaf Blade is still its signature attack.

Pikachu VS Latios was obviously the main highlight of this match. It was an impressive fight on Pikachu's part (especially holding on to Latios for so long).

I'll answer you and Ash6k at the same time since I'm lazy. I don't mind the choice in pokemon, I mind that they're boring. Did we anything new from Torkoal or Swellow? Anything we hadn't seen before from those two? Oooooooh and let's not even talk about Sceptile's Leaf Storm that didn't do jack. Seriously, none of those three pokemon showed any kind of personality or anything new techniques wise... so why should I care again?

Guess it comes down to opinion. Torkoal obviously didn't do well but I personally liked Sceptile's match. The whole dream scene, its fierce Leaf Blades, that Quick Attack against Darkrai...we've seen them before but I was still entertained by it.

And I liked Swellow flying and doing its aerial moves in the match as well. Sure we've seen them but I'm always entertained by Swellow's moves.

Didn't they cheer for Takuto when he won the tournament? Why the fuck would they do that? God, I wish someone would call him out on his utter cheapness.

Didn't they cheer for Takuto when he won the tournament? Why the fuck would they do that? God, I wish someone would call him out on his utter cheapness.

Um, why not? Ash isn't the one to be bitter and not root for someone who beats him. Even though he lost, it looked like Ash enjoyed his match with Takuto.

This episode was just sad....Ash wins an EPIC battle last week and loses to a cheap Gary stu today.....sigh

I hated the Latios card. If one legendary wasn't enough...Bleh....At least Ash defeated Darkrai. That makes me happy.

I haven't watched it yet.

But Cynthia will destroy him.

Imagine if Ash had a Garchomp.

Can anyone figure out what the second pokemon the guy who lost to takuto used was. I got Granbull(?), Unknown, Magnezone, Zangoose, Mismagius, and Magmortar.

I don't know how they'll end up introducing Isshu in the next few episodes, but and idea for a way I would have liked for them to have done it in this episode. Have had Pikachu like just muster to stand up instead of the double KO, just enough for Takuto to send out some BW pokemon, and then have Pikachu faint. Bad fanfic and whatnot, but whatever.

Can anyone figure out what the second pokemon the guy who lost to takuto used was. I got Granbull(?), Unknown, Magnezone, Zangoose, Mismagius, and Magmortar.

I don't know how they'll end up introducing Isshu in the next few episodes, but and idea for a way I would have liked for them to have done it in this episode. Have had Pikachu like just muster to stand up instead of the double KO, just enough for Takuto to send out some BW pokemon, and then have Pikachu faint. Bad fanfic and whatnot, but whatever.

Empoleon?

Anyway, yeah since Takuto didn't use a 5th gen pokemon, it's gonna be interesting how they handle how Ash learns about Isshu.

For reference
Scoreboard.png

Empoleon?

Anyway, yeah since Takuto didn't use a 5th gen pokemon, it's gonna be interesting how they handle how Ash learns about Isshu.

How did he learn about other regions! He battled a guy that showed him how inferior he was, then he probably thought I want one like that! And then he sees Ho-Oh that shows him the way. If that happens, pokemon will become SO predictable.

Entering rant mode...

As apparently I am as well.
You know I am sick and tired of people like you. No seriously, Ash is at a disadvantage from the start, and when he beats that disadvantage you immediately call it B.S.

What would you rather, Ash didn't win any Pokemon at all. That's pretty low, since Takuto was the definition of Deus Ex Machina.

No, Sceptile wasn't cheap or DEM for beating Darkrai, no Pikachu wasn't cheap or DEM by tying with Latios. Let's face the facts here, had Takuto not shown his mysterious face, Ash would've won the league.

It's annoying when Ash actually does something impressive, and people bitch because it actually needed all the Sceptile in the world just to take down one damn Pokemon. That is the definition of cheap and DEM.

Sceptile and Pikachu deserved what they got, a win and a tie. Because anything less and maybe anything more would be what Archaic is just a big kick in the balls to the fandom.

I am just sick of when something doesn't go a way a fan wants and it's just plain cheap and DEM. That excuse is getting annoying and I don't think its valid any longer.

And my god you picked the worst thing to complain about when Takuto was in no fear of losing the Sinnoh League. He had 4 more Pokemon even if Pikachu did survive. Bitching about Sceptile's win, and Pikachu tie, is just sad and pathetic. It really is. Who the fuck cares both Sceptile and Pikachu took more hits then the other Pokemon, honestly the whole damn thing was rushed and cheap, had it been longer maybe it wouldn't have been OHKO after another. The OHKO's were simply to save time, so the real meat and potatoes of the match can begin. And this was Takuto after all, not Paul, so we really had no expectation it was going to be of a reasonable length.

Maybe Team Rocket can be partially blamed for the time, sure, I have no doubt, but don't cheapen the few victories Ash had just because two of his Pokemon lasted longer than the others.

Edit: To finish up, I just can't hate this battle no matter what. Yes 2 legendaries was incredibly cheap, but as I said it was cheap written well. I just cannot hate it at all or dislike it in the least. The crappy shitty battle was written just so well (perhaps not my favorite, but it definitely beats Nando).

And just to note it is Empoleon, the two things you think are horns (at the end), is Empoleon's collar. I think the first Pokemon is Granbull (maybe), Magnezone next (after Empoleon), and LOL what looks like Pikachu (but could be Spinda), Mismagius and Magmortar.

so let's see now.
Pikachu's beaten one legendary and tied with one by itself.
Charizard defeated one by itself.
Sceptile beat one with Gible's help.

Ok, so they beat the big boys, who cares cause it's not like it makes em more powerful than the other "strong arms" Ash has, cool looking yes, stronger no.

The third is definitely Zangoose. I really don't think its Empoleon. Its horns go straight up, they aren't curved like that.

Edit: Comparing it to Iteru's picture, I'm sure it's not Empoleon. The collar's thicker, and its just off. I know it's something though, just can't think of it.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom