• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Final discussion:do you think Misty could work as main character once again in show?

Final discussion:do you think Misty could work as main character once again in show?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Final discussion:do you think Misty could work as main character once again in s

I realize most people don't leave a reply because they don't want to debate or explain themselves, but oh well. Not everyone likes long-winded posts with constant quoting.

Anyway you got your, "statistics" which I imagine is why you made this thread in the first place. There's really nothing else to say.

Well i would appreciate if tread could stay open until poll timespan expires to give chance to people who dont know about this thread to leave their input or suggestions and vote if want.
Most people who come in anime section voted,but there are still many from shippers community,clubs etc who rarely come in here si their opinion should be heard too.

ANY character could work on the main cast if the writers wanted them to. They could put a Nurse Joy on the main cast if they wanted to and find a way for it to work, doesn't mean they ever had any desire to.

Pretty much true.

Re: Final discussion:do you think Misty could work as main character once again in s

My short answer would be "No"

All the characters of this show has different roles an purpose to be in the show. I think Misty deserved a better character development than she got. But let's not forget that she played a big role in developing the characters of Ash and Brock. She has appeared in more episodes compared to other girls. Dawn might have got more spotlight than other girls. But, did she played a role in developing other characters? No!
The kind of treatment she got was pretty much satisfying considering her REAL role in the show.
Some people tend to ignore the importance of Misty in the show. Just because the show wasn't really focused on her goal that doesn't mean that she's not as important as May/Dawn. Who helped the most in transforming Ash from a idiot rookie trainer to what he is today? It's Misty.

Last edited:

Nope. Shes gone I'm afraid, especially since Unova is like a "reboot" of the entire series even more than Hoenn was.

She and Brock may appear in like a flashback or something, but the show doing that is sort of very rare to me.

omg yes pleaseeee bring her back please i miss herso much !

It depends on if she is handled well... we don't want her to be brought out without reason. And hopefully she would be given a goal where you can actually measure her growth rather than just sticking with something obscure like "water pokemon master."

As long as she is handled well, I don't see any reason not to give her a second chance.
But I also think it would sort of be a bad move, considering the fandom is so torn on the issue anyways... So a bad thing would be the fan wars that would ensue

If the writers had any interest in Misty's character than Iris would most likely not exist.

If the writers had any interest in Misty's character than Iris would most likely not exist.
She's in the game (side-bar: lost the game.) And she'd most likely appear in the anime anyway.

She's in the game (side-bar: lost the game.) And she'd most likely appear in the anime anyway.

I meant as a travel companion. The fact that the Contests are actually gone this time around, they didn't choose the playable female heroine of BW, but they STILL chose another female over Misty anyway says a lot.

Granted its obvious the writers never had any intention of reintroducing Misty to the cast anyway, but I'm just saying how a similar-ish character was introduced really drives in the final nail even further. Even without a new game sidequest for the new girl, they still avoid Misty.

It depends on if she is handled well... we don't want her to be brought out without reason. And hopefully she would be given a goal where you can actually measure her growth rather than just sticking with something obscure like "water pokemon master."

Well considering how much writing improved im pretty sure Misty would be handled better nowdays with more input being put in her story.

One of plausible reasons behind coming back could be:some pokemon agent after testing her skills as water trainer in battle recognizing potential in Misty to become one day E4 material offering her to go on a journey to
learn new things and try becoming E4 invoking desire in her.
Maybe trying to become some powerful water trainer like Lorelai apprentice serving as stepping stone before she tries to take on tasks someone would need to overcome to accomplish such thing.

-another could be some unown relative being introduced(perhaps her parents)with purpose of enriching her backstory and allowing for some quality character development.That way Misty would be assured how she has someone realible to leave gym in sequre hands while being gone deciding how gym isnt providing her sufficient knowleadge feeling how she should maybe go outside to travell and learn new things.In process she would hear about unown region full of unown water types aswell hearing about gathering of all water trainers in world in somesort of competitions trying to prepare herself for such event serving as push forward in her career as water trainer.

I dont even think her original goal of becoming water master was problematic or anything,it just hapens writers never expanded more on it with little being revealed.So to be honest i think she could work without necessary changing her original aims as long more input is being given in whole thing with some indicators being created through which her strenght could be measured.

Perhaps introducing couple of tasks(competitions like Whirl Cup for example was)for which she would have to train and catch new pokemon.Purpose behind entering them would be to advance her skills serving as steps forward to her ultimate dream with some rivals being given to her in meantime posing obstacle character would need to pass.
I think this could made for some interesting arc.

Many gym leaders like Fantina,Jasmine,Wallace leave their gyms to travell for various purposes(like for contests,to improve their skills)so there would be nothing wrong if she did same thing.

But I also think it would sort of be a bad move, considering the fandom is so torn on the issue anyways... So a bad thing would be the fan wars that would ensue

To be fair majority of fandom are being made of target audience who are small kids not being critic about show nearly as much.Reintroducing Misty to them wouldnt play any different giving her chance just like they give to any new character.And speaking of older fans most of them from what i noticed either would welcome her coming back or being indifferent about it.Very few of them are completely dead set against it under any circumstances.

To Gliscor'd:Yes,yes we know how astronomically small chances are for Misty coming back as main,no need to remind us.This is just hypothetical talk,and to be fair its never too late in theory for writers to bring her back though if they really wanted to.

Last edited:

Well given this poll closes on 4/8 which is only a few days from now, it'll be interesting to see the last votes. But overall it'll be the same as now.

If she does or was able to come back:

1. She has an expanded arsenal of water pokemon. It was crap how she only had:

Staryu
Starmie
Goldeen
Psyduck
Corsola
Togepi
Horsea

Over the entirety of her career on the show. Not a very good roster for a person who wants to be the " Best Water Pokemon" trainer ever. Honestly, she should have gotten squirtle, or totodile instead of ash.

2. Her sisters respect her. I mentioned this a while back, but I do believe it's time the trio get their heads out of their a**es. Calling mistythe runt of the family? Giving her your old broken pokemon dolls? Going on a cruise, forcing her to go back to cerulean city to take over as gym leader? Respect, that is not..

Over the entirety of her career on the show. Not a very good roster for a person who wants to be the " Best Water Pokemon" trainer ever. Honestly, she should have gotten squirtle, or totodile instead of ash.

The team they gave Misty really was lackluster. They tried to make it better when Corsola and Politoed happened but by then it was too late.

Half of Misty's team couldn't even battle properly without certain conditions, (Psyduck, Togepi, Horsea and Goldeen). And then there was Starmie who was so short-lived she might as well have not had it.

2. Her sisters respect her. I mentioned this a while back, but I do believe it's time the trio get their heads out of their a**es. Calling mistythe runt of the family? Giving her your old broken pokemon dolls? Going on a cruise, forcing her to go back to cerulean city to take over as gym leader? Respect, that is not..

Daisy respects her in the specials.

Overall this is all stuff they should have done in Johto, it was a missed opportunity and so Misty's development suffered for it.

And then there was Starmie who was so short-lived she might as well have not had it.

The writing cast thesmelves pointed out what they saw as the flaw with Starmie in the Gym episode. "It doesn't have a face, so it's too hard for it to portray emotions!" BOX'D!

They never even had Starmie use any psychic attacks, or even icebeam or thunderbolt. It was literally treated like a bigger clone of Staryu.

Starmie had potential to be an amazing Pokemon, but it battles like...twice? And then its dumped only 60 episodes into Kanto, and is never used again for Misty's entire run.

I also originally suspected Horsea was going to return during Johto and evolve all the way to Kingdra, but oh well, so much for that. Its bizarre the writers could have made some use of it and advertise a new evo at the same time but chose not to.

Its like the writers screwed over Misty's team in virtually every way possible.

I see a lot of people saying that writers could make it work. It doesn't work like that. The writers could make anything work. The question is that is bringing Misty back a practical choice and would it really work.

Well the vast majority of the poll has people think it won't either work or happen, I'd say that serves the point him.

We used to have Misty polls like this even back when Hoenn was airing for the first time, the results always came out mostly the same. Nobody ever thought she was truly going to return, even back when Hoenn was airing, and at the time nobody thought the original trio had any chance of being reunited.

I imagine the reason why this is still discussed, is a lot of people online now were not in the fandom back when AG was originally airing, so they have no idea that this was all discussed 8 years ago and why Misty's fate in the series wound up the way it did.

The team they gave Misty really was lackluster. They tried to make it better when Corsola and Politoed happened but by then it was too late.

Daisy respects her in the specials.

Maybe Daisy,but other two Lily and Violet hardly.Not to mention even from Daisy Misty didnt managed to get full respect as it was showed in her last cameo when Misty was rushed home with Daisy disrespecting her wish that gym badges are not being given away for nothing.

Its like the writers screwed over Misty's team in virtually every way possible.

I will agree about Goldeen,Horsea and Starmie but Staryu,Corsola and Poliwag line were treated pretty good being her best pokemon.

Well the vast majority of the poll has people think it won't either work or happen, I'd say that serves the point him.

Thing is that opinions from people about Misty coming back as main character differs from place to place.On some sites like pokecommunity or pokeelite their opinion mostly prevails on yes(situation is more one sided than i expected it to be over there) while on some other sites like bulbagarden people are pretty divided about whole thing.
Not to mention many people who lurked this thread never voted or posted what is their view on whole thing.

To Karamazov:well as i said already in my opinion writers could come up with practical way to have Misty back being given second chance.She has potential having several unexplored things on which they could expand in her story and pokemon team or her dream are one of those departments where more could be definitely done.

Last edited:

:sigh: Another Misty thread again? I'm trying to enjoy BW right now. I personaly like the way things are with the changing of characters. But to answer the question. I don't think so. The only thing she would be good for is shipping purposes. We know she likes Ash but it won't make the show better just for that reason alone.

The only thing she would be good for is shipping purposes.

Shipping is non-existent in the show now. It only exists in fandom.

Shipping is non-existent in the show now. It only exists in fandom.

It might have decreased in quantity, but every season so far has had some form of it involving a main character. The shipping probably won't amount to anything anyway, so it's not like it matters one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom