• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you plan to take out Pokemon Trainer Red(Spoilers)?

I started off with my crobat and used sunny day and canceled the hail. His Pikachus OHKOed crobat but I switched Typhlosion in and eruption it to the ground. He sends in Blastoise but I switch to Bellossom and spam solarbeam as he misses blizzard. He then switches to Charizard as I switch to Politoed and i quickly take it out after 2 surfs. Typhlosion handled the other three with eruption and focus blast.

Took red on with a team that was barely level 60, thanks to the poor leveling in HG/SS, and beat him. The battle wasn't as hard as I had been expecting.

As long as you battle types and carry plenty of heal items, you should be able to take him on from the mid-60's. He doesn't seem to have EV trained particularly well at all. Saying that, I think I was in awe of him too much; I trained for a solid week before taking him on with four level 90+ 'mon (Garchomp, Salamence, Tyranitar and Mewtwo) after he destroyed my first attempt at ~lvl.66 with a completely different team.

Good point, since his pokemon are all level 75+... All I can do is grind for ages... like around Elite 4, or maybe I would transfer my pokemon to Diamond/pearl/platinum and train them there with VS seeker.

GYM. LEADER. REMATCHES.

Come on people, they're not as useless as in Platinum.

Yeah, but it's so annoying to wait an entire week before assembling them all. It's so much easier to grind against the Elite Four rematch.

He's much easier now...

Electric Pokémon/attack deals with half his team now lol. Any Pokémon that can take a hit or is faster, and that hits decently, disposes of Pikachu. Snorlax is the harder one like before (Kinda. Blizzard and Shadow Ball? Are you serious?), but a tough Fighting Type does the trick. That leaves Venusaur, but with such a poor Team, you won't have much problem.

Wow, his Movelist this time is awful. Only Lapras, Venusaur and Pikachu are decent. Snorlax was completely nerfed. Funny, used to be tough as nails in the original.

Yeah, but it's so annoying to wait an entire week before assembling them all. It's so much easier to grind against the Elite Four rematch.

No. :/ You can just call the one available over and over again within the time frame. You don't have to wait at all. Why would you need to assemble all the leaders anyways?

No. :/ You can just call the one available over and over again within the time frame. You don't have to wait at all. Why would you need to assemble all the leaders anyways?
Wynaut?

anyway my previous plan, failed
however, i am freaking determeind to take this guy out at lvl 60 without changing my team too much
so, ive begun to EV train a Wobbuffet to take out the Lapras and Blastoise, the only 2 i have no counters for

Ah, I didn't know that. That makes it better, but the E4 still seems more reliable. And I need to assemble all the leaders because I am an insecure champion and it validates me to have all the gym leaders at my beck and call, okay??! :'(

THe hardest part for me is ditching one of my team so I can have a HM slave in my team to actually get to Red. Wish I didn't even need HM moves to get to him >.<

THe hardest part for me is ditching one of my team so I can have a HM slave in my team to actually get to Red. Wish I didn't even need HM moves to get to him >.<

I beat him even though the majority of my team was underleveled by 10 levels, not to mention the HMs were spread around my party.

all you need is rock climb! i mean, it couldn't be that hard to find a TM move somewhere in your party you can temporarily get rid of

hell, you don't even need surf, delete it and put rock climb over it

Mine was straight forward, not really epic at all. lol. My highest Pokemon were Ho-Oh (70) and Mewtwo (70), along with that, I had the highest Pokemon in my party; red Gyarados (48), Snorlax (52), Raikou (48), and Typhlosion (53). Mewtwo actually died early on, Snorlax took out Pikachu, Raikou wiped up Blasty, Gyarados wiped Charizard with one attack, it was all pretty straight forward. lol Ho-Oh used Sacred Fire and snagged Venusaur on the first turn. So, yeah.

You'll notice everyone was low lvl, I had a 70 Ho-Oh because I was in SoulSilver, and I went and caught Mewtwo real quick to have some backup if needed, but I wanted Charmander really bad so I flew through Red.

I was sick of grinding and I needed Kyogre to get Groudon so I traded over my Level 92 Lugia and owned his ass. :/ It took, like, 15 minutes total (counting walking to him). It really isn't epic anymore, not when you've beaten him 2 times already. =3=

I DID IT!!! I BEAT HIM!!!
I used a lvl76 Exploud, lvl80 Misdreavus, lvl57 Fearow, lvl71 Sceptile, lvl75 Starmie, and an egg.
I impressed even myself with this one.

Hmm... I've already got a set team that I'm using, and I refuse to trade over anything else until I've done all of the main plot, as a matter of principle. This means:

a) A whole lot of level training.
b) A generous amount of items.
c) Probably some move tutoring at some point.

My current team is as follows:

Gospel(Marowak@ThickClub/RockHead): Bonemerang/StoneEdge/DoubleEdge/Thrash
Koizumi(Meganium@Leftovers/Overgrow): PetalDance/Reflect/Synthesis/BodySlam
Kiera(Furret@FocusBand/KeenEye): Headbutt/Rest/Surf/SleepTalk
Mozilla(Ninetales@WiseGlasses/FlashFire): Flamethrower/WillOWisp/EnergyBall/ConfuseRay
Serenity(Dragonair@ShellBell/ShedSkin): Surf/DragonRush/ThunderWave/DragonDance
And an HM slave spot.

They're approaching the mid 50s right now, and I've basically wrapped up everything in Kanto to do before Diglett's Cave. I'll probably have to give up my preference for Dragonair's design over Dragonite's and let Serenity evolve, too, and swap out Dragon Rush for Draco Meteor like I've been planning. Kiera needs a better moveset (dunno why I decided to use her), and the rest just need levels, really.

Bah, I beat him on my 1st try. Just use Earthquake on pikachu (Be careful of Iron Tail) and an electric type move like thunder on lapras. Every one of his other pokemon is simple if you have some mid-80/low-90 pokemon.

Heres my team:

Wolf (Mightyena@Soothe bell/Quick Feet) Sucker Punch/Iron Tail/Dig/Payback
Relic (Relicanth@Mystic Water/Swift Swim) Waterfall/Dive/Head Smash/Surf
Fighter (Hitmontop@Muscle Band/Technician) Brick Break/Earthquake/Rock Smash/Stone edge
Armor (Skarmory@Kings Rock/Keen Eye) Steel Wing/Air Slash/Fly/Night Slash
Bear (Ursaring@Silk Scarf/Guts) Hammer Arm/Strength/Rock Climb/Thrash
Time (Celebi@Rose Incense/Natural Cure) Cut/Leaf Storm/Psychic/Magical Leaf

All level 90, my pokemon pride and joys

I've beaten Red a few *Cough**Hundred**Cough* times.

Last edited:
EV training > Rare Candy. I used my under leveled Pokemon to beat him just now.My highest one is level 70 ._. So now time to SR until I get my shiny Charmander! :D

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom